Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

I am registered for the 5k and have never done a race before. People are telling me that if you are in a back corral, it's pretty much impossible to run past all of the walkers ahead of you. I am not a fast runner, but I am not about to walk the 5K. Will I be able to get by people so that I can run? I am a sort of active person, and I am training, not that I really need to train much for the 5k. However, I really want to be able to run. Will this be possible from a back corral? I don't mind politely pushing by people if necessary. I put an 11-12 minute finish time; I my first practice run in less than 13. Thanks

DH and I walked the Marathon Weekend 5K. We were in the last corral but relatively close to the front, so there were many participants behind us. However, once we got through the Start gate the crowd began to space out, and we were passed by many runners who came up behind us. (We kept to the right as much as possible.) By the time we actually entered Epcot there was plenty of room to run. Of course, I don't know what it looked like up ahead of us where those runners who passed us were! :cutie:

I am registered for the 5k and have never done a race before. People are telling me that if you are in a back corral, it's pretty much impossible to run past all of the walkers ahead of you. I am not a fast runner, but I am not about to walk the 5K. Will I be able to get by people so that I can run? I am a sort of active person, and I am training, not that I really need to train much for the 5k. However, I really want to be able to run. Will this be possible from a back corral? I don't mind politely pushing by people if necessary. I put an 11-12 minute finish time; I my first practice run in less than 13. Thanks

If you put an 11-12 minute per mile you won't be placed in a back corral. You'll probably be about middle of the pack. There is no harm in going around people. In theory walkers are supposed to stay to the right, but there are always some not on the right to be honest. I run intervals so I often have to zig zag so I can run during my run intervals and then move over to walk. Just holler on your left and try to be polite about it and all will go well. You'll cruise to the finish line no problem!

If it helps ease your mind, at the January wdw 5k my father-in-law did same estimated finish as you and he was in Corral C and ran the whole thing no problem. I was in a B with maybe a 9-10 or 9:30-10:30 (forget which) so your pace won't be in the way back :). Also Congrats and Welcome!!!!

Very cool -- welcome!! :)

As others have said, you won't be at the back. And except for the 5K trail run for the 2013 ToT (some narrow spots), we've always been able to pass on the left if needed.

Hope you love it!!

DH and I walked the Marathon Weekend 5K. We were in the last corral but relatively close to the front, so there were many participants behind us. However, once we got through the Start gate the crowd began to space out, and we were passed by many runners who came up behind us. (We kept to the right as much as possible.) By the time we actually entered Epcot there was plenty of room to run. Of course, I don't know what it looked like up ahead of us where those runners who passed us were! :cutie:

Yes I think a lot of the crowding talk comes from the halves that run through some tight spots and have larger numbers of runners. The only 5k issues I have had were when the course made a semi sharp turn into world showcase

If you put an 11-12 minute per mile you won't be placed in a back corral. You'll probably be about middle of the pack. There is no harm in going around people. In theory walkers are supposed to stay to the right, but there are always some not on the right to be honest. I run intervals so I often have to zig zag so I can run during my run intervals and then move over to walk. Just holler on your left and try to be polite about it and all will go well. You'll cruise to the finish line no problem!

This used to be "running code" but over the last few years running organizations and RD have stated runners in the middle, walk to either side of the course. I'd assume due to the rising popularity of run-walking. That said, during very tiny, congested sections like the castle or HS path common sense would say be polite and go to one side to leave room since there isn't even space to have a middle! (Thank goodness they are changing the dark side course - flashbacks!)

Yes I think a lot of the crowding talk comes from the halves that run through some tight spots and have larger numbers of runners. The only 5k issues I have had were when the course made a semi sharp turn into world showcase

This used to be "running code" but over the last few years running organizations and RD have stated runners in the middle, walk to either side of the course. I'd assume due to the rising popularity of run-walking. That said, during very tiny, congested sections like the castle or HS path common sense would say be polite and go to one side to leave room since there isn't even space to have a middle! (Thank goodness they are changing the dark side course - flashbacks!)

Interesting. At Light Side they specifically asked people to signal and walk to the right. I can't remember what they said at W&D last couple years or Princess though to be honest.

I am as anxious as everyone to see the course! I am really hoping for a good one!

So if I'm Disney, I have a nearly sold out 3-day event about 8mos out. I think rD is doing ok. :D
I would have agreed that they were doing great 2 years ago. I think they are getting really close to a tipping point. They have added races and increased prices to a point that they are not selling out all of their races like they used to. There are also so many other races other than Disney now. I find it interesting that they no longer post a percentage full on their site. Could it be that they could then choose to say the race is sold out at any time to keep the demand up? We will see what occurs over the next year or two. I believe they will start having decreased numbers if they continue to offer basically the same race for every event and keep upping the price.

I would have agreed that they were doing great 2 years ago. I think they are getting really close to a tipping point. They have added races and increased prices to a point that they are not selling out all of their races like they used to. There are also so many other races other than Disney now. I find it interesting that they no longer post a percentage full on their site. Could it be that they could then choose to say the race is sold out at any time to keep the demand up? We will see what occurs over the next year or two. I believe they will start having decreased numbers if they continue to offer basically the same race for every event and keep upping the price.
All evidence to the contrary so far! Looks like they're doing FINE... (and 2016 figure doesn't include 5K racers)! 2015 was without Everest; 2016 shows addition of Dark Side. :)

Untitled.jpg

See this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/have-we-reached-the-saturation-point.3572498/page-19

These data that @rteetz found online (probably not PERFECT, but as he said, probably best we'll get!):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bc0SMFc6rYhM-NJlnI38i0edKOGyoTquv0VbHFdB8vY/htmlview#

Last edited:
any way to get into these races now that they are sold out? namely the 5k? do they open spots at times as time goes on?

any way to get into these races now that they are sold out? namely the 5k? do they open spots at times as time goes on?

You could try a charity or a travel provider. Go to the registration page for the race and you will a list of each.

Short answer is yes ... they'll open and close periodically... I always assumed it was when travel agents or charities returned bibs. It's entirely hit and miss though.

Brian

All evidence to the contrary so far! Looks like they're doing FINE... (and 2016 figure doesn't include 5K racers)! 2015 was without Everest; 2016 shows addition of Dark Side. :)

View attachment 223359

See this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/have-we-reached-the-saturation-point.3572498/page-19

These data that @rteetz found online (probably not PERFECT, but as he said, probably best we'll get!):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bc0SMFc6rYhM-NJlnI38i0edKOGyoTquv0VbHFdB8vY/htmlview#

This data is right in line with what I have found. The number of runners in the US peaked in 2013. The number of races offered to runners has continued to increase each year even with the decline in the number of runners. While they are adding more runners simply by adding more races, the number of runners per race is going down. Short of the Princess and Wine and Dine, many of the races are not selling out like they used to several years ago. I'm not saying this is a bad thing as I prefer to have less runners in a race if I am running. I wonder how long the trend of lower numbers per race has to continue before Run Disney changes their philosophy.

I wonder how long the trend of lower numbers per race has to continue before Run Disney changes their philosophy.
Why would they change their philosophy? It's a bottom line question as with any business. If Revenue >> Expenses, consistently over time, they ARE doing the "right" thing.

If most runners are like you and prefer more races with fewer runners, sounds like that business model could work for them, too.

We'll never get a look at the rD financials. I'd suspect that any moves we see them make are dictated largely by bottom line -- as they should be for a business. If that bottom line is healthy, customers are happy, they come back again, and help keep that bottom line healthy... virtuous cycle.

I love having 5K, 10K, half for every race. I suspect their move in that direction reflects feedback they received. And their total runner numbers seem to suggest this move was a good one. There's a vocal group on DIS that doesn't agree. I can only assume that isn't representative when you look at these numbers.

Short of the Princess and Wine and Dine, many of the races are not selling out like they used to several years ago.
Just a quick thought on W&D: if one had taken the predictions here by some vocal posters, one would have expected W&D to be a DISASTER now that it's no longer a night race. Just like FP+ was going to be the death of WDW. Obviously now, quite the contrary on both counts.

As an aside... Just instructive wrt anecdotal info & board dynamics on who posts, etc. vs. actual facts / data. I'll never have all the data I'd love to have to analyze Disney!! But I'll always be circumspect in any conclusions I dare to draw.

Last edited:
Are there any Raw Thread Club members that have a buddy pass for W&D half they'd be willing to share with me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!