Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

I think maybe I'm just plain old... In my mind, medals are round and metal-colored: gold, silver or bronze. On the one hand, I want to applaud the creativity shown in these, and on the other, I want to curse whoever decided rectangles were a good idea. But in the end, I honestly do not care about race medals for more than the 5 seconds when they're put around my neck. I'm still hoping for reduced registration by way of declining a medal someday, lol!

I think maybe I'm just plain old... In my mind, medals are round and metal-colored: gold, silver or bronze. On the one hand, I want to applaud the creativity shown in these, and on the other, I want to curse whoever decided rectangles were a good idea. But in the end, I honestly do not care about race medals for more than the 5 seconds when they're put around my neck. I'm still hoping for reduced registration by way of declining a medal someday, lol!

From your lips!!!

I love the medals! I actually wish I was doing the challenge now!

FWIW my favorite wine and dine medal was the old one that looked like space ship earth. First, SSE is cool and second, I always thought it looked like an Olympic silver medal and my inner child was over the moon to get that as my first medal I'd ever received. Now that I've done more races, I like all the different designs.

The unique medals are a step in the right direction to making me feel glad I signed up for the half.I mean medals that generally look similar from year to year just get boring,the full marathon for example had a run from 2014-2016 that the medals just looked very similar,the one this year was a nice change.I don't think the medals are that amazing but they're nice and different,I'm also somewhat regretting not doing the challenge as I like the 10k and challenge medals but I'm okay just doing the half,these races are expensive and I've told myself to chill out on how much I'm spending on these races.Now if RunDisney would switch to the Star Wars course instead of the lame half course from last year it would let me know they're doing the right thing.

Ok after looking at the medals again I have serious challenge medal envy. Why is there no way to turn a half registration into a challenge after the fact!?

Love these! Much better than the medal I got for the Half of a Half back in 2015 (easily my least-favorite RD medal of all the races I've done).

Atypical medal designs have become my favorite lately - I did a wine relay earlier this year and the medal had a fold-out usable corkscrew. Another medal I have has a leather buckle and a moveable spur.

The passport medal is amazing and basically sums up my favorite thing about Disney (the World Showcase and traveling around the world), so I'm so excited I signed up for the challenge on a whim.

And the accompanying artwork just means that the race shirts are going to be TOTES ADORBS.

*sigh* I'll be the voice of discontent, but I have a valid reason, so here goes: the 10K medal is sideways. I get it, it's supposed to be a luggage tag (which, sorry, I think is tacky looking), but with all of the other medals being vertical and the 10K medal being horizontal, my perfectionist tendencies are boiling right now.

Also, I hate that the challenge medal has to be opened for you to be able to tell what it is, but that's not a huge deal.

And I have to agree with @Figment1990 about loving the classic SSSE medal design from years past. One of my favorite medals of all time was the W&D medal from 2012 (it's almost as big as my hand!).

How many people do the 5k just at a fast walk? Is there many people that do that as a family? I assume the start groups separate by run times as not to drive the real marathoners crazy.

How many people do the 5k just at a fast walk? Is there many people that do that as a family? I assume the start groups separate by run times as not to drive the real marathoners crazy.
All sorts of paces & people do the 5k from fast as can be runners to walkers to speed walkers to run/walkers. Lots of kids run it as well and families that stay together. Yes, you are broken out by time into corrals. The first, A corral, is your fastest pace and the last corral is your slowest pace (16 min/mile). There are 5 Corrals I think usually for the 5k. They go off of your pace you put at time of registration for putting you in the proper corrals, although sometimes it does seem kind of random with how they do this. The 5ks are so much fun!

I don't like the half or 10k medals at all. I am really disappointed. I am travelling transatlantic, spending $1000s, to do this as a one-off Disney half marathon and that medal is a horrible, cheap looking thing. The round ones from previous years and other races are so much nicer in comparison (Disneyland Paris 2017 Half medal- so beautiful!).
The W and D half one looks like a conference lanyard; it's awful :-(
I know it's not the be all and end all, but a nice medal at the end and as a souvenir would have been really special.
I like the 5k and the challenge medals. I'd nearly sign up for those if I could just to get those as a compensation, but I will only arrive in FL on Saturday morning.
#gutted

Quite a few people (to both questions).
I am more likely to walk during the 5K and soak up the atmosphere and 'fun-ness' of the event. Its a whole lot less serious than a timed run.
They separate the field to ease congestion on the course, but there will most likely be quite a bit anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter