Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Quite a few people (to both questions).
I am more likely to walk during the 5K and soak up the atmosphere and 'fun-ness' of the event. Its a whole lot less serious than a timed run.
They separate the field to ease congestion on the course, but there will most likely be quite a bit anyway.
Yeah we just want to do for fun as long as no one gets cranky getting up for the 5k. I am a morning person, but rest of family is not.

How many people do the 5k just at a fast walk? Is there many people that do that as a family? I assume the start groups separate by run times as not to drive the real marathoners crazy.
Just echoing... all sort of paces. DS12 breezes through them at 7min pace, DH walks them at fast pace, and the rest of our family is somewhere in between. Sometimes we all (5 of us) do the 5K together at a randomized-by-us-with-stops-for-pics run/walk.

You'll see everything!! It's all good! :)

I am ok with the medals. This will probably be my only runDisney event and since I am travelling for it, theme is great. I like Epcot, it was fairly new when I went to WDW as a kid. And I am super happy to see Mickey on the medals instead of a less recognizable character. I think the reason I did not say wow at first is the rectangular shape. But, I will be running the challenge and will have earned those medals so they will be great when they hang around my neck!

Just echoing... all sort of paces. DS12 breezes through them at 7min pace, DH walks them at fast pace, and the rest of our family is somewhere in between. Sometimes we all (5 of us) do the 5K together at a randomized-by-us-with-stops-for-pics run/walk.

You'll see everything!! It's all good! :)

Good to know!! Thanks!

I am a bit disappointed in the medals. As someone mentioned earlier, the rectangular shapes remind me conference lanyards. This is my first RunDisney event, and I'm still very excited of course (doing the Two Course challenge), but I do think these are tacky and confusing... "what is it?! Oh, it's a race medal... for your first half marathon... hmm... yeah, ok."

I really like the 5k, 10k, and challenge medals. Not as much a fan of the half.

Now, if only I could borrow a kid to get the best medal of the whole group... :figment:

How many people do the 5k just at a fast walk? Is there many people that do that as a family? I assume the start groups separate by run times as not to drive the real marathoners crazy.

I think everyone answered the question. There are lots of people who do the 5k as a group or family at all kinds of different speeds. I happen to run to picture stops, wait, run to the next pic stop, wait, etc. Where others just keep moving with no stops, so it all gets jumbled up. It's a fun run with no official timing, so my guess is the overall pace is slower than most non-disney 5ks. However...make sure your family knows what a mile or more feels like at 16 min pace; for some people it's a very fast walk and for others its an easy walk (we all have our own walking speeds.) You can totally train to walk this!

To add to what others have said, the 5K is a pretty relaxed race. The 16 minute pace doesn't start to be timed until the last participants cross the Start line, so those who start earlier have extra time to stop for character photos, etc. DH did the Marathon Weekend 5K with me in January only because DD & DSiL were doing it too. He's not a runner, and his best pace walking is probably 20 minutes. We started near the front of the last corral and just walked at a steady comfortable pace, with one potty break and one photo stop, and we were not the last to finish! So if your family is trained to a 16 minute mile, it means you can stop for more photos!

ETA DD & DSiL started 2 corrals ahead of us and finished just after we started. DH officially retired from "racing" and we promised not to coerce him anymore. Not sure about me!

Last edited:
We just found out yesterday our dates were marathon dates which does not matter as the 5k is sold out. I know we won't do the half. :(

Not sure if this was asked already, when do they usually release the route? I watched last years to get a rough idea as this will be my first and it seemed like a lot of road. Do you think they'll add HS back to it as they did for the Star Wars half? Seems like the same route just in reverse.

Not sure if this was asked already, when do they usually release the route? I watched last years to get a rough idea as this will be my first and it seemed like a lot of road. Do you think they'll add HS back to it as they did for the Star Wars half? Seems like the same route just in reverse.

Probably not until a couple weeks before the race. No matter what it is, there will be a lot of road if you referring to the half. But my guess is they will use the same course as Star Wars.

As for the medals, I really like them all. I'm a fan of trying to do something different with them. The half medal reminds of Ragnar medals which were always pretty cool.

The medals are "interesting"! At least they're different from any other medals I have. I like the 10k one the best.

I like the 10K and challenge medals more than the half but unfortunately at this moment all I can do is the half :upsidedow
To bad we couldn't tag team challenge. I'm doing 10k and reserving my dreams of 13.1 for Princess.

Probably not until a couple weeks before the race. No matter what it is, there will be a lot of road if you referring to the half. But my guess is they will use the same course as Star Wars.

As for the medals, I really like them all. I'm a fan of trying to do something different with them. The half medal reminds of Ragnar medals which were always pretty cool.

Yes! They do look like Ragnar medals!!

Like I said, I like atypical medals. Frankly, Marathon Weekend this year was the most random and non-cohesive set of RunDisney medals I have to date ... and the only one I really liked was the throwback Marathon medal. The rest were kind of like "***" to me - I like when things look like a collection, so I'm pretty thrilled with these.

Yes! They do look like Ragnar medals!!

Like I said, I like atypical medals. Frankly, Marathon Weekend this year was the most random and non-cohesive set of RunDisney medals I have to date ... and the only one I really liked was the throwback Marathon medal. The rest were kind of like "***" to me - I like when things look like a collection, so I'm pretty thrilled with these.

I agree on the marathon weekend medals this year,I only did the full so I got the nicest one of the bunch.The Pluto 5k medal I kinda liked though,the 10k was "meh" and the weird half medal doomed the race from the start,I don't remember many people getting excited over the 20th half after seeing that medal.

I agree on the marathon weekend medals this year,I only did the full so I got the nicest one of the bunch.The Pluto 5k medal I kinda liked though,the 10k was "meh" and the weird half medal doomed the race from the start,I don't remember many people getting excited over the 20th half after seeing that medal.

Yeah, exactly. I liked the 5K because it was cute and metal, but then you get to the weird circular-saw replica Goofy medal and then Bath Salts Dopey and it just looked like interns got a chance to design medals. :confused3

With regards to the pace of the 5K, what kind of pace/times are the first finishers, people at the front of the pack, running?

Also, I've not seen anywhere else but what are the participation numbers for the 5K? The RD site uses the '%' bar to indicate how full a race is but theres never any mention of the actual entry numbers.

With regards to the pace of the 5K, what kind of pace/times are the first finishers, people at the front of the pack, running?

Also, I've not seen anywhere else but what are the participation numbers for the 5K? The RD site uses the '%' bar to indicate how full a race is but theres never any mention of the actual entry numbers.

The front of the pack can be as fast as 5 minute miles. Some people that can run that fast end up with slightly longer times because of character stops and such.

I feel like there's a jump from the very fastest to the people in the middle. Like @Dis_Yoda said, the very fastest can run 5-6 min miles but they will be a smaller percentage of the field (even a small percentage of the front corral.) I've been in B for a rundisney 5k with a 9:30ish min mile at the time and my father-in-law was in C with an 11 min mile. So I hope that kind of gives you an idea of at least where the middle pace is. Somewhere around 10-12 is the middle. Just a guess. You will find more walkers the farther back you go, but lots of people do a mix of run and walk so there will be people doing both in almost every corral.

Sidenote: I added 10 min to my finish time from two character stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter