• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

As for me.....will try my 10 miler tomorrow when I get back from LA.

And for everyone who needs a laugh....I will be doing Goofy for the first time with minimal training, no back-to-back runs and my longest LR since August is 8 miles. Oh, and I'm probably going to wreck my foot in the process.Feel better about your own training yet? :laughing:

Maura

Oh ouch Maura. Good luck! I know this won't make you feel any better, but it does inspire me that I can do this if you can!

Okay, so I did 6 miles on Saturday after 4 weeks off and a turkey trot on Thursday. It went pretty well. My hips felt a bit out of whack so I had to keep paying attention to my gait. I went to see my PT today and he thought everything continued to look good and was impressed I was able to do a 6 miler. He looked over my modified training plan (Thank you Coach Charles for helping me figure that out!!! :thumbsup2 ) and he thought it looked good. He had me move my longest run 3 weeks before the race and otherwise gave me his blessing pixiedust: So I will do 10 miles this weekend and see how that feels.

That 6 miles was cold last weekend. The windchill was 11 degrees the time we were out. Brrrr. But I had on the right amount of layers and felt pretty good. So yay!

...[snip]...
Just make sure that you do not go out too slow on the half eg walking a half at a 16 minute pace may not be a great idea if you are a 10 minute runner... Just head out at training pace both mornings.

If well trained, I usually run the half harder than a training pace. The logic is that one only has fresh legs one day of the weekend and why not take advantage of the fresh legs... It's really a practice in understanding recovery and working a little magic on Saturday afternoon. In 7 Goofies, I have PR'd the half 4 times, PR'd the full once and set a personal course record for the the full once. The last couple years I have come in a little under trained and have just run training run pace. I actually like the former strategy but understand that leaves one open for a longer Sunday if things do not go right.

Thanks Coach! That's exactly what I was talking about - how to find the perfect balance of not too fast and not too slow. So far (knock on wood) I would say I'm pretty well-trained and what you're saying about taking advantage of fresh legs for the half absolutely makes sense...so who knows? Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. :upsidedow

At the last minute, I decided to run a half marathon on Thanksgiving at my parents' house. I figured it was easier than scoping out a long run through a bunch of neighborhoods and the race came within blocks of their house so I'd probably be using the same roads. I didn't go start with any plans other than to treat it like a long(ish) run. I worked very hard to start slow and stay fresh and was able to finish with a PR by 19 minutes (2:44)! I am still slow, but I am so much happier with my time. I was very comfortable at the end of the race and walked partway back to my parents house before calling for a ride to finish out the few miles.

We of course sat down and ate a huge lunch then watched too much tv after. By that evening my left outer hip region was killing me. What is that? What do I do to strength it? I feel confident that I can put my feet one after the other for 26.2 in January, but I want to take care of these little hinderances. My groin muscles hurt for long runs, but this hip pain was totally unwelcome.

Thanks for all the advice and support! I love this forum and am so excited for January. I'm already starting the pre-race nightmares - no gels, no socks, overslept...

Nice pr....congrats! It sounds like maybe your IT band is tight. The best thing you can do for that is to stretch it frequently (google IT band stretches) and use a foam roller or stick.

@robynslp...I agree with jimandami - get yourself a foam roller! It will HURT, but you'll notice a difference if you use it regularly. I had similar hip pain a few weeks ago (at least it sounds similar to what you have) and foam rolling really helped.

Check out the Iliotibial Band video on this page: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/roll?page=single

You'll feel it!

I posted it here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002160 as well but I was checking to see if there are any back of the packers that would like to join a group with the goal of only finishing the full marathon. I was hoping for a few people that are in the 15-16 minute per mile range......I know many of you have the goal to just finish but will be considerably faster than 15-16 minutes per mile. Anywho....come on over to that thread if you are interested.

Yesterday I did 17 miles. Around mile 12-13ish I started to get pain behind my knee on the leg where the bend is (not under the kneecap) where the calf and hamstring muscles meet. Well I can barely move that leg now. Bending it is fine, like sitting on a chair it doesn't hurt at all. But walking, moving, getting up and down it is excrusciating! I can't straighten it at all. It is not sore, it is PAIN. I have an appointment with Sports Med Doc on Thursday but does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I see the transfer date is Dec 1, which doesn't do me any good anyway. But when is the Deferrment deadline, if there is one?
Does anyone have any info on the deferment? Has anyone here had to defer before?

After have a great 20 miler this weekend, I had some niggling ankle pain that drove me to the doc today. Just got back from an x-ray, but he believes I have a stress fracture. He's referring me to a podiatrist as well, but he seemed pretty confident it is a stress fracture to my shin. I'm kind of reeling right now and just want to get my options together.

I called to found out a little about it a few weeks ago. I was told that you can defer up to 30 days before the event and that the fee to transfer the race entry to next year is $35.

irishtwins1112 said:
I called to found out a little about it a few weeks ago. I was told that you can defer up to 30 days before the event and that the fee to transfer the race entry to next year is $35.

You aren't planning on deferring, are you?

Nope. I did check into it a few weeks ago because I wasn't sure what the deal was with the pain in my foot but since I went to the dr I think I am good.

irishtwins1112 said:
Nope. I did check into it a few weeks ago because I wasn't sure what the deal was with the pain in my foot but since I went to the dr I think I am good.

That's great news!

Thanks so much! Those of us fighting injury still have a little time to decide :)

Straggling over---didn't realize our last thread got locked.

The good news-- finally got new shoes and love them. Had no idea how much I'd been rolling in the old ones. 11 miles under the belt now!
Also discovered the beauty of KT Tape. Shin splints are almost gone!

The bad news-- too many runs in the old shoes have led to very sore hamstrings on my left leg. Resting until Saturday. Gonna try hamstring taping for a short run. NSAIDS and icing it when I can. A bit hard to ice properly with a three year old. lol

I need to catch up now. Hope all are doing well!!!!

Straggling over---didn't realize our last thread got locked.

The good news-- finally got new shoes and love them. Had no idea how much I'd been rolling in the old ones. 11 miles under the belt now!
Also discovered the beauty of KT Tape. Shin splints are almost gone!

The bad news-- too many runs in the old shoes have led to very sore hamstrings on my left leg. Resting until Saturday. Gonna try hamstring taping for a short run. NSAIDS and icing it when I can. A bit hard to ice properly with a three year old. lol

I need to catch up now. Hope all are doing well!!!!

Oh, KT tape, I <3 you. It's been my friend for a long time now and I always turn people onto it. Also, one strip cut into smaller squares (i usually manage 24+ per strip) works much better (and significantly cheaper) than nipple protectors for runs if you run into chaffing issues.

I also ran into the not realizing the other thread was closed, but I lurk more than post:)

Two weeks ago 18 miler was awesome, great consistent pace @ 36 seconds faster overall than my goal time. This weekend I have a tough mudder race and my main goal there is not to get hurt, nice and slow.

Glad to see everyone is doing well overall in the new thread and things are progressing quickly. Looking forward to the taper in a couple weeks:)

Oh, KT tape, I <3 you. It's been my friend for a long time now and I always turn people onto it. Also, one strip cut into smaller squares (i usually manage 24+ per strip) works much better (and significantly cheaper) than nipple protectors for runs if you run into chaffing issues.

I also ran into the not realizing the other thread was closed, but I lurk more than post:)

Two weeks ago 18 miler was awesome, great consistent pace @ 36 seconds faster overall than my goal time. This weekend I have a tough mudder race and my main goal there is not to get hurt, nice and slow.

Glad to see everyone is doing well overall in the new thread and things are progressing quickly. Looking forward to the taper in a couple weeks:)

Have fun at the TM! We did Indiana in June and it was a lot of fun....well, except for that whole electroshock therapy thing! Try to stay warm!

Have fun at the TM! We did Indiana in June and it was a lot of fun....well, except for that whole electroshock therapy thing! Try to stay warm!

I'm actually just crazy enough that I'm looking forward to that one the most:) Down in FL it's been warm the past few days so I'm hoping that holds out a bit.

I'm actually just crazy enough that I'm looking forward to that one the most:) Down in FL it's been warm the past few days so I'm hoping that holds out a bit.

And I thought I was crazy!! It didn't really hurt but it did pick me up off the ground and thrown me down sideways :rotfl2:

Hi all! I'm enjoying reading about how everyone's training is going!

I went to an ortho yesterday about my knee. He wants me to get an MRI just to rule out anything crazy but both he and my PT don't think it's really anything serious. I was able to do some leg raise type exercises at PT today and am walking without a limp. I haven't gotten back to running but am hopeful I can soon. I am extremely nervous about the marathon. Both doc and PT think that I should be ok since I have an 18 miler under my belt. I hope they are right. Still not being able to run and less than 7 weeks til the race seems a little nutsy to me. Thoughts anyone?

Hi all! I'm enjoying reading about how everyone's training is going!

I went to an ortho yesterday about my knee. He wants me to get an MRI just to rule out anything crazy but both he and my PT don't think it's really anything serious. I was able to do some leg raise type exercises at PT today and am walking without a limp. I haven't gotten back to running but am hopeful I can soon. I am extremely nervous about the marathon. Both doc and PT think that I should be ok since I have an 18 miler under my belt. I hope they are right. Still not being able to run and less than 7 weeks til the race seems a little nutsy to me. Thoughts anyone?

You are 5 miles longer than my current longest run. I am positive that you can get the miles in as long as you keep your head up, shoulders back, take nice deep breaths and wear a smile. Just head out on Race Morning and think "Relentless Pursuit of Forward Momentum."

A question for Coach or anyone else who has any ideas:

This weekend I did back to back long runs - 10 miles Saturday, 20 miles Sunday. It was rather cold and windy (with snow squalls) both days. I wore the exact same clothes both days-compression tights, l/s tech shirt, wind breaker, gloves and headband. After Saturdays run, I was busy doing "stuff" around the house. Felt no post-run tightness or pain in the quads or hammies. Sunday I had no issues prior to running. After I finished my 20 miles, I had to walk about 1/4 mile to the car. Went home with my thighs feeling numb from the cold and took a long hot shower.

I have not had one iota of muscle soreness since. Whats up with that? Was it due to the 4 hours in the cold and then the hot shower? I had the typical "can't do stairs/sitting on the toilet" pain after my 20 miler in September and my marathon attempt last month. Not that I am complaining, mind you, but am curious as to why this is. Cause if I can replicate it at Marathon Weekend, I would love to since we are going on a cruise right after the race. Any thoughts appreciated!

A question for Coach or anyone else who has any ideas:

This weekend I did back to back long runs - 10 miles Saturday, 20 miles Sunday. It was rather cold and windy (with snow squalls) both days. I wore the exact same clothes both days-compression tights, l/s tech shirt, wind breaker, gloves and headband. After Saturdays run, I was busy doing "stuff" around the house. Felt no post-run tightness or pain in the quads or hammies. Sunday I had no issues prior to running. After I finished my 20 miles, I had to walk about 1/4 mile to the car. Went home with my thighs feeling numb from the cold and took a long hot shower.

I have not had one iota of muscle soreness since. Whats up with that? Was it due to the 4 hours in the cold and then the hot shower? I had the typical "can't do stairs/sitting on the toilet" pain after my 20 miler in September and my marathon attempt last month. Not that I am complaining, mind you, but am curious as to why this is. Cause if I can replicate it at Marathon Weekend, I would love to since we are going on a cruise right after the race. Any thoughts appreciated!

Compression and cold temps do help, but so do miles and experience. Enjoy it. It won't feel that way every weekend, but you will probably notice feeling better more often than you used to.

First, let me say that I am sorry for all the folks with injuries! Been there, and it sucks.

My long run on Saturday was 14 miles and it was pretty miserable. Snowing lightly, and gusty winds for the first 5-6 miles, enough to blow me around a little and chill me to my core. I walked a little longer on some of my intervals and felt pretty down. I also struggled with some anxiety at the beginning of the run as it was my longest to date. At mile 10 I stopped at a restaurant to use the bathroom and have a coffee, and then it got dark (and was still windy and at freezing). I was cold and damp, and so rather than suffer the rest of the mileage home, I got picked up and drove to the gym where I finished the remaining miles on the dreadmill. Felt good that I kept at it, even with all the temptation to go home, but put in that remaining hour of time for a good total of 14 miles and 3 hours on my feet. I wished that I had kept at it in a way, just to do it in one go, rather than break it up. I did go immediately to the gym and run with no lollygagging, but still I admit to being a little disappointed that I don't have a 14 mile road run under my belt.

This weekend I am pulling back a bit and running 10/5 miles Sat/Sun. Next weekend I am running 15.5/6.5. I have other shorter runs mid-week (tempo runs and hills), and I am cross-training at the gym with 60 minutes cardio + 30 minutes weight training 3 times a week. I'm trying to drop about 10 pounds before the race, yet still eating really well and fuelling myself for runs.

I am super pleased to report that my knee pain that was so acute in October has continued to get better and better and is 98% resolved. I still get some weird 'twanging' sensations in my knee when my gait slips, feels like a tendon being plucked on the inside aspect of my knee, and I still get quite a bit of muscle stiffness and aching during and after runs, but I am grateful to be pain-free!

I am super intimidated by the remaining long runs. 5 more to go.

:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter