Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

Praying to the running gods for you. Hope you can find relief soon.

I am back to running after a month off for a sprained ankle. I need some help planning the rest of my long runs. What do you think of this plan:
11/24: 5 miles (I did 2 miles on Wed and 3 on Thursday. These were my first runs in a month. I'm tempted to try 7. Is that smart)
12/1: 9-10 miles?
12/8: 13-15miles
12/15: 17-20 miles
12/22: 20 -23?
Taper after that
Is this crazy? I have compressed time but.want to get back to do at least 20. Would feel better if I could get a 23 done but don't want hurt myself. Last long run was 17 miles a month ago. Maybe I don't need to build up again? Thoughts?

I have no clue but I'd be interested in hearing what other people say. Good luck! I think the only thing I could say is to just take it easy and listen to your body!

This is my first peak week (55 miles) and I am faring well so far. Happy for the long weekend and the chance to run in daylight. The other peak weeks won't be nearly as fun.

Wow! That's a lot of miles! Nice work! I have a feeling you will be leaving a lot of is in your dust in january!

froggygrrrl Congrats on the PR! The older and more injury prone I get, it is ironic that I realize how important the MENTAL part of running is.So I can totally understand why you needed that PR. Glad you got it.

rocio Glad you're back to running. I don't really have any good advice, other than "don't run if it hurts!". And I don't think you need to push past 20 (or even 16-18).

Nancy pixiedust: for that knee

I am enjoying the weather in sunny LA this week and won't run til next Tuesday. Hope everyone had a good Turkey Day. So much work for one meal. Why didn't I cater it!

Maura

Thanks so much. Enjoy the weather:beach:

I couldn't sign up for an official Turkey Trot yesterday so I ran my own! :rotfl: I have a terrible cold and the stupid race director (me!) picked a hilly course. I finished my 5k in 32:40. I've already had a few people say that they want to run my 5k next THanksgiving. :rotfl2:

Amanda
Well if you're not too far in westchester I will run your 5k too! You will have to give it a good name :)

Went to my PT appointment today. He still doesn't think there is anying structurally wrong, just perhaps some soft tissue damage. It is so frustrating being in the much pain for a whole week already. Hopefully it will be feeling better soon. Each day that passes makes me more and more worried about the marathon :(

Ran a 10k Turkey Trot and the weather was just beautiful!! I got a PR of 58:52, but the best part is I didn't have to run by myself! I had four other friends that came with me. We had a great time! :grouphug:

Happy Thanksgiving to All! Wonderful weather yesterday for the over 3,500 in the Flying Feather Four Miler. My sister and I had a great time bringing up the back of the pack as the balloon team.

We don't sweep people like the Disney team, but make sure you don't finish last! I love being able to give back to our local running community this way as a volunteer. Helps me remember and honor those who were so supportive of me when I first started running and re-energizes my own training for my first full.

Next up will be the Holiday Run, but I will be doing that solo since my sister will be visiting her daughter and my son at WDW where both are cast members. I will be in an elf hat hat and she will be in mouse ears that weekend. Great headgear no matter how you look at it! LOL.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I did my long run (18) today because the weather is supposed to be crappy here in PA tomorrow. It was great except for a downpour between miles 9-12 when I thought about calling it quits (but would have had to call someone to pick me up - which would take 30 minutes when I could just run 60 minutes back to my car).

My 18 went a lot better today than my 17 did last Saturday! Felt great! :thumbsup2

Well if you're not too far in westchester I will run your 5k too! You will have to give it a good name :)

Went to my PT appointment today. He still doesn't think there is anying structurally wrong, just perhaps some soft tissue damage. It is so frustrating being in the much pain for a whole week already. Hopefully it will be feeling better soon. Each day that passes makes me more and more worried about the marathon :(

I'm in Scarsdale but I work in the Bronx. :thumbsup2

I hope you start to feel better!!!

Amanda

Coach--I couldn't reply to your post to me from the last thread so I'm pasting it here

Great job and completing 16! Continue rest, ice and elevation. Head to Target or a sports store and get yourself a foam roller. Then google leg foam roller

Here is a good overall set of vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0OP8_PHmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ProyB...feature=relmfu

The cues are to NOT roll over a joint. Focus on points of tenderness. You can modify down by not putting as much weight on the roller.

If the knee is still painful next week, head to the doc for a look.

I have the stick that I use for my calves after I got bad shin splints in the spring and I haven't had any since. Will the Stick work for my knee too? My knee is feeling lots better. It doesn't hurt when I walk anymore, just if I accidently hit it on something. I haven't run since then since I will be getting new shoes on Sunday and was afraid to run in my old shoes!

DisneyRunnerGirl said:
Happy Thanksgiving to All! Wonderful weather yesterday for the over 3,500 in the Flying Feather Four Miler. My sister and I had a great time bringing up the back of the pack as the balloon team.

We don't sweep people like the Disney team, but make sure you don't finish last! I love being able to give back to our local running community this way as a volunteer. Helps me remember and honor those who were so supportive of me when I first started running and re-energizes my own training for my first full.

Next up will be the Holiday Run, but I will be doing that solo since my sister will be visiting her daughter and my son at WDW where both are cast members. I will be in an elf hat hat and she will be in mouse ears that weekend. Great headgear no matter how you look at it! LOL.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I did the Turkey Trot 5 miler. It is fun running through campus, especially by the stadium. But I almost did Flying Feather. I think I'll do that one next year for a change and the wine! Plus, I think that race organizer does a nice job. I volunteered for them before for Cap City.

I would love to bring up the pack at a local race! Maybe I'll contact them to see if they need any extra volunteers for that job. If not before the marathon then maybe at a race next spring.

I also got to try out my new Garmin on that race. Wonderful! I'm glad I finally bought one. My cell phone app measured 5.2 miles. Garmin 4.93. So maybe the watch will keep me more honest with mileage. Also, the miles were not marked on the course, or if they were I never noticed them!

Hey Everyone got a question. Sorry if it is a repeat; haven't been here for a few weeks. Were the Christmas decorations up still during the race last year?? Thanks!

Hey Everyone got a question. Sorry if it is a repeat; haven't been here for a few weeks. Were the Christmas decorations up still during the race last year?? Thanks!

Yup they were. That being said, the race is late this year, calendar-wise, so I wouldn't expect it.

Got 16 miles in today, 27 total for this week..hoping to get 4 miles in tomorrow, even if it is just walking. This is the most I have ever run in a week before! I know it's not a lot for most of you but this is a big mental win for me! :)

I hope everyone had a great long run if you did yours today--or a good luck if yours is tomorrow!

I did 10 today, have 20 on the dock tomorrow. I actually find the hardest thing to be finding all these hours of podcasts to listen to. I get bored too easily.

I did 10 today, have 20 on the dock tomorrow. I actually find the hardest thing to be finding all these hours of podcasts to listen to. I get bored too easily.

After starting to listen to podcasts while running this week, it seems that they are the only thing that is helping me get through long runs! Do you have any recommendations for any good ones?

I like NPRs podcasts. All Songs Considered. Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me. Car Talk. The Diane Rehm Show is interesting for news and politics.

I ran a 5K Turkey Trot on Thursday, a 10.27 mile training run on Friday, and the Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half today (Saturday). It was a mini-Dopey for me and it was a lot of fun -- even though it snowed on me on Friday and it was bitterly cold (26F) during the Half. But they are all in the books, 32 miles for the week, and I survived! Now for two days of Rest.... :rotfl2:

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was special!

After starting to listen to podcasts while running this week, it seems that they are the only thing that is helping me get through long runs! Do you have any recommendations for any good ones?

I usually listen to the DIS Unplugged, some Survivor podcasts, maybe a This American Life and then music.

kmg148 said:

I listen to a lot of podcasts - they're all I listen to when I do training runs. (During races I listen to music... but I like to save the music for races or for the last miles of a long training run!) I listen to a wide range, but here are a few Disney-specific choices:

DIS Unplugged, WDW Today, The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill, The Mickey Miles Podcast, WDW Radio, Wedway Radio, Wedway NOW!, Inside the Magic, and the Be Our Guest Podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I want to second the Mickey Miles podcast -- it's a newish one and it's FANTASTIC. I just wish it'd been around when I started training for my first Disney race :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter