Official Star Wars Weekends 2014 Tips and Tricks

I expected the 16th, because it always seemed like it began the weekend before Memorial day.......

I wanted to go the first weekend, for various reasons. I sort of FORGOT about all the chaos from the Ebay sellers that would go on that weekend though. :crazy2:

I mostly like HyperSpace Hoopla, meeting a couple of characters, the parade. I would like to maybe buy something, but not if it is chaotic to even try. I had enough of THAT at D23. The Ebayers have taken over the shopping there.

Now I feel really disappointed. When I saw the dates in the first post, I thought we were in luck because I could plan our trip for June 14 - 20 and be able to catch the end of SWW while my girls would only miss the last 3 days of school since they get out on June 18. Perfect! But now it looks more likely that it won't be that weekend based on other predictions. I swore I would not take my kids out of school for a Disney trip, but I already told DH last night about likely being able to do SWW and he was SO excited. I guess we could go June 7 - 13 instead to be safe, but I really don't want to take them out of school. Then I tell myself, they are just in pre-k and kindergarten, they won't be involved in state testing, and they didn't do much that last full week of school last year when my oldest was in pre-k. DH is a huge Star Wars fan, my girls both like the movies and my 6 year old especially loves the Clone Wars animated series. What a dilemma. It's amazing how SWW can make you change your whole way of thinking! :rotfl2:

Now I feel really disappointed. When I saw the dates in the first post, I thought we were in luck because I could plan our trip for June 14 - 20 and be able to catch the end of SWW while my girls would only miss the last 3 days of school since they get out on June 18. Perfect! But now it looks more likely that it won't be that weekend based on other predictions. I swore I would not take my kids out of school for a Disney trip, but I already told DH last night about likely being able to do SWW and he was SO excited. I guess we could go June 7 - 13 instead to be safe, but I really don't want to take them out of school. Then I tell myself, they are just in pre-k and kindergarten, they won't be involved in state testing, and they didn't do much that last full week of school last year when my oldest was in pre-k. DH is a huge Star Wars fan, my girls both like the movies and my 6 year old especially loves the Clone Wars animated series. What a dilemma. It's amazing how SWW can make you change your whole way of thinking! :rotfl2:

Until WDW release the official dates we won't know, but being a mom of 2 (now 17 and 13 years old) I can tell you that missing classes during pre-k and k is not a huge deal. Plus if they all are such huge SW fans then this is the place to be.

This is the time of their life that you can take them out of school without any concerns. In our experience state testing starts in 3rd grade and it is never at the end of the year, it is in the fall and spring.

I would move our trip without a second thought on the matter.

squirrel4569 said:
Is there special food or other dining during SWW?

Yes, there are Darth Vader cupackes and R2D2 popcorn buckets (I think those become a reg thing now though). Last year there was light and dark side drinks. That is all I can think of right now.

Thanks. I think we're going to go for it! Of all of the years to miss school, pre-K and kindergarten would be it, and of all of the times of the years to miss, the last full week of school would be good. The only gamble is that it's possible we may miss either pre-K or kindergarten graduation, if they have it on the last Friday instead of the following Monday. But my oldest has already had TWO pre-K graduations and even if my youngest misses pre-K she'll still have a kindergarten graduation next year. Personally, I've never been into all of these "graduations", and I'll take the risk that my girls will not hate me forever because we got to go to Disney instead! :) So I think I'll book June 7th - 13th (or 14th) and plan to go to HS on Sunday the 8th since it's a safer bet that will be one of the SWW.

For those who have gone, have you still been able to get in some of the other rides/shows in addition to the Star Wars stuff, or do you usually plan a separate HS day? HS was only going to be about a half day for us, but I don't know if I want to devote two whole days to HS or try to do both Star Wars and regular stuff in the same day. If I did that I would probably do more of the SWW stuff in the morning and schedule FP+ for later in the afternoon/early evening.

Thanks. I think we're going to go for it! Of all of the years to miss school, pre-K and kindergarten would be it, and of all of the times of the years to miss, the last full week of school would be good. The only gamble is that it's possible we may miss either pre-K or kindergarten graduation, if they have it on the last Friday instead of the following Monday. But my oldest has already had TWO pre-K graduations and even if my youngest misses pre-K she'll still have a kindergarten graduation next year. Personally, I've never been into all of these "graduations", and I'll take the risk that my girls will not hate me forever because we got to go to Disney instead! :) So I think I'll book June 7th - 13th (or 14th) and plan to go to HS on Sunday the 8th since it's a safer bet that will be one of the SWW.

For those who have gone, have you still been able to get in some of the other rides/shows in addition to the Star Wars stuff, or do you usually plan a separate HS day? HS was only going to be about a half day for us, but I don't know if I want to devote two whole days to HS or try to do both Star Wars and regular stuff in the same day. If I did that I would probably do more of the SWW stuff in the morning and schedule FP+ for later in the afternoon/early evening.

We're going the same week and plan to be at DHS on the same day, June 8th. We're planning another half day or so at DHS to do the park without the SWW crowds. Debating on trying to get ADRs for dinner that day or if we should just QS it at DHS this year.

Another somewhat silly question. Do they have Fantasmic on the SWW?
Yes they still have Fantasmic!

It depends on the rides/shows you want to do...But you will be able to enjoy the park more (be it SWW or just regular park stuff) if you plan 2 days.
SWW consumes a lot of time, especially if you're planning on meeting characters and attending shows.

We're going the same week and plan to be at DHS on the same day, June 8th. We're planning another half day or so at DHS to do the park without the SWW crowds. Debating on trying to get ADRs for dinner that day or if we should just QS it at DHS this year.

You bring up a good point about ADRs. We really want to eat at Sci Fi for lunch, and it dawned on me that it might be hard to make it to a lunch ADR when I don't know how long we may be waiting for some of the Star Wars events. Maybe we should plan for an extra day at HS instead.

You bring up a good point about ADRs. We really want to eat at Sci Fi for lunch, and it dawned on me that it might be hard to make it to a lunch ADR when I don't know how long we may be waiting for some of the Star Wars events. Maybe we should plan for an extra day at HS instead.

A lot of people schedule an ADR to have a place to just relax and sit for an hour but if you want to make the most out of your SWW day I would suggest not making an ADR and just eat at a quick service restaurant.
We usually watch the parade and as soon as that's over go and eat and we beat the noon rush.

We r planning our next trip from May 31 - June 7. We r contemplating checking out Star Wars weekends on Friday June 6. Would it be possible to get anything accomplished there in half a day in order to park hop to animal kingdom later that afternoon? My kids basically want to meet the characters and see the motorcade parade. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

We r planning our next trip from May 31 - June 7. We r contemplating checking out Star Wars weekends on Friday June 6. Would it be possible to get anything accomplished there in half a day in order to park hop to animal kingdom later that afternoon? My kids basically want to meet the characters and see the motorcade parade. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

If you're there when the park opens (around 7:30am) you can line up for the big characters and maybe be able to do 3 meet and greets before having to grab a spot for the motorcade.
It also depends on which characters your kids want to meet, if it's Vader, Chewbacca or the Disney SW it'll take longer

Subscribing

This will be our first SWW! We will be coming from the Magic on May 22 - May 26. Just how bad is Memorial Day weekend?

Subscribing

This will be our first SWW! We will be coming from the Magic on May 22 - May 26. Just how bad is Memorial Day weekend?

It's very busy but if you have a good, flexible plan you can get a lot done, it depends on what you and your family want to do.

We love SWW! And will be there in May to see them. We are hoping that the 1st weekend is the 23rd. As we will be arriving on the 22nd. DH and I went opening say of SWW on 2013! Holy SWW, it was insane to get into line to get the limited addition items!

Yes, there are Darth Vader cupackes and R2D2 popcorn buckets (I think those become a reg thing now though). Last year there was light and dark side drinks. That is all I can think of right now.

Darth Vader Cupcakes = AWESOME!!!!!!
Light and Dark side drinks = BEYOND AWESOME!!!! :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter