Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

So, after using the Lost photo form Photopass they did find my 10k Darth Maul photo - yay...but they can't find my after 5k holding the "I Did it" paddle. The guy took 2 I know too after the 5k, oh well, not sure how they loose them.

Oh, what did everyone else get for distance on the garmin/tracker? Here's what my garmin tracked, not too bad I suppose. I overheard this couple during the half that were so upset their tracker wasn't lining up with the mile markers and they were over the distance, thought it was funny since with all the people, turns in parks or if you pull off for photos, bathroom, there's no way to be right on.

5k - 3.30
10k - 6.48
half - 13.34

Runkeeper had me at 14 miles for the half! :faint: Either those bathroom breaks added a lot or I had to weave a lot more than expected! I haven't checked my Garmin recently, but I know it was lower.

Runkeeper had me at 14 miles for the half! :faint: Either those bathroom breaks added a lot or I had to weave a lot more than expected! I haven't checked my Garmin recently, but I know it was lower.
For the 10k I was using Jeff's app so that I could do intervals. I started it when I crossed the start. Just after mile 5, Jeff congratulated me on finishing my 10k race. Um... We weaved a lot! My husband got frustrated by the crowding so he would go into the grass to get past people and then I would have to sprint to catch up.

Woah 14...runkeeper hopefully was just really off, that is nuts. Who knows with gadgets though as my garmin has me running a pace of 1:57 minutes/mile when I came out of the Asia bathroom, not sure if it was when I was washing my hands or what but the spike on the graph is hilarious.

For the 10k I was using Jeff's app so that I could do intervals. I started it when I crossed the start. Just after mile 5, Jeff congratulated me on finishing my 10k race. Um... We weaved a lot! My husband got frustrated by the crowding so he would go into the grass to get past people and then I would have to sprint to catch up.
oops Galloway hold up, that's funny. I ended up running in the grass up that circle ramp in both the 10k and half, not because of people luckily, I just wanted to be in the hopefully flattest part. There were only a few indents so hopefully your husband didn't encounter any holes in the grass either.

My Garmin had me at 6.34 for the 10K and 13.4 for the half. So not too bad. My Fitbit is screwed up though as it had me at only 11 or 12 miles after the half.

My Garmin had the 10k at 6.29 miles and half marathon at 13.16 miles, so not too bad. I definitely ran the half with better lines than the 10k, so I think these distances make sense.

I had 13.48 on my RunKeeper app, and pretty much the same on my Apple Watch. I'm not surprised - I do 4/1 run/walks, and I move all the way to the side each time I walk. It was about the same for the Light Side (13.52 miles), but a bit longer than W&D (13.31).

My Garmin had me at 6.34 for the 10K and 13.4 for the half. So not too bad. My Fitbit is screwed up though as it had me at only 11 or 12 miles after the half.
My friend and my fitbits/running app were about 13.6 to 13.7 at the end of the half, which feels about right with all the weaving we had to do and the bathroom, character line stops.

That's a pretty common thing, for the distance on your GPS to be greater than the race distance. I'd much, much rather it be greater than be shorter.
This was a USATF certified course.... it was the correct distance. But GPS is not always correct, doesn't constantly update, buildings and weather can interfere, etc, etc ....

plus, as quoted from an Active article:
When a course is measured for distance by USATF, it is measured through what they have deemed the "SPR," or the shortest possible route that a runner can possibly cover. In many races, it's nearly impossible to run the exact route that the measurer used due to other runners on the course, making wider turns or stopping for a Porta Potty or water station. This is one reason many runners aim to run the tangents. Running a course with plenty of turns could potentially lead to a big difference between your GPS and the course distance.

In fact, matching the course distance is anything other than an easy task.

"Only seasoned runners that are able to run the tangents should expect their watch to match the distance," says Nick Zivolich, the race organizer for the Best Damn Race series in Florida.

Here's my video

I usually have grand plans to video a lot, but well excitement and all happens, but I did remember to get some while waiting for characters a couple times or attempted some while running. Sorry for the shaky & blurriness, but at least there's good sounds from the epic Ewok battle or Darth Vader breathing!

Oh & on our way back to Sports on the bus after the half we saw the end of the race & balloon ladies right before heading towards Studios, which is at the very end of the video.

Things I have learned while going to darkside....
1 don't take my sister on a running weekend.
2 if I have to take my sister cause you know whole family thing, then go to dinner without her cause
3 she won't get up for the half anyway so you might as well plan solo.
4 take the wdw trip as a plan to train for a full. My tracker had me for Sunday's distance as 19.1 miles. That is the before half, half, and after half getting pictures. Yikes I did 19 miles in a day and I wasn't sore at all Monday.
5. I like the parks at the end of the race not the beginning
6. Dl races are less congested or at least they feel less congested.
7. Wow do a lot of people lie about their time.
8. I don't like the Galloway pacers. You get a group of them run by you and it's like a herd. I ran faster just to get away from them.

Finally back from both WDW and a work trip to Houston. I will make a trip report soon.

Half Marathon: 1:54:02 - 8:41 pace ; 13.65 on my MapMyRun with 8:26 pace
10K: 55:59 - 9:02 pace; 6.53 on my MapMyRun app with 8:40 pace

With a lower proof of time, I was placed in Corral E/F for the 10K/Half because it was done before I started training. I should have been more Corral A or B. For the half, I started in Corral F and ended up catching up to people in Corral B by the finish. I had to have passed like 10,000 runners in the run.

I personally thought it was a fun course. The entertainment was consistent with the TVs showing Star Wars clips, characters, spread of parks with Animal Kingdom near the middle and Hollywood Studios/Epcot Resort Area/Epcot for the last 3 miles. I did the Star Wars Half Marathon Light Side in Anaheim in 2016. I thought WDW was better because I personally didn't like running through the city of Anaheim and there was very little park run time. Although, for the Light Side, I was way out of shape and that may have been a factor.

Finally back from both WDW and a work trip to Houston. I will make a trip report soon.

With a lower proof of time, I was placed in Corral E/F for the 10K/Half because it was done before I started training. I should have been more Corral A or B. For the half, I started in Corral F and ended up catching up to people in Corral B by the finish. I had to have passed like 10,000 runners in the run.

I personally thought it was a fun course. The entertainment was consistent with the TVs showing Star Wars clips, characters, spread of parks with Animal Kingdom near the middle and Hollywood Studios/Epcot Resort Area/Epcot for the last 3 miles. I did the Star Wars Half Marathon Light Side in Anaheim in 2016. I thought WDW was better because I personally didn't like running through the city of Anaheim and there was very little park run time. Although, for the Light Side, I was way out of shape and that may have been a factor.
You ran a 9 minute mile pace and still were put in F? The corral setup for this race baffles me- I hope it is not repeated.

You ran a 9 minute mile pace and still were put in F? The corral setup for this race baffles me- I hope it is not repeated.

My Proof of Time was like a 13 minute pace. I improved my time significantly. Like my best 10K now is like 48:34 at a 7:48 pace. I didn't run the 10K very hard for the Star Wars because I knew I had the Half the next day. For future RunDisney runs I should be in Corral A.

Did you have to run off in the grass a lot to get around people or could you at least stay on the roads/sidewalks, just curious? That is an awesome improvement in time too.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's race recap :) I just got mine up today. http://runningandenjoying.blogspot.com/2017/05/disney-world-star-wars-dark-side.html
Great race & recap! I have the same water bottle I think. I brought it down but didn't end up running with it. In hindsight I wish I had ran with it with powerade in it as I might have drank a little more on course versus just the on course stops with that humidity sucking it out of us. Great photos too! Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter