Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Did anyone else see the guy with the kid dressed as Yoda on his back and the person pushing the stroller in the 5k? I was surprised when I saw them. Does Disney just look the other way when these things happen or do they stop them?

Did anyone else see the guy with the kid dressed as Yoda on his back and the person pushing the stroller in the 5k? I was surprised when I saw them. Does Disney just look the other way when these things happen or do they stop them?

I've seen too many yoda backpacks to count at both Star Wars race weekends. After all, why would disney care, people see them during the race then go buy them after. Win win.

I'm surprised about the stroller but when I think about it, who on the course would pull them off. Once you're through the start line, I don't really remember seeing many actual runDisney workers. But regardless still surprising.

Speaking of did you see - the guy dressed up as George Lucas was pretty funny. They interviewed him before the 10k and he was on my bus back to Port Orleans as well.

They also included anyone with a POT that put them over a 2:45. There did not seem to be a fixed rhyme or reason. I was standing next to a couple with the exact same POT where one was placed in F and the other in G. The two corrals appeared to be more random and only because the couldn't have 60-75% of tge race in the same corral.
OK- now everything I've been reading makes sense. I was in corral F for Princess 2016 with a POT that estimated my finish at 2:20. I kept hearing all this talk about F being insanely crowded and was thinking- my God that was a fast group!

Why did they cut down corral numbers but increase capacity? If it's the same amount of bodies lining up- you would think smaller groups would be more
Manageable.

OK- now everything I've been reading makes sense. I was in corral F for Princess 2016 with a POT that estimated my finish at 2:20. I kept hearing all this talk about F being insanely crowded and was thinking- my God that was a fast group!

Why did they cut down corral numbers but increase capacity? If it's the same amount of bodies lining up- you would think smaller groups would be more
Manageable.

While it really doesn't make sense when you think about it, I would wonder if it has something to do with the space in the parking lot. Logically it seems they could have just added one more corral to the space they already had but I guess the set up design could have hampered that in some way.

Did they use the mini corrals at all for Dark Side? They said they were but I never heard it mentioned at the races.

While it really doesn't make sense when you think about it, I would wonder if it has something to do with the space in the parking lot. Logically it seems they could have just added one more corral to the space they already had but I guess the set up design could have hampered that in some way.

Did they use the mini corrals at all for Dark Side? They said they were but I never heard it mentioned at the races.

They did. We were in the second wave of F. I heard them say something about A1 and A2 as well.

Proof of time was required for anyone putting in an expected finish of 2:45 or better. I believe corrals F and G included everyone without such a PoT. It seems F included everyone who put in an expected finish between 2:45:01 and 3:00. I'm not sure if this is exactly how it worked, but I think it's pretty close.

Even though I wasn't in either corral F or G I was not a fan of their plan.
I wasn't a fan, either. I didn't have a PoT to submit this time, though my half would normally be under the 2:45 limit (though not by much), so I just entered 2:46-2:50 and hoped for the best. Placed in F with 7,000+ others, lol!

No - the just put 33% in the same corral!
Exactly!

Manageable.
It's a great question that hasn't been conclusively answered. What I've heard tossed around is that rD is sick of fielding questions/complaints about why person 1 was in corral X with no PoT, while person 2 was in corral Y with no PoT. I sure don't think this helped any!

They did - each corral had multiple starting waves. F had 6, each with its own fireworks start. In theory, that should have spread people out... but I didn't see that happen at all. I mean, it would have been worse with 7K people starting at once, sure, but I don't see that the mini-waves worked better than just having a bunch of corrals used to.

I wasn't a fan, either. I didn't have a PoT to submit this time, though my half would normally be under the 2:45 limit (though not by much), so I just entered 2:46-2:50 and hoped for the best. Placed in F with 7,000+ others, lol!
Exactly this! I was in the same boat and also hoped for the best. I also didn't see where the mini-waves really helped with course crowding. I think it was better when POT was required for 3 hours or less, as silly as that sounds, just because then you had to prove you could. Now everyone was claiming 2:46-2:50 and you end up with 7,000 people in a corral.

Great weekend & trip overall! Just got back so need to organize & may do a trip report.

But... we really enjoyed it all.

Expo - went Thursday afternoon, no lines. No stormtroopers out that we saw either.

5k - Stopped for all the stops and had a blast. Probably ran my pace a little too fast in between each but I was just so excited. I sat really stupid in the Emperor's throne, oh well. The ewok was so cute & one of my favorites! Love seeing all the kids running too, they are some speedsters!

10k - Stopped for all again but the throne & Chewie today and then a handful of 501st (Boba & Jango were great at Studios and then a few near the finish). Corral A I started and lines were okay, R2 was what I thought to be long already when I saw him, but I felt like stopping again even though I had in the 5k, even Ezra & Sabine had quiet a line but stopped again. Darth Maul was cool. Stopped for Stormtroopers in Studios and again at EPCOT. Oh and the speeder bike was a cool photo op. Thought the course was great, liked the green lights/battle under the bridge to EPCOT. I think my photo stops ranged from 2-4 minutes each, Stormtroopers were short wait.

Half - It was humid for sure. Started in the first wave of C and the course never was congested, had to get around people sometimes but it was no big deal. I stopped for the trash compactor and wampa cave today and a pre-planned bathroom stop in Asia, which I really was hoping not to have to since I had a goal time but well I had to. Thought I was hydrated enough but I had heavy legs for sure the last miles, and my mind said go faster but they were dead, the humidity I can usually handle pretty well, but I think it got to me. My last miles were slower than what I usually finish like, but I was a whole 10 seconds faster than wine & dine, funny to be almost exactly the same time. Loved the laser ewok battle at the beginning and Darth Vader red light bridge to EPCOT. The lights didn't bother me, but I could see how they could if it hit you in the eye.

Each day we got on the first bus from Sports to at least get one photo op before hand. Then after got the others when we had or medals. Only did Vader once (beforehand), his line was definitely the most popular. Bus lines were great, seemed efficient to & from All-Stars

I thought overall everything ran smoothly from where I started. Overall loved the courses and volunteers were great & loved all the 501st at multiple spots.

Missing a few photopass pics, so need to contact them. Oh I liked the I did it paddles at the end, I know I read on facebook people didn't but I like it better than the digital banners.

Great meeting some DIS folks at the expo & in park as well as at the meetup. Thanks @MommaoffherRocker for holding the sign. It was great putting faces to usernames and fun talking to pass the time! I'm pretty abrupt with saying oh hey you're....I'm cavepig like a crazy person, so hopefully didn't startle anyone!

Last edited:
OH! I can't believe I forgot to comment on the parking situation! After last year's fiasco, I had low expectations, but it went off flawlessly this year! I was offsite, in the 192 & Sherberth Rd. area, and drove to EP at 4:15am for the 5K, 3:15 for the 10K, 2:50 for the half. Arrived at EP with no traffic back ups, parked quickly, and walked over to the bus area, where there were dozens of different types and sizes of buses waiting. No lost drivers and we arrived at the start quickly each day. Well done, Disney! :thumbsup2

I'm contemplating writing up a trip report for my trip. If I did, would anyone be interested in reading it?
I would! I love reading them. I'll be slow getting mine up but plan on it.

RunDisney has updated Dark Side for 2018 and noticed these 2 things that were different -

A 13.1-mile run on the dark side with Star Wars Captain Phasma leading the charge!

Sith Lord Darth Vader's grandson, Kylo Ren, is throwing down a challenge of galactic proportions...

So I don't have to rewrite them- my somewhat brief race reports are posted on my blog.

Overall I had a great time at the race and thought it went smoothly overall. Even with a lack of training I did better than expected so I'm happy!

So I don't have to rewrite them- my somewhat brief race reports are posted on my blog.

Overall I had a great time at the race and thought it went smoothly overall. Even with a lack of training I did better than expected so I'm happy!
I read about that other 'run' and some people trying to join in to ours either on purpose or just confused. I didn't notice it, but how annoying. I know anyone can run around the boardwalk/yacht beach, but you would think they would change their plan knowing an official race was happening.

I read about that other 'run' and some people trying to join in to ours either on purpose or just confused. I didn't notice it, but how annoying. I know anyone can run around the boardwalk/yacht beach, but you would think they would change their plan knowing an official race was happening.

I only noticed the other runners because they had different bibs (theres were mostly white with numbers and something on the center). What probably made me notice them the most was I saw a girl dash through the race course by Jellyrolls and I couldn't believe a non-racer would be so rude. Considering how widely publicized the races are, it's hard to believe that someone didn't know that the race was happening. I've sadly seen bicyclist piggy back on triathlon courses just because it's easier to ride on a closed road and other similar issues so I'm not shocked, but still slightly saddened that someone would really do that to people...

So, after using the Lost photo form Photopass they did find my 10k Darth Maul photo - yay...but they can't find my after 5k holding the "I Did it" paddle. The guy took 2 I know too after the 5k, oh well, not sure how they loose them.

Oh, what did everyone else get for distance on the garmin/tracker? Here's what my garmin tracked, not too bad I suppose. I overheard this couple during the half that were so upset their tracker wasn't lining up with the mile markers and they were over the distance, thought it was funny since with all the people, turns in parks or if you pull off for photos, bathroom, there's no way to be right on.

5k - 3.30
10k - 6.48
half - 13.34

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter