Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Did anyone else look at the La Nouba ticket discount? I was thinking of getting some, so I clicked through the link and the price came up $53 for Category 2 seating. Just to make sure, I looked at the same date/time/category on the main La Nouba site and the tickets still came up $53. How am I supposed to get the 35% off discount?

Have not seen this mentioned but the forecast is for rain the night of the race.
Does anyone know the best way to prepare for running in Florida rain and humidity.

The weather I just looked at says Mostly Sunny high of 82 low of 72 with a 10% chance of rain. That sounds pretty perfect to me! But it is Florida, and it does change drastically. Generally this time of year, rain is in the afternoon. Humidity can be a problem, but just adjust your pace accordingly. 72 and humid is still better than it's been all summer for us! :)

Did anyone figure out how to get the Brightroom discount from the virtual goody bag? I too am having the problem where it just points me to old race photos.

AnotherPrincess said:
I got the clif training pack but it wasn't in any cool packaging like the eco lunch box. It was in a cardboard box. It had a gel, a pack of shot blocks and a small bar sample. What else did you get? That was the only thing I saw that would come in the mail. Only other thing I thought was interesting was the poster we have to pick up at the expo.

I got that too... Maybe your Eco box will come soon? Mine just came yesterday. These are the only things that have came... I too only saw the poster as something neat but I registered the cliff part of the virtual bag anyway and was surprised by both goodies that have come.

Has anyone found where we can sign up for runner tracking?
Nope - I've been looking, too...

Have not seen this mentioned but the forecast is for rain the night of the race.
Does anyone know the best way to prepare for running in Florida rain and humidity.
As JCH said, never trust a FL forecast this far in advance! It is still the rainy season, but constant rain that late at night is pretty rare. But I do a lot of rain running down here, so IF it's rainy, here's what I'll be doing...
~iPhone gets wrapped in a double layer of cling wrap, then tucked into a snack-size ziploc before insertion into armband
~clothing stays the same, rain or shine: wicking, wicking, wicking fabrics that tend not to get weighed down with water weight
~anything in my waist pack that can be compromised by wetness goes into a small ziploc (Nuun tablets, car key fob, Tylenol, etc.)
~hat with a brim or visor is a MUST to keep rain out of eyes
~Bodyglide - lots of it. Because when the rain stops and skin's still damp, but no longer slick, it hurts. Trust V.

As far as humidity goes, beware of dehydration and overheating; sweat isn't as effective when it's too humid for it to evaporate. Slow down the pace and be sure to pre-hydrate the 48 hours before race day.

72 and humid is still better than it's been all summer for us! :)
::yes:: I can't believe how much nicer our mornings and evenings have felt the past week or so! :thumbsup2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outfit is together. Playlist is complete. (The full playlist is in my blog, if anyone's interested.) 3 more short training runs to go. I'll pack this weekend. 9 days!!! :banana:

annmarieda and Cripey - I've been wondering how your latest shoes are coming along? I've been using my new Brooks PureCadence the last few runs and, no joke, they get better and better with every mile!

PrincessV said:
annmarieda and Cripey - I've been wondering how your latest shoes are coming along? I've been using my new Brooks PureCadence the last few runs and, no joke, they get better and better with every mile!

I have been running in Nike frees... I think they are a tad hard in my knees... But they seem to be working out pretty good. My feet do ok in them- despite a couple blisters. It was the last pair that fleet feet put me in.. And honestly I think they are a tad small... Do I love them? No. But I like them well enough

Hello,

I also have not received much email notice from Run Disney.
Only from the help of all you Dis'ers did I find my bib # and waiver info.

Thanks! One thing that I just cannot seem to locate is what time do participants have to be in the corrals by? Race starts at 10PM.
Maybe by 9pm? Of course allow time for bag check and port-o-let stop :)

I'm really liking mine too...got a little mud smudge on them at last weekend's 10k though...dang it! Oh well...they look worn-in now I guess :)

Well, I haven't run since saturday...and it's looking like I may not run until this weekend. Not a good week...2 funerals in the span of 5 days...one in my family and one in the BF's. I'm pooped and there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day this week. :faint: I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I get my last 3 runs in starting this weekend, but I hope this week off doesn't set me back too much for race day. Next week is going to be crazy trying to get last minute things taken care of for the trip...packing, errands, still need to get my runs in, hoping to get a massage in there too, but that may get axed. Lists are going to be my new best friend!!!

Hello,

I also have not received much email notice from Run Disney.
Only from the help of all you Dis'ers did I find my bib # and waiver info.

Thanks! One thing that I just cannot seem to locate is what time do participants have to be in the corrals by? Race starts at 10PM.
Maybe by 9pm? Of course allow time for bag check and port-o-let stop :)

In the Race Instructions and Race Program it says that everyone needs to be in their corrals by 9:15pm.

Just took my sparkle skirt out for a trial run. I still love it. I also put some items in the leg pockets just to see how well things stay put in there. I was concerned about there being no closure on those pockets. Sure enough, my cash and old key to the world card (what I would be putting in those pockets) did seem to ease up trying to work their way out of the pockets. I don't think they would have made it through 10 miles. So unless I add Velcro or safety pin them shut I may not be using them. If anyone has any experience with sparkle tech I'd love your take on how to keep items securely in the leg pockets.

And annmarieda, I hope I get the cool lunchbox. I actually use several of the clif products so the more they send me the less I have to buy. Lol

For those not staying at a host resort, how would this work?

Epcot is open until 10pm, so what about taking a bus from non-host resort to Epcot. Then walking through Epcot to the Studios? Is that expending too much energy? Or taking the boats if they are still running.

If this seems like a viable option, what time would be good to head to Epcot?

I dont mind getting a taxi to WWOS, but is the traffic going to be crazy? What would be the best time to leave if this were the way to go?

Also, what time does HS open for the racers?

Thanks for the help! Good luck to all!

As JCH said, never trust a FL forecast this far in advance! It is still the rainy season, but constant rain that late at night is pretty rare. But I do a lot of rain running down here, so IF it's rainy, here's what I'll be doing...
~iPhone gets wrapped in a double layer of cling wrap, then tucked into a snack-size ziploc before insertion into armband
~clothing stays the same, rain or shine: wicking, wicking, wicking fabrics that tend not to get weighed down with water weight
~anything in my waist pack that can be compromised by wetness goes into a small ziploc (Nuun tablets, car key fob, Tylenol, etc.)
~hat with a brim or visor is a MUST to keep rain out of eyes
~Bodyglide - lots of it. Because when the rain stops and skin's still damp, but no longer slick, it hurts. Trust V.

As far as humidity goes, beware of dehydration and overheating; sweat isn't as effective when it's too humid for it to evaporate. Slow down the pace and be sure to pre-hydrate the 48 hours before race day.

Fantastic info - thank you!! All my RunDisney races have been in high humidity and hydrating well before and during the race (a few sips at each water stop but not the whole cup) really helped me survive. :thumbsup2
Hello,

Of course allow time for bag check and port-o-let stop :)

Of course hydrating leads to the DREADED pre-race potty stop. :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: That's the only thing I hate about running!

I have been running in Nike frees... I think they are a tad hard in my knees... But they seem to be working out pretty good. My feet do ok in them- despite a couple blisters. It was the last pair that fleet feet put me in.. And honestly I think they are a tad small... Do I love them? No. But I like them well enough
Well, I'm glad to hear they're okay, at least! Maybe you'll score a great deal on a bigger pair at the Expo!

I'm really liking mine too...got a little mud smudge on them at last weekend's 10k though...dang it! Oh well...they look worn-in now I guess :)
Yay! Hee hee, I refused to wear mine last night because rain was threatening - I'm NOT ready for them to get waterlogged yet!

Well, I haven't run since saturday...and it's looking like I may not run until this weekend. Not a good week...
I'm so sorry. :( Don't worry about the running; you've been training long enough that I know you'll be fine. Take care of what needs taking care of and rest-up as you can. :hug: Hang in there.

Epcot is open until 10pm, so what about taking a bus from non-host resort to Epcot. Then walking through Epcot to the Studios? Is that expending too much energy?
Personally, I think it's an awful lot of walking pre-race. Google mapping it, it looks to be about 2 miles of walking from EP entrance plaza to DHS entrance plaza. I don't think boats will run to DHS, since it'll technically be closed by then.

Fantastic info - thank you!! All my RunDisney races have been in high humidity and hydrating well before and during the race (a few sips at each water stop but not the whole cup) really helped me survive. :thumbsup2
::yes:: Once I realized just how much I sweat out in a long run on a hot, humid day (over 5 pounds :eek: ) and started hydrating in the days before, it made a big difference.

Of course hydrating leads to the DREADED pre-race potty stop. :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: That's the only thing I hate about running!
Right?! And did you see that they have a set of porta-lets between the corrals and the start? I have visions of lines forming there and people unable to move into the starting area. Hope not, but it doesn't look good...

Well, I haven't run since saturday...and it's looking like I may not run until this weekend. Not a good week...2 funerals in the span of 5 days...one in my family and one in the BF's. I'm pooped and there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day this week. :faint: I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I get my last 3 runs in starting this weekend, but I hope this week off doesn't set me back too much for race day. Next week is going to be crazy trying to get last minute things taken care of for the trip...packing, errands, still need to get my runs in, hoping to get a massage in there too, but that may get axed. Lists are going to be my new best friend!!!

I am so sorry you have so much on your plate! 2 funerals? :hug:

Well, I'm glad to hear they're okay, at least! Maybe you'll score a great deal on a bigger pair at the Expo!

Oh m'gosh! don't tell me I can buy things at the expo!!! :faint: I never considered it... :scratchin That changes my plan for the expo. ;)

Epcot is open until 10pm, so what about taking a bus from non-host resort to Epcot. Then walking through Epcot to the Studios? Is that expending too much energy? Or taking the boats if they are still running.

If this seems like a viable option, what time would be good to head to Epcot?

I dont mind getting a taxi to WWOS, but is the traffic going to be crazy? What would be the best time to leave if this were the way to go?

Also, what time does HS open for the racers?

Thanks for the help! Good luck to all!

Our plan is to take a bus from AoA to Epcot, then hop on a bus to one of the close host resorts, so probably the All-Stars and then get a bus to the race start. We are gonna just do a taxi for the 5K since I don't think it will be that crazy but just don't want to mess with WWOS Saturday night. While I don't mind walking, I just think the walk all the way through Epcot and such will be tiring at that point, especially since we will be in the parks all week prior to the race. As far as HS, the start is not actually in the park so I don't think it will open for the racers prior to the race....or am I wrong?

I never see anyone post anything they get from the virtual goodie bag that we received months ago... last thing to come in the mail from it was neat, but today's was amazing. An eco lunch box.. filled with cliff bar goodies. My dh wants the lunch box but I told him no way! Super cool with multiple compartments.

Anyone else get it?

I never got a virtual "goodie" bag. ??? I guess I better check my junk mail folder.

::yes:: Once I realized just how much I sweat out in a long run on a hot, humid day (over 5 pounds :eek: ) and started hydrating in the days before, it made a big difference.

Right?! And did you see that they have a set of porta-lets between the corrals and the start? I have visions of lines forming there and people unable to move into the starting area. Hope not, but it doesn't look good...

Oh no Seriously? Geez, it's a nice thought because I just did my first half in Jan 2012 and I made the huge mistake of overhydrating prior and man oh man the look of horror on my face to see the throngs of people waiting for portolets!! near bag check. But I agree could be problematic getting to corrals. I guess we shall see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter