Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Not to be a creeper, but I see you on the right, there at the very end. I recognized you from the shirt you posted here on the forum. I saw a camera guy during the evening. I think it was near the start of the race or in the prerace parking lot.:confused3

Not to be a creeper, but I see you on the right, there at the very end. I recognized you from the shirt you posted here on the forum. I saw a camera guy during the evening. I think it was near the start of the race or in the prerace parking lot.:confused3

We saw them taping Marsico 3 or 4 times that night, I told my BF I was surprised we weren't in the background of more of his shots...he seemed to be everywhere! In that one, we were just starting our trek to bag pick-up...where along the way we stopped to ask a CM where bag pick-up was and she said "oh sure, if you need a little plastic bag you can go into any of the stores and just ask for one, no problem." uhhhhh, we'll just find it on our own, thanks. :rolleyes2 seriously, we tried explaining it twice...no clue what we were talking about. I wondered after that if she even knew why she was working so late that night??

Pic!

97203-683-030f.jpg

So according to my finisher's certificate, I set a serious half marathon PR at this race! 13.1 miles in 2:30:45. Think they'll take that for corral placement? ;)

Ha! My bf and I are in the video! Right at the end, we come walking up sort of behind Marsico and to the right side of the video...we had just finished and I'm surprised I wasn't hobbling more! We made the Wine & Dine recap video last year too!

I'm there too! I'm at 01:35 for about a second having my picture taken with Dr. Facilier :-) (An eagle-eyed DISer spotted me on there!)

So according to my finisher's certificate, I set a serious half marathon PR at this race! 13.1 miles in 2:30:45. Think they'll take that for corral placement? ;)

I was coming to ask about that. My certificate says I did 13.1 also. I know I did a lot of weaving, but is that accurate? I have never done a long race, so I don't know what to think about that. I finished a little bit after you did.

Also, does your certificate print? Nothing happens when I click the print button.

I see a lot of people on FB are saying they can't open the certificate and it also says 13.1. Glad it's not just me. :thumbsup2

poohbear8 said:
I was coming to ask about that. My certificate says I did 13.1 also. I know I did a lot of weaving, but is that accurate? I have never done a long race, so I don't know what to think about that. I finished a little bit after you did.

Also, does your certificate print? Nothing happens when I click the print button.

No, it is not accurate. The certificates are incorrectly showing we ran a 1/2 Marathon but we only did 10 miles.

LOL, that was my first thought, too!

I see a lot of people on FB are saying they can't open the certificate and it also says 13.1. Glad it's not just me. :thumbsup2

My page says 13.1, but I can't get the actual certificate to open.

Not only is does mine say 13.1 (and unable to open), but the picture is not even of me. Granted I am in the picture -- you can see my bib behind the girl who IS in the picture, but not any other part of me... :confused:

We saw them taping Marsico 3 or 4 times that night, I told my BF I was surprised we weren't in the background of more of his shots...he seemed to be everywhere! In that one, we were just starting our trek to bag pick-up...where along the way we stopped to ask a CM where bag pick-up was and she said "oh sure, if you need a little plastic bag you can go into any of the stores and just ask for one, no problem." uhhhhh, we'll just find it on our own, thanks. :rolleyes2 seriously, we tried explaining it twice...no clue what we were talking about. I wondered after that if she even knew why she was working so late that night??

My DD was a spectator and had this problem all night. At one point, she asked which way the runners would be coming and was told there were two different starts and two different finishes. The CMs were not filled in. My sister and I, however, did go into a shop and ask for a plastic bag.

This was my first Disney race, so I really didn't have anything to compare it to. So for what it's worth, here are some of my thoughts:

I was really impressed with how well it was organized and executed. I worried a little about transportation to and from the events, but there was really no need; the bus system worked smoothly.

I enjoyed the expo and picked up a SPI belt and some new rhinestone-studded pink SnuggBuds. The medium shirt that I ordered was GYNORMOUS, so I traded for an xs without any trouble. I also spent a good amount of time drooling over all the medals in the RunDisney booth. The only time I've ever had the desire to run a full marathon was while staring at that DisneyWorld Marathon medal! :lmao: It was fun to see the medal for Tinkerbell too, since I'm registered for that race. I also mentioned to DH how awesome it would be to earn the Coast-to-Coast Medal, and he surprised me by saying, "So, go sign up for the Princess Half." :love: I was ecstatic!!! So I'm now doing both the Tinkerbell AND the Princess! :banana:

It was a good thing that I signed up before the 10-miler, because I may not have done it after. Not that it was anything Disney could help, but that race was ROUGH for me! I've been training in super-mild Western Washington, so I was not at all prepared for that kind of heat and humidity. I totally expected to be able to finish in under 2 hours, but I just couldn't maintain that pace. Finished in 2:11, not too bad, I guess. At first I was really disappointed in myself for slowing down and taking some walk breaks, but now after reading that so many people struggled with the conditions, I don't feel quite so bad.

I thought the course entertainment was fun, and I especially loved running through the stadium! The spectators and cameras really got my energy back up! The last mile seemed to drag on forever, but I forced myself to keep running. I don't even remember running past the Sorcerer's Hat...I guess I was a bit delirious by then. Again, the spectator and volunteers cheering really kept me going. Then it was over. I would have liked to see some characters at the finish line, but I was so excited to get my hands on that medal, that I didn't really dwell on it. ;)

After the race I was a bit dazed and sick to my stomach. I sure appreciated the great snack boxes and drinks, but it was a bit difficult to juggle them all. A bag would be a great idea! I found my DH who thankfully kept all my stuff so I didn't have to check it. After changing, we got to ride ToT, but just didn't feel very good after that and had to keep running to the bathroom, so that was all we saw of the Villain's Bash. I slept on that stinky bus (poor, poor bus driver!) all the way back to CBR. I felt pretty good the next day, and had plenty of time to recover on our Caribbean cruise! ;)

Overall it was a good experience and I'm glad I did it! I probably won't do it again any time soon, just because there are other Disney races I would like to try out (and I'm a little scared of the Florida humidity in September), but I might do it again a few years down the road. I'm so proud of all of you who worked so hard and endured so many hardships to accomplish this! Way to go!!! :cheer2: See you over at the Tinkerbell and Princess boards!

Don't worry--the humidity won't be nearly like that was!!! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't remember running by the hat!! Maybe some of us took a wrong turn and really DID run 13!! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter