Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

We also had a blast during the race even if the humidity was a killer! We liked the pre race set up and the after party and are considering running it again next year!

Awesome! Did you see Maleficent leaping over the finish line at 2:56? That's me!!! :wave2:

I thought that was you, when I first saw the video. I recognized the headdress from here on the boards. My DH gave this trip to me as a Christmas gift last year. He also, gave me a trip for the Inaugral Princess Half in 2009.

DisneyRunnerGirl said:
Did anyone else see the proposal in front of the hat? I came around the corner of the stand and could see the guy on one knee. She said yes, he put on the ring and the crowd went nuts. :cool1:

No but that's awesome!

Did anyone else see the proposal in front of the hat? I came around the corner of the stand and could see the guy on one knee. She said yes, he put on the ring and the crowd went nuts. :cool1:

Were they runners who stopped? I wish I had seen it, but honestly at that point, I was jogging with no plans to stop until I saw the finish line. (which seemed to take forever to get to!:rotfl2:)

Who had the blog that compared the different types of training programs? I read it, but want to go back and compare them. I think I might need something different for the Princess.:confused3

Were they runners who stopped? I wish I had seen it, but honestly at that point, I was jogging with no plans to stop until I saw the finish line. (which seemed to take forever to get to!:rotfl2:)

Yes, both were runners who stopped. It was very cool and the guy on the stand basically narrated the action. :mic: Thank goodness she said yes. WOuld have been pretty embarassing otherwise.

I just realized who posted the question--you were the finish line Maleficent in the video, right?? My DD11 was M at the Villains Bash, and we've decided to do a local costume 5K as big and little Mals :). We did twin Leias one year and it was fun! Trying to decide whether or not to attempt it in makeup!

Haha! Yep, that was me. How fun to mini-me dress up with your daughter! You should totally do it!!! Makeup and all!

Anyone not finding their results on the results page?

Within 2 days of the race, I had copied out my results:
  • Chip time
  • clock time
  • place out of total runners
  • place out of total female runners
  • place out of total female runners 45-49 yrs
  • even my age grade
But now I don't appear in the lists at all, am I in the 4th dimension now?

I sent an email to RunDisney, just wondering if anyone else seemed to be missing their results as well?

WalkingintheFog said:
Anyone not finding their results on the results page?

Within 2 days of the race, I had copied out my results:

[*]Chip time
[*]clock time
[*]place out of total runners
[*]place out of total female runners
[*]place out of total female runners 45-49 yrs
[*]even my age grade

But now I don't appear in the lists at all, am I in the 4th dimension now?

I sent an email to RunDisney, just wondering if anyone else seemed to be missing their results as well?

I noticed it tio

So rundisney sent me a survey about the race....They obviously have heard lots of people were unhappy with the race. Especially by the questions they were asking!

So rundisney sent me a survey about the race....They obviously have heard lots of people were unhappy with the race. Especially by the questions they were asking!

I keep hoping they'll send me one - I've been waiting to send them my good, bad and ugly comments for the usual survey.

canes876 said:
Other than the weather, which try all they want Disney can't control, what real issues were there?

There was a real lack of on course entertainment for a ten miler. There wasn't a med station until 5.5 which is a big miss. Runners were discouraged from moving off the narrow sidewalk in WWOS which made it impossible to pass or run. The water stations were almost empty, shutting down, or you had to wait for a pour (later corrals).

ETA: No characters at the finish, how could I forget!?!? Big disappointment. Bag pickup was awful walking across the park and down and up stairs to retrieve bags.

My issues were the lack of entertainment, water stops running out of water, unimpressive finish line, long finish line chute, and if I'd done bag check, I'd have had a issue with that location and set up as well. I also didn't like that the WWoS part repeated much of that morning's 5k. However, I was very happy with transportation, packet pick up, and the porta potties in the corrals. I also loved the volunteers.

Other than the water issue, which I didn't experience (I was thrilled to find Powerade every stop, with the heat), absolute ditto.

Juts finished my survey... congratulated runDisney on porta-potties and water in every corral and BEGGED them to do the same for every race, lol!

Just got my survey email from RunDisney about the race!

:thumbsup2Awesome! I'm eagerly hoping to get one as well. I love giving Disney my opinion, lol. :goodvibes I generally think I'm fair, and praise the positives and give my opinion about what I think could be improved on.

More than the negative, I want to say what I thought went great, so they continue to know those things are appreciated! I thought the Expo was well run as well as all the expo and race transportation. I LOVED the picnic benches in the staging/waiting area of the parking lot at DHS before the race.
At EE, they had us come ungodly early too and the pavement was hot with nowhere to sit or go, so I thought it was fantastic that they had them! (I did think that the food trucks there were a great idea if they had more runner friendly food, but that's really not that important.)

I personally liked the snack boxes but it was way too much stuff to handle at the end of the race, a bag would have been nice. Didn't think of going to a gift shop for one. My fingers were so swollen from the heat, I got a bag of ice for them, so I literally could not hold onto all of it and sadly left the box behind after eating the powerbar.
DH went and did our bagcheck, so I wasn't personally affected by the location and stairs, but I can imagine it would have been a problem for others.

Could there have been more enterainment on the course? Absolutely! I would have loved to seen more real villian characters especially at the Villians Bash.
I'm really slow and don't have much time to stop on the course, but it would have been fun to see them. I was thinking more along the line of the Boo To You Parade kinda stuff. I'm REALLY glad I had my headphones with me!

I do think not having a medical tent until mile 5.5 is also a miss, but personally I'm glad they didn't, with the heat, I might have quit before then! By mile 5 I was determined to get through it. (I had bronchitis and really just couldn't move my body the way I wanted it to.)
I do think there was enough supervision that if help was needed before then, it would have been available.

The only thing I was really disappointed with was the lack of a wow finish line with characters, more fanfare, etc. (ok and the smelly garbage dump :sick:)
oh, and how crowded the VB was afterwards. I think it should be just for runners and their families and friends, not open to anyone not associated with the race. The CMs working were also not shy about showing their tiredness and grumpiness at 3am. My opinion is they knew what their work shift is going to be, so their smile and friendliness should be the same as at 9am. We truly felt we were "bothering" them, from food to rides, etc.
Combined with *my* tiredness and grumpiness, well...pirate: but I was determined to party like a rock star. :goodvibes (sarcasm)

I'm annoyed with the results/website right now with the results not showing correctly. (hello, and the finisher's certificate reading 13.1 miles, ok that's just not acceptable) I have some questions about all of it so I can go forward understanding more about Disney's races.

I truly think runDisney will correct issues and better the race. I probably won't do it next year, but maybe another time. I just don't like the heat and I have my sights set on other races. It was a great experience overall and I'm glad I did it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!