******Official DLR May 2021 Check In Thread*******

Soooo who is getting tickets?
We'll be attempting to buy some next week. Still not sure what. Labor Day weekend is a higher priority to me than Memorial Day weekend (the former is my niece's birthday celebration). No one seems to know for sure if the tickets expire after 13 days. If they do, we'll buy a 2 day 1 park per day ticket, try to get reservations for DL both the 29th and 30th. If we can't get those dates, we'll punt the tickets down the road to Labor Day then I'll figure out if we want a hotel stay with no parks or rent out the reservation. If they don't expire until December, then we'll buy a 5 day hopper and use them for both weekends, plus get an extra day in October if we can. I have flights that Sw moved several times so they're a bargain points-wise (when they reschedule your flight, you get to pick a better/more expensive flight for the same price), but also easily cancellable to land Friday night, fly out Mon midday, great times for not having to take any days off school or work.
At this point I'm mostly disappointed they didn't release any of the longer options they surveyed APs about (10 or 12 day tickets that could be used over 1 year). We'll be cancelling several of the trips we have scheduled, which is a pity bc we were really looking forward to enjoying the extra space from 1 and 2 bedrooms lined up with extra points instead of our usual studios, original plan had been to invite along more Disney friends.

Last edited:
My son was born on Labor Day and this year, 11 years later- his birthday finally hits Labor Day again! Because 9/7 is Rosh Hashanah, we are off of school that day too. I didn't realize that when I booked 9/10-12 for the mother/son trip we have been trying to have for a year! But I did realize it for our WDW back up we have booked 9/4-9/8. We are only keeping one of these trips. I already have DL tickets and flight credits, so it makes the most sense to wait and hope for that one. I did get a great deal on a miles flight to Orlando, which can be cancelled. So basically I am in a holding pattern for September.

Any thoughts on how long the lines might be Mid May (5/17 - 5/21, M - F), given the lack of fast passes? I know capacity will be at 25% to 35%, but I am wondering if there might still be crazy wait times.

Our reason for going then is both to get our kids there and to try to avoid some of the crowds/lines that will surely be coming once it is opened up more.

Thanks for any input!

Who got tickets & park reservations today? How was your experience? How do you feel about the pricing?

We got 2 day 1-park tickets and opted for DL both days (Sat & Sun of Memorial Day weekend). We couldn't justify the extra for hopping since the main things we wanted were Lamplight Lounge nachos/drinks and to ride Soarin (Grizzly is my favorite ride, but it'll be closed, half the party gets sick on Guardians, so for us there was so much more that we wanted to eat and do for full days at DL).

While the tickets and reservation process was painful, happy with the trip we're ending up with. Especially since Southwest just devalued their points by 6% last night, I'm happy we booked these flights using points awhile back hedging our bets that we'd be able to go.

Last edited:

Sun May 30, Bowers Museum Disney Archives exhibit at opening, pool afternoon, if chairs are an issue, we’ll go to DTD first. Dinner at Tortilla Jos (reserved), shop or pool after dinner, depending on what we did in the afternoon
Mon May 31, Huntington Beach. Surf lessons for the kids, beach till we are tired of it, then back to resort. Hopefully it’s not raining! Dinner at Craftsman Grill for that amazing poke bowl!
What do you like to eat at Tortilla Jos? We land midday on Friday the 28th, no park that day, so thinking DtD for dinner perhaps. Maybe Splitsville?

DD and I will be there May 2 and 3. The 2 day parkhoppers were expensive, and I had a hard time wrapping my head around it (especially since I also bought 5 day hoppers for June), but we haven't done much this past year and she's worked hard in school finishing up her junior year of college. It should be fun.

What do you like to eat at Tortilla Jos? We land midday on Friday the 28th, no park that day, so thinking DtD for dinner perhaps. Maybe Splitsville?
It’s been way too long since I’ve been there, but the table side guacamole is great! I cant Remember besides that, just that is was overall solid. But... we switched to Naples. It’s been even Longer since we’ve been there and we decided to try it again.

After TWO cancelled WDW trips and three other "local" trips cancelled because of the *gestures to EVERYTHING*

WE ARE FINALLY GOING HOME. Memorial Day Weekend at the Grand with the money that we didn't spend at WDW. Oh well. Maybe one day, but for now, this is enough. I'm coming home!

Who got tickets & park reservations today? How was your experience? How do you feel about the pricing?

We got two, 3-day park hoppers for May 7-9. I did question getting park hoppers given the limited opening hours, but a normal day for us means park hopping 3-4 times in one day -- so we'll see. I also miss my AP (I usually got APs in D23 Expo years), but my DH always needed park tickets so while this is expensive, we're used to budgeting for it. And the deal we got on the flights and at the Grand Legacy for the dates is phenomenal (we optimistically booked both in January).

Honestly, I thought this was a long wait (got in the pre-queue at 7am and was booked at 2pm), but after reading posts from folks who just got tix 11-12 hours later, I feel lucky.

We'll be arriving Thurs, May 6 and will spend the day in DtD -- lunch at Ballast Point and dinner at Uva Bar (my DtD fave).

If anyone is a Lamplight Lounge fan, although they said reservations won't open until 4/22, it's available for most dates in May already. We booked lunch there for May 7.

We'll be there Monday the 24th for my birthday!! I can't wait to be back.

I got on the site at like 615am and got my tickets and reservations around 330pm.

I booked Wednesday 5/5 for my family of four, 1 park Disneyland tickets. We're trying to fit this in with both sons in college. We want to go when the capacity is still limited, so paying $154 per ticket is partly about being inside DL without hoards of people. In the past we've almost always skipped the crazy busy days and would often hit the parks from 8-1 on a Saturday and just know we would be leaving early because DL would get so crowded. I really hate being in crowds of people.

DH and I last went to DL in December 2018. We decided to take a break from our Sig+ annual passes because of Galaxy's Edge. Our two young adult sons went in August 2019, paying full price for one day one park tickets. The plan was to reassess annual passes in 2020, which of course didn't happen. Depending on when Disney offers the new annual pass/membership program, this summer could be super busy, or not. I'm surprised so many dates are still available for reservation, which suggests to me that many APers decided against paying full price to visit, especially when the admission can't be applied to the price of a new AP yet. Of course, limiting reservations to CA residents will also pull down demand.

I'm surprised so many dates are still available for reservation, which suggests to me that many APers decided against paying full price to visit, especially when the admission can't be applied to the price of a new AP yet. Of course, limiting reservations to CA residents will also pull down demand.

This makes me wonder how many Californians (especially SoCal) had annual passes *only* because they could afford a monthly payment plan, but either can't afford or don't want to pay full price for regular tickets.

This makes me wonder how many Californians (especially SoCal) had annual passes *only* because they could afford a monthly payment plan, but either can't afford or don't want to pay full price for regular tickets.
My guess is SoCal residents who went to DL/DCA more than once a year probably had passes (likely true of all Californians and possible residents of other states), and the $154 for a 1 Day/1 Park ticket feels excessive. We don't do the payment plan and hope it doesn't come back. Disney started the AP program to sell excess capacity, but over time -- and especially with the payment plans -- the AP program has created more demand than there is capacity, which has devalued the Disney experience for everyone. I've always felt badly for people coming to DL for a big once in a lifetime vacation only to find the parks packed to the gills.

My guess is SoCal residents who went to DL/DCA more than once a year probably had passes (likely true of all Californians and possible residents of other states), and the $154 for a 1 Day/1 Park ticket feels excessive. We don't do the payment plan and hope it doesn't come back. Disney started the AP program to sell excess capacity, but over time -- and especially with the payment plans -- the AP program has created more demand than there is capacity, which has devalued the Disney experience for everyone. I've always felt badly for people coming to DL for a big once in a lifetime vacation only to find the parks packed to the gills.
We are a family of four. For 1-day tickets to DCA, it would cost us $600. That is a bit of a steep price to pay. We don't have AP. Visiting Disney is definitely not cheap, and it feels like the prices are going up continuously, may be higher than the inflation rate.

A deluxe AP used to be the price of 2 2-3 day tickets, but not the last few years. I used to get one when I had 2 trips planned. I wonder if if/when APs come back, it’s only at a pretty high level, like over $1000 and no payment plan. Something that would make it cheaper to just go a few times a year.

Like many others we have had to cancel reservations at GCH. We are staying there 4/29-5/1 for opening weekend. Just the two of us. :earsgirl: :earsboy: We have 4 adult kids who think our Disney obsession is kind of cray-cray. Or maybe they are worried we are spending their inheritance. (yep)

Last edited:
We (myself, my 5 month pregnant wife, and her parents) check into GCH on 5/10 with park hoppers for 5/11 & 5/12, and check out 5/13. It will be interesting to see what the crowds look like on that Tuesday and Wednesday with crowds capped at 15% unless it changes. Will probably be last trip before baby boy gets here in Sept.

I know that DLH is closed but has there been any word if Steakhouse 55 will be operational when things open back up?

We are heading in Apr 30/May 1, then again May 27-31. 20% capacity (with an allowance to 25%) will be interesting to see. We are at the Grand. First trip, it is me and my daughters. Second trip is for my grandson's 6th birthday.

We (myself, my 5 month pregnant wife, and her parents) check into GCH on 5/10 with park hoppers for 5/11 & 5/12, and check out 5/13. It will be interesting to see what the crowds look like on that Tuesday and Wednesday with crowds capped at 15% unless it changes. Will probably be last trip before baby boy gets here in Sept.

I know that DLH is closed but has there been any word if Steakhouse 55 will be operational when things open back up?
I have it on excellent authority that Steakhouse will not be reopened that early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter