Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if we are at POR, we have to pick up the cake and cannot be delivered to our room?

I'm thinking of a 2tier mini cake that is Star Wars themed

They might deliver it to your room—call the number for POR listed in Post #2 of this thread. There's no Private Dining infrastructure at the Moderates and the Values, but at the Values, anyway, they always manage to get the cake to your room somehow.

Lurkyloo, is that a Captain Jack sugar character in the pictures? I would love to see that one painted out. We are celebrating my DD's 16th birthday in June. She's not much of a cake eater, but I bet she would love that Jack.

Anyone ever do the princess cake from CRT? I ordered one and realized they asked cake flavor but that's it. Is there no filling?

Hi All!

We are headed back to Disney in May...it's been a while! Anyway, we will be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary, and would love to have a cake made for our Wishes Cruise! 5 years ago, when we celebrated our 20th Anniversary, we had dinner at Narcoossee's, and had a darling cake made. I spoke with Pat, and it all worked out WONDERFULLY!! Is Pat still at Grand Floridian? Our Wishes Cruise leaves from GF Marina! Thanks!!

Lurkyloo, is that a Captain Jack sugar character in the pictures? I would love to see that one painted out. We are celebrating my DD's 16th birthday in June. She's not much of a cake eater, but I bet she would love that Jack.

Yes! He's made of solid white chocolate!

Anyone ever do the princess cake from CRT? I ordered one and realized they asked cake flavor but that's it. Is there no filling?

For the standard princess cakes the filling flavor is the same as the cake flavor. So if you asked for chocolate cake you're getting chocolate mousse filling. They might customize it for you, though.

Is Pat still at Grand Floridian? Our Wishes Cruise leaves from GF Marina! Thanks!!

Yes!

OMG! I just have to give a quick shout-out to Amy! She's been my contact at the magickingdom cakes email address, and she's just wonderful! I'm super happy about our cake, (so far). It will be a mini-cake (just three of us and we're not big desert eaters), delivered to CRT, chocolate with chocolate mousse filling, (though light on the filling) and vanilla buttercream frosting.

I pulled an inspiration picture from Pinterest, (or I'd share it, again it's Frozen themed) and she said they didn't have a problem with it and sent me my confirmation number!!! I will happily post a picture of the actual cake, Amy asked for one too!

So I want to do a graduation cake for my brother and his girlfriend on our trip in June. I did have a picture of a cake I wanted and I had it quoted at the Contemporary, but it was really pricey for just a 6 inch cake. If I give them a description of a cake theme I would like and a price point, would they be able to make me a nice cake? I'm nervous without knowing exactly what I'll be getting. If anyone has any suggestions on a design, I would like a dark blue and white cake, 8 inch, with Mickey heads on it, and saying "Congratulations Emily and Nate! Penn State Class of 2015". I'm considering ordering either at the Contemporary for Chef Mickeys or at GF for a dinner at Narcoossee's. I would like to stay around $75. Is it possible to get a really nice cake for that price? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
So I want to do a graduation cake for my brother and his girlfriend on our trip in June. I did have a picture of a cake I wanted and I had it quoted at the Contemporary, but it was really pricey for just a 6 inch cake. If I give them a description of a cake theme I would like and a price point, would they be able to make me a nice cake? I'm nervous without knowing exactly what I'll be getting. If anyone has any suggestions on a design, I would like a dark blue and white cake, 8 inch, with Mickey heads on it, and saying "Congratulations Emily and Nate! Penn State Class of 2015". I'm considering ordering either at the Contemporary for Chef Mickeys or at GF for a dinner at Narcoossee's. I would like to stay around $75. Is it possible to get a really nice cake for that price? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, you can get a really nice cake for that price. You can save money by making it a 6-inch cake (believe me, two people canNOT eat an 8-inch all by themselves; even a 6-inch cake wil last them days) and asking for buttercream instead of fondant. I also think the pastry chefs do some of their best work when you give them a more general description and just see what they can do with it.

For those who've asked about non-cake alternatives at the Disney resorts, here are the "Celebrations/Amenities" treats menus from Private Dining the Contemporary and Animal Kingdom Lodge to give you an idea of what might be available at your Deluxe resort. It varies, though, so definitely call to find out what your resort's options are.

Contemporary Resort Cake Alternatives
(May require 24 hours' notice)

• Miniature Disney-Inspired Cupcakes: Chocolate, Yellow, Strawberry and Red Velvet – $12
  • Chocolate-Covered Strawberries: Five Contemporary-style hand-dipped chocolate strawberries – $22
  • Contemporary Signature Chocolate Monorail: One of our Disney icons done in white chocolate, served with gourmet truffles – $45
  • Fresh-baked Mickey Chocolate Chip Cookies: $16
  • Health and Wellness: Blueberry Bar, Signature Granola, Fresh Fruit and Spa Water – $24

Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort Cake Alternatives
(May require 24 hours' notice)

• Taste of Africa: Zebra Dome, Kenyan Coffee Latte Tart & Fruit Tart – $9.99
  • Cookies and Milk: Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies with a choice of plain, strawberry or chocolate milk – $25 (serves 4)
  • Signature Zebra Domes: Our signature white and dark chocolate-glazed Amarula Mousse dessert –$33
  • Savanna Strawberries: Chocolate-covered strawberries decorated with an edible animal print design – $30
  • Welcome to Africa: A chocolate postcard decorates a tray filled with a variety of treats from our bakery – $111

Yes, you can get a really nice cake for that price. You can save money by making it a 6-inch cake (believe me, two people canNOT eat an 8-inch all by themselves; even a 6-inch cake wil last them days) and asking for buttercream instead of fondant. I also think the pastry chefs do some of their best work when you give them a more general description and just see what they can do with it.

Thanks, lurkyloo! I actually found a beautiful Wishes cake in the cake gallery link on the first page of this discussion. It would be perfect. I noticed the cake was from 5 years ago, and the person paid $110. Do you think the prices stay the same, or do they go up? I'm going to call Pat tomorrow and ask about it. Will she provide an email where I can send her a picture?

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B%3B%3C5%3Evq%3D4277%3E938%3E%3A34%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3A%3B73%3B763345vq0mrj

Okay, here's the photo of my cake, haven't figured out sizing it yet, sorry. It was an 8 inch chocolate with chocolate mousse and cannoli cream fillings, white butter cream frosting under the blue fondant. Snow White and Prince 2d on white chocolate and says "You might get a little Grumpy but you'll always be Prince Charming to me" on the front. This cake was SO good, super taste and really cute, dh was completely surprised and loved it. Cost was $82. We had it delivered to Artist Point at our dinner and just had it added to the bill, which we used TIW on the total bill but also tipped on the entire thing including the cake.
I would love to get this cake but I can't seem to get a larger picture of this cake. Want to save it to my phone so I can send it to the Disney when I am ready.

Can i get some flavor/filling combos that are popular or that you just enjoy? Would love to have as many suggestions as possible! I'm trying to decide on a flavor cake and the filling and i'm curious to see what other people have had and enjoyed..Thanks!

Thanks, lurkyloo! I actually found a beautiful Wishes cake in the cake gallery link on the first page of this discussion. It would be perfect. I noticed the cake was from 5 years ago, and the person paid $110. Do you think the prices stay the same, or do they go up? I'm going to call Pat tomorrow and ask about it. Will she provide an email where I can send her a picture?

I think the price will have gone up. You can tell Pat your budget and see what the bakery can do that is similar to the design you like for your price. If that's still too high, try the Contemporary again with a similar "work within my budget" request. They're usually cheaper than the GF. And yes, Pat can give you an email address where you can send photos.

I would love to get this cake but I can't seem to get a larger picture of this cake. Want to save it to my phone so I can send it to the Disney when I am ready.

Let's try tagging the OP, @2girlsmom , and see if she can post a larger picture (or email it to me so I can post it).

Can i get some flavor/filling combos that are popular or that you just enjoy? Would love to have as many suggestions as possible! I'm trying to decide on a flavor cake and the filling and i'm curious to see what other people have had and enjoyed..Thanks!

My favorites are

• Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting (not cream cheese filling)
  • Chocolate cake with a combo of chocolate ganache and peanut butter frosting for filling

Brides seem to love

• Almond cake and Amaretto Mousse with Almond Crunch
  • Yellow cake with Tropical Mousse (pineapple, passion fruit-mango, and lime mixed)
  • Chocolate Cake with Bailey's Mousse

Just wanted to say that I had a TERRIBLE experience buying a custom cake. :( I was really bummed and left a message saying the cake was not what I ordered, but my return message was simply that they were refunding one part of the cake-- will get into that in a second.

- $75 cake at AoA, delivered from Beach and Yacht kitchens.
- Ordered a 6" round with fondant and fresh strawberries. Chocolate cake with raspberry filling. Cake to be Mulan-themed for my friends' birthdays. I was told by the baker, Crystal, that she would incorporate the lanterns and cherry blossoms from the movie, as I said I wanted the ambiance of the festival (near the end of the movie) as the inspiration.
- GOT a 6" round with chocolate and vanilla. No strawberries. No lanterns, a terribly done dragon, and obviously bought sugar-flowers with plastic inside-- I cut my mouth figuring this out. The branch looked like a log of poop, honestly. No candles and insufficient forks, despite my specification of how many people I was serving... and the fact that they had the correct number of plates. The last bit was fine, but I thought it weird.

I was refunded the cost of the strawberries but none of the other issues were addressed. I just wanted them to know that I had not gotten what I ordered but they didn't seem to care. My friends didn't expect a cake so they liked what they got, but I really wish it had been what I ordered. If I had wanted a chocolate and vanilla cake, I could have gotten a Celebration cake and not bothered with the hassle of a custom order.

Actually, take a look at page 72, I have a larger copy of the photo there, if that doesn't work, I can try and repost again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!