****Official August 2015 Check-In Thread****

Just booked a last minute trip for my DD11 and myself August 28-31. We are staying at the Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel. We usually stay at a timeshare so this will be a new experience for us. Can't wait!!

Made it safely and our 4 year old son did really well for his first plane trip (cross country no less). he napped for two hours between Houston and anaheim which helped.

Got to SNA at 11:49, had our bags by 12:00, at the Disneyland Express counter by 12:10, rolling out at 12:30 on the dot and at the Hojo by 12:50. Got in early in a 7th floor kids suite - one of three Pirates of the Caribbean suites! Then a good but horribly overpriced pizza at Napoli and now resting. Been a long day and not much sleep last night. It's not 4pm, its 7pm. Why is it so sunny?

Bittersweet this morning. This is our last full day today. Looks like another hot one. We head to the airport tomorrow after lunch.

I hope everyone is having a great time. Safe travels to those who leave soon!

It sounds like everyone who is there right now is having a good time, I hope this trend continues for all of us traveling in August!

As for us, we leave in 6 days! :jumping3:

@Imdboss, I saw you had posted on the thread about the Orbitz deal and your dates not showing up. If you put Aug 22 as the start date but use Sept 2 as the end date, the buy 3, get 1 and buy 4, get 1 free deal pops up!

If anyone has yet to buy their park hoppers, check your dates and see if you can get the deal! (Oh, and get to Orbitz via ebates to get a bit more $ back!)

@Imdboss, I saw you had posted on the thread about the Orbitz deal and your dates not showing up. If you put Aug 22 as the start date but use Sept 2 as the end date, the buy 3, get 1 and buy 4, get 1 free deal pops up!

If anyone has yet to buy their park hoppers, check your dates and see if you can get the deal! (Oh, and get to Orbitz via ebates to get a bit more $ back!)

Oh thank you so much! I just checked it one day at a time to see when it started and 8/29 was the earliest that would work so then I tried what you suggested and that works! Saves us $60, which I'll end up eating in churros and corn dogs Also plan to book through ebates, every little bit adds up!

Oh thank you so much! I just checked it one day at a time to see when it started and 8/29 was the earliest that would work so then I tried what you suggested and that works! Saves us $60, which I'll end up eating in churros and corn dogs Also plan to book through ebates, every little bit adds up!

Between the deal and ebates, we are saving around $60 Canadian (so...3 Bucks US?) o_O

disneyland

mr. toad’s wild ride, alice in wonderland, Pinocchio’s daring journey, peter pan’s flight, snow white’s scary adventures, it’s a small world, matterhorn bobsleds, roger rabbit’s car toon spin, big thunder mountain railroad, pirates of the Caribbean, haunted mansion, winnie the pooh (twice), jungle cruise, indiana jones, buzz lightyear’s astro blasters, space mountain, splash mountain,

DCA

Soarin’ Over California, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Toy Story Midway Mania, Monsters Inc: Mike and Scully to the Rescue, Little Mermaid, Golden Zephyr, Goofy’s Sky School

25 rides; not bad for my first ever day at a disney park, eh? i literally did every ride I visited the parks to see in one day, with the one exception of radiator springs racers (which i’ll probably get a fast pass for today)

i still have 3 more days here, and I basically got my money’s worth in one; vacations aren’t supposed to go this smoothly

Well, I managed to have a whirlwind day at DLR and live to tell the tale! Unfortunately I'm back home in Pennsylvania wishing I would have been able to stay longer but still glad I was able to experience DLR and California for the first time. I'm already planning another trip for later this year or early next year.

We were at DLR for rope drop and made a rush for Indiana Jones right away, which had a 40 minute standby time as soon as we got off! Most of the day went smoothly except when Space Mountain broke down temporarily while we were waiting and we had an extra hour of standing in line. Despite only having one day, we were able to hit almost every ride in the park utilizing the parade and show times to get on certain rides with short standby lines. We even took a break midday and came back, enjoying ourselves right up until midnight. The August heat was definitely not what I'm used to, but I made it through ok thanks to suggestions from everyone on here!

I'm excited to hear about upcoming August experiences, especially if anyone else was almost apprehended by Stormtroopers while waiting for Star Tours like I was. Whew! The Empire almost had another prisoner :darth:

I was afraid of August crowds, but found it not bad in the mornings.
I went to Disneyland from August 10th to 14th with an old childhood friend (Barb) and thought I would share our experiences with as many times as I can in the hope it will help others with their plans and strategies.
Monday the 10th -We flew from PDX to SNA touching down about 2:00. It was an easy taxi ride to the BWPPI ($45 plus tip) and we took time to settle into the room before entering DL a little before 4:00. I went to the Photoshop to pick-up my PP+. We went by BTMRR and FP return time was after our dinner reservation time of 6:00 so we went on to HM and picked up a FP that had a return time of 5:15. We rode POC- 25 minute wait. We had time before FP window so we hiked over to Fantasyland to do Teacups, a nostalgic favorite for my friend. Back to HM and then checked in about 10 minutes early for BB Fantasmic Dinner. I wrote about that experience in the Fantasmic Superthread.

Tuesday the 11th
– Arrived at DCA gates about 7:50. I got RSR FPs and then we rode Toy Story Mania with 10 minute wait. We rode California Screaming twice with a 5 minute wait and then a 10 minute wait. We then rode Mickey’s Fun Wheel (Swinging) and then headed to RSR to use FP but it was down. I got Soaring FPs. A little before 10:00 we checked Tower of Terror and the wait time was posted at over an hour and the CM at the FP area said there were none available !!?!! Barb needed to get off her feet for a while so we watched the Anna and Elsa Sing Along. My young granddaughters would love this – the boys not so much. We went on Soaring about 10:40 then were on RSR at 11:30 with our FP. We shared a turkey sandwich at Flo’s and then caught the 12:40 Aladdin show. We got in line about 12:15. I like the mezzanine but probably should not have got in that line as the stairs were a struggle for Barb. Both the orchestra section and mezzanine were filled up about 12:30 and they opened the upper balcony. Back to the hotel after the show for a glass of wine and a nap. We had 6:50 dinner reservations at Ariel’s Grotto and 10:15 WOC show. I wrote about that experience in the WOC Superthread.

Wednesday the 12th
– Arrived at the gates about 7:55. There were a lot of people at the rope ahead of us also heading to Peter Pan. Barb could not move really fast but we got in line as soon as possible. We made it to the clock tower about 8:20 and were off the ride and heading to Alice at 8:30 with less than 10 minute wait. Next we got a FP for Space Mountain and got in line for Star Tours. The ST wait was posted at 20 minutes but it only took about 10. Next we rode Buzz with 5 minute wait. Used our FP for Space at 9:50 and then got FP for the Storyteller Theater and one for IJ. Return time for IJ was 11:15 and we had to be to the theater by 11:45 latest. I thought we could make it if we got on IJ right at 11:15. We rode the Jungle Cruise but then I made a big mistake by going to get beignets while waiting for IJ return time. There was a slow line at the Mint Julep Bar and then when my turn came around I needed to wait for a new batch to cook. We ate the wonderfully warm beignets while in the IJ line but did not enter until 11:25. We got off the ride right at 11:45, so too late to get to the show. Actually, I think the beignets were probably worth it! We headed to Big Thunder. The standby line was posted at 30 minutes but it only took about 20. Next we headed to the 1:00 Mickey and the Magical Map and got popcorn and a frozen pomegranate-lemonade. We headed back to the BWPPI after the show and I got a pizza from Pizza Press for lunch. We both took a long nap but Barb still had too much back and leg pain to go back for the Fireworks and Paint the Night parade. I entered the park about 7:00 PM. I walked back to NOS to just enjoy the atmosphere and had some PP+ pictures taken. I wrote about my experience fireworks and parade in the Paint the Night Parade and Disneyland Forever Fireworks Strategy thread.

Thursday the 13th – We arrived at the gates about 7:50. The plan was to get TOT FP first and then ride Soaring. Unfortunately, TOT did not open that morning. We got right on Soaring and then went to RSR single rider line. The new app indicated TOT was still not open. It was already warm enough to get wet so we rode GRR twice with a 5 minute wait first and 10 minutes on the second. TOT was still not open so back to Carsland. I checked the app before getting in line and TOT was now open. Barb was sore and hurting so I hurried to TOT to get a FP. Unfortunately, FP was not open. The CM said there was only one elevator open and he did not know if the other one would open or if FP would be available that day. Standby was only 20 minutes so called Barb to head this way. She can’t move quickly and the time had changed to 70 minutes by the time she arrived. We decided to bite the bullet and just get in line about 10:20. We got lucky and the 70 minutes turned into only 35. I suspect another elevator was now in service. When we got off the FP machines were open so we grabbed some for another ride. Next we had burgers at the Smoke Jumpers Grill, rode Monster’s Inc. with 20 minute wait and back to Tower of Terror at 12:50. Barb headed to the hotel and I rode RSR single rider, had some Photopass pictures taken, browsed the shops and then went back for a break at 2:00. Barb wanted to get her grandkids and daycare kids some gifts so we headed to W of D store about 6:30. After a long time browsing just the one store we ate the buffet dinner at Storytellers Café at 8:00. Barb was not up to going back to the park to see the late parade (I watched the night before), so I headed to RSR to ride single rider at night. I got some night time pictures of Carsland and just enjoyed the atmosphere before heading back to the hotel about 10:30.

Friday the 14th
– We packed up and checked out of the BWPPI and had them store our luggage. We got to the gates about 8:05 and headed to the Matterhorn. Only one side was open with a wait of about 10 minutes. While we were in line the Fantasyland side opened at about 8:25. We rode Star Tours again with less than 10 minute wait and then took the train from Tomorrowland to NOS. It was already quite warm so we walked onto Splash Mountain at 9:25 and then rode Winnie the Poo with no wait. POC was closed so we took the train from NOS to ToonTown. We rode IASW at 10:00 with less than 5 minute wait and then were ready for ice cream. None of the carts with Mickey bars were open yet and I hoped Clarabelle’s would be. I was disappointed as it was not. We walked on to Rodger Rabbit then headed back to the Teacups where the wait was less than 10 minutes. We took some pictures in the Teacup and then in front of the castle and then headed for Gibson Girl still in search of ice cream. We got there about 11:10 and they did not open until 11:30. It was already 87 degrees so we decided to just wait at a table in the cool air conditioned parlor. We enjoyed root beer floats and then watched Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Barb finished up shopping for her many littles at the Emporium and then we headed out of the Park. We had lunch at Tony Romas at 2:00 and then waited for an hour in the lobby of the hotel for our 4:00 pick-up to take us to the airport.

Hi everyone :wave:

I'm a little late in joining this thread, but just wanted to jump on, say "hi" and read about some of your Aug experiences since we're heading to our first ever DL trip in just 3 days!!!:banana::cheer2::dancer::woohoo:

We'll be at DL on fri, DCA on Sat, and DL Sun, Mon and Tues. If you see us (family of 6, probably all wearing matching-ish shirts and overwhelmed/confused looks :rotfl:) say hi!

I'm a little late in joining this thread, but just wanted to jump on, say "hi" and read about some of your Aug experiences since we're heading to our first ever DL trip in just 3 days!!!:banana::cheer2::dancer::woohoo:

We'll be at DL on fri, DCA on Sat, and DL Sun, Mon and Tues. If you see us (family of 6, probably all wearing matching-ish shirts and overwhelmed/confused looks :rotfl:) say hi!

Welcome!

Did you have any questions that maybe some of us could help you with?

Welcome!

Did you have any questions that maybe some of us could help you with?

I've been reading all I can and asking some questions on the board so hopefully we'll do okay. My biggest concern is that I'll mess up Fantasmic! and get a terrible viewing area (we'll be getting FPs in the morning on Sunday) and because I've never been to DL and don't know the layout I'm concerned that I wont be able to good seats for the soundsational parade and PTN/fireworks. I'm sure I'm just putting too much pressure on myself to make sure I "do it right" since who knows when we'll be able to get back to DL again...but I'm sure we'll have a great time either way!

Welcome! We fly in on Sat and will be in the parks Sun-Fri so who knows maybe we'll see each other and not even know it! Have a great time!

I've been reading all I can and asking some questions on the board so hopefully we'll do okay. My biggest concern is that I'll mess up Fantasmic! and get a terrible viewing area (we'll be getting FPs in the morning on Sunday) and because I've never been to DL and don't know the layout I'm concerned that I wont be able to good seats for the soundsational parade and PTN/fireworks. I'm sure I'm just putting too much pressure on myself to make sure I "do it right" since who knows when we'll be able to get back to DL again...but I'm sure we'll have a great time either way!
I have the exact same concerns! We'll be doing Fantasmic this Sunday as well. Although I've been to DL multiple times, this is the first Fantasmic for me. The best advice I've seen is, there are good spots in every FP area, and bad spots. Just be there on time, and try your best for a good one.
If you see us, say hi. :wave2: We're 3 generations of brunettes, 2 adults and a 13 year-old, headed to DL for my mom's 60th b-day. We'll be wearing matching shirts as well. ;)

ETA: I just re-read your first post. I see DCA for only one day. Did you get one park per day tickets? Many of us choose parkhoppers for DLR since they are right across from each other. My group usually hits both parks each day. DCA is a favorite of ours.

I have the exact same concerns! We'll be doing Fantasmic this Sunday as well. Although I've been to DL multiple times, this is the first Fantasmic for me. The best advice I've seen is, there are good spots in every FP area, and bad spots. Just be there on time, and try your best for a good one.
If you see us, say hi. :wave2: We're 3 generations of brunettes, 2 adults and a 13 year-old, headed to DL for my mom's 60th b-day. We'll be wearing matching shirts as well. ;)

ETA: I just re-read your first post. I see DCA for only one day. Did you get one park per day tickets? Many of us choose parkhoppers for DLR since they are right across from each other. My group usually hits both parks each day. DCA is a favorite of ours.

Yay- there will be a few of us there this weekend/coming week! Hoping for good weather and good crowds :wizard:
We do have parkhoppers; we'll probably do half day on Tuesday at DCA and end the day at DL :cool1:

Yay- there will be a few of us there this weekend/coming week! Hoping for good weather and good crowds :wizard:
We do have parkhoppers; we'll probably do half day on Tuesday at DCA and end the day at DL :cool1:
It seems you may be selling DCA a bit short. Don't hamstring yourself to which park you'll be spending your time in. With park hoppers, you'll want to allow for the possibility of, at 2pm or something, saying "Okay, we just got off Haunted Mansion, let's go hit up Soarin'" or something like that. I think you'll find after visiting DCA that it's worth more than just half a day. :)

Super sad day for us today. We fly back to Seattle tonight. :(

But that's after 4 incredible days at Disneyland! Best birthday ever! My boys are having the time of their lives. We all are, exhausted feet and all. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter