Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Does the 5k have corrals? I didn't see a place to enter times at registration.

The 5K does have corrals...just not as many as the Saturday/Sunday races. If memory serves, the 5K and the 10K have 4 or 5 corrals.

There usually is a box for you to enter your estimated time of finish. You didn't see one? Maybe they've changed that process?

I found a half-marathon in September that coincides exactly with the Galloway Marathon training schedule on the RunDisney site! :banana: I'm going to work on getting my best time possible on that race so I can have a better corral placement. My last half performance (from 2013) was slow, so I'd like to bump it up if possible!

Is it the rock and roll philly half? I'm planning to run that also and hopefully get a better proof if time

Does the 5k have corrals? I didn't see a place to enter times at registration.
The 5K does have corrals...just not as many as the Saturday/Sunday races. If memory serves, the 5K and the 10K have 4 or 5 corrals.

There usually is a box for you to enter your estimated time of finish. You didn't see one? Maybe they've changed that process?
I'm not totally sure how it works this year - I'm running the 5K as part of the Dopey Challenge so I didn't have to enter anything in for the 5K itself.

In 2013 I ran the 5K + Goofy, so I did have to register for that one separately. I remember having to put in my estimated pace per mile - I entered in 9:00 - 11:00/mile and was placed in Corral B - I think there maybe have been D or E corrals? Definitely not as many as in the half marathon and marathon. Similar process for the Jingle Jungle 5K (ran it in 2013 and just signed up to run it later this year) - no proof or estimated finish time, just putting in estimated pace. For the JJ5K they had D corrals (I think...E at the most) and I ended up in Corral A this time putting in a 9:00-11:00/mile estimated pace. :eek: And this was even with the new corralling system for Wine & Dine, so if I had to guess, I'd think they are still treating the WDW 5K this same way...with the exception of somehow seeing the Dopey runners alongside the runners that are not there for Dopey. Hope that makes sense!! :goodvibes

For what reasons?

The biggest reason was the volunteers. They use kids from track teams, who are often goofing off. Also, for slower runners, the bands are often gone by the time you get there. The course is also ungodly hot (no shade, except a small part by mile 10), and I disagree with RnR's policy of busing people further along the course if they can't keep up.

I'm not totally sure how it works this year - I'm running the 5K as part of the Dopey Challenge so I didn't have to enter anything in for the 5K itself.

In 2013 I ran the 5K + Goofy, so I did have to register for that one separately. I remember having to put in my estimated pace per mile - I entered in 9:00 - 11:00/mile and was placed in Corral B - I think there maybe have been D or E corrals? Definitely not as many as in the half marathon and marathon. Similar process for the Jingle Jungle 5K (ran it in 2013 and just signed up to run it later this year) - no proof or estimated finish time, just putting in estimated pace. For the JJ5K they had D corrals (I think...E at the most) and I ended up in Corral A this time putting in a 9:00-11:00/mile estimated pace. :eek: And this was even with the new corralling system for Wine & Dine, so if I had to guess, I'd think they are still treating the WDW 5K this same way...with the exception of somehow seeing the Dopey runners alongside the runners that are not there for Dopey. Hope that makes sense!! :goodvibes

As a Dopey runner you will find that you are seeded in one of 5 (if the same as last year) corrals. You will be seeded by estimated pace... or in other words, correctly. What you will have to maneuver through are those who claim to be sub 7 minute runners but will struggle to finish in less than an hour. It's really not as bad as I just made it sound, I just hit a couple rolling roadblocks (slower folks running/walking 4-5 wide) in a narrow area.

On the 10k, you will find the u-turn and then the exit from Epcot back into the Cast Member Parking lot are kind of crowded, but nothing to really sneeze at...

Thanks - She is now considering the full marathon, but I am worried about that. She is a Type 1 diabetic and had a low blood sugar incident after the half that required medical attention. The medical team in the tent was AWESOME, but had it happened on the course things could have gone very poorly.

Have her talk with the doc... There are several folks in the same boat and med technologies have really improved in that area over the last 5 years. If the doc is up on the latest stuff she and the doc could pull together a training program and equip her with the latest tools.

Yep, at Princess the Glass Slipper Challenge runners were given one bib for the challenge, and there were two corral assignments...i.e. "A/D" (so corral A for the 10K, D for the half). I wonder if they will do something similar for the Dopey runners - maybe one bib for the 5K/10K with those races' corral assignments listed similarly, then the same for the half/full? :confused3

Last Dopey had two bibs with one corral each. I also hope that they give two corral letters for at least the half and full. That would get the Dopey/Goofies correctly corralled in the half next year. One corral assignment for the 5 and 10k still seems appropriate.

As a Dopey runner you will find that you are seeded in one of 5 (if the same as last year) corrals. You will be seeded by estimated pace... or in other words, correctly. What you will have to maneuver through are those who claim to be sub 7 minute runners but will struggle to finish in less than an hour. It's really not as bad as I just made it sound, I just hit a couple rolling roadblocks (slower folks running/walking 4-5 wide) in a narrow area.

On the 10k, you will find the u-turn and then the exit from Epcot back into the Cast Member Parking lot are kind of crowded, but nothing to really sneeze at...

Thank you for this!!

I definitely entered in a proof of time (from a 10-mile race) - so that's what they will use to seed me, right? I don't remember entering in an estimated pace (9:00 - 11:00/mile, for example, like I did for 2013 signing up for the 5K only)...and of course I cannot access my registration details because Active.com is so difficult with these Disney races. :rolleyes2

Last Dopey had two bibs with one corral each. I also hope that they give two corral letters for at least the half and full. That would get the Dopey/Goofies correctly corralled in the half next year. One corral assignment for the 5 and 10k still seems appropriate.

I hope they do! It sounded like it worked well for the GSC...and one of the biggest complaints I've heard from Dopey runners is how they were corralled for the half, so I'd be surprised if they didn't change something. :confused3 They seem to do a good job of listening to runner suggestions, especially lately.

The biggest reason was the volunteers. They use kids from track teams, who are often goofing off. Also, for slower runners, the bands are often gone by the time you get there. The course is also ungodly hot (no shade, except a small part by mile 10), and I disagree with RnR's policy of busing people further along the course if they can't keep up.

Good to know. I had been considering this one as well!

Speaking of bad volunteers, I did a race a month ago where the volunteers were pouring straight gatorade concentrate into the cups :sick: I wonder how fast they ran out! That was the first race where I decided not to carry my own nuun, so I was a little disappointed by that. Luckily, it was a cool day and water was sufficient.

For those who have completed a WDW half before, how many character stops are there? How long would you say the lines are if you stop?

For those who have completed a WDW half before, how many character stops are there? How long would you say the lines are if you stop?

We did the WDW Half (Donald) in 2013, and of those I can remember I'd say there were at least 7-10 character stops with the lines varying from one character to another -- it probably also depends on when you're getting there, too. We've had some lines move quickly with people popping in and popping out after their picture, and we've had lines that have taken forever as some people try to pose for multiple pictures.

Keeping in mind that these are subject to change from year to year, here are the character stops from when I ran the half in 2013:

- 1-2 characters meeting in the staging area before the race...I forget who it was
- Pirate ship with Jack Sparrow, Barbosa, pirates meeting in between MM2 & MM3
- Chip & Dale with racing hats outside of the WDW Speedway (between MM3 & MM4)
- Jack Skellington and Sally just before MM4

No one in between MM4 and MM5

In the Magic Kingdom...
- Buzz Lightyear in front of the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland
- Queen of Hearts and Alice in front of the Mad Tea Party ride
- Royal Donald at the backside of the castle --> pretty sure this was the longest line we waited in (5-6 minutes)
- Tiana at the entrance to Liberty Square
- Jessie in Frontierland

**MM6 is in Frontierland**

- Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip backstage at the Magic Kingdom
- Mary & Bert outside of the Grand Floridian in between MM7 & MM8
- Lilo & Stitch outside of the Polynesian in between MM7 & MM8
- The Genie in between MM8 & MM9
- Second chance at the pirates M&G in between MM9 & MM10
- Sarge going up the overpass after MM10
- Phineas & Ferb just before MM12 --> virtually non-existent line with the end so close
- Stitch just inside Epcot...he must've run all the way over from the Polynesian to greet me! :rotfl:
- Mickey in track suit at the finish line...note that the CM will NOT take your picture for you with the finish line characters anymore

These are all subject to change and switch out...but they should give you a good idea of places to look (for example - the MK locations were the same for me during the Princess Half, WDW Half and 2 marathons). If you want a character photo make sure to be aware of your surroundings if you're crossing the course. :goodvibes

The lines moved pretty quickly. There are no autograph books and there are normally 2 CMs at each character - one taking the current runner's picture, the other getting the next camera ready. I think the longest I've waited in a line was 7-8 minutes for Royal Mickey & Minnie during the marathon at the back side of the castle, and that line was HUGE. Lines are shorter in the earlier corrals.

Hope this helps!!

Is it the rock and roll philly half? I'm planning to run that also and hopefully get a better proof if time

It's not - I'm in the Chicago Suburbs so I signed up for a local race (Fox Valley Marathon , Fall Final 20, & 1/2 Marathon). It's a great race - small and the course is flat & fast! (Unfortunately I'm kind of a slowpoke, so the flatter the better for me, haha.)

Keeping in mind that these are subject to change from year to year, here are the character stops from when I ran the half in 2013:

- 1-2 characters meeting in the staging area before the race...I forget who it was
- Pirate ship with Jack Sparrow, Barbosa, pirates meeting in between MM2 & MM3
- Chip & Dale with racing hats outside of the WDW Speedway (between MM3 & MM4)
- Jack Skellington and Sally just before MM4

No one in between MM4 and MM5

In the Magic Kingdom...
- Buzz Lightyear in front of the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland
- Queen of Hearts and Alice in front of the Mad Tea Party ride
- Royal Donald at the backside of the castle --> pretty sure this was the longest line we waited in (5-6 minutes)
- Tiana at the entrance to Liberty Square
- Jessie in Frontierland

**MM6 is in Frontierland**

- Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip backstage at the Magic Kingdom
- Mary & Bert outside of the Grand Floridian in between MM7 & MM8
- Lilo & Stitch outside of the Polynesian in between MM7 & MM8
- The Genie in between MM8 & MM9
- Second chance at the pirates M&G in between MM9 & MM10
- Sarge going up the overpass after MM10
- Phineas & Ferb just before MM12 --> virtually non-existent line with the end so close
- Stitch just inside Epcot...he must've run all the way over from the Polynesian to greet me! :rotfl:
- Mickey in track suit at the finish line...note that the CM will NOT take your picture for you with the finish line characters anymore

These are all subject to change and switch out...but they should give you a good idea of places to look (for example - the MK locations were the same for me during the Princess Half, WDW Half and 2 marathons). If you want a character photo make sure to be aware of your surroundings if you're crossing the course. :goodvibes

The lines moved pretty quickly. There are no autograph books and there are normally 2 CMs at each character - one taking the current runner's picture, the other getting the next camera ready. I think the longest I've waited in a line was 7-8 minutes for Royal Mickey & Minnie during the marathon at the back side of the castle, and that line was HUGE. Lines are shorter in the earlier corrals.

Hope this helps!!

Wow! Fantastic record of the line up! Thank you! :)

Just gotta say how happy I am that I somehow ended up signing up for this Half again. I had such a lousy time this year (I was so sick). Ann was so right; I need a redo. :thumbsup2

At only 52% full, I caved and registered for the full marathon race retreat. I purchased race retreat for the PHM, and thought I wouldn't need it for the WDW full, but then started considering logistics. I'm using the following excuses/logic:

1) It's my first full marathon.
2) Temperature control. I get cold easily and with my recent IT band issues, cold is very, very bad.
3) I like to arrive very early. See the part about temperature control, above.
4) I love bacon.

Anyone else?

Just gotta say how happy I am that I somehow ended up signing up for this Half again. I had such a lousy time this year (I was so sick). Ann was so right; I need a redo. :thumbsup2

Followed your trip report, and there is no question that a redo is in order!!!

It's not - I'm in the Chicago Suburbs so I signed up for a local race (Fox Valley Marathon , Fall Final 20, & 1/2 Marathon). It's a great race - small and the course is flat & fast! (Unfortunately I'm kind of a slowpoke, so the flatter the better for me, haha.)

Hi, neighbor!

And speaking of character stops, how many of you pause your watches/running apps while waiting to get your photo taken or when you hop on a ride? Part of me wants to pause Nike+ if I stop to do something fun on the course so I can see jut how much time I actually spent running for real, but part of me also thinks that may be "cheating."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter