Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

So, does that mean what I think it means? They will have the coaster open for runners? Because MK is so early in the course, the park isn't even open yet for any of the runners is it? If it is going to be open that would be cool, but I think the line would be crazy for it.

Sounds like it. Expedition Everest is practically a tradition to have running for the runners when the runners are coming through. So I'm guessing opening up another coaster isn't exactly beyond their capacity.

Not that I'm going to have the time to stop for a ride on either. I would love too. But I have something to prove here and I need my official time to be a good one along with an unofficial one. So no stopping for rides or characters. Not this year at least. Maybe in a couple of years. Just running the parks will be enough Disney magic for me.

Sounds like it. Expedition Everest is practically a tradition to have running for the runners when the runners are coming through. So I'm guessing opening up another coaster isn't exactly beyond their capacity.

Not that I'm going to have the time to stop for a ride on either. I would love too. But I have something to prove here and I need my official time to be a good one along with an unofficial one. So no stopping for rides or characters. Not this year at least. Maybe in a couple of years. Just running the parks will be enough Disney magic for me.

I had a pretty good time in the full this year,well at least for me.This year since I'll be doing Goofy I plan to do more walking than in previous years so I'm no worrying about time this year.Knowing that ,I'll be riding 7DMT and Everest if they're open,I'm not waiting 20 minutes but I hope I can ride them.Will 7DMT be open for both the half and full.In 2016 I'll go back to trying to get a PR.

I had a pretty good time in the full this year,well at least for me.This year since I'll be doing Goofy I plan to do more walking than in previous years so I'm no worrying about time this year.Knowing that ,I'll be riding 7DMT and Everest if they're open,I'm not waiting 20 minutes but I hope I can ride them.Will 7DMT be open for both the half and full.In 2016 I'll go back to trying to get a PR.

Yeah well this is my first full attempt in three years and I'm afraid the stopping and starting might be my undoing even with proper training. Plus the standing in line even if its short. There's a reason why I sit in the corrals before the race starts and not stand. I am orthostatic intolerant and how bad my standing can be on a day (ranging from pain to nausea at worse) is like rolling a dice on certain days. And I cant even tell until after I've stopped moving long enough. And then it can start effecting my walking sometimes when I get moving again.

The last time I stopped for characters was during Princess '13. And it was a mixed bag with my orthostatic. Admittedly that was before I go my arch supports (I also have really weird arches). But I knew in some of the longer lines it was getting to me. So it is something I have to take into consideration when I make extra stops. I mean I've done races without problems and I've done some with problems it just depends on the day.

I'm thinking in a couple of years when I've fully graduated to running the 26.2 (something I'm working towards with my trainer). Stopping for the coasters or a couple of the characters won't be out of the question again. Because running doesn't effect it for some reason.

Also add in the fact that my time is more than just a PR goal. It's a if 'If I can pull this off I'm going to register for this specific race' goal. Then yeah I need to not make the stop. Not fast enough for Boston yet (hoping to be in a year or so but that's that's another year or two of speed and endurance work away I think). But if I can get fast enough to get in where I comfortably finish way ahead of the sub 6 hour mark. I'm going to try and register (most likely get in because I have gotten very good at filling out forms fast thank you Comic Con) for the Marine Corps 17.75 to gain access to the Marine Corps Marathon. A race I attempted back in '11 but didn't finish because of horrible pacing on my part and severe muscle cramps.

Okay...First off, I'm sorry if this has already been answered for someone previously. I'm new to disboards, and I am running my first half marathon in January! My boyfriend and I will be doing the race together, and we had a few questions.

We would really like to stay onsite, but I keep seeing that I shouldn't book our hotel through the rundisney channel. I was under the impression that we would get a discount for running, but apparently I was wrong. Should I just wait and book our room later through the disney website?

Also, we are considering the Pasta in the Park Party for the night before our race. Is this recommended or should we just save our money? We've already decided that we are not going to any parks while we are there because we have a family vacation planned in June 2014. No need to spend the money again.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

Keeping in mind that these are subject to change from year to year, here are the character stops from when I ran the half in 2013:

- 1-2 characters meeting in the staging area before the race...I forget who it was
- Pirate ship with Jack Sparrow, Barbosa, pirates meeting in between MM2 & MM3
- Chip & Dale with racing hats outside of the WDW Speedway (between MM3 & MM4)
- Jack Skellington and Sally just before MM4

No one in between MM4 and MM5

In the Magic Kingdom...
- Buzz Lightyear in front of the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland
- Queen of Hearts and Alice in front of the Mad Tea Party ride
- Royal Donald at the backside of the castle --> pretty sure this was the longest line we waited in (5-6 minutes)
- Tiana at the entrance to Liberty Square
- Jessie in Frontierland

**MM6 is in Frontierland**

- Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip backstage at the Magic Kingdom
- Mary & Bert outside of the Grand Floridian in between MM7 & MM8
- Lilo & Stitch outside of the Polynesian in between MM7 & MM8
- The Genie in between MM8 & MM9
- Second chance at the pirates M&G in between MM9 & MM10
- Sarge going up the overpass after MM10
- Phineas & Ferb just before MM12 --> virtually non-existent line with the end so close
- Stitch just inside Epcot...he must've run all the way over from the Polynesian to greet me! :rotfl:
- Mickey in track suit at the finish line...note that the CM will NOT take your picture for you with the finish line characters anymore

Great list! I do think it changed a bit in 2014, yes? I don't remember a couple of them... of course, I don't remember a lot from the race.:rolleyes:

Just gotta say how happy I am that I somehow ended up signing up for this Half again. I had such a lousy time this year (I was so sick). Ann was so right; I need a redo. :thumbsup2

I am so glad you signed up! I do think a redo is in order!!!

Thanks for chiming in, everybody. I think I'll stick with my plan to keep Nike+ going on my iPhone during the race (and that means I'll be looking at battery pack cases soon). I think I'll be finishing around the five hour mark, so I'm going to save my photo stops for maybe two or three essentials (not that I'm big on character photos anyway): Cinderella Castle, anyone from The Lion King, and Wreck-it-Ralph (if they're going to have him out again). But above all, saving time Expedition Everest trumps all photos. Riding a roller coaster in the middle of a race is too awesome for me to pass up. I assume they just let the marathoners jump onto the ride with no waiting?

My dd was there at opening and according to her... they let runners on ahead of just regular park guests.

i bet they will have the mine train open for runners. and i will definitely ride!

i got to AK in january before park opening. maybe 10 minutes before. and they already had EE running. i was able to get on with no problems (except the ride got stuck for about 2 minutes at the top!). i'm sure it was before opening because i saw my husband and kids outside of the park at the entrance right at 9! :dance3:

My dd rode early that day and had the cm tell her about how on a cold morning the vehicles can get stuck and not make it through the corners. They have to do prechecks with weights. This day, they had done those while she waited. She could tell her cart had some trouble but made it through. I guess they didn't do enough prechecks.

Yeah well this is my first full attempt in three years and I'm afraid the stopping and starting might be my undoing even with proper training. Plus the standing in line even if its short. There's a reason why I sit in the corrals before the race starts and not stand. I am orthostatic intolerant and how bad my standing can be on a day (ranging from pain to nausea at worse) is like rolling a dice on certain days. And I cant even tell until after I've stopped moving long enough. And then it can start effecting my walking sometimes when I get moving again.

The last time I stopped for characters was during Princess '13. And it was a mixed bag with my orthostatic. Admittedly that was before I go my arch supports (I also have really weird arches). But I knew in some of the longer lines it was getting to me. So it is something I have to take into consideration when I make extra stops. I mean I've done races without problems and I've done some with problems it just depends on the day.

I'm thinking in a couple of years when I've fully graduated to running the 26.2 (something I'm working towards with my trainer). Stopping for the coasters or a couple of the characters won't be out of the question again. Because running doesn't effect it for some reason.

Also add in the fact that my time is more than just a PR goal. It's a if 'If I can pull this off I'm going to register for this specific race' goal. Then yeah I need to not make the stop. Not fast enough for Boston yet (hoping to be in a year or so but that's that's another year or two of speed and endurance work away I think). But if I can get fast enough to get in where I comfortably finish way ahead of the sub 6 hour mark. I'm going to try and register (most likely get in because I have gotten very good at filling out forms fast thank you Comic Con) for the Marine Corps 17.75 to gain access to the Marine Corps Marathon. A race I attempted back in '11 but didn't finish because of horrible pacing on my part and severe muscle cramps.

I find this interesting... If my endurance is there... I always feel better to maintain a steady pace rather than stop. Stopping tends to make my joints hurt...where as if I just keep running I am fine.

Sounds like you have some great goals, btw!! I wish you luck with them. :goodvibes

Great list! I do think it changed a bit in 2014, yes? I don't remember a couple of them... of course, I don't remember a lot from the race.:rolleyes:

I am so glad you signed up! I do think a redo is in order!!!

My dd was there at opening and according to her... they let runners on ahead of just regular park guests.

My dd rode early that day and had the cm tell her about how on a cold morning the vehicles can get stuck and not make it through the corners. They have to do prechecks with weights. This day, they had done those while she waited. She could tell her cart had some trouble but made it through. I guess they didn't do enough prechecks.

I find this interesting... If my endurance is there... I always feel better to maintain a steady pace rather than stop. Stopping tends to make my joints hurt...where as if I just keep running I am fine.

Sounds like you have some great goals, btw!! I wish you luck with them. :goodvibes

I've never had problems with joints. And they never bothered me when I stopped. It's always been these particularly spots on the bottom of my feet that can be particularly troublesome if I stop too long. But then again my graduation from a run/walker class to a runner class has only begun very recently (like back in late October recent, I was doing a 10k and noticed that I was holding my run comfortably for longer than and decided to see how long I could go for went for almost a mile (.9 miles if I go by my Garmin) and only stopped there because I hit the race finish).

Then again I might just be an oddball runner and might have no problems. My current standing PR for a half that I will be attempting to take down in September is 3:20. It was set during the first half of the San Francisco Marathon. You know the one with like 6 different hills in the 1st half? Yeah I set my PR during that half of the SF Marathon. Not the easier 2nd half with its slightly rolling hills for the first part, and a downhill followed by a flat course for the rest of the way. No the more difficult 1st half. I still don't know how the hell I pulled that one off and its been three years.

You would think this time would be a lot easier to take down but between a crappy trainer before my current one and other issues, it hasn't. I thought it was going to finally be taken down going into this year's Tinker Bell then I had medical issues that sidelined me from running for around three weeks. I made the Tinker Bell just didn't make my goal time.

Heck knowing my luck if something happens its not going to be something normal. When I get sidelined from a race. It's 90% of the time not a normal thing. I can name two times in my running career where I was sidelined with either an actual running injury (sprained ankle back in March of 11) or a 'normal' illness (flu in February took me out for a week).

I always get the freaky weird stuff. I missed my entire last month of training for the Disneyland Half in 2012 because my foot got infected with a septic infection due to a mole I got removed at the beginning of August. That was a race from hell on more than one level. Only reason I finished because like hell was I going to DNF on my birthday.

The Tinker Bell incident I mentioned above involved me reacting to an anti-malaria medicine from going to a friend's wedding. And not even in a normal pattern. I got the it aggravated a pre-existing condition and thank god we finally got the condition diagnosed back in May or else we wouldn't have had a clue what was going on. I spent about three weeks where I was using a cane on and off until the medicine was completely out of my system.

And my previous attempt at the WDW Marathon I've mentioned. Well the reason why it was a DNF was because I got sick with a sinus infection, for three weeks. Heck I thought I was pretty much better going into the marathon until my ear got so congested flying into Orlando that we had to go the airport's urgent care for medicine. Not fun. Guess who got to run the part of the marathon she did complete on anti-inflammatories and medicinal steroids? (yeah I know its not recommended but considering the circumstances) I've since discovered that if I get sinus infections I need something a lot stronger than your typical cold medications because for some reason my body works like crap fighting them off (went through this a second time around last summer).

Sorry kind of got off on a tagent here.

I am paying for the race retreat as soon as cash flow loosens up enough here to pay for it. Thankfully the retreat isn't going to fast (was a bit of a concern when it hit 50%). But yeah I'll be seeing you in the tent too. We're also forking the cash over for the Chear Squad Platinum. We paid for it when we did the 2012 race and my Mom still raves about it. So we are going to pay for it again.

What did she love about the Platinum cheer squad?

What did she love about the Platinum cheer squad?

That she can get into the Race Retreat too. After a certain point she doesn't like too hop all over the course looking for me. So she'll just settle into the tent and check the live race results instead. She ended up just hanging in their when I DNFed in 2012 and had to ride the swag waggon instead. She's a bit heat sensitive so a nice cool spot to get away from the heat once she's through trying to see me on course. Works really nice.

Keeping in mind that these are subject to change from year to year, here are the character stops from when I ran the half in 2013:

- 1-2 characters meeting in the staging area before the race...I forget who it was
- Pirate ship with Jack Sparrow, Barbosa, pirates meeting in between MM2 & MM3
- Chip & Dale with racing hats outside of the WDW Speedway (between MM3 & MM4)
- Jack Skellington and Sally just before MM4

No one in between MM4 and MM5

In the Magic Kingdom...
- Buzz Lightyear in front of the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland
- Queen of Hearts and Alice in front of the Mad Tea Party ride
- Royal Donald at the backside of the castle --> pretty sure this was the longest line we waited in (5-6 minutes)
- Tiana at the entrance to Liberty Square
- Jessie in Frontierland

**MM6 is in Frontierland**

- Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip backstage at the Magic Kingdom
- Mary & Bert outside of the Grand Floridian in between MM7 & MM8
- Lilo & Stitch outside of the Polynesian in between MM7 & MM8
- The Genie in between MM8 & MM9
- Second chance at the pirates M&G in between MM9 & MM10
- Sarge going up the overpass after MM10
- Phineas & Ferb just before MM12 --> virtually non-existent line with the end so close
- Stitch just inside Epcot...he must've run all the way over from the Polynesian to greet me! :rotfl:
- Mickey in track suit at the finish line...note that the CM will NOT take your picture for you with the finish line characters anymore

These are all subject to change and switch out...but they should give you a good idea of places to look (for example - the MK locations were the same for me during the Princess Half, WDW Half and 2 marathons). If you want a character photo make sure to be aware of your surroundings if you're crossing the course. :goodvibes

The lines moved pretty quickly. There are no autograph books and there are normally 2 CMs at each character - one taking the current runner's picture, the other getting the next camera ready. I think the longest I've waited in a line was 7-8 minutes for Royal Mickey & Minnie during the marathon at the back side of the castle, and that line was HUGE. Lines are shorter in the earlier corrals.

Hope this helps!!

This helps a ton!!!!!! And, makes it all that much more exciting!
Thank you!

That she can get into the Race Retreat too. After a certain point she doesn't like too hop all over the course looking for me. So she'll just settle into the tent and check the live race results instead. She ended up just hanging in their when I DNFed in 2012 and had to ride the swag waggon instead. She's a bit heat sensitive so a nice cool spot to get away from the heat once she's through trying to see me on course. Works really nice.

Thank you! Trying to decide if it's worth investing in a cheer package for me and/or kids since it's DHs first marathon and I want to see him cross the finish line. 3 kids might slow me down from running around to see him, as much as I might like to!

For character stops during the race are there picture/photo people or is it strictly our own personal cameras???

Thank you! Trying to decide if it's worth investing in a cheer package for me and/or kids since it's DHs first marathon and I want to see him cross the finish line. 3 kids might slow me down from running around to see him, as much as I might like to!

I have to tell you, the highlight of my first marathon was seeing my wife and children cheering me on at a couple of places on the course. It wasn't Disney, so it was easier for my wife to accomplish, but it lifted my heart every time that I saw them.

I have to tell you, the highlight of my first marathon was seeing my wife and children cheering me on at a couple of places on the course. It wasn't Disney, so it was easier for my wife to accomplish, but it lifted my heart every time that I saw them.

That is an energy boost! I saw my family in Epcot at the finishing of the full and it was a delight.

I don't normally see family or friends cheering me on because they are usually in the race with me.

So having your wife and kids cheering you on in different sections must have been a delight and surprise to you and also fun for the kids...to keep seeing you run by! Only each time they saw you..you already added a few more miles.

Has anyone here gotten "swept"

Yep, twice in fact as far as Disney races go. Once in this race weekend and once at Princess.

The 2012 Marathon edition I've mentioned on a couple of occasions. I managed to keep ahead of the pacers until around mile 15/16 and then I got passed by them and couldn't repass them (blame the three weeks missed training messing with my running). So on to the bus I went. Took my name, bib number, asked if I needed anything, and anything to drink and then settled in for the ride.

We rode behind the pacers for another half mile I think or so until the next medical aid station (I hopped on before the aid station). And then turned off and headed back to Epcot. They dropped us off at one of the medical aid stations gave us a medal and were basically dismissed from there if you weren't in need of medical assistance.

The Princess was mostly the same experience. Except we trailed behind the pacers until the bus was completely loaded before turning off. Still got our medals. Still got asked if we wanted something to drink on the bus. And got a medal once we unloaded (but no Coast to Coast which is why I had to come out primarily if you DNF they cut the band and have to return to try again). In fact we were on nicer buses for Princess. We were on the buses you see running around the resort for the Marathon in 2012. For Princess 2013 we had a coach bus for sweeping. Not sure why they changed but not complaining!

Anyways its not the worlds worst experience though no one wants to get swept.

That is an energy boost! I saw my family in Epcot at the finishing of the full and it was a delight.

I don't normally see family or friends cheering me on because they are usually in the race with me.

So having your wife and kids cheering you on in different sections must have been a delight and surprise to you and also fun for the kids...to keep seeing you run by! Only each time they saw you..you already added a few more miles.

Thanks, I think we can get to Magic Kingdom and Epcot easily since we plan to stay at the Contemporary, but still having at least one in a stroller, probably two sometimes it could be tricky getting on and off the buses for the other parks. However, our oldest is incredibly helpful so we'll see. We might aim to see him in MK and then go back to the hotel for a wee bit before staking out a spot at Epcot. I'm not sure I want to pay $120x3 (assuming my 1 year old would be free?) but maybe the Gold package. I wonder if I could run over to DAK to catch him there and then head back to grab the kids and head to Epcot? Seeing him cross the finish line is my biggest priority though.

Seeing him cross the finish line is my biggest priority though.

Try to be sure to know the set up of the finish line, and make sure he knows it too. While I'm not a person that needs anyone there for me, and in fact I told hubby and son that I would far prefer they have FUN at the TOT party rather than try to see me. But they weren't having all that much fun and decided to go to the finish line. But I didn't know anything about the finish, and just happened to end up with my shrimpy self sandwiched between two taller runners and we were all over on the side opposite the stands where DH and DS were. They didn't see me, I didn't see them. I didn't even know they were there (though just in case I was looking around).

Once the runner tracking system let them know that I had finished, they kept looking while leaving the area and went to the meetup spot we had agreed upon before.

Like I said, having them see me isn't important to me, and I get really tunnel-visioned anyway....but since it is important to you, make SURE that both of you know the setup at the end, and what side it's better for him to be on.

Ok all you runners out there. I am looking for a suggestion for a lightweight rain jacket for running. I need a new one and with living in the beautiful Seattle area, it is a necessity

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter