Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Hi, neighbor!

And speaking of character stops, how many of you pause your watches/running apps while waiting to get your photo taken or when you hop on a ride? Part of me wants to pause Nike+ if I stop to do something fun on the course so I can see jut how much time I actually spent running for real, but part of me also thinks that may be "cheating."

I don't make character stops, but not cheating at all. Your race allowed to be what you want it to be. :)

At only 52% full, I caved and registered for the full marathon race retreat. I purchased race retreat for the PHM, and thought I wouldn't need it for the WDW full, but then started considering logistics. I'm using the following excuses/logic:

1) It's my first full marathon.
2) Temperature control. I get cold easily and with my recent IT band issues, cold is very, very bad.
3) I like to arrive very early. See the part about temperature control, above.
4) I love bacon.

Anyone else?

Followed your trip report, and there is no question that a redo is in order!!!

I am paying for the race retreat as soon as cash flow loosens up enough here to pay for it. Thankfully the retreat isn't going to fast (was a bit of a concern when it hit 50%). But yeah I'll be seeing you in the tent too.

We're also forking the cash over for the Chear Squad Platinum. We paid for it when we did the 2012 race and my Mom still raves about it. So we are going to pay for it again.

Hi, neighbor! And speaking of character stops, how many of you pause your watches/running apps while waiting to get your photo taken or when you hop on a ride? Part of me wants to pause Nike+ if I stop to do something fun on the course so I can see jut how much time I actually spent running for real, but part of me also thinks that may be "cheating."
I don't think it's cheating, but I turned off the "auto pause" feature on my garmin and chose not to pause during photo and bathroom stops, but it was also my first and I wanted to know my clock pace. When plugged in, my garmin says average pace and average moving pace so I can sort of tell what my "actual running" time was even with the stops added in :)

Hi, neighbor! And speaking of character stops, how many of you pause your watches/running apps while waiting to get your photo taken or when you hop on a ride? Part of me wants to pause Nike+ if I stop to do something fun on the course so I can see jut how much time I actually spent running for real, but part of me also thinks that may be "cheating."

It's not cheating, but it does carry some risk if you're at all worried about getting swept. Your watch will be reading a faster pace than your actual time on the course, which could mean you're closer to 16 min/mile than you think.

At only 52% full, I caved and registered for the full marathon race retreat. I purchased race retreat for the PHM, and thought I wouldn't need it for the WDW full, but then started considering logistics. I'm using the following excuses/logic:

1) It's my first full marathon.
2) Temperature control. I get cold easily and with my recent IT band issues, cold is very, very bad.
3) I like to arrive very early. See the part about temperature control, above.
4) I love bacon.

Anyone else?

Followed your trip report, and there is no question that a redo is in order!!!

Thanks. :)

As time goes on I feel more and more positive about the Race Retreat I did for the Half. I'm not sure that it was toasty or anything, but not being in the elements AND having access to coffee and evil chocolate muffins (and gross scrambled eggs that I ate despite them being Disney scrambled eggs) made ALL the difference. It's really a great idea, especially if you have anything "tricky" about your system. Your IT band, your issues being cold...my issues getting cold and NEEDING real food ASAP...tricky!

It's not cheating, but it does carry some risk if you're at all worried about getting swept. Your watch will be reading a faster pace than your actual time on the course, which could mean you're closer to 16 min/mile than you think.

:thumbsup2

It can also mess with your head. Er, well, it messed with MY head. I can't do math at all when I'm running (I mean seriously, at all, though I continue to work on that!) and apparently I can't even tell time when running. The simplest of numbers are challenging.

And I was sick for the WDW Half. So it was even worse. I would have sworn that the clock at the end showed the same info as was on my Garmin. Garmin showed a slow slow 3:10. My brother was checking the results site and said "I see you got through it", and that felt a little rude but I brushed it off. And then a few days later I saw it was 3:20ish. That nearly killed my wittle emotions.

And it was because I auto-paused for bathrooms and shoe re-tying. No characters; can you imagine with that time if I'd stopped for any lines? :blush:

So as long as you keep in mind that the time on your watch does NOT match your running time...go ahead and pause it.

OK now I want to get two watches. One I can put on autopause and one without. :)

If I am doing Dopey, can I only sign up for the marathon race retreat? I don't have to do both days do I?

I did it for the full marathon last year, and it had its perks, but I still don't think it was worth $110. However, I think being able to relax a little and have shorter bathroom lines for the full again will calm my nerves a bit. I also really needed the food after, but I should be fine for the half. I can't justify $225 for both days :scared:

If I am doing Dopey, can I only sign up for the marathon race retreat? I don't have to do both days do I?

I did it for the full marathon last year, and it had its perks, but I still don't think it was worth $110. However, I think being able to relax a little and have shorter bathroom lines for the full again will calm my nerves a bit. I also really needed the food after, but I should be fine for the half. I can't justify $225 for both days :scared:

Looks like you can register for just the marathon retreat.

I usually only register for the race retreat on marathon day. Once I have finished the half I just want to get back to the resort and relax.

And speaking of character stops, how many of you pause your watches/running apps while waiting to get your photo taken or when you hop on a ride?
I don't because...

It can also mess with your head. Er, well, it messed with MY head. I can't do math at all when I'm running (I mean seriously, at all, though I continue to work on that!) and apparently I can't even tell time when running. The simplest of numbers are challenging.
Yep, ditto! :rotfl: I want my device to tell me exactly how much time has passed - bad enough that the distance won't be right (since no matter how much you actually cover, your pace is based on the race distance - which changes your pace), I need at least the time to be correct!

Now, I do run with both iSmoothRun and my Garmin going, so I suppose I could have one pausing, but that's way too much confusion for my race brain. ;)

Thanks for chiming in, everybody. I think I'll stick with my plan to keep Nike+ going on my iPhone during the race (and that means I'll be looking at battery pack cases soon). I think I'll be finishing around the five hour mark, so I'm going to save my photo stops for maybe two or three essentials (not that I'm big on character photos anyway): Cinderella Castle, anyone from The Lion King, and Wreck-it-Ralph (if they're going to have him out again). But above all, saving time Expedition Everest trumps all photos. Riding a roller coaster in the middle of a race is too awesome for me to pass up. I assume they just let the marathoners jump onto the ride with no waiting?

Thanks for chiming in, everybody. I think I'll stick with my plan to keep Nike+ going on my iPhone during the race (and that means I'll be looking at battery pack cases soon). I think I'll be finishing around the five hour mark, so I'm going to save my photo stops for maybe two or three essentials (not that I'm big on character photos anyway): Cinderella Castle, anyone from The Lion King, and Wreck-it-Ralph (if they're going to have him out again). But above all, saving time Expedition Everest trumps all photos. Riding a roller coaster in the middle of a race is too awesome for me to pass up. I assume they just let the marathoners jump onto the ride with no waiting?

Generally, yes, they bring the runners up to the front. You need to time your race well to be able to ride it, though. The coaster is right around the halfway point of the race, so your first half needs to be 2:30 or longer depending on what corral you start in.

Generally, yes, they bring the runners up to the front. You need to time your race well to be able to ride it, though. The coaster is right around the halfway point of the race, so your first half needs to be 2:30 or longer depending on what corral you start in.

This year, I think I got to AK right at opening. There were only runners on the Everest line and it went very quickly. However, I am not going to do it again this year. I started to feel a little sick leaving AK, and even though it could have been a number of things, I don't want to take a chance on the coaster being the cause.

I wish that Everest was the reward after the looong, boring, hot part of the course instead of the climax right before it! :crazy2:

This year, I think I got to AK right at opening. There were only runners on the Everest line and it went very quickly. However, I am not going to do it again this year. I started to feel a little sick leaving AK, and even though it could have been a number of things, I don't want to take a chance on the coaster being the cause.

I wish that Everest was the reward after the looong, boring, hot part of the course instead of the climax right before it! :crazy2:
This is what I would be afraid of. At the almost-halfway point I don't think sitting down for that long would agree with me, and I KNOW the backwards part of Everest would not agree with me! :faint:

via runDisney: The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will be a #WDWMarathon course attraction in 2015!

So, does that mean what I think it means? They will have the coaster open for runners? Because MK is so early in the course, the park isn't even open yet for any of the runners is it? If it is going to be open that would be cool, but I think the line would be crazy for it.

So, does that mean what I think it means? They will have the coaster open for runners? Because MK is so early in the course, the park isn't even open yet for any of the runners is it? If it is going to be open that would be cool, but I think the line would be crazy for it.
I thought the same thing. Maybe if more people ride that then I will have shorter lines to wait in for the MK characters!!! :teeth: (Probably not though.)

i bet they will have the mine train open for runners. and i will definitely ride!

i got to AK in january before park opening. maybe 10 minutes before. and they already had EE running. i was able to get on with no problems (except the ride got stuck for about 2 minutes at the top!). i'm sure it was before opening because i saw my husband and kids outside of the park at the entrance right at 9! :dance3:

I would think this would be for runners only. I was in corral H last year and was in that part of MK before 7am. Even those in corral P would probably be into MK well before 8am. I could see them opening that one ride for all the runners if they wanted to partake.

This is what I would be afraid of. At the almost-halfway point I don't think sitting down for that long would agree with me, and I KNOW the backwards part of Everest would not agree with me! :faint:

...this is a very good point. I'm an idiot who's letting her off-the-wall excitement get in the way of research. (But better now than January 11th, I guess.) I was unaware that EE ran backwards; AK did not exist when I went as a kid and in '09 we skipped it because of rain and a lack of enthusiasm. And if I sit down, I probably won't want to get back up. So, um, yeah...I think I'll play it safe and just keep running. :scared:

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter