Official 2014 Dopey Challenge Thread!

I trained w/his Jax running group for my first marathon and 2010/2011 Goofy challenges. Didn't want it to seem I didn't like Galloway. I truly do love his running program just know he wasn't a fan of the Disney challenges. I completely agree with your training perspective. I'm not planning to do anything different to add in the 5 & 10k. I would normally have a 5 mile shake out run the Friday before the Goofy anyways.

Pretty sure you're leaning towards having a Dopey medal around your neck in January.

I'm curious how many Dopey Challengers will party in the parks with all 6 medals. You could hear those wearing the 3 from the Goofy Challenge from miles away in prior years!

I completely agree the cost is absurd. If I was practical, I wouldn't sign up for the Dopey in January. But I'm a crazy runner girl and need my Dopey medal. I'll also have to travel without my family the first few days so the RW challenge where I can meet other runners ahead of time really has its perks.

Also saw someone mention the weather in 2010. It was brutal. Iced over waters stops were so sketchy.

The weather totally sucked in 2010.

I bet you could meet some peeps between here and a few of the FB pages out there without having to spend the xtra $500 on the RW package..

That extra $500 could buy a whole second registration so you could bring a friend!!

Any word on whether the marathon course will return to its previous version? Because this year's course was truly DOPEY, and not in a good way.

In Jan. I made reservations at FW for 2014 and thought I had to add the extra Wed. for the 5K on Thursday but when I checked our confirmation paper I had Wed. already booked. Must have had a premonition that Disney was up to something.

Any word on whether the marathon course will return to its previous version? Because this year's course was truly DOPEY, and not in a good way.

I liked the course and hope they keep it so I can grab another McFlurry.

This past January was my third unofficial Dopey in a row so DW made a special Dopey medallion for me that I carried over the finish line with cameras clicking. Met an older gentleman, I'm 62, with a Perfectly Goofy Medal in DTD and proudly showed him DW's embroidery. Mentioned that I should send a photo to Disney and that it would be nice if Disney recognized the Dopey. He thought it would be nice but unlikely. Guess I got my wish.

I enjoyed the speedway much more than I thought I would - that was actually my fastest mile of the marathon. After surviving the 2012 ToT 10-miler death march and the 2013 marathon, the only running I want to do in WWOS ever again is the first half-mile of the Wine & Dine!

I'm seeing "running travel" companies claim you can book w/them before 4/2 and secure your spot with the Dopey. How is this possible? Why does Disney allow this?

I second that vote. Go back to the previous course. Didn't like that it was still dark when I got to the MK.

I totally agree! We could even have a dopey meet up! $500.00 is alot of money for the expo:)

Totally agree. I guess I shouldn't say it's only meet people. I really need to learn how to train properly and master my Garmin. I have a marathon in Nov we're I'd like to blow away my 26.2 PR and figure I can use the RW training program here. Plus, I sadly must admit that I am finally learning all the really neat features of my Garmin 405. Took me too long.

I'm seeing "running travel" companies claim you can book w/them before 4/2 and secure your spot with the Dopey. How is this possible? Why does Disney allow this?

Travel companies guarantee a certain number of spots and certain number of rooms with runDisney well before the event goes on sale. Once the company has paid runDisney (when they sign the contract) they are free to sell them whenever they choose.

I second that vote. Go back to the previous course. Didn't like that it was still dark when I got to the MK.

Love MK in the dark. So much nicer than when the sun is up. That is what I used to like about he half is that you'd run through MK in the dark. It's all lit up, just gorgeous.

But I have to admit the running through EPCOT at the start of he full was nice.
Duane

Love MK in the dark. So much nicer than when the sun is up. That is what I used to like about he half is that you'd run through MK in the dark. It's all lit up, just gorgeous.

But I have to admit the running through EPCOT at the start of he full was nice.
Duane

I think I would like running thru MK with it's lights on.. main st, the castle, tomorrowland especially.. Hopefully I make it there fast enough for it to still be dark lol

I did the unofficial Dopey in 2012 and did Goofy in 2013. After my disastrous Full during this year's Goofy, I said NEVER AGAIN! Therefore, I signed up for Wine & Dine in November instead of going back in January. Today, I discovered the Dopey Challenge. "@#$%^&"

So, holding true to my word, "I'm in. See you all at Dopey in January!"

Bob

I'll take the 2010 weather over the 2013 weather any time. I much prefer running in cold than heat.

I didn't run in 2010, but the heat this year was awful. I'm not great in the heat in the first place, so it was just.. not pleasant.

I'm not planning on doing the 2014 Dopey- I'm not in that good of shape- but my mother and I are planning on trying to go Dopey in 2015. Just trying the marathon again in 2014.

I'll take the 2010 weather over the 2013 weather any time. I much prefer running in cold than heat.

I agree. I thought that 2010 was the worst weather ever, until 2013. A couple hours shivering while waiting for the start is much better than several hours of running in sweltering heat on hot asphalt. I just didn't know it until now.

The 2013 Disney marathon was my first marathon and reading these boards the days before the marathon had me a bit stressed out worrying about how hot it would be and how well I would deal with it.Luckily for me I live in Miami and I was more than fine the whole way,up until maybe 11am I thought it was actually pretty cool,then it was just slightly warm,at least for me who's used to 90 degrees or more for like 7 months of the year.Running it in 30 degrees like it was in 2010 would be fine with me as I do like the cold weather,but I wouldn't enjoy anything from the time I get up to getting to the corrals,after starting to run and have the temps gradually go up a bit after the sun will surely make the race easier.Hopefully the 2014 marathon will have a starting temp of 50 degrees going up to 65,that's perfect.

The temp wasn't the problem in 2010. I love cold weather running. It was the iced over streets and freezing rain. If memory serves it was in the 20s at the start of the half. I think the half was the only race where I continued wearing my tossawsy clothes at the finish. I don't have a single race photo bc my # was never displayed.

Trying to remember if it was 08 or 09 that had crazy hot temps as well. They stopped passing out chocolate at HS bc it was just a mess.

The half was definitely the worst day of the two. It was warmer (34 for half, 27 for full), but the sleet & freezing rain made it feel much colder & more miserable. At least on Sunday it was clear and sunny. Even living in the Middle East and training in the heat, I'd still take the cold. I'm even willing to chip in to make sure Charles stays away from OKW in 2015.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter