Official 2014 Dopey Challenge Thread!

I am so excited for this race. But I am starting my training now! LOL

I did Goofy this year, and it was super hard. I was pretty slow.

I am starting a triathalon clinic to ensure I have enough cross-training and to improve my overall fitness and strength. I have a race every month (sometimes two) of distances from 5k to HM from now until the fall. I want to work on speed and continue my work on endurance. I have HM #5 coming up in June, and #6 in September with the DDD. It has been suggested to me that I run a marathon in the fall as part of my training (training? :rotfl:)

The money is huge and I don't even think I have someone to go with! But alas, I want to challenge myself and I want that bling!!!

I just hope this sticks around for 2015 because I am so in for the challenge...I just can't in 2014 due to other commitments

Am seriously tempted by the Dopey. Was originally planning on the 5k, 10k and full. In my head I'm thinking "just one more race and I'll get the Goofy and Dopey medals as well'. But I know it won't be that easy. Not sure how I would pull up after the half for the full. I might just sign up anyway, follow the Goofy training plan and do a half and full at home before going to WDW. If I think it's too much by Jan, I can always skip the 1/2. Although I'm sure that will be a hard decision. The last thing I want to do is miss or not finish the full marathon because I bit off more than I can chew.

I think I'd also need to find a running buddy to keep me going.

Needing advice...realistic, feet on the ground advice.

I'm doing Dumbo in Sept. - the 10K and the 1/2. I'm very comfortable at the half distance - projected to run approx 11-13 of them this year total. I'm a rather slow runner...2:49 for my most recent half. Have completed 4 so far this year (half). I am over 50...yes, I know, it's just a number, but believe me, there are aches and pains when you're "at this age" that you really do have to take into consideration.

Can I realistically attempt this Dopey?

I get scared, then I think I can do it, then I get excited...and then back to scared again.

If you can run halfs comfortably, you can do this I think. I am overweight and slow and I did goofy. I took the half very, very easy with the goal of finishing without pain or stiffness. I would do the same with 5k and the 10k and be almost religious about following a plan for preparation and recovery each day. I worked really hard after the half to take the recovery seriously from nutrition to hydration to electrolytes and protein.

Needing advice...realistic, feet on the ground advice.

I'm doing Dumbo in Sept. - the 10K and the 1/2. I'm very comfortable at the half distance - projected to run approx 11-13 of them this year total. I'm a rather slow runner...2:49 for my most recent half. Have completed 4 so far this year (half). I am over 50...yes, I know, it's just a number, but believe me, there are aches and pains when you're "at this age" that you really do have to take into consideration.

Can I realistically attempt this Dopey?

I get scared, then I think I can do it, then I get excited...and then back to scared again.

I am 52 years old and have only been running since 2011. My first Half was Disney Half in January 2012. In January 2013, I did the unofficial Dopey at WDW Marathon Weekend. I believe that it is just a matter of training to be successful. If you have completed multiple Halfs, then you are already comfortable with the training required. You shouldn't have a problem running the Dumbo.

To give yourself some confidence, I would suggest adding several 'doubles' during your trainings -- meaning planning to run on both a Saturday and Sunday. What I did when training for the Dopey was to take whatever my Long Run distance was going to be and running half that distance the day before (I do my Long Runs on Sunday). What you are learning from this is how it feels to run on tired legs. You only have to do this 2-3 times so I would suggest doing these in July, when your Long Runs will be in the 6-10 mile range. That gives you plenty of time to enjoy your Taper in August.

RunRookie said:
I am 52 years old and have only been running since 2011. My first Half was Disney Half in January 2012. In January 2013, I did the unofficial Dopey at WDW Marathon Weekend. I believe that it is just a matter of training to be successful. If you have completed multiple Halfs, then you are already comfortable with the training required. You shouldn't have a problem running the Dumbo.

To give yourself some confidence, I would suggest adding several 'doubles' during your trainings -- meaning planning to run on both a Saturday and Sunday. What I did when training for the Dopey was to take whatever my Long Run distance was going to be and running half that distance the day before (I do my Long Runs on Sunday). What you are learning from this is how it feels to run on tired legs. You only have to do this 2-3 times so I would suggest doing these in July, when your Long Runs will be in the 6-10 mile range. That gives you plenty of time to enjoy your Taper in August.

My first half was in jan 2012 as well. Good advice for preparing for the Dumbo. That will help a lot. :)

Now, how and when will I know if I'm ready to attempt the DOPEY? Is this realistic to attempt this now for 2014 - even given how comfortable I am with halfs, I'm still not speedy with them. And, no matter how you slice it, it's still a lot of miles back to back for four days. Realistically, who is best suited to attempt this? Those that run marathons regularly? Those of us who haven't, should we really even be entertaining the thought?

I really think there are a lot of us going through this now in our minds.

My first half was in jan 2012 as well. Good advice for preparing for the Dumbo. That will help a lot. :)

Now, how and when will I know if I'm ready to attempt the DOPEY? Is this realistic to attempt this now for 2014 - even given how comfortable I am with halfs, I'm still not speedy with them. And, no matter how you slice it, it's still a lot of miles back to back for four days. Realistically, who is best suited to attempt this? Those that run marathons regularly? Those of us who haven't, should we really even be entertaining the thought?

I really think there are a lot of us going through this now in our minds.

I don't know if anyone can tell another if they are 'ready'. One has to make that decision for themselves.

After I ran the 5K and Half at the 2012 Marathon Weekend, I watched many fellow WISHers complete their Goofy on Sunday. I was inspired by their efforts and thought that I could meet this challenge. Now mind you, this was my first Half Marathon so what did I know!

Over the course of 2012, I did my training runs. I ran over 10 Halfs. I also decided to train for and run my first Full Marathon (the Chicago Marathon) in October so that I would have the experience of a Full prior to running the Goofy. And then in 2013, I ran the 5K, Half, and Full and earned the Goofy medal.

I found a local running club that offered a marathon training program which I followed in preparation for the Chicago Marathon. Then I took the Goofy training program from Jeff Galloway and modified it a bit to get me from November through December.

Again, I think the main thing is to prepare for the race with solid, consistent run training, core workouts, etc. Goofy is as much a mental thing as it is a physical thing. If you have done the training, then like for any race, you have to trust that your training will get you through. The Full was brutal during the 2013 Goofy because of the high temp and humidity. But I finished that race because of my training, support from the WISH community and my WISH Team, and a bit of Disney magic. :)

I am amazed at how fast these events sell out.

I thoght about doing the DL half/marathon its in August IIRC looked if late Jan and it was sold out.

The price seems high as I paid $70 for a half and I think the marathon was $95.

You're ready when you're mentally ready. Running marathons is far more of a mental challenge the first time around than it is a physical one. You need to have your mind set and made up that you can do it. The physical part is easy. Not effortless easy, but easy in the sense that you can easily get a training plan to prepare you for the race if you follow it properly. The mental part is all on the individual. Only you can decide to go for it and tough it out until the end.

Building on FFigawi's comment....

Henry Ford would have made a great marathoner. Paraphrasing his thoughts, If you think you can run Dopey or think you can't run Dopey, you're right.

Obviously, this is predicated on doing the work between now and then. I think that if one simply trained hard for a marathon that this is a very doable event. The secret in my mind is to treat each run over the weekend as a training run. Do not head out much slower than a training run to avoid staying on on your feet too long and obviously, do not push through to a full race pace.

In the first couple years of Goofy, I counseled not running a first marathon as part of Goofy. From a mental perspective, I could hardly see how a first time runner would know how to deal with the demons on the back side of the full. What I failed to realize is that if we talk about this as a coaching talk, and a new runner starts to look for and create their toolset in training, then this is not any more difficult than running a half or a full. (AGAIN predicated on the runner following a full marathon training program).

Honestly, for a person who has trained well the hardest part of running a Dopey will be two things, budgeting a room for an additional night or two and getting up between 0200 and 0300 for 4 mornings.

From a weather perspective, I currently hold reservations at OKW but will move them to BWV in early June.... this means the weather will be normal

Henry Ford would have made a great marathoner. Paraphrasing his thoughts, If you think you can run Dopey or think you can't run Dopey, you're right.

Love this! Going to use it as a running mantra.

So excited to have found this thread. Never realized Disboards had running boards. Just stumbled upon your thread this morning while planning for our Disney cruise next month.

Love the positivity on this thread and am excited to get chatting with you (if you'll have me). I'm TK and an avid Disney runner. I ran the Goofy Challenge in 2010 & 2011. I delivered my beautiful daughter on 1/7/12 in lieu of running the 2012 Goofy challenge. Crazy timing b/c she was due 12/25 but was 2 weeks late. Best medal evah! I planned a comeback for 2013 but my dissertation and darling daughter left no time to train. I drove down from Jax to cheer on my friends running the Goofy and caught the Disney running bug again! I just convinced my DH to let me train for Goofy 2014 when Disney announced the Dopey. Yup, I'm in!!!! I have to have the Dopey medal... I just have to! B/c I'm still trying to find my running mojo and don't want to miss out on registering (worried about a sell out), I'm going to sign up for the Runner's World challenge.

Heading out for a little speedwork this morning. Wishing you a beautiful day!

I would think that anyone that could complete the Goofy would be able to complete this. The 5K really wont add that much stress, I normally run 3-4 miles the day before a marathon just to keep myself from losing my mind. The only trick is that you dont really get a break, so I would make sure in training to replicate a 4 day distance build a few times so that you learn what recovery tricks (chocolate milk, ice bath, hot bath, stretch/dont stretch) work for you. Also make sure you learn what paces you need to hold.

You're ready when you're mentally ready. Running marathons is far more of a mental challenge the first time around than it is a physical one. You need to have your mind set and made up that you can do it. The physical part is easy. Not effortless easy, but easy in the sense that you can easily get a training plan to prepare you for the race if you follow it properly. The mental part is all on the individual. Only you can decide to go for it and tough it out until the end.

John, is the Dopey going to get you to come back over again this year and run?

I would think that anyone that could complete the Goofy would be able to complete this. The 5K really wont add that much stress, I normally run 3-4 miles the day before a marathon just to keep myself from losing my mind. The only trick is that you dont really get a break, so I would make sure in training to replicate a 4 day distance build a few times so that you learn what recovery tricks (chocolate milk, ice bath, hot bath, stretch/dont stretch) work for you. Also make sure you learn what paces you need to hold.

I think you will just see many dopey 'runners' not really running too hard at the 5k or 10k.. I guess the 10k is timed (the blog says it is, the rd event page doesnt list timed so still not 100% sure, but seems to make sense to time it) But even so they dont close down roads (probably) for the 10k so I dont know if they will enforce the 16mm pace or not? And as you say, probably thursday most 1/2 and full people would do SOME sort of run of a few miles so you just have to get up early to do it :)

Having Dumbo sell out before I could get to a computer to sign up, has me really paranoid about this race. Any guesses as to how fast it'll sell out? I am guessing the 10K will sell out pretty fast. Shorter distance, Minnie Medal, seems like something that will attract a lot of people.

I started pulling together a training plan today. Jeff Galloway's "to improve" marathon plan worked pretty well for me for the 2013 marathon, although I did usually add an extra weekday run. The long runs in his Goofy plan look more like his "to finish" marathon plan, though...

The long runs in his Goofy plan look more like his "to finish" marathon plan, though...

Jeff Galloway was pretty anti-Goofy when I went to him in Summer 2009 for a training plan. He later became the official Disney running coach so I think he had to create a plan. His philosophy is injury-free which is why he couldn't understand why I wanted to run the Goofy. Curious how he is viewing the Dopey.

So I have always had a curiosity about running a marathon. I think the Dopey Challenge is exactly what I need to push me. I am so excited and telling anyone who will listen that I am signing up.

Let the training begin!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter