Office Etiquette: Coffee Mugs?

We have a large cabinet with all kinds off glasses, plates, cutlery and mugs for everyone to use. We have two dishwashers and they run at least once a day.
On average maybe 30-40 people at the office a day.

I would bring my own mug and keep it at my desk. I don't want anyone using my mug and I wouldn't feel comfortable using someone else's. I dealt with thieves at my previous job (not only food, but cups as well) so I'm a little more cautious with stuff I would bring to work. Thankfully I WFH now so I don't have to deal with it.

Yeah I keep MY mug and water bottle with me. It's probably a (weird) hygiene thing . My kids are the same way. Not sure where they picked up the habit! 😬

I bring my own mug. Which has been up on a shelf in my office, because I typically buy coffee here. When I get my own mini coffee maker, I'll mug again.

Community mugs = community bugs. And we have a guy in our area that uses the rest room without ever washing his hands (the restroom is in one area, the sinks are in another, so we know who does and who doesn't).
In the cafeteria and food court, you're even supposed to get a whole new cup if you purchase a refill.

Disclaimer: I don't drink coffee so this doesn't really affect me, but I've noticed at a few places I've worked there's different expectations regarding coffee mugs. I was just curious in case I ever decide to start drinking coffee, lol

So if you're new to a place, do you assume coffee mugs in the cabinet are free for anyone to use, or owned by certain people only, or do you not assume and ask someone first?
BYOM.

Employees using a mug that is clearly not designated for them are subject to review and possible suspension/termination. (i.e. a 22 year old intern using a "World's Greatest Grandpa" mug)

That would grounds for a promotion and an extra large year end bonus in my office. I'm looking for people who can be the next Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. Not someone who blends in and goes with the flow.

Disclaimer: I don't drink coffee so this doesn't really affect me, but I've noticed at a few places I've worked there's different expectations regarding coffee mugs. I was just curious in case I ever decide to start drinking coffee, lol

So if you're new to a place, do you assume coffee mugs in the cabinet are free for anyone to use, or owned by certain people only, or do you not assume and ask someone first?
When in doubt, you should definitely ask.
That said, I would bring my own mug and use only my own (and I wouldn't leave it in a cabinet where other people might possibly touch it).

Our company provided disposable cups, or people brought their own and kept them at their desk. We didn’t have cabinets in the break room for storing dishes. The few cabinets in there stored supplies of coffee, creamer and sugar, and were kept under lock and key (with a small amount placed out for use each day). We had a pretty nice setup, with a machine that ground the coffee fresh for each cup, and there were several kinds to choose from. It also dispensed hot cocoa and hot water, and there was a selection of teabags. I am a tea drinker, so I took my own mug (one of the glass Disney ones with my name engraved) and my own teabags.

That would grounds for a promotion and an extra large year end bonus in my office. I'm looking for people who can be the next Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. Not someone who blends in and goes with the flow.
I understand your thinking, but do you really want an employee that has no filter?

Cups in the cupboard are fair game everywhere I worked. Although usually we had single use paper or foam cups available too. I always had my own cup, and it was always kept in my desk.

I would bring my own mug and keep it at my desk. Even if there are some extra mugs in the cupboard, you have no idea if someone else ever cleaned it before putting it back. You would be amazed at lack of cleanliness exhibited by some where I work. They never wash anything and just rinse out mugs before reusing. I have NEVER put anything in the communal refrigerator in the break area for the same reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter