Office Etiquette: Coffee Mugs?

ChrisFL

Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
Disclaimer: I don't drink coffee so this doesn't really affect me, but I've noticed at a few places I've worked there's different expectations regarding coffee mugs. I was just curious in case I ever decide to start drinking coffee, lol

So if you're new to a place, do you assume coffee mugs in the cabinet are free for anyone to use, or owned by certain people only, or do you not assume and ask someone first?

Disclaimer: I don't drink coffee so this doesn't really affect me, but I've noticed at a few places I've worked there's different expectations regarding coffee mugs. I was just curious in case I ever decide to start drinking coffee, lol

So if you're new to a place, do you assume coffee mugs in the cabinet are free for anyone to use, or owned by certain people only, or do you not assume and ask someone first?

I would bring my own mug.

No communal cups; my employer gives everyone a logo mug on their first day of work. We do not have coffee in every dept, except that there is free coffee once a week at a networking coffee break, otherwise, if your dept. doesn't go in on a coffeemaker, you can buy it at the Starbucks that we have in the building.

I wouldn’t assume about any of it - I would bring my own and always keep it at my desk.

I think I'm seeing an opportunity for a NEW RULE!!!:banana:

Coffee mugs stored with the handle to the left are for personal use only.
Mugs stored with the handle to the right are open for use by anyone.

Mugs with no handle are not permitted after Labor Day.

Employees using a mug that is clearly not designated for them are subject to review and possible suspension/termination. (i.e. a 22 year old intern using a "World's Greatest Grandpa" mug)

If the coffee mugs in the cupboard are all matching, I’d assume they were for anyone. If the mugs are all different, I would ask if they belong to individuals before helping myself.
Good thought!

If they were not matching, I would probably bring in one I like but am not sentimental about.
That's good, but what if someone else uses your mug?
Then I would know they are all fair game.

My company is big on not using disposable products except for client meetings. So, our big kitchen/commons area has cupboards with mugs (some with company logo, some random ones), plates, glasses, silverware, bowls, etc. Also 2 dishwashers because no one wants to do those dishes lol. Anyway, I assume any of the mugs there are for the gen pop, but I keep my own Disney (of course) mug at my desk and just hand wash it. Occasionally I'll use a mug from the cupboard and gravitate toward a logo one just in case the others belong to certain people. However, my guess is those are ones people have brought in when cleaning out cupboards at home and decided they no longer needed the Grand Canyon mug Uncle Bruce brought back as a souvenir.

Yeah, I think cabinet mugs are for anyone to use, and someone who has a specific mug would keep it at their desk.

And by the way, pumpkin spice returned earlier this week. 🎃
I'm just waiting for the salty stuffing!!

We have both in our office....a cupboard with some generic branded mugs various salesmen have brought in over the years, and a few folks have brought in their own coffee mugs. We also have disposable ones. We have a Kerig that my husband connected to the water line so it never has to be refilled, and supply the kitchen with all types of coffees, teas & hot chocolate for everyone.

I would bring my own just like I always had my own water glass.

During the day I would use it at my desk, never leaving my possession. At the end of the day I would wash it, dry it and place it in a bag in my desk. Start all over day next day.

I would not be using any reusable glasses at work, only disposable or my own.

It obviously depends on the office. Around ours, most everyone has their own coffee mugs, but there is a collection of mugs that are kept clean (I think :upsidedow) near the office Keurig that is generally meant for guests that you're offering coffee to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter