October/November trip? Tips welcome for doing as inexpensively as possible!

Microcell

DIS Veteran
I think we are going to shoot for being at Disney over my husband’s birthday. That, unfortunately is Halloween. It is a Sunday in 2021. Otherwise we are flexible on dates. We can go midweek to mid week or Sat to Sat. I want to do it as inexpensively as possible so gimme your best tips! We will be 4 adults and probably should upgrade hotels from our beloved Values. Thanks ahead for any help!

- Avoid Friday and Saturday night stays, they cost more
- If you plan to do the Halloween party, reduce your park tickets by a day and just have a pool/chill day before going to the party. Don't waste the cost of a park day that day.
- Order essentials for your room that will reduce food costs- ie. Get a case of water, grab-and-go breakfast foods, etc. via InstaCart or similar.

Other than that, I would say you have a lot of time between now and your trip. Focus on saving extra money. You will feel more comfortable spending it on a great trip if you save extra and have it before you leave. Ways to do this:
- Cut back or eliminate regular spending on things like Coffee or fast food. Put that money aside towards the trip.
- Use "rewards" programs to your advantage and get Disney Gift Cards with the points. (For example, my grocery store gives points that convert to savings off your bill. When they build up to $25, I throw a Disney GC on my order. I have over $200 in GC set aside from this.)
- Save recyclable cans (if you get money back in your area), and spare change. Many months worth could add up to enough for a Disney GC for souvenirs perhaps?
- When you are out shopping at places like Target, and can afford to, throw a Disney GC in your purchase. (If you have a Target RedCard you'll get an extra 5% off).

Food costs are always what got us--so we definitely planned on one actual meal a day and the rest snacks we brought. Even with breakfast, we'd split the meal because it was always more than enough food. We also have done park hopper for 2 days on a 5 day trip--one day of arrival we head to Disney Springs, then next day park, rest day at resort, next day at parks, and then departure day relax getting to the airport. We've even booked character meals at other resorts for non-park days so it feels as Disney as possible without paying for the full park passes. Even with park hopper returning at 2pm that might not be as fun, depends on how much you want to see.

If you want to stay in the bubble, think about renting DVC rooms instead of a hotel. Often it's cheaper per day. Or rent close. Many, many condo options that bring you very close to the world and are reasonable.
Got an extra 10 bucks? Buy gift cards and use that as your spend money. Sam's Club and BJ's Wholesale club sell them slightly discounted.
Get a Disney Visa and use it for everything. This gives you points/dollars for Disney. It also entitiles you to some discounts in the world. Mostly dining.
If you aren't booking a package, think about tickets through Undercover Tourist. Slightly discounted, legitimate tickets.
There is a forum on this page dedicated to doing Disney on a budget. Search and read posts from others on how they economise Disney.
No matter how you do it, it ain't cheap but you can prepare for it.

Staying offsite can be more economical then staying at Disney. There are various hotels as well as homes you rent which gives you more space then just staying in a hotel room. Over the years, we have done both and each has its advantages.

Last edited:
We often pack lunches to save money. If you don't have a stroller and don't want to carry it all morning, you can always rent a locker to put your cooler in.

Read up on menus ahead of time. Split a meal and addd a side. Or get a kids meal for lunch. If you get ADRs. Make sure they are for the park you are at, so you don’t spend extra money on a UBER to get to another resort. Or 1.5 hours transfering buses to get to that resort

These tips are NOT for everyone but you asked for some ideas. Here are some I have used. Get a Disney credit card that has a spend $500.00 in three months get $200.00 back. Buy gift cards with the Disney credit card. Thus you get points to turn to cash to spend at Disney and get the cash back reward after spending $500.00 in three months. Plus you get Disney cash for other purchases and charges of everyday life. (This plan will only work and save money if you pay your cards off at the end of each month.)

Or buy and pay with Disney gift cards you purchase at Target. I believe a $50.00 card for $47.50. Sam's Club has a similar deal. (Friends I exchange gifts with at birthdays and Christmas have bought me Disney cards before. They know we go frequently to WDW.)

Don't stay on a Friday or Saturday nights as rooms are more expensive. Upgrade hotels: Really depends on what you mean per upgraded. We normally stay at GF or CR in the main buildings. I traveled to WDW in May of 2019 and stayed at Pop by myself as I wanted to go to the Garden Show. Yes, there is a difference but the Pop room was almost brand new, I loved the walk around Hourglass Lake each morning, the outdoor bar area with music was great in the evening, and there was a large food court area. (I packed half the clothing etc. and did laundry one night so I had no bag fees on my flight. Laundry is right by the food court. )

I bought bottled water for the room and took one each day to refill in the parks for free. I ate an energy bar for breakfast and then ate one meal in the afternoon and then had a snack in the evening. I would not be so frugal if I was traveling with my significant other but it worked for me. (He is 6'6" and a breakfast lunch dinner type guy!! lol) Also, don't forget you can order off of the kid's menu which I do when traveling with others eating three times a day. I also received a $60.00 gift card since I did not have my room cleaned but no idea how they are doing this with Covid protocols.

This trip almost became a game to me to see how little I could do an eight day trip for in terms of $$$. :) With my free airfare using points and what I have mentioned, I spent just under $1,400 and this included three Disney Tours, High Tea at the Grand Floridian, The Epcot Garden Tour and the Behind the Scenes half day tour at MK. Like I stated: This is not for all but it worked well for me and what I wanted to do on my solo trip getting a bounce back price from our January trip. I also scheduled our Christmas trip while I was there to get the bounceback price for our stay at the CR. And I should mention I did have an annual passes. And yes, I am going through Disney withdraw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter