October 2012 - Spooky, Wild, Exotic and a lot of food!

The buses to the Boardwalk make their first stop at the Swan, so we tend to get off there and walk across the bridge back to our resort.
IMG_3617_zpsb5f6c3ee.jpg
IMG_3618_zps227a43be.jpg
IMG_3619_zps4a5d4c6b.jpg

Back in the room, I noticed that mouse-keeping had been and left us a new pile of toiletries!

IMG_3621_zpsccf5106d.jpg

Again we spent a few hours by the pool, but decided to try out the quiet pool today instead. It was a nice location but overall we quite liked the livelier atmosphere of the main pool!

IMG_3622_zps051f4b8b.jpg
IMG_3623_zpsb3892475.jpg

About 4pm we went over to the pool bar, Leaping Horse Libations, and had a beer while sitting on some rocking chairs.

IMG_3624_zps7de7d392.jpg
IMG_3625_zps8cd8225c.jpg

We went back to the room for a while and got ready for dinner – tonight we didn't have far to go as we were trying Blue Zoo at the Dolphin!

IMG_3626_zps3697dcbe.jpg
IMG_3627_zps6b30df06.jpg

I'd heard a really good review of this restaurant on the WDW Radio Show podcast, and decided that we needed to try it this trip!

IMG_3628_zps6dd8aef9.jpg

We were about an hour early for our reservation, so we checked in and then sat at the bar to have a drink. DH had a beer, and I tried a 'Smoking Sangria' – white sangria with liquid nitrogen smoke on top!

IMG_3629_zpscd454b49.jpg

As it cooled the nitrogen turned the sangria into a slushy, and then it gradually melted.

IMG_3630_zps763ecb49.jpg

After our drinks we were seated, our server was called Nick and was so attentive – he gave us great recommendations about what to order and knew every detail of the menu.

First we were a selection of freshly made breads, all were delicious but I was trying not to fill up bread!
IMG_3631_zpsbe8624aa.jpg

To start I had scallops that were some of the best I've ever eaten.

IMG_3632_zps6808d364.jpg

DH had a shrimp dish which he quite enjoyed.

For my main dish I had a Hawaiian sea bass – a waitress filleted it tableside which was impressive to watch – unfortunately another waiter bumped into her by accident and one of the fillets broke apart! It didn't matter though as it tasted excellent.

IMG_3634_zpsb7b8ba28.jpg
IMG_3635_zpscc08cda7.jpg

DH had the fish of the day which was sturgeon (I only know this fish from the Little Mermaid song 'Under the Sea'!) - he chose the lobster sauce that our server recommended, and later said that it was the best fish he had ever eaten!

I really liked the décor in the restaurant...

IMG_3637_zps6c4ce1ac.jpg
IMG_3639_zps59a759b6.jpg
IMG_3640_zps8196baa3.jpg

We were both pretty full up but couldn't say no to the dessert menu – especially as our server said the pastry chef was award-winning!

IMG_3638_zps95f20f21.jpg

I had one of my favourites, banoffee pie, and DH had vanilla rum millefueille.

IMG_3641_zps4e49f73c.jpg

Possibly the prettiest banoffee pie I've ever seen!

IMG_3642_zps5bf55a0b.jpg

Overall we loved Bluezoo, the menu was predominantly seafood but there were a lot of meat choices too. The prices are a little high but we were able to use our Tables in Wonderland card (one thing to note is that the Swan & Dolphin resorts do not accept the WDW Key to the World cards for payment, so make sure you have cash/credit cards with you!).
I liked too that nearly all of the food was sourced locally, a list of suppliers was printed on the menu.

We wandered back to the Boardwalk; back in the room we watched some of Modern Family – we love this show and are a few episodes behind in the UK!) then went to bed.

Sounds like a great opening at AK, we always do the safari first too.

Great pics of the lions!

During my stay at the BC in October, I wandered over to the Dolphin to look around and I came across Bluezoo and made a mental note to come and eat there one day, your food looked amazing :)

I am so disappointed they don't do the opening show in AK too! We saw it for the first (and last, I guess) time on our trip last year and it was so cute. I was sad to see it had disappeared this year. Standing at that rope by the tree is just so boring!

You got some really great photos on the Safari, especially of the lions!! You seemed to have had a great morning at AK. We missed the tigers this year, I was so sad! :sad1:

Your dinner sounds delicious!! Funny, I have never heard of sturgeon except from Under the Sea either. :lmao:

Hi Mel, your trip is so close now! :goodvibes We really enjoy Fantasmic but I wouldn't want to spend 60 minutes + waiting in line for it! I think nearly every other time I've seen it has been as part of the meal package, so we've had the front-of-line passes :thumbsup2
That's interesting to know about the lighters rather than smartphones/light up toys before the show starts!Emma princess: x

10 days!!! I can't believe it. I feel like my ticker has moved so fast!!! :cool1:

Looks like another very nice day for you guys. It's nice to read about a restaurant we never read about. :)

AK is awesome :thumbsup2
The Safari ride is the best and it looks like you were so close to the Giraffe's in that one picture. Really Cool :goodvibes
Jalapeno Stuffed Pretzel sounds like something my DW would love. Have to try it ::yes::
Divine is so cool and a must see. :artist:
Festival of the Lion King is a great show and a must see every trip for us. If they close it I will be very upset :sad: If they do anything I hope they just move it to a new location. pixiedust:
The Smoking Sangria was pretty cool looking :cool1:
Loving the TR :coffee:

Hi Emma!

I've just found your October TR and I'm looking forward to reading along :)

I love the view from your balcony and it's great that you posted pics of the plants at Epcot as well as the food booths :thumbsup2

Wow at being awake for 24 hours!!

Sounds like you had a great time at MK...a shame you couldn't get your score on Buzz Lightyear again! :laughing:

I love the animal shots at AKL.

The food pics of the F&W festival are making me hungry!

I love AK and you got some great shots of the safari and then of FOTLK.

I'm all caught up and looking forward to hearing more about your October trip.

Tanz :)

All caught up now!

How cool is that, that the maker of the perfume was there!

My husband just recently found the jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel at AK and LOVED it! We tried to find it elsewhere but I guess AK is the only place that sells it?:confused3

Bluezoo looks super good! I didn't know they take TiW! We don't have TiW but are thinking about getting it for our next trip since.

Sounds like a great opening at AK, we always do the safari first too.

Great pics of the lions!

During my stay at the BC in October, I wandered over to the Dolphin to look around and I came across Bluezoo and made a mental note to come and eat there one day, your food looked amazing

Hi! I hope you do get to try Blue Zoo on a future trip, we'd definitely eat there again, it was a great experience :goodvibes

I am so disappointed they don't do the opening show in AK too! We saw it for the first (and last, I guess) time on our trip last year and it was so cute. I was sad to see it had disappeared this year. Standing at that rope by the tree is just so boring!

You got some really great photos on the Safari, especially of the lions!! You seemed to have had a great morning at AK. We missed the tigers this year, I was so sad!

Your dinner sounds delicious!! Funny, I have never heard of sturgeon except from Under the Sea either.

Hi! I hadn't meant to take many photos of the safari.. as I knew later in the trip we'd be going backstage at AK :thumbsup2 ... but there were so many good photo opportunities that morning!

10 days!!! I can't believe it. I feel like my ticker has moved so fast!!! :cool1:

Looks like another very nice day for you guys. It's nice to read about a restaurant we never read about. :)

Hi Mel! Hope you had a great trip to WDW for New Year. Blue Zoo was really excellent, I hope others get a chance to eat there - we'd definitely go back :thumbsup2

AK is awesome :thumbsup2
The Safari ride is the best and it looks like you were so close to the Giraffe's in that one picture. Really Cool :goodvibes
Jalapeno Stuffed Pretzel sounds like something my DW would love. Have to try it ::yes::
Divine is so cool and a must see. :artist:
Festival of the Lion King is a great show and a must see every trip for us. If they close it I will be very upset :sad: If they do anything I hope they just move it to a new location. pixiedust:
The Smoking Sangria was pretty cool looking :cool1:
Loving the TR :coffee:

Thanks for your comments! We had a really fun day in AK and then a great dinner at Blue Zoo :goodvibes . When I ordered the smoking sangria, DH was a little concerned because the week before there'd been a news story in England about a girl who had inhaled nitrogen from a cocktail, and it had burnt her insides :eek: but luckily I was ok ;)

I also hope Festival of the Lion King just gets moved rather than ended, it's an excellent show!

Hi Emma!

I've just found your October TR and I'm looking forward to reading along :)

I love the view from your balcony and it's great that you posted pics of the plants at Epcot as well as the food booths :thumbsup2

Wow at being awake for 24 hours!!

Sounds like you had a great time at MK...a shame you couldn't get your score on Buzz Lightyear again! :laughing:

I love the animal shots at AKL.

The food pics of the F&W festival are making me hungry!

I love AK and you got some great shots of the safari and then of FOTLK.

I'm all caught up and looking forward to hearing more about your October trip.

Tanz :)

Hi Tanz! Great to hear from you and thank you for your comments. Do you have any future WDW trips planned? :goodvibes

All caught up now!

How cool is that, that the maker of the perfume was there!

My husband just recently found the jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel at AK and LOVED it! We tried to find it elsewhere but I guess AK is the only place that sells it?:confused3

Bluezoo looks super good! I didn't know they take TiW! We don't have TiW but are thinking about getting it for our next trip since.

Hi Lesha! I was so pleased I got to meet the perfume maker, it was an added bonus since I'd already decided to buy the lotion while we were there... and I ended up with free perfume and a signed photo too! :goodvibes
AK was the only place I saw the jalapeno pretzels.. I think somewhere in MK used to sell them (Skuttle's Landing?) before the Fantasyland expansion began..
Bluezoo was so delicious.. I'd really recommend a TiW card too, even with the increased price ($100 for AP holders/$125 DVC), we've always found it easy to cover the cost within a few meals. It's also valid at many lounges in WDW too and most counter service in AK :thumbsup2

Emma princess: x

Hi,
Great update and pics.

We enjoyed Bluezoo though it is pricey but the food and ambiance was so nice.

Looking forward to hearing more.

What a great review, I'm looking forward to the rest of it! I just might have to try Blue Zoo when we go back to WDW.

Hey Emma! I'm loving your tr so far! You guys accomplished so much at each park in such a short period of time!

Hi there, I am a new subscriber! I read your Disneymoon :lovestruc:lovestruc TR, and I feel like a bit of a creeper, because I don't think I ever said hello (I read it after it had already been completed). So this time I am saying hi and following along as you go! :)

Hi,
Great update and pics.

We enjoyed Bluezoo though it is pricey but the food and ambiance was so nice.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Thank you for reading :goodvibes

What a great review, I'm looking forward to the rest of it! I just might have to try Blue Zoo when we go back to WDW.

Thanks! I really recommend Blue Zoo if you get a chance to eat there on a future trip :thumbsup2

Hey Emma! I'm loving your tr so far! You guys accomplished so much at each park in such a short period of time!

Hi! Thank you for reading along so far :goodvibes it was such a great time of year to go, lovely warm weather and quiet parks - we could definitely tell the difference from the humid & busy August trip we took!

Hi there, I am a new subscriber! I read your Disneymoon :lovestruc:lovestruc TR, and I feel like a bit of a creeper, because I don't think I ever said hello (I read it after it had already been completed). So this time I am saying hi and following along as you go! :)

Hi! Thank you for your comments and for reading along - next update on its way :thumbsup2

Hi, Emma! Your dinner at BlueZoo looks amazing! Looking forward to more!

Hi! Blue Zoo was so good, DH said that the meal was so delicious that he didn't want to eat the next day as it would be disappointing :cutie:

Next update coming soon!

Emma princess: x

Thursday 11th October 2012

There was so much to look forward to on this day of our vacation, I was so excited that I woke far too early!

Our plan was to go to Disney's Hollywood Studios for rope drop, the park opened at 9am which meant we didn't need to leave the Boardwalk until 8.30am. As I couldn't get back to sleep, at 7.30am I decided to do something I've never done before at WDW...

Go for a run!!

IMG_1460_zps022ba79f.jpg

I regularly go to the gym when I'm at home but I don't run outside very often, however one day I would love to do the WDW Half Marathon – so this was my first experience of running there.

I put my gym clothes on and then headed down to the Boardwalk, the temperature was perfect as there was no humidty... and I started to run! I went clockwise, towards ESPN and then over the bridge to the Beach Club, Yacht Club, over the bridge past the Swan and Dolphin and back around to the Boardwalk. It took me about 10 minutes and I think the distance is a mile – there was a few other people out running and jogging, everyone smiled or said 'Good Morning' as I ran by. I probably could have run around around the lake a couple more times, I enjoyed it so much!
I headed back up to the room, got showered and changed – and we were very soon heading to the Studios.

IMG_3643_zpsa5c94221.jpg

IMG_3644_zps7e1b814a.jpg

IMG_3645_zps1de2d75b.jpg

IMG_3646_zps38b5a110.jpg

Similarly to Animal Kingdom, there doesn't seem to be an opening show at DHS at the moment – and very soon we were through the turnstiles and heading up Hollywood Boulevard...

IMG_3647_zps332e5ae0.jpg

Our usual plan for this park is to join the dash for Toy Story Mania, but we'd done this ride twice in August and agreed that although we enjoy it, we'd rather miss the crowds and do our absolute favourite attraction first instead...

IMG_3649_zpsfdf993b0.jpg

Tower of Terror!

We took a quick detour to Rock N Roller Coaster to get Fast Passes, but the Cast Member there told us not to as it would be a walk on this morning!

So back to the Hollywood Tower Hotel...

IMG_3651_zpse7bf0fdc.jpg

IMG_3652_zpsb9275659.jpg

IMG_3653_zps377e886b.jpg

IMG_3654_zps492f50e2.jpg

The ride was awesome, as always – I love how the drop sequence is different every time.

We did Rock n' Roller Coaster next and sure enough it was a walk on.

IMG_3650_zpsea1c0a9c.jpg

We stopped on Sunset Boulevard for a fruit cup and orange juice.

IMG_3655_zps794f0d60.jpg

Next we went to Star Tours..

IMG_3656_zps588acfb4.jpg

It was a really good ride and we went to some 'lands' that we'd never visited before. I'm not very familiar with the Star Wars films, but will have to watch them again now that Lucas Film is officially Disney ;)

Then we went to Muppets 3D, another favourite!

IMG_3657_zps19ad42e1.jpg

We got to see the full pre-show :goodvibes:

IMG_3659_zps16a09a16.jpg

IMG_3660_zpsbb3776f7.jpg

IMG_3661_zpsc794f6cd.jpg

We walked back to the front of the park, and I did some shopping in the stores there.

IMG_3662_zps10c00ae8.jpg

IMG_3663_zps77c60ee5.jpg

IMG_3664_zps42349475.jpg

IMG_3665_zps40ece04a.jpg

IMG_3666_zps29a93960.jpg

We left DHS at about 11.30am, as we had a lunch reservation in Epcot to get to!

There was a boat waiting at the dock, so we decided to get that for a change.

IMG_3667_zps2a86bcd5.jpg

IMG_3668_zps5c18d446.jpg

The Swan and Dolphin hotels were being painted while we were there...

IMG_3669_zpsac2a367c.jpg

We decided to get off the boat at the Swan/Dolphin dock and walk the rest of the way...

IMG_3670_zps54108c10.jpg

IMG_3671_zps9a19a040.jpg

DH took my shopping bags back to the room (we'd bought some glasses so I'd not used the resort delivery service) while I used the restroom in the lobby (which I think is so pretty!)

IMG_3673_zpsb3fdb269.jpg

We met back in the lobby, and walked the rest of the way to International Gateway.... somehow we managed to beat the boat we'd been on too!

IMG_3674_zps97860d1f.jpg

Very soon we were back in Epcot and walking around World Showcase

IMG_3675_zpsb2d92e75.jpg

IMG_3676_zps4818619f.jpg

We had some time before our lunch ADR, so we decided to take the long way around the lagoon – and try our favourite Food & Wine beverage again... the Dragon Berry Colada from the Caribbean booth!

I noticed on the menu board that there were two prices, so when I ordered I said “can I have the larger ones?” … and the Cast Member said “um.. they're not larger, just in a souvenir cup....” :laughing: - quite embarrassing! The cups were lovely though, I'm glad we got them!

IMG_3677_zps8bc5a739.jpg

The base lights up and changes colour too.

IMG_3678_zpsc9f945b4.jpg

We stopped at a high table to enjoy our drinks, I was taking some photos and a Photopass CM came over and asked if we'd like her to take some photos for us – she took pictures for about 5 minutes, it was like a photo shoot!

IMG_3683_zps0e49d96d.jpg

IMG_3681_zps11fc250b.jpg

Photo0002FourBySix_zps3b0f56fe.jpg

(She kept reminding me to put my hand on my hip, “like a princess would do” !)

We carried on walking around the lagoon, until we got to the Italy pavilion.. we were trying Via Napoli for the first time.

IMG_3686_zpseca72e83.jpg

IMG_3687_zpsbb9d91fd.jpg

There was still about half an hour until our ADR, so we went in Tutto Gusto for a while – we'd visited this new wine bar in August and loved the ambience and friendly Italian Cast Members. Again we had a great time there!

IMG_3688_zps8ea665ef.jpg

IMG_3689_zps87550328.jpg

IMG_3691_zps840cf1bb.jpg

…......

I LOVE the pre-show to the Muppets! I think it is so hilarious and entertaining. Plus, it's nice to get out of the heat and relax for a bit. :thumbsup2

Because of you, we went to the Wine Bar in Italy and it was fabulous! :cool1:

I can't wait to hear about your experience at Via Napoli. We LOVED it and i'm hoping you did too.

Looks like a fun morning at HS, we like the Tower of Terror better than Toy Story Mania too lol

We ate at Via Napoli for the first time in October, we really enjoyed it.

The friendship boat is nice, but it sure is slow.

I can't wait to read what you thought of Via Napoli!

What a nice morning! If I ever got up early enough, I'd love to take a run around my resort. The Boardwalk is so scenic!
You guys got a lot accomplished at DHS-- I love mornings like that!
Can't wait to hear about your dinner at Via Napoli-- I want to try it so badly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter