Not Worth Purchasing Resale

I’ve been already looking into an add on contract to my 220 AKV one and was undecided to go resale again or direct for the blue card. It would be mainly for the annual passes but after what Chapek said this week about ‘not even scratching the surface of profitability’ when taking about annual passes coming back to Disneyland that I feel the same will happen at Disneyworld.

I think prices will soar or the passes will give you a set number of days a year you can visit like 30 days and for us, it’s not worth the hassle.

I know it’s not confirmed but I’m sure we can see it coming eventually sI going forward and DVC add ons I’ll just do resale

Last edited:
So my ex is getting our DVC membership in our divorce. I had a call with DVC direct on Saturday and add on for OKW as a member is $170 per point with a minimum purchase of 150 points as it's a new contract since I can't just do an add on. With that being said, it prices me out of the DVC direct market when I can find resale for $120 - $140/point. My only concern is can i get TIW. I know I won't qualify for annual pass.

Also, does anyone know if I buy 100 resale can I add on a small amount say 25 or 50 points direct through Disney to get the other DVC benefits? Trying to buy a house and pay off debts with my settlement money but missing my DVC so I was hoping to pay cash.

So my ex is getting our DVC membership in our divorce. I had a call with DVC direct on Saturday and add on for OKW as a member is $170 per point with a minimum purchase of 150 points as it's a new contract since I can't just do an add on. With that being said, it prices me out of the DVC direct market when I can find resale for $120 - $140/point. My only concern is can i get TIW. I know I won't qualify for annual pass.

Also, does anyone know if I buy 100 resale can I add on a small amount say 25 or 50 points direct through Disney to get the other DVC benefits? Trying to buy a house and pay off debts with my settlement money but missing my DVC so I was hoping to pay cash.

All DVC can get TIW. But I have read rumors it may not return. And yes, once you are an owner again, you can add on in small amounts to get to the 150 FP qualify for benefits.

You would need to purchase 150 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras. That would include Moonlight Magic, merchandise discounts, or any ticket discounts.

Your resale points would also be ineligible to be used at RIV or any new resort built from here on out.

You would need to purchase 150 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras. That would include Moonlight Magic, merchandise discounts, or any ticket discounts.

Your resale points would also be ineligible to be used at RIV or any new resort built from here on out.
Also could not be used towards cruises either.

As above, yes you can start with resale and then add on direct in increments. You won’t get blue card privileges, though, until your direct points add up to 150 (or whatever the requirement is by the time you get there). But in the meantime, 100 resale points will get you some nice vacations!

It seems like things are starting to settle down, and I’m starting to see some better deals.. that said we just added on 100 AKV direct because we have October use year which is less common, then add on the benefit of 2020 points, cheaper closing costs, prorated dues, less hassle / no ROFR and it was getting close enough to resale pricing that it made sense for us to buy direct.

We bought 25 more VGF direct late last year. This was before the announcement about the conversion that will be going on. If those new studios don’t have a kitchenette, that’s the rumor that’s going on, I think we’ll be selling the VGF points we do have. They’re too valuable to be Sleep Around Points! :guilty:

We bought 25 more VGF direct late last year. This was before the announcement about the conversion that will be going on. If those new studios don’t have a kitchenette, that’s the rumor that’s going on, I think we’ll be selling the VGF points we do have. They’re too valuable to be Sleep Around Points! :guilty:

I feel like they should be two separate contracts, like at Wilderness Lodge, if the product is substantially different like this.

It totally changes the ratio of room availability and (potentially) offers a new room style.

I feel for people who bought in at a premium for the existing product. It seems like many people bought at VGF instead of Polynesian because of the room distribution; this changes that to a large degree.

I feel like they should be two separate contracts, like at Wilderness Lodge, if the product is substantially different like this.

It totally changes the ratio of room availability and (potentially) offers a new room style.

I feel for people who bought in at a premium for the existing product. It seems like many people bought at VGF instead of Polynesian because of the room distribution; this changes that to a large degree.

Unfortunately, they already announced same association so it will be all one resort.

I agree this really changes the ratio for those who currently own who did not buy for studios or for potential studios that are different.

I am thinking of adding on 50 to 75 next year depending on price and what they end up actually being.

Unfortunately, they already announced same association so it will be all one resort.

I agree this really changes the ratio for those who currently own who did not buy for studios or for potential studios that are different.

I am thinking of adding on 50 to 75 next year depending on price and what they end up actually being.

Oh, I know they said it’d be the same. I just disagree.:)

I don’t own there and have no plans to (at this time?). I would like to stay there at some point, though.

I would definitely take a "wait and see" approach. There will be plenty of demand for the "newer" units so I think it might actually work out for people who prefer the existing studios. Pretty sure that they would be a separate bookable room category if there are going to be any meaningful differences.

We bought there for 1 bedrooms, but I'm not super worried. I have to assume that DVC knows best as to what people are trying to book, so I'm hopeful that this new studios plan is just a response to the # of people who only ever want studios. We are planning on adding another 60 once we see the new pricing. If I end up being wrong and the 1 bedrooms become impossible to book, then we might look at slowly transitioning our points over to RIV. Either way, we would prefer to always stay at VGF but bought with the intent of being flexible- as long as we can find a 1 bedroom at an Epcot or MK resort!

It seems likely that it always makes sense to buy direct for HHI. SC law requires the use of an attorney to close a timeshare contract. It added $600 to our initial DVC purchase (resale) back in 2009. We've added on twice there direct and the point price was competitive with resale and all the closing/legal costs. Purchased 150 points resale at BRV for about half the direct price but then did 25 points direct for BWV because those small point contracts there are few and far between. I was expecting a waitlist but they had the points at the time. Our wait until points were in our account was from 2 months resale to a matter of hours with direct purchase so that's a consideration too.

I have to assume that DVC knows best as to what people are trying to book,
I think it's acknowledged here that studios are the most sought-after DVC villas, in general. But if these new VGF "resort studios" turn out not to have a kitchenette, as some have guessed they might, but the reason people sought to book DVC deluxe studios instead of regular hotel rooms was because they wanted a kitchenette, well, those original VGF deluxe studios might be even tougher to get!

I think it's acknowledged here that studios are the most sought-after DVC villas, in general. But if these new VGF "resort studios" turn out not to have a kitchenette, as some have guessed they might, but the reason people sought to book DVC deluxe studios instead of regular hotel rooms was because they wanted a kitchenette, well, those original VGF deluxe studios might be even tougher to get!

That is exactly what I thought. There will be more competition for deluxe studios after this is added.

We bought there for 1 bedrooms, but I'm not super worried. I have to assume that DVC knows best as to what people are trying to book, so I'm hopeful that this new studios plan is just a response to the # of people who only ever want studios. We are planning on adding another 60 once we see the new pricing. If I end up being wrong and the 1 bedrooms become impossible to book, then we might look at slowly transitioning our points over to RIV. Either way, we would prefer to always stay at VGF but bought with the intent of being flexible- as long as we can find a 1 bedroom at an Epcot or MK resort!

I think you're correct about the number of people who only want studios. They are always the first rooms to go, especially cheaper views. This lets Disney sell more points and take some of the burden off of the other studios. I personally own at a different resort so GF is almost impossible to get.

I have been looking at resale DVC for a while and noticed that after months of there being like 250 contracts for sale across all the big resale sites, all of the sudden there’s over 600. DVCRM alone has 324 as I write this, for a while they barely had 150.

So if you’re looking for some downward movement on resale contract pricing, I think we may be making an approach to that happening.

I have been looking at resale DVC for a while and noticed that after months of there being like 250 contracts for sale across all the big resale sites, all of the sudden there’s over 600. DVCRM alone has 324 as I write this, for a while they barely had 150.

So if you’re looking for some downward movement on resale contract pricing, I think we may be making an approach to that happening.

I'd like to agree with you, but two big announcements are coming: APs and VGF2 pricing. I don't think either is going to lead to lower resale pricing.

I'd like to agree with you, but two big announcements are coming: APs and VGF2 pricing. I don't think either is going to lead to lower resale pricing.
I’m afraid I’m not following. APs are not a resale perk, so they shouldn’t impact resale decisions at all, and VGF2 pricing is either going to be close to Riviera, which would put downward pressure on resale VGF, or priced in the vicinity what it was as a sold out resort, in which case resale VGF prices shouldn’t change.

In any case, my point is that contracts are sitting, which means too much supply, which lowers prices over time. So to counter that something needs to happen that increases resale demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter