Not Worth Purchasing Resale

Yea my wife and I have been talking about adding another 100 pts at Saratoga Springs for a while now... We waited too long to pull the trigger, now it may make sense just to buy direct (we currently dont have any direct points)
I say make offers on contracts that align with your needs and see what happens, I thought I would end up having to add SSR direct but got an offer accepted at $100 p/p for a 100-pt contract 2 days ago, you just never know.

I bought VGC last year resale. I bought to get a contract at that specific resort (my favorite) and paid what I thought was a lot for it-but I really wanted it. I cannot think of another reason I would buy direct or resale moving forward. I bought a resale contract a decade ago and it was a bargain compared to today's prices. It would sell for a lot more than I paid now but I really do think buying then has "saved" me a lot of Disney money. I don't think a resale contract at today's prices would.

I say make offers on contracts that align with your needs and see what happens, I thought I would end up having to add SSR direct but got an offer accepted at $100 p/p for a 100-pt contract 2 days ago, you just never know.
But will it get through ROFR? The seller will get paid either way if Disney buys it back or you get it.

But will it get through ROFR? The seller will get paid either way if Disney buys it back or you get it.
Maybe, maybe not, in this case I was willing to risk it, but had I really wanted to make sure ROFR wouldn’t be an issue I probably would have offered around $110, that still would have been worth going resale vs. direct to me.
It really depends on everyone’s unique circumstances and what we each value (i.e. for some having points in 2 hours vs. 3 months is worth $50+ p/p). The point was that while resale is getting out of control, good deals can still be found with patience and persistence.

If you have a Blue Card 20% here and 20% there adds up

5000+ quarts of milk later they're square!

However I think they meant that even tough they use the discount the resale savings still make it worth buying resale. And that's another point - once you have a blue card there's no additional gain for the direct purchase other than using the points at new resorts but you'd already have points you could do that with. Lots of factors about resale including each persons perception of value. I still like even a $2,000 savings myself and $5,000 is a no brainer for being worth it.

Last edited:
So I joined DVC a couple of weeks ago and they have currently suspended Welcome Home calls for new members because they are booked up too far in advance. I take that as an indication direct is gaining traction versus resale at least for new buyers at the moment.

The blue card is a real benefit for me. We pretty much exclusively eat at table service and have a big family, and Tables in Wonderland is not enrolling now, so I expect we'll save hundreds of dollars a year from the dining discounts alone.

So I joined DVC a couple of weeks ago and they have currently suspended Welcome Home calls for new members because they are booked up too far in advance. I take that as an indication direct is gaining traction versus resale at least for new buyers at the moment.

The blue card is a real benefit for me. We pretty much exclusively eat at table service and have a big family, and Tables in Wonderland is not enrolling now, so I expect we'll save hundreds of dollars a year from the dining discounts alone.

They are really having difficulty with staffing by all indications. I think that is the more likely reason they are not supporting the function of Welcome Home calls. There are people who do track direct sales and there are many times in the past that have exceeded what has still been seen recently. Short staffed and cutting service to members is the new wave.

How do you know before direct prices increase? Do they send out one of those “buy before May 12th for current pricing“ emails?
No they don’t send out a general email unfortunately. The way it happened for me is I got myself a guide after purchasing my first resale last year since I was interested in possibly buying direct. My guide told me she will put me on a her personal list for new updates on resorts I was interested in. It just so happen she got word there was going to be an increase in Jan for BLT so I jumped on it. Usually then members here will share whatever info they hear from their guides on the forums.

You can get a lot of this with the Disney Visa for free, including some that aren't on Blue Card. But, that Beach Club milk discount...
I do have the Disney Visa but very few restaurants are included in the discount compared to blue card.

I do have the Disney Visa but very few restaurants are included in the discount compared to blue card.

Same- we eat all 3 meals as TS every day, and on this past trip I think the Brown Derby was the only place we got a discount.

More broadly speaking, I think Sandi's point about it being different products speaks most to the future direct/resale conversation. For a family with young kids just entering the DVC world, I would rather spend a little extra $$ today to be able to have access to future resorts. Our contracts won't expire until 2064, and I don't want to be stuck in 2042 having to shell out whatever prices are at that time in order to still have flexibility, especially as my kids will be older and MK probably won't have as much draw. There will always be a resale market, but I think every year that passes will mark there being a big demographic difference between typical resale buyers and typical direct buyers.

There will always be a resale market, but I think every year that passes will mark there being a big demographic difference between typical resale buyers and typical direct buyers.

It's about exit strategy, not demographics. Resale continues to make sense to anyone who doesn't plan to hold. I don't care about any of the future resorts or the discounts because I won't be holding long enough for it to matter.

But yea, as the 2042s get cheaper and cheaper, direct is going to be selling a 50 year gorilla with a scary chart, versus cheaply dipping your toes into beach club. That might make resale look even better when you aren't looking for a 50 year commitment with a mortgage payment. Many buyers aren't.

This time of the year prices seem to be higher. I try to buy during the winter time and seem to do better. But smaller contracts, I agree that some resorts might be easier to buy direct because you not paying that much more. I saw a 50 point Feb use SSR listing today on for $149 per point. To me a for a few bucks more I can go direct with out the stress of passing ROFR, additional fees, the time to close and DVC adding the points in your account waiting period as well. Plus dues are prorated and closing is a little less as well so when you look at the difference in this case its not much more and you have your points in a couple of days.
I just rescinded an offer on a contract for my use year at SSR for $145/point for 26 points. It did include 2020 points but after I researched and thought about it, and realized I could just buy direct without the hassle of resale for $165, I decided to rescind my offer.

I just rescinded an offer on a contract for my use year at SSR for $145/point for 26 points. It did include 2020 points but after I researched and thought about it, and realized I could just buy direct without the hassle of resale for $165, I decided to rescind my offer.
I saw your post on the other thread, that was definitely the right move, I wouldn’t do resale for a $20 p/p delta either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter