No the Magic isn’t gone but it’s at 25%

I have found that a lot on these boards as well. it always reminds me of what I've heard about Saturday night Live, which is essentially that everyone hates the current cast when it is the current cast, and how the previous cast was the best, until a new cast comes in and then just rinse and repeat.
I think Disney has accidentally been dishing out member berries for generations now haha
In fairness Disney inflation has far outpaced real inflation over the last 40 years, so that's probably why people feel that way.

BTW, I posted about our trip in this thread and I'm pretty sure I was on the Magic is still there side, even though I said it's really expensive.

I hope that adjustment remains permanent. One of the biggest limiting factor of any FP type systems is capacity so anything they can do with that is great.

Serious question that is not supposed to be snarky: Would you feel better about Genie Plus if Disney just raised the ticket prices for everyone by $15 and included the service in the price? A quick google says the lowest daily price is $109, so if they raised that to $124 would that make it "feel" better?
Personally I would say no because the last thing Genie+ needs is for even more people to be using it. Alongside not enough ride capacity in the service, one of Genie+'s main issues that has been outlined many times on these forums is that TOO many people are using it.

I hope that adjustment remains permanent. One of the biggest limiting factor of any FP type systems is capacity so anything they can do with that is great.

Serious question that is not supposed to be snarky: Would you feel better about Genie Plus if Disney just raised the ticket prices for everyone by $15 and included the service in the price? A quick google says the lowest daily price is $109, so if they raised that to $124 would that make it "feel" better?
I would be fine with paying more for a better experience. Right now, I'm not convinced that Genie Plus is a  better experience. I'm not even sure that it's an experience that is  equal to what FP+ was. Looking at Thrill Data, average wait times at WDW in 2022 (where G+ has existed the entire time) are up beyond what they were in 2019 (when FP+ existed). If Genie Plus was supposed to improve the overall guest experience, I would say it missed its mark.

ETA: https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/chain/wdw/
Screenshot_20220822-154014_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
I would be fine with paying more for a better experience. Right now, I'm not convinced that Genie Plus is a  better experience. I'm not even sure that it's an experience that is  equal to what FP+ was. Looking at Thrill Data, average wait times at WDW in 2022 (where G+ has existed the entire time) are up beyond what they were in 2019 (when FP+ existed). If Genie Plus was supposed to improve the overall guest experience, I would say it missed its mark.
View attachment 696179
A lot of that has to do with the amount of people buying it every day. From what I have heard Genie+ works at its best when only 10% of people buy it each day.

View attachment 696179

To be fair, that chart shows a trend across 2017, 2018, 2019 that indicates wait times might have reached this point with FP+ anyway. The difference is $15+/head (which will go up nearly annually, just like Maxpass did at DLR).

I don't care about the crowds or the wait times, they are what they are, you can't fight them. But the blatant, micro-managed nickel-and-diming is (at least mildly) insulting. When I pay $$$$ for a WDW vacation, we like to feel like I get something for it before they stick their hand back out.

For me I am fine with the extra price but the price needs to be higher so that not as many people use it and so it doesn't make the stand-by lines that much longer. This is why it works better at Universal as it is limited to a smaller group using the benefit. I think that would, in the end, make everyone happier. Everyone would feel like they are getting value.

Also, just to add I don't think that Disney is operating at full capacity all of the time either with their rides. If they aren't then they need to operate at full capacity to allow for a better guest experience along with adding more attractions to each park.
I was thinking the other day that they should completely trade systems. I feel like WDW would do better with a higher priced system that is included in their deluxe hotels that fewer people get and that Universal would do better with a lower cost alternative more accessible to all guests.

To be fair, that chart shows a trend across 2017, 2018, 2019 that indicates wait times might have reached this point with FP+ anyway. The difference is $15+/head (which will go up nearly annually, just like Maxpass did at DLR).
But wasn't the goal of Genie/Genie Plus to level the playing field? And if it is so much better than FP+ (which allegedly contributed to longer standby waits), shouldn't those wait times have decreased or at least leveled off?

In addition, as per the Q3 earnings report, daily attendance is still down from 2019 levels:
"So even while the average daily attendance at our domestic parks across the first three quarters of this fiscal year was slightly below 2019, we have delivered significantly higher revenue and operating income over that same time period."

Last edited:

I was thinking the other day that they should completely trade systems. I feel like WDW would do better with a higher priced system that is included in their deluxe hotels that fewer people get and that Universal would do better with a lower cost alternative more accessible to all guests.
Having a cheaper Express pass (cheaper than the one time use one), especially one that is obtainable for most people, would defeat the purpose of the Express pass in my opinion. Look at Genie+ as an example.

But wasn't the goal of Genie/Genie Plus to level the playing field? And if it is so much better than FP+ (which allegedly contributed to longer standby waits), shouldn't those wait times have decreased or at least leveled off?

In addition, as per the Q3 earnings report, daily attendance is still down from 2019 levels:
"So even while the average daily attendance at our domestic parks across the first three quarters of this fiscal year was slightly below 2019, we have delivered significantly higher revenue and operating income over that same time period."

No, the goal of Genie Plus is to monetize FP access; “value added”. A seperate revenue stream to impress board members and major investors , senior leadership bonuses depend on happy investors.

In fairness Disney inflation has far outpaced real inflation over the last 40 years, so that's probably why people feel that way.

BTW, I posted about our trip in this thread and I'm pretty sure I was on the Magic is still there side, even though I said it's really expensive.
This is one thing that been poking at me for a while so figure why not throw it out there. Disney clearly Identified that they were selling themselves short at one point, and decided to capitalize on that. The market usually dictates how high a price increase they're able to stomach, the problem here is that the market has yet to push back as a whole. Sure the hardos on these boards may push back, but we are a pimple on the butt of Disney, it would take a lot more to throw them off their game. As a share holder, if there is money on the table Disney should be doing whatever they can to rake it in. On a personal note i would love for prices to come down, or go up high enough that the crowds start to taper off. I just can't back anyone who is upset with a company for doing everything within their power to make more money.

Don't forget Disney is still understaffed, which i believe is directly contributing to slower ride turnover. There are a lot of factors on the park level that no one is talking about. I get that people are upset with Genie, but there is a lot to consider over the past few years, that are still affecting the day to day at Disney parks

• The original paper FP system was put in place in 1999 because attendance was struggling due to guests constantly complaining about long wait times when the parks were stand-by only
  • Once the paper FP system was put in place, people loved it, and park attendance started to rise significantly year after year
  • Disney became a victim of its own success when park attendance started to outstrip the capacity for FP or FP+ to handle effectively.
  • Those saying to crank up the cost of G+ so that less guests use it... Well the more exclusive you make it, it moves the needle back to where things prior to 1999, but even worse due to the increased crowd levels we have today. This would be far worse for the vast majority of guests, which will cause more guests complaining about standing in lines, and a select few very happy guests who were willing to fork over the $$$ for G+.
  • That pay more model just doesn't work at WDW with the amount of guests they have and the ride capacity. Universal and WDW are apples to oranges in this regard.
  • The "pay a lot more for G+" also doesn't work due to the fact that guests stay at WDW FAR longer than they do at Universal parks. Weeklong+ stays are extremely common at WDW, and extremely rare at Universal. Increasing the cost of G+, for the common long stays at WDW, would very quickly price it out of reach, which would again cause the parks to drift to standby only and the long lines overall.
I liked FP+ better than G+ because we're planners and would book our 3 rides per day as soon as we could. I loved that we could pick from a number of timeslots. I REALLY liked that we didn't need to get up at 7am everyday to book our first attraction

Having said all that, I think G+ is an o.k. compromise for the planners versus non planners. I like keeping it as a separate cost. That way those who like to visit the parks for reasons other than attractions can opt out and have a lower cost overall. Also, including it with every ticket would dramatically increase it's usage which would probably tax it too much causing it to be less effective.

G+ works great at MK because it has so much ride capacity, parades, shows, and other options. They need to model this at the other parks.

Dan

• The original paper FP system was put in place in 1999 because attendance was struggling due to guests constantly complaining about long wait times when the parks were stand-by only
  • Once the paper FP system was put in place, people loved it, and park attendance started to rise significantly year after year
  • Disney became a victim of its own success when park attendance started to outstrip the capacity for FP or FP+ to handle effectively.
  • Those saying to crank up the cost of G+ so that less guests use it... Well the more exclusive you make it, it moves the needle back to where things prior to 1999, but even worse due to the increased crowd levels we have today. This would be far worse for the vast majority of guests, which will cause more guests complaining about standing in lines, and a select few very happy guests who were willing to fork over the $$$ for G+.
  • That pay more model just doesn't work at WDW with the amount of guests they have and the ride capacity. Universal and WDW are apples to oranges in this regard.
  • The "pay a lot more for G+" also doesn't work due to the fact that guests stay at WDW FAR longer than they do at Universal parks. Weeklong+ stays are extremely common at WDW, and extremely rare at Universal. Increasing the cost of G+, for the common long stays at WDW, would very quickly price it out of reach, which would again cause the parks to drift to standby only and the long lines overall.
I liked FP+ better than G+ because we're planners and would book our 3 rides per day as soon as we could. I loved that we could pick from a number of timeslots. I REALLY liked that we didn't need to get up at 7am everyday to book our first attraction

Having said all that, I think G+ is an o.k. compromise for the planners versus non planners. I like keeping it as a separate cost. That way those who like to visit the parks for reasons other than attractions can opt out and have a lower cost overall. Also, including it with every ticket would dramatically increase it's usage which would probably tax it too much causing it to be less effective.

G+ works great at MK because it has so much ride capacity, parades, shows, and other options. They need to model this at the other parks.

Dan
Well said, the only thing i would add is that Disney is using Genie to attempt to move crowds around the park and disperse congested areas, that part looks like it is going to take a lot of data logging before it becomes successful. FP+ was great for people who knew how it worked, and how to game the system aka hardo fans of the parks, so i believe Disney also wanted to level the playing field so that when a one off guest went home, they would still promote the parks for getting as much out of them as possible

That's an interesting thought. I would be okay if they both had the same system (although for Disney they couldn't include it with all their Deluxe resorts as that is too many rooms but maybe select resorts or a price break if you are staying in the deluxe resorts). I think it works well at Universal as there is a limit to the number of passes sold and therefore it doesn't impact the standby lines too much. Additionally when you get the pass you don't feel that you wasted your money as you can get on many more rides in a much shorter amount of time. It is almost the best of both worlds for the companies.

I feel if Universal lowered their price point then it would create the same problems that Disney currently has as most would buy it and then it would screw up both lines (express & stand-by). Just my assumptions...

This is one thing that been poking at me for a while so figure why not throw it out there. Disney clearly Identified that they were selling themselves short at one point, and decided to capitalize on that. The market usually dictates how high a price increase they're able to stomach, the problem here is that the market has yet to push back as a whole. Sure the hardos on these boards may push back, but we are a pimple on the butt of Disney, it would take a lot more to throw them off their game. As a share holder, if there is money on the table Disney should be doing whatever they can to rake it in. On a personal note i would love for prices to come down, or go up high enough that the crowds start to taper off. I just can't back anyone who is upset with a company for doing everything within their power to make more money.
I agree they probably were selling themselves short but the problem now is they just raised prices and simultaneously they cut back what you get for the raised price. The restaurants have worse food than they did a decade ago, you pay for fastpasses but have longer to wait and get on fewer rides than you did before, the perks for staying on-site at Disney are so reduced they are laughable.

The main thing Disney did is destroy the value for your money. Of course none of us want to spend more than we did in the past but I think there would be a lot less grumbling if the value was still there.

Dan
There was a great video someone posted here from youtube on the implementation of the fastpass system, its goals and then how Disney essentially screwed it up. It is worth a watch as it is very informative (
)

And I agree that Disney & Universal are different I disagree that the same system wouldn't work at Disney. Essentially it is critical that most be priced out of fastpasses for the system to work properly. At this point Disney really must get more throughput on the rides they currently have and simultaneously add more attractions to take guests away from the rides (ie; shows, parades, art installations, meet & greets, in-park adventures like the defunct Sorcerers thing (can't remember the right name)). Giving guests more to do without even adding rides would be a huge help at this time. That is one of the reasons G+ works better at MK as there is a larger amount of rides to disperse crowds. I know Disney could do a much better job of this.

Right on the money. Just let us have our 3 rides with FP+ and we'll be happy campers. We don't enter the parks until afternoon and at MK and HS, every standby line is an hour+. I couldn't even use G+ if I wanted to, which I don't, because I don't even have a smart phone. Those phones must be smart if they get people to stare at them for hours every day.

I agree they probably were selling themselves short but the problem now is they just raised prices and simultaneously they cut back what you get for the raised price. The restaurants have worse food than they did a decade ago, you pay for fastpasses but have longer to wait and get on fewer rides than you did before, the perks for staying on-site at Disney are so reduced they are laughable.

The main thing Disney did is destroy the value for your money. Of course none of us want to spend more than we did in the past but I think there would be a lot less grumbling if the value was still there.
I say this a lot, but value is subjective there is clearly many who still find value in what Disney is offering. There are many who would pay more to get more, but the reality of the situation is that there are also many who are willing to pay more to get less, and until scale starts to swing the other way for the masses, nothing is going to change. Disney has a supply and demand problem like so many others currently

Well said, the only thing i would add is that Disney is using Genie to attempt to move crowds around the park and disperse congested areas, that part looks like it is going to take a lot of data logging before it becomes successful. FP+ was great for people who knew how it worked, and how to game the system aka hardo fans of the parks, so i believe Disney also wanted to level the playing field so that when a one off guest went home, they would still promote the parks for getting as much out of them as possible
I agree that's what they are using Genie+ for. My issue goes all the way back to the original FP. They have spent all this money trying to create systems to deal with the lack of capacity instead of actually creating capacity.

I don't want to hear about all the new attractions they have made in the last decade cause its no where near enough. They need less Rise and more Dumbos.

I agree that's what they are using Genie+ for. My issue goes all the way back to the original FP. They have spent all this money trying to create systems to deal with the lack of capacity instead of actually creating capacity.

I don't want to hear about all the new attractions they have made in the last decade cause its no where near enough. They need less Rise and more Dumbos.
More attractions would ultimately add more visits you wouldn’t have 1 without the other

More attractions would ultimately add more visits you wouldn’t have 1 without the other
Disagree. If they are on the level as Dumbo or Buzz Lightyear it would add capacity to the parks but wouldn't be a huge draw that adds that many more visitors. IMO Disney needs to be more like the regional parks in adding new attractions yearly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter