No more bags

I honestly agree with both sides - in the end, less plastic bags is a good thing but they are also saving money ... those are the best plans for companies and generally what motivate them: if it makes us look good by being "green" but also save money, win-win

For example, my company recently installed the largest solar panel field in the county ... now, it makes them look great and fits in with their "sustainability" mission - but they were very obvious that the system will has a life span of 17 years and will pay for itself after 10 - so it makes financial sense as well

To me the biggest giveaway of the real intention is:

A) there already exist environmentally friendly alternatives to plastic bags, including biodegradable "plastics", which biodehrade quite quickly and safely but do cost a little more.

B) This is clearly going to save them money and there is no announcement about passing on savings or any such thing or doing something environmental with the savings.

C) they are removing an important convenience (bags) but offering an alternative (relatively expensive bags that are probably as bad or worse, if even more non biodegradable materials are used in them compared to regular plastic bags) and passing the cost onto the customer and, lets face it, making a profit off those bags too i imagine.

Their interest is in making money and cutting costs, not going green.

OK.
I have a question.
How are we going to eliminate the billions of non recyclable plastic containers sold in every store in the country every day.
There are an estimated sixty million water bottles alone thrown in landfills, incinerated, or just tossed in the streets every day in the U.S. not to mention the hundreds of millions of sheet plastic food containers holding jerky, cheese, meat, snacks, and millions of other items like garbage bags and disposable diapers that have outer linings made of sheet plastic.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com...cycling-waste-ocean-trash-debris-environment/
On the other hand the reusable bags can be positively dangerous and have a greater impact on the environment than the disposable plastic bags.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/to-tote-or-note-to-tote/498557/
I'm all for a return to recyclable, renewable, paper bags and containers that were the norm fifty years ago.
Of course then all of the tree huggers will have conniption fits over the use of trees to produce those items.

UncleMike you are a rare voice of reason today. Plastic is without a doubt a bad thing and to say I'm upset over its demise would be a lie. My woodlot is full of plastic bags, water bottles and other peoples garbage. As a woodland owner (no worries, I hug my trees before I harvest them) I'd love to see a return to paper but alas I fear that won't happen. As is typical of today the ones that cry foul can only find fault and never offer a solution or are interested in logic.
As far as the economics of the issue, its all profit driven disguised as environmental concern. Sorry to burst any bubbles. So Mike I guess us old guys should all buy an electric car, start vaping, grow a man bun and then maybe the world today will make more sense.

Its not strange at all.
I don't believe it really has to do with Disney though.
Many cities/counties/states have started doing this.
Personally I'm not a fan of this initiative but then again I reuse and/or recycle them.
If I stop getting them for free with purchases then I'm just going to buy them in the form of garbage bags etc so I'll still be using plastic bags so what's the difference?
exactly. We reuse them too. So if they go away we get to buy small plastic grocery bags. Smart.

UncleMike you are a rare voice of reason today. Plastic is without a doubt a bad thing and to say I'm upset over its demise would be a lie. My woodlot is full of plastic bags, water bottles and other peoples garbage. As a woodland owner (no worries, I hug my trees before I harvest them) I'd love to see a return to paper but alas I fear that won't happen. As is typical of today the ones that cry foul can only find fault and never offer a solution or are interested in logic.
As far as the economics of the issue, its all profit driven disguised as environmental concern. Sorry to burst any bubbles. So Mike I guess us old guys should all buy an electric car, start vaping, grow a man bun and then maybe the world today will make more sense.
I was at Wal Mart today and did a cursory tally of the single use plastic clad items in the grocery section.
By my observations there would be only canned goods, cardboard boxed goods, (Not very many because even cereal has a inner sheet plastic bag.) some glass jar items, and no meat at all, (100% of it is packaged in sheet plastic and/or foam plastic.) Even the cardboard boxed frozen items have plastic bags inside of them.
And that doesn't begin to take into account all of the single use plastic items and packaging in the rest of the store.
Now compound that by the number of all stores in the country and the use of plastic is mind boggling to say the least.
My vehicles are filled with plastic.
My kitchen appliances are filled with plastic.
My electronics are filled with plastic.
And on, and on, and on, ad nauseam.
IMO at this time it is virtually impossible to get rid of plastic unless we revert our lifestyles to a century ago.
So I fail to see how making customers provide their own shopping bags is anything but a method of saving the costs of providing those bags under the guise of going "green".
It's like peeing in the ocean in an attempt to raise the tide.

We love the Disney World bags we get while there. We bring them back home and reuse them quite a few times before they finally fall apart. They really are sturdy bags.

I agree that plastic beyond just reusable bags is a huge problem, but don't think that means it deserves a 'throw in the towel' attitude. (Regarding water bottles - doubt you'll be happy to hear this, lol, but I think they are starting to promote and implement bans on them in some places, like San Fran - have you noticed the huge proliferation of those cute metal water bottles in stores?)

I do think there are better and worse ways to implement reusable bags. I really like the way that Wegmans does it. In addition to researching the materials, I feel they promote bag use via positive reinforcement. They have cool new designs for various seasons and holidays, and don't force you to use the bags, but often make a positive comment when you do.
Plastic water bottles used to be banned in the Grand Canyon, too. I fully support the death of plastic bottles, especially water bottles.

Sorry, but I just need to laugh.

We actually got rid of paper bags because we were killing trees. I guess people finally realized that trees were a renewable resource and plastic bags aren't? Oh, and plastic bags are also harmful to the earth.

It is a cost saving venture, pure and simply.
The death of paper bags was economics driven too. Both grocery stores I go to use paper bags and they are all made from 100% recycled paper. Paper useage overall is way down and recycling is way up. There are also biodegradable plastics, that could be used to address most of the environmental concerns.

Selling low quality "reuseable" bags that use more materials and also aren't biodegradable isn't any better for the environment, either, unless people just don't use them.

To me the biggest giveaway of the real intention is:

A) there already exist environmentally friendly alternatives to plastic bags, including biodegradable "plastics", which biodehrade quite quickly and safely but do cost a little more.

B) This is clearly going to save them money and there is no announcement about passing on savings or any such thing or doing something environmental with the savings.

C) they are removing an important convenience (bags) but offering an alternative (relatively expensive bags that are probably as bad or worse, if even more non biodegradable materials are used in them compared to regular plastic bags) and passing the cost onto the customer and, lets face it, making a profit off those bags too i imagine.

Their interest is in making money and cutting costs, not going green.

I was at Wal Mart today and did a cursory tally of the single use plastic clad items in the grocery section.
By my observations there would be only canned goods, cardboard boxed goods, (Not very many because even cereal has a inner sheet plastic bag.) some glass jar items, and no meat at all, (100% of it is packaged in sheet plastic and/or foam plastic.) Even the cardboard boxed frozen items have plastic bags inside of them.
And that doesn't begin to take into account all of the single use plastic items and packaging in the rest of the store.
Now compound that by the number of all stores in the country and the use of plastic is mind boggling to say the least.
IMO at this time it is virtually impossible to get rid of plastic unless we revert our lifestyles to a century ago.
So I fail to see how making customers provide their own shopping bags is anything but a method of saving the costs of providing those bags under the guise of going "green".

Sorry, but I just need to laugh.

We actually got rid of paper bags because we were killing trees. I guess people finally realized that trees were a renewable resource and plastic bags aren't? Oh, and plastic bags are also harmful to the earth.

It is a cost saving venture, pure and simply.

So what you are getting at...Disney has masterminded the farce of "plastic is bad for the environment" in order to cut costs? Got it.

Is this really the first time any of you have come across a store that now charges for plastic bags? Disney is actually the last of the gang to jump on this train.

Plastic bags are dead Zed.

So what you are getting at...Disney has masterminded the farce of "plastic is bad for the environment" in order to cut costs? Got it.

Is this really the first time any of you have come across a store that now charges for plastic bags? Disney is actually the last of the gang to jump on this train.

I can't figure it out. I think some are annoyed at not getting free bags anymore, while others are upset that Disney is cutting costs while not passing the savings along to customers (certainly not the first company to do so). Those seated in the back feel that the "going green" movement is just a farce and the earth is too far gone so why bother cutting back on plastics now. The standing room only crowd likes the fact that less plastic is being generated and dont feel inconvenienced by the corporate decision. And those skyping in subscribe to two or more of the above.

I don't know where you live but in our part of the country the only places that don't use plastic bags are Adli's and Save A Lot grocery stores and at least they're honest about it in their ads and state that they don't provide bags in order to keep their costs down.
Disney has jumped on the BS train with the "going green" statements.
They're just picking the customers pockets the same as with their asinine parking fees.
I don't appreciate it when Disney, or any other moneymaking concern, pees on my shoes and tells me it's just raining.................

I don't know where you live but in our part of the country the only places that don't use plastic bags are Adli's and Save A Lot grocery stores and at least they're honest about it in their ads and state that they don't provide bags in order to keep their costs down.
Disney has jumped on the BS train with the "going green" statements.
They're just picking the customers pockets the same as with their asinine parking fees.
I don't appreciate it when Disney, or any other moneymaking concern, pees on my shoes and tells me it's just raining.................

I think we are completely different people with different ideals and we will have to agree to disagree. :) But we can both love going to Disney!

Yeah my scale for bags on sturdiness is Disney parks being the strongest and Walmart’s/dollar general’s being the weakest. I’ve ranked bags in the past...
Yes.....
I'm still using Disney plastic bags from the 90's as long term storage for my Disney memorabilia.
Although I also have items from the 80's still residing in their heavy duty WDW paper bags from that era.

The concept of going 'bagless' or 'no plastic' is nothing new here on the West Coast, PNW specifically. Most places have traditionally given you the option of Paper or plastic, however, over the past few years it has been paper only or bring your own reusable bags and those paper bags are charged at 5cents a bag. As a trained Environmental Scientist I 100% agree that 'we' need to do all we can to reduce the amount of plastics in our landfills and oceans. I understand the entire concept that it is easy for companies to hide behind the moral environmental high ground as a way to save money and costs, however, if that is what it takes to reduce our reliance on plastics and subsequent pollution then I for one will stand by it.

I appreciate that not all people feel this way and I understand that perspective, I think a better way for Disney to approach the topic would've been to offer a 'green' solution and replace the plastic bag with a paper or renewable resource alternative. Cutting it out and saying its 'best for the environment' leaves a lot of people suspicious and bitter about cost saving and penny pinching.... hence the varying degrees of response in this thread.

They just did something similar in Australia!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...oppers-customers-abuse-violence-a8425836.html

It had obvious mixed reviews lol.....

Here is a fantastic documentary, it will set some context and highlight the issues. It's on netflix and it is well worth a watch.

Well, another way to frame it - you wouldn't say that people will always get sick, so we should do away with healthcare. The perfect is the enemy of the good and all that.

While I agree that we won't be going back to the days of bringing burlap sacks to the general store anytime soon, it is possible to substantially reduce plastic consumption, if you don't buy frozen meals, bring reusable mesh bags to buy produce, and so on. They even make reusable silicone ziplock bags these days!

You didn't quote my post, but my interpretation of the posts you quoted (which is also my opinion) is that Disney did not mastermind this - I agree they are late on this, and I have seen this in many other stores as well, but I do think the companies who implement this are doing so more from a cost savings perspective than an environmental perspective. I doubt we'd see this trend grow as much as we are if it were more expensive to the company. The companies doing this are for-profit businesses. They are not non-profits tasking themselves with saving the planet. I think it's a win-win for the company - they can market this as "going green", and anyone who argues against it will then look like the bad guy, and they can save costs to boot. Any environmental impact this has is just a residual benefit for them - not their primary reason for instituting this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter