No more bags

The store (and company) wants to cut down on the amount of plastics that they use. This is a positive thing and much better for the environment. This is not debatable.

Now, when one is shopping at the mall (most Disney Stores are in malls), odds are you have already purchased something at another store, and have it in a bag. When you buy a shirt, or mug, or whatever at the Disney Store, you don't need another bag. You can just put it in to the bag you already have. If The Disney Store didn't charge for the bags, people would mindlessly (out of habit, perhaps) accept the bag from Disney without thinking about just using the bag they already have in their hand. Additionally, if Disney only charged 10 cents or 15 cents, it wouldn't be enough for most people to even notice or care about, so they might just get the bag, even if they don't need it, out of habit or whatever. But, one dollar is enough to force people to think about whether they really need the bag or not, so I'm sure that is why they decided on that amount.

Without financial incentive, people will rarely change their bad habits.

This thread is proof of that.
Have you ever looked at the trash bins during the Food and Wine Festival? They should start there.

But a ton of mall stores use paper, they could do the same. I'm all for getting rid of plastic bags and I decline them whenever practical, but Disney has so much waste elsewhere, I have a hard time believing this is purely an environmental decision.

Although, this may be my fault because I always give them terrible marks on their environment questions on the surveys.

Last edited:
Aldis grocery has been doing this FOREVER - plastic bags are .15 cents each and paper are .05 cents each or ypu can bring your own

its really not a big deal in the long run!
They also don't hide the fact that it is a cost reduction measure. I agree it isn't the end of the world, I just don't like corporation speak/finger pointing.

Everywhere in Chicago you need to bring your own bags. At Target they give you a (teeny) discount when you use your own bags. Every store charges you ( 2 cents, or something small) if you need to use their plastic bags. Every store has reusable bags available to buy for as low as $1. Department stores gave paper bags at Christmas, but I think even that's gone. Disney stores have to follow the same rules as everyone else if the town now requires reusable bags.

Sorry, but you don't get to blame everything on "the Mouse".

Keep in mind that not everywhere is like Chicago.

Where I live, plastic bags are everywhere, except for Aldi, of course.

Personally, I prefer paper bags, since i'm sick and tired of cheap plastic bags that break when I try to pick up my groceries.

What I don't buy is that Disney is doing this to "go green." They are doing it to save money on the costs of plastic bags, and then make more money by people buying the replacement bags. "Go green" is how they sell the idea to the public.

What I don't buy is that Disney is doing this to "go green." They are doing it to save money on the costs of plastic bags, and then make more money by people buying the replacement bags. "Go green" is how they sell the idea to the public.

Why can't it be both? There are lots of ways they could cut costs, but doing it in an area that is also better for the environment seems like a good angle for everyone

And in the end, how much are they saving by not providing bags? Plus the bags were themed to the brand and were probably seen as a marketing tool which they are now losing.

Have you ever looked at the trash bins during the Food and Wine Festival? They should start there.

But a ton of mall stores use paper, they could do the same. I'm all for getting rid of plastic bags and I decline them whenever practical, but Disney has so much waste elsewhere, I have a hard time believing this is purely an environmental decision.

Just think of the millions of magic bands that are probably thrown in trash every year.

Yeah, Wal-mart needs to get with the program on reusable bags. They don't even offer them for purchase at their stores. For mall shopping, btw, they make thin bags that fold up into a small rectangle that are much easier to keep in your purse (they also come in handy during all kinds of random moments when you realize you need an extra bag for whatever reason.)

The Wal-marts in around here (SW PA) have reusable bags. They're on racks as soon as you enter either door. Insulated and non-insulated. I assumed all Wal-marts had similar setups and offered similar items. Guess not!

I don't have an issue with the elimination of the plastic shopping bags, but let's call a spade a spade. A company can market this as a "going green" for good PR. Meanwhile, they're actually seeing an uptick in profit and reduction in costs by implementing this. No more need for the company to purchase and stock the plastic bags, and more and more people will purchase the reusable bags. I never bring a reusable bag to the mall, so I would definitely be part of their target market that would cough up the 99 cents to buy one on the spot.

Keep in mind that not everywhere is like Chicago.

Where I live, plastic bags are everywhere, except for Aldi, of course.

Personally, I prefer paper bags, since i'm sick and tired of cheap plastic bags that break when I try to pick up my groceries.

My point was that if you are going to a Disney Store in Chicago - bring your own bag as all stores in Chicago must now charge for use of plastic bags. Ban, taxed. If the town a Disney Store is located in has this ban/ordinance you will be paying for plastic bags. As it will no doubt eventually happen in just about every city in the US, Disney isn't doing anything nefarious by making this change to all their stores (if that is what is happening).

And yes, the whole ban/ordinance was brought about in an effort to go green. Everywhere. Not just Disney. It's too bad people have such a problem with spending $1.99 to buy a reusable bag to save the environment - which in the end is what matters.

The Wal-marts in around here (SW PA) have reusable bags. They're on racks as soon as you enter either door. Insulated and non-insulated. I assumed all Wal-marts had similar setups and offered similar items. Guess not!
Same w/ WalMart in central DE - racks of bags everywhere near the checkout areas...I also presumed it was kinda standard.

In the small town I live closest to they have "outlawed" plastic bags. I'm not sure if affects anyone to terribly bad, the town is so anti-business (unless you are a small, specialty type place) that most folks drive into Delaware to do their shopping. Plastic bags+no sales tax+stores that actually have stuff you need= more business.

Same w/ WalMart in central DE - racks of bags everywhere near the checkout areas...I also presumed it was kinda standard.

In the small town I live closest to they have "outlawed" plastic bags. I'm not sure if affects anyone to terribly bad, the town is so anti-business (unless you are a small, specialty type place) that most folks drive into Delaware to do their shopping. Plastic bags+no sales tax+stores that actually have stuff you need= more business.

You must be in Chestertown :-)

Why can't it be both? There are lots of ways they could cut costs, but doing it in an area that is also better for the environment seems like a good angle for everyone

And in the end, how much are they saving by not providing bags? Plus the bags were themed to the brand and were probably seen as a marketing tool which they are now losing.

I remember hearing Ben and Jerry speak ages ago (probably 20 years ago) And they said how they kept getting accusations that their environmental/energy/green policies were really just corporate sales-pitches. And at first they would try to disagree with that, and insist they were doing it for altruistic/environmental motives. Then they finally got wise and started promoting their ideas to other corporations *as* cost saving and marketing initiatives. They figured who cares *why* a company is doing something good, as long as they actually are.

OK.
I have a question.
How are we going to eliminate the billions of non recyclable plastic containers sold in every store in the country every day.
There are an estimated sixty million water bottles alone thrown in landfills, incinerated, or just tossed in the streets every day in the U.S. not to mention the hundreds of millions of sheet plastic food containers holding jerky, cheese, meat, snacks, and millions of other items like garbage bags and disposable diapers that have outer linings made of sheet plastic.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com...cycling-waste-ocean-trash-debris-environment/
On the other hand the reusable bags can be positively dangerous and have a greater impact on the environment than the disposable plastic bags.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/to-tote-or-note-to-tote/498557/
I'm all for a return to recyclable, renewable, paper bags and containers that were the norm fifty years ago.
Of course then all of the tree huggers will have conniption fits over the use of trees to produce those items.

I agree that plastic beyond just reusable bags is a huge problem, but don't think that means it deserves a 'throw in the towel' attitude. (Regarding water bottles - doubt you'll be happy to hear this, lol, but I think they are starting to promote and implement bans on them in some places, like San Fran - have you noticed the huge proliferation of those cute metal water bottles in stores?)

I do think there are better and worse ways to implement reusable bags. I really like the way that Wegmans does it. In addition to researching the materials, I feel they promote bag use via positive reinforcement. They have cool new designs for various seasons and holidays, and don't force you to use the bags, but often make a positive comment when you do.

I remember hearing Ben and Jerry speak ages ago (probably 20 years ago) And they said how they kept getting accusations that their environmental/energy/green policies were really just corporate sales-pitches. And at first they would try to disagree with that, and insist they were doing it for altruistic/environmental motives. Then they finally got wise and started promoting their ideas to other corporations *as* cost saving and marketing initiatives. They figured who cares *why* a company is doing something good, as long as they actually are.

and I would certainly rather Disney increase profits but eliminating plastic bags vs raising prices/decreasing services or something

Well that's funny - I guess I just assumed it was a Wal-mart thing. There's another one in my area that's about the same distance away, I'll have to check that out and see if they offer reusable bags.

I agree that plastic beyond just reusable bags is a huge problem, but don't think that means it deserves a 'throw in the towel' attitude. (Regarding water bottles - doubt you'll be happy to hear this, lol, but I think they are starting to promote and implement bans on them in some places, like San Fran - have you noticed the huge proliferation of those cute metal water bottles in stores?)

I do think there are better and worse ways to implement reusable bags. I really like the way that Wegmans does it. In addition to researching the materials, I feel they promote bag use via positive reinforcement. They have cool new designs for various seasons and holidays, and don't force you to use the bags, but often make a positive comment when you do.
I'd be perfectly happy if they'd eliminate plastic water bottles.
I prefer to use an insulated Thermos bottle.
Our trip to WDW in 2016 was the last time I'll be bothered by cases of water bottles in the room and the refrigerator.
I'll be taking a small Brita or Zero Water pitcher from now on. :-)

Aldis grocery has been doing this FOREVER - plastic bags are .15 cents each and paper are .05 cents each or ypu can bring your own

its really not a big deal in the long run!
The cheap Disney store reusable bags are great for Aldi. I use those and the freezer bags Aldi sells whenever I shop there.

As for going green getting rid of the plastic bag is not a bad thing. Some recycle centers cannot recycle the plastic bags. Not all recycle centers are the same. Those plastic bags may fall apart easily but they won’t decompose. I don’t see it as a cost cutting measure because those bags are super cheap. Our oceans and fresh water lakes are dying because of plastic. Plastic straws are also being phased out around here, too.

So I just shopped there and got a plastic bag. The next customer they tried pushing the reusables on them and told them they had to finish their inventory first which is why I had it. That and I only brought enough money for one thing since I didn’t have my card on me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter