No more bags

OT for this actual thread but still sorta on topic. I'm wondering how Samsung for example will do with their new initiative to take out plastic in packaging from their products. A cell phone I think is fairly easy to do that while also providing structural protection of the device. A fridge? A tv? That I'm more interesting to see how they will still provide that protection of the product.

On that note though I think Disney could do a lot of that in their products.

I definitely think that changing their pacakaging for a lot of toys that are designed to display the item as much as protect it I think would have a much greater impact than getting rid of plastic bags. Much harder to “re use” that packaging as well

Maybe you are good about reusing them but I would be surprised if the majority of them get reused vs just thrown out .... especially when they wrap up small items in a small plastic bag and then put that in a larger plastic bag, etc
No I'm fully aware that other people aren't very good and I mean on that note I know I could personally do better. Was more or less responding to your wording of your comment :)

I never did think it was all that great to just wrap plastic bags around stuff. I know they are just trying to protect the items though lol.

No I'm fully aware that other people aren't very good and I mean on that note I know I could personally do better. Was more or less responding to your wording of your comment :)

I never did think it was all that great to just wrap plastic bags around stuff. I know they are just trying to protect the items though lol.

Well, I still think it is better than not if everyone reduces the amount of plastic they use - even if you do reuse it at some point it needs to be thrown away

And like I said, i hope they always have some for people for whom it is the best option (and wanting them to reuse is a good reason) ... like with the straws I think simply asking if you need one vs just giving it automatically would make a big difference

Well, I still think it is better than not if everyone reduces the amount of plastic they use - even if you do reuse it at some point it needs to be thrown away

And like I said, i hope they always have some for people for whom it is the best option (and wanting them to reuse is a good reason) ... like with the straws I think simply asking if you need one vs just giving it automatically would make a big difference
Agreed. I think a lot of it is we, as a society, got used to things the way they were and that doesn't mean they were really a good thing but as per usual instead of a gradual adjustment it's like 'no you've been terrible all these years stop using plastic everything' (I'm totally using a hyberpole here).

Asking for a bag, asking for a straw, heck even asking for a receipt goes a long way IMO (I'm meaning there's places out there where the info is electronically stored so it doesn't automatically spit out a receipt the person has to request the machine to do that if you wanted one) and would make at least some sort of a dent. You're going to find a lot less people resistent now that is if you asked them about a bag rather than said 'oh you want to take this out of the store in a bag-that'll be $1.00'. Then if it was gradual you'd likely find less and less resistence if/when the day came to where bags were around across the nation as a majority rather than a minority it presently is.

I definitely think that changing their pacakaging for a lot of toys that are designed to display the item as much as protect it I think would have a much greater impact than getting rid of plastic bags. Much harder to “re use” that packaging as well
Def.

I got this about 1 1/2 months ago for one of the local DISers as part of a Christmas gift exchange. Now he kept it in the plastic for now at least and I'm assuming that's because it's considered a limited edition/collectible type thing but just using this as an example:
upload_2019-1-29_9-42-22.png

I don't think they could have completely removed the plastic but I'm guessing they could have figured out a way to use at least less plastic and yet still provide protection. But I'm guessing it was an injection molding or something similar and was far cheaper to do it this way than to do something a lot more manual in ensuring protection without tons of plastic.

OT for this actual thread but still sorta on topic. I'm wondering how Samsung for example will do with their new initiative to take out plastic in packaging from their products. A cell phone I think is fairly easy to do that while also providing structural protection of the device. A fridge? A tv? That I'm more interesting to see how they will still provide that protection of the product.

On that note though I think Disney could do a lot of that in their products.
That's what really annoys me about Disney's July announcement. It made absolutely no commitment to reducing or eliminating the amount of unrecyclable plastic that's in their merchandise packaging, and exploring alternatives like bioplastic, and making more repurposable and eco-friendly packaging like the first wave Moana doll I got in the Disney Store in Times Square 2 years ago, during the Moana release promotion. I was impressed with how it used 70% PCR paper, plant-based inks, easily-separatable packaging for recycling (especially for where plastic packaging can be recycled), and most of all, the fact that the packaging can even convert into a boat. And then when the homogenised packaging came, I was dismayed at how it didn't adopt the same ideas from the first wave Moana doll, and how it was almost entirely plastic (my area cannot recycle that type of packaging).

While the plastic bags can be reused (and I refuse to call them 'single-use'; I call them 'conflated single-use, but is reusable, and has high reuse potential'), and I never throw away any bags I get, especially Disney ones because I love collecting the many different designs they have (I have many Store ones from all the years, and some Parks ones too, mostly from DLP and the time I went to WDW 12 years ago), the packaging almost certainly never gets reused, and granted, while I can understand the whole straw and lid thing too (they also get disposed of 99% of the time), too much focus is on these and yet there's never enough focus on packaging, and all that greenwashing and virtue-signalling for the bottom line is what really drives me up the wall. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm all for solutions, but solutions must be balanced and please both sides (those who favour convenience vs those who favour the hairshirt route), and focus must especially not get lost on packaging.

the packaging almost certainly never gets reused, and granted, while I can understand the whole straw and lid thing too (they also get disposed of 99% of the time), too much focus is on these and yet there's never enough focus on packaging, and all that greenwashing and virtue-signalling for the bottom line is what really drives me up the wall. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm all for solutions, but solutions must be balanced and please both sides (those who favour convenience vs those who favour the hairshirt route), and focus must especially not get lost on packaging.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We stopped in the Gift Shop next to the Guest Services right outside Epcot and they didn’t have plastic bags. The cast member asked if we wanted to buy a tote bag for $2.

It would be difficult to travel with tote bags to Disney.

What about paper bags with handles like Whole Foods.

Is it possible to have purchased-souvenirs held at the front of the park, to be picked up while exiting?

Buy online could probably be a good solution. A Disney app where you can scan an item at a gift shop and have it shipped home.
Maybe they just ran out of bags, despite the fact that multiple merch CMs online have said plastic would still be available on request. Again, I seriously doubt they'd eliminate the option (they'd still need the bags anyways due to the resort delivery service), because how many people would be willing to lug around empty reusables all day for what is really a secondary activity? Going to the supermarket to shop for groceries is a primary activity, and that's one scenario where it would definitely call for reusable bags, particularly in areas or certain chains like Aldi and Lidl where they charge for bags or places like membership wholesale warehouses where they've never provided bags from the onset.

As for paper bags, I don't think they'd go down well in the majority of WDW, because when it rains, they would fall apart and soil the purchases inside, though they are already used in a tiny handful of locations. Not to mention that paper has a very heavy carbon footprint, and production is just as environmentally-damaging as careless disposal of plastic, which can be mitigated through improved recycling and reuse, and plastic bags especially have a very high reuse potential due to their waterproof properties, durability compared to paper, and (subjectively), having attractive designs that motivate the user to reuse the bag more.

I think we'll just take a bunch of wadded up Wal Mart bags on our next trip.
It'll be fun to see how WDW responds to their merch being carried around in another retailers bags. :rolleyes1

As I mentioned in the news thread; Pandora has reusables already and has had them about a year or so. I have one in the trunk of my car that gets used for various things. Here's an article that shows them; Pandoran Bag. Right now they only have one size.

This one is cute.

new bag cost $1.00 at the beach club market. Looks nice but paying for a bag ?

This one is ok. For a buck, I'm sure it'll get plenty of use. Stores charge a nickle for plastic bags in my county, so most people carry around all kinds of bags or walk out of stores carrying naked items.

Agreed. I think a lot of it is we, as a society, got used to things the way they were and that doesn't mean they were really a good thing but as per usual instead of a gradual adjustment it's like 'no you've been terrible all these years stop using plastic everything' (I'm totally using a hyberpole here).

Asking for a bag, asking for a straw, heck even asking for a receipt goes a long way IMO (I'm meaning there's places out there where the info is electronically stored so it doesn't automatically spit out a receipt the person has to request the machine to do that if you wanted one) and would make at least some sort of a dent. You're going to find a lot less people resistent now that is if you asked them about a bag rather than said 'oh you want to take this out of the store in a bag-that'll be $1.00'. Then if it was gradual you'd likely find less and less resistence if/when the day came to where bags were around across the nation as a majority rather than a minority it presently is.

I love that CVS does this. You opt in for electronic receipts and never have to hunt them down when you need to return something. Even better- you don't have to deal with a mile of irrelevant coupons that expire in two days. I used to always feel guilty about the miles of paperwork that came with buying things there.

This one is cute.

This one is ok. For a buck, I'm sure it'll get plenty of use. Stores charge a nickle for plastic bags in my county, so most people carry around all kinds of bags or walk out of stores carrying naked items.

I love that CVS does this. You opt in for electronic receipts and never have to hunt them down when you need to return something. Even better- you don't have to deal with a mile of irrelevant coupons that expire in two days. I used to always feel guilty about the miles of paperwork that came with buying things there.
Same in the UK, even though in certain supermarkets here, there is a bit of a class complex (one would dare take an Aldi bag to a Waitrose, which is like our Publix), though I always avoid it with my Disney Store reusables.

As for receipts, Apple has that system too in their stores. Their environmental approach has far more truth, and it even shows in the packaging, oh, and they actively recycle their packaging and products, even plastic.

Same in the UK, even though in certain supermarkets here, there is a bit of a class complex (one would dare take an Aldi bag to a Waitrose, which is like our Publix), though I always avoid it with my Disney Store reusables.

As for receipts, Apple has that system too in their stores. Their environmental approach has far more truth, and it even shows in the packaging, oh, and they actively recycle their packaging and products, even plastic.
I love the way Apple does their sales. There are a few other places where I’ve experienced a similar transaction format and loved how quick and easy it was to pay and exit the store instead of waiting on a line.

There is a place here called Zwanger-Persiri Radiology, where people go for X-rays, sonograms, ultrasounds and those sorts of tests. When you get changed, your clothes go into a good quality, big, recyclable bag. When you leave, you’re told to take the bag. They also have really nice, colorful gel pens that they distribute as well. Good advertising I guess because you see these bags (and pens) everywhere. I like using the bag because its sturdy and large. But, I always think that its sort of odd/sad to see the medical bag in a grocery store.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter