No more bags

Then provide biodegradable bags for free.

This is a scam.

Cut costs and upcharge customers for something already built into the price of the merch they are buying and claim it as an environmental initiative.

lol going " green "

I'm not carrying around reusable bags with me everywhere I go, just incase I decide to go shopping

If you're not going to give me a bag to carry all the stuff I was going to buy from you, then I won't buy from you.. Simple as that

If there are people who love to carry around reusable bags, then heres to you, but don't force it upon me

The store (and company) wants to cut down on the amount of plastics that they use. This is a positive thing and much better for the environment. This is not debatable.

Now, when one is shopping at the mall (most Disney Stores are in malls), odds are you have already purchased something at another store, and have it in a bag. When you buy a shirt, or mug, or whatever at the Disney Store, you don't need another bag. You can just put it in to the bag you already have. If The Disney Store didn't charge for the bags, people would mindlessly (out of habit, perhaps) accept the bag from Disney without thinking about just using the bag they already have in their hand. Additionally, if Disney only charged 10 cents or 15 cents, it wouldn't be enough for most people to even notice or care about, so they might just get the bag, even if they don't need it, out of habit or whatever. But, one dollar is enough to force people to think about whether they really need the bag or not, so I'm sure that is why they decided on that amount.

Without financial incentive, people will rarely change their bad habits.

This thread is proof of that.

lol going " green "

I'm not carrying around reusable bags with me everywhere I go, just incase I decide to go shopping

If you're not going to give me a bag to carry all the stuff I was going to buy from you, then I won't buy from you.. Simple as that

If there are people who love to carry around reusable bags, then heres to you, but don't force it upon me

I think a lot of this depends on where you are from. My parents in CT always, always have 5-10 reusable bags in both their cars. All their friends do, and it's just become second nature to grab them before going in to the grocery store or to grab one when they go shopping. Down here in AL, it's pretty rare, though I see it more in grocery stores and I keep one or two in my car as well. I go past the grocery store on the way home from work, so I'm the designated "can you just stop and get" adult in the family. I'm slowly training myself to remember to grab one of those bags before going in.

Like anything else, it seems like a monumental pain when you first think about it, but it becomes second nature pretty fast. And I think it's generational. My kids remind me all the time to take a bag when we get out of the car, just like I used to remind my parents to put on seat belts.

Anyway, I'm glad stores are making this change. It's like when recycling first started with garbage pick up. Everyone groaned and complained. Now it's just part of life for most people and we are better off for it.

I can't help but be skeptical at the way that they are choosing to 'go green.' The parks alone are using incredible amounts of the world's resources. Have they considered switching to paper bags, which would be better than no bag? I can't imagine that the average person shopping in a mall is going to have their own bag but they're also not going to want to walk around with purchases in their hands. So what will happen? Disney will sell a lot of those cheap bags.

The parks are working on it as well lately. The large solar array at WDW and the removal of straws at AK are two steps. That's not to say they aren't huge energy sucks, they are. And every cruise ship they build is another massive source of belching pollution, but they are taking steps in areas to make a change. People just don't always appreciate their choices, which I completely understand, especially with the room sensor AC controllers.

I can't help but be skeptical at the way that they are choosing to 'go green.' The parks alone are using incredible amounts of the world's resources. Have they considered switching to paper bags, which would be better than no bag? I can't imagine that the average person shopping in a mall is going to have their own bag but they're also not going to want to walk around with purchases in their hands. So what will happen? Disney will sell a lot of those cheap bags.

lol going " green "

The store (and company) wants to cut down on the amount of plastics that they use. This is a positive thing and much better for the environment. This is not debatable.

Now, when one is shopping at the mall (most Disney Stores are in malls), odds are you have already purchased something at another store, and have it in a bag. When you buy a shirt, or mug, or whatever at the Disney Store, you don't need another bag. You can just put it in to the bag you already have. If The Disney Store didn't charge for the bags, people would mindlessly (out of habit, perhaps) accept the bag from Disney without thinking about just using the bag they already have in their hand. Additionally, if Disney only charged 10 cents or 15 cents, it wouldn't be enough for most people to even notice or care about, so they might just get the bag, even if they don't need it, out of habit or whatever. But, one dollar is enough to force people to think about whether they really need the bag or not, so I'm sure that is why they decided on that amount.

I honestly agree with both sides - in the end, less plastic bags is a good thing but they are also saving money ... those are the best plans for companies and generally what motivate them: if it makes us look good by being "green" but also save money, win-win

For example, my company recently installed the largest solar panel field in the county ... now, it makes them look great and fits in with their "sustainability" mission - but they were very obvious that the system will has a life span of 17 years and will pay for itself after 10 - so it makes financial sense as well

Very easy way to make an extra million while using "green" as the reason so you don't question them.

:earsboy: Bill

This. Saying that you are going green and phasing out plastic bags while at the same time charging customers for a bag is a good way to make more money.

As a friend of mine says, "Never underestimate the greed of the Mouse."

This. Saying that you are going green and phasing out plastic bags while at the same time charging customers for a bag is a good way to make more money.

As a friend of mine says, "Never underestimate the greed of the Mouse."

Everywhere in Chicago you need to bring your own bags. At Target they give you a (teeny) discount when you use your own bags. Every store charges you ( 2 cents, or something small) if you need to use their plastic bags. Every store has reusable bags available to buy for as low as $1. Department stores gave paper bags at Christmas, but I think even that's gone. Disney stores have to follow the same rules as everyone else if the town now requires reusable bags.

Sorry, but you don't get to blame everything on "the Mouse".

Everywhere in Chicago you need to bring your own bags. At Target they give you a (teeny) discount when you use your own bags. Every store charges you ( 2 cents, or something small) if you need to use their plastic bags. Every store has reusable bags available to buy for as low as $1. Department stores gave paper bags at Christmas, but I think even that's gone. Disney stores have to follow the same rules as everyone else if the town now requires reusable bags.

Sorry, but you don't get to blame everything on "the Mouse".

True, some jurisdiction require the phase out of plastics, I don't blame Disney for the regulations passed by governments. I do think that they are greedy and that they are taking advantage of every possible way to ad to their 9 billion dollar profits. They are very good at deflecting to others for the reason for change. They are in business after all to make money.

True, some jurisdiction require the phase out of plastics, I don't blame Disney for the regulations passed by governments. I do think that they are greedy and that they are taking advantage of every possible way to ad to their 9 billion dollar profits. They are very good at deflecting to others for the reason for change. They are in business after all to make money.

Don't disagree with that but in some states it's law or becoming law that you charge for each use of a plastic bag (some are 5 cents, some 10 cents, etc.). So if you are looking to keep your store policies aligned, it's just easier to follow one rule universally than have different rules in different states (or even municipalities as some have implemented their own laws). Will they spin it as "being green and environment conscious? And at the same time are they going to save a ton on plastic while selling their own bags? Yes on all accounts. I'm ok with it b/c I've gotten in the habit of leaving bags in my car at all times and if for some reason I'm buying something spontaneously and don't have a bag, I'll just pay the 10 cents for a plastic one and then recycle it.

Don't disagree with that but in some states it's law or becoming law that you charge for each use of a plastic bag (some are 5 cents, some 10 cents, etc.). So if you are looking to keep your store policies aligned, it's just easier to follow one rule universally than have different rules in different states (or even municipalities as some have implemented their own laws). Will they spin it as "being green and environment conscious? And at the same time are they going to save a ton on plastic while selling their own bags? Yes on all accounts. I'm ok with it b/c I've gotten in the habit of leaving bags in my car at all times and if for some reason I'm buying something spontaneously and don't have a bag, I'll just pay the 10 cents for a plastic one and then recycle it.

Or I just walk home from Target with a bottle of wine in my hands and a smile on my face. :rotfl:

This is already in place in Shanghai Disneyland. Wouldn't be surprised if this carried over to the U.S parks at some point soon. We were only there for a few days, so paying an extra dollar at checkout wasn't a huge deal but I can see this cost really adding up for longer trips.

lol going " green "

My entire town as a whole did this so you couldn't even shop in my town. Some of the others nearby are doing the same thing. So in some areas isn't not even the stores choice.

Some stores offer paper bags you can buy some don't offer bags at all now so you bring your own or just carry stuff out (most of those are things like gas stations though not the kind of place you are likely to have bought more then you can easily carry in your hands)

This practice is becoming more common everywhere, and I’m all for it. Plastic bags are evil for real. They don’t degrade quickly and harm wildlife.

Agreed! They really are straight up evil, as are plastic straws. I don't claim to know whether Disney's motivation is ecological or financial, but either way, the end result is good. They're horrible for marine life and end up killing a lot of animals.

I feel like stores think you are going to steal something when you bring your own bags. Especially Walmart, ours will ask to check them when you leave. And many times when I'm shopping at the mall, it is not a planned trip.

Yeah, Wal-mart needs to get with the program on reusable bags. They don't even offer them for purchase at their stores. For mall shopping, btw, they make thin bags that fold up into a small rectangle that are much easier to keep in your purse (they also come in handy during all kinds of random moments when you realize you need an extra bag for whatever reason.)

lol going " green "

Right .. Let's make "in store" shopping even more inconvenient and push people to online sales. By saving the planet the store could see less and less business and eventually close down. Let's not forget that a lot of stores don't like you to bring in "outside" bags because .. well .. shoplifting. That's probably the a big reason that stores started to provide their own bags.
The stores will also lose a lot of the "free" advertising they get from bags. You see that giant Disney Store bag someone else is carrying around a mall and you think "Hey, I need to check out that store". That's why stores hand out bags hand over fist (especially at a mall).

The problem isn't the bags themselves . .it is really the use of them.

Don't give me a bag if I am going to get one or two boxed items. I often have to decline a bag for my handful of items.
Ask first before offering a bag .. if I have one .. I don't need another one.
Don't put 1 or 2 items in every bag giving me about 12 bags for not many items (looking at you Wal-mart).

OK.
I have a question.
How are we going to eliminate the billions of non recyclable plastic containers sold in every store in the country every day.
There are an estimated sixty million water bottles alone thrown in landfills, incinerated, or just tossed in the streets every day in the U.S. not to mention the hundreds of millions of sheet plastic food containers holding jerky, cheese, meat, snacks, and millions of other items like garbage bags and disposable diapers that have outer linings made of sheet plastic.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com...cycling-waste-ocean-trash-debris-environment/
On the other hand the reusable bags can be positively dangerous and have a greater impact on the environment than the disposable plastic bags.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/to-tote-or-note-to-tote/498557/
I'm all for a return to recyclable, renewable, paper bags and containers that were the norm fifty years ago.
Of course then all of the tree huggers will have conniption fits over the use of trees to produce those items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter