• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No longer will use AirTran

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do have a right to complain when service isn't up to par. Absolutely.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
  • the airlines can't control the weather, or the Air Traffic Controllers. You go when you're told/allowed to go
  • you don't want to be on a flight with a mechanical problem - even if it turns out to simply be a malfunctioning warning light - until the problem is checked and resolved.
I love JetBlue. I won't fly anywhere they don't go. But I've run into delays with them, and despite being signed up for notifications, I heard nothing until I got to the airport:
  • three+ hour delays at JFK/EWR/PHL meant the plane I had to board to connect in Washington wasn't going leave PHL until after I was supposed to be connecting; I spent eight hours in the airport, my luggage spent twenty
  • strong headwinds required all westbound cross-country flights to land in Denver to refuel... and then be deiced
  • the aforementioned three hour delay on the return flight on that same trip.
  • a Song (so, a few years ago) flight delayed two hours for NO reason.
  • a Delta flight where a warning light came on during the inbound flight.
  • then there was the American flight that stopped in Washington and was delayed sevaral hours because of some ring thing in the engine.
  • and the Midway flight that was the only one out of RDU not weather-cancelled; the flight crew even boarded... only to be be cancelled after every other passenger in the terminal had already been sent to hotels :rolleyes1

Now, granted, the latter few weren't JetBlue and the last didn't provide the airline with reasonable warning time. But in all the JetBlue cases, they could have notified me but didn't. On that three hour return delay, I'd just fractured a rib. No sympathy. They wouldn't let me change my flight. Well, they would have... but at a cost :teeth:. Oh, well. At least once the plane boarded it was only a third full.

Anyway, delayed flights and lack of notification aren't going to make me refuse to fly any airline.

I had a 8:13 flight out of Orlando to Indianapolis that did not leave until 1:44 AM? WE were told every thing from Weather to something was wrong with the plane and never told the truth? I spoke to a Man who runs the food cart next to AirTran gate 93 and he said this happens every night with AirTran anything after 8Pm is delayed for some reason. I will never ever fly with them again, the customer service agents were rude and could not tell us the truth if they had to. I am glad we did not start our Vacation with AirTran because that would of been a terrible way to start our vacation. Southwest I will never stray again.

What a sad sad company AirTran is..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

How do you know you weren't told the truth? The aircraft ABSOLUTELY could have been delayed for both weather and then maintenace in the same day. Not only has my DH, a longtime pilot expeirenced that, but I PERSONALLY have experienced it. I actually got on the flight after a weather delay to be told to deplane since they found something wrong when the pilot was going through his pre-flight check list.

You're lucky the pilots didn't time out for the night and you were able to fly out with a 5 hour delay!

And the only service your airline ticket gets you is transportation from point A to point B on a certain day. The time is not guaranteed. It states that in your contract of carriage.

Having said that, delays suck. We all know that. But you cannot blame the airine for a weather delay. Or a maintaince delay. Or a delay because the flight crew has timed out. That all goes under the heading Stuff Happens and we have to deal with it.

I am just saying that the AirTran Gods could of done a better job of customer service and contacted us? I am sure Pilot Wife your husband does have stories to tell and I am certain his Airline was never at fault? I guess the truth is no longer used in customer service? I am grateful to the Air Tran Gods that I finally made it home? I again will never ever set foot on any AirTran plane because they are terrible at customer relations and are nothing but a bunch of liars from top to bottom.

Having said that, delays suck. We all know that. But you cannot blame the airine for a weather delay. Or a maintaince delay. Or a delay because the flight crew has timed out. That all goes under the heading Stuff Happens and we have to deal with it.

You are absolutely correct, but what are the chances of all of those things happening on the same night for the same flight? The thing that airlines don't get is that customers would be more forgiving if the airlines were just honest with them. However, when they keep changing the story it is hard to put any faith in the airline.

In my experience? Not that small. The maintenance delay won't be discovered until you try to actually do something with the plane---after the weather delay is cleared. If the two together take long enough, the crew pumpkins.

I've had similar things happen a couple times, and I don't fly *that* much.

Your point about "tell me what's going on" is well-taken. Several years back, when Northwest adopted their "passenger bill of rights" or whatever they called it, they promised to tell passengers within 15 minutes the reason for any delay. That didn't stop the delays, but it still made a difference---just feeling like we knew what was going on made things better. But, the story *can* legitimately change as things progress.

I booked a roundtrip flight with Airtran back in late March for my trip to the Food & Wine Festival Oct 16-20. I chose the return flight since it had a short layover of 45 minutes in Atlanta coming back to Charlotte. Well, each month that layover got longer and longer - they extended my layover 4x to the tune of 2.5 hours. I called Airtran and indicated that this was no longer convenient and to cancel the return flight. No reason was ever given why this flight was delayed 4x. I kept the flight to Orlando and got a return flight for just $2 more (after my AT refund) from Delta.

I just used Airtran for the first time for my early July trip and they never made any changes to either flight and the reservations were made in March as well. I guess you just have to take your chances.

I never said his airline wasn't ever at fault. But I can tell you that my DH is honest with his passengers. He HATES being lied to and make sure that the people on his planes know what's going on. But I kno there are times that throughout the course of his day a number of things happen to him (maintence and weather related) that will screw up each flight; something affects one flight, it is bound to affect another (I know this because he texts me throughout the day and if he's having a bad day he vents to me instead of his crew since they don't need to see him frustrated since he's the captain and feels he shouldn't do that).

Oh and he doesn't work for airtran, so yes, this WILL happen with other airlines. Will is happen to you again on another one? Maybe, maybe not; depends on how often you fly. But if you fly quite often, I'm sure the odds are it will happen, so please be prepared.

I booked a roundtrip flight with Airtran back in late March for my trip to the Food & Wine Festival Oct 16-20. I chose the return flight since it had a short layover of 45 minutes in Atlanta coming back to Charlotte. Well, each month that layover got longer and longer - they extended my layover 4x to the tune of 2.5 hours. I called Airtran and indicated that this was no longer convenient and to cancel the return flight. No reason was ever given why this flight was delayed 4x. I kept the flight to Orlando and got a return flight for just $2 more (after my AT refund) from Delta.

I just used Airtran for the first time for my early July trip and they never made any changes to either flight and the reservations were made in March as well. I guess you just have to take your chances.

Was there another flight on Airtran that would have worked for you? You could have made the change without any change fee.

I love Airtran for being able to make changes to my flights when Airtran changes their schedule at all. I am also going to MCO for F&W in October. We were to return home on October 25 on a morning flight and I changed my mind and decided we'd like to stay until evening. (We can eat our way around Epcot one more time!). Our flight was originally scheduled to leave at 9:53 am and was changed to 10:05 am since I booked it months ago. With that small change of 12 minutes, I was allowed to change to the 6:27 pm evening fligh instead. I consider that to be great customer service.

I appreciate all the comments from all of you travel experts. I do believe the food cart guy because we had a lengthy conversation and he cannot close until the last flight has departed for the night. I guess he was working an extra 4 hours and said this happens most nights, not this late but it does happen. I do understand weather is another story. We were told the plane was on route but was having issues and when it landed it would be set to go in 30 minutes and then the stories started. I asked why I was not contacted via my phone and the agent told me they did not do that , I said funny because I signed on for that service with AirTran. I was delayed 1 hr on the first leg of my trip by SouthWest and was contacted two times by them. I guess I am more upset with the lack of customer service all passengers received on that flight from Air Tran not just me. I had three tired children and if I would of been notified we may of been able to make other arrangements(another carrier or getting a room and going out the next morning) but those options were never given. I have a right to complain when service is not up to par? I am sure most of you would feel the same way if you were delayed as long as we were and no reason was given.What if Disney gave you this kind of service I am sure all of you would react the same way I did? Dave

Delta flight Rochester, NY to Melbourne, FL--February 2007...Travelers Me, DS (8) and DS (8 months).

Scheduled take off 6:30 AM--Delay due to mechanical issues.
In line ready to board--Delay due to pilot noticing missing static wick for the plane.
It's okay, we have an extra onboard. About 45 minutes to put it on.
Oops--not the right one...We're flying one in from Atlanta along with a mechanic.
Oops--that plane has a problem and is landing in Syracuse...Will take off as soon as it is fixed and deiced.
Plane in line to be deiced and will be here in less than an hour.
Plane arrives...static wick replaced...Crew has timed out for the day.
It is now 10:00 PM

15.5 hours in the Rochester airport alone with an 8 y/o and an 8 month old. Then into a hotel for the night and departure at 5:30 AM the next morning not knowing if I was going to have enough formula or diapers to get through.

What difference does it make if you know all of the delay reasons or not. You are still going to be delayed....

There were no other flights available anywhere all day into any airport because of a major snowstorm that had shut down airports for 3 days prior.

Sorry, I am finding it hard to have a lot of sympathy....things happen.....Do I still fly Delta.....of course several times, including next month....Things happen....

I had a 8:13 flight out of Orlando to Indianapolis that did not leave until 1:44 AM? WE were told every thing from Weather to something was wrong with the plane and never told the truth? I spoke to a Man who runs the food cart next to AirTran gate 93 and he said this happens every night with AirTran anything after 8Pm is delayed for some reason. I will never ever fly with them again, the customer service agents were rude and could not tell us the truth if they had to. I am glad we did not start our Vacation with AirTran because that would of been a terrible way to start our vacation. Southwest I will never stray again.

How do you know you weren't told the truth? Flights into Atlanta in the evening--yeah definately a weather issue! Atlanta is a huge hub for AirTran your plane probably couldn't get in or out. How do you know there wasn't a mechanical issue?

How do you know you weren't told the truth? Flights into Atlanta in the evening--yeah definately a weather issue! Atlanta is a huge hub for AirTran your plane probably couldn't get in or out. How do you know there wasn't a mechanical issue?

The OP's 8:13 p.m. flight from Orlando to Indianapolis was a non-stop.

Again and again we all were told different stories that just did not add up. I checked and no other AirLines were going to Indianapolis that evening? I understand things do happen but it sounds like this is common with AirTran? I might of stayed an extra day in Disney if we would of been told of any sort of delay, Southwest did so why cant AirTran? Why were other AirLines taking off and landing at that time I am sure if it was weather AirTran was not the only airline affected. I guess what I am saying is AirTran should of been up front with a delay and I would of been fine with that, but to lie to all passengers the way they did was just not right. It is sad to say this seems to be so common anymore look at congress and the President they also cannot tell the truth, so I guess I am asking to much from AirTran? I learned my lesson and will only use Southwest on any future flights. I am sorry to rant and rave but the America I fought for is not the same anymore and I feel sorry for our children who will have to suffer in this corrupt society. Thank you all for your advice and I promise I will use it in the future.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I am sorry to rant and rave but the America I fought for is not the same anymore and I feel sorry for our children who will have to suffer in this corrupt society.
First, thank you for your service.

However, I think we're only a few more posts away from Godwin's Law.

First, thank you for your service.

However, I think we're only a few more posts away from Godwin's Law.

:lmao:

Sorry, OP, for the direction the discussion has gone. I get it. You're not mad simply about the delays, you're mad that the airline doesn't have to have any common courtesy. I don't know why the public puts up with it!

David 1980 said:
Again and again we all were told different stories that just did not add up. I checked and no other AirLines were going to Indianapolis that evening? I understand things do happen but it sounds like this is common with AirTran? I might of stayed an extra day in Disney if we would of been told of any sort of delay, Southwest did so why cant AirTran? Why were other AirLines taking off and landing at that time I am sure if it was weather AirTran was not the only airline affected.
I'm confused. Are you asking if no other flights were going to Indianapolis that evening, or are you telling us none were? If there were other flights going, well, it's likely AirTran (just like Southwest) doesn't have any interline agreements so can't put you on a different airline's flight.

As for other flights taking off and landing, again I'm confused. Was the bad weather IN Orlando? That would be an airline-by-airline decision. Do you mean the weather at your departure airport was bad but other AirTran flights were departing but yours wasn't? Or were there other flights - both your airline and others - grounded? If the weather was bad enough, the Air Traffic Controllers may have allowed flights to land instead of circling around above the weather wasting fuel and risking the need for emergency landings, but not permit departures. This may NOT be the issue, but your post is confusing.

And aside from any weather issues anywhere - Central Florida, Indianapolis (where the food vendor absolutely couldn't know the weather conditions or the reason your flight's departure was delayed :rolleyes2: ), or anywhere en route - no other flight had YOUR plane's mechanical issues, or the potential problem with the crew timing out.

You wanted to be notified so you could make other arrangements - either arrive at the airport later, or stay in a hotel overnight? It wouldn't have mattered. The airline still wants the passengers to be at the airport in time for their original departure; things change and the flight may end up departing on time (I recall a Song flight several years ago where, when I got to the gate, the flight was delayed two hours(!); a half hour or so later, the status was updated to on-time - so any passenger planning on the delay missed the flight).

Ditto for a hotel - had you opted to spend the night in a hotel, either near the airport or at Walt Disney World, AirTran would have considered your action as YOU cancelling your flight. You would have been charged the $150 per passenger change fee along with the difference between your original tickets and the cost of the new (last minute) tickets.

You see one complaint about a company you can pass it off as that person having a bad experience. You start seeing multiple complaints from people all over the place and it's a lot harder to ignore. To list some actual facts from flightstats.com, AirTran has a 77% average on time rating. The lowest average delay for AirTran is 39.05 minutes and the average highest delay for AirTran is 315.60 minutes (that's 5 1/2 hours!).

Being a business traveler, one way I judge an airline is if business travelers like to fly them. I travel a lot and know a lot of other business travelers (million miler types) and 99% of them wouldn't fly AirTran on a bet. Take that for what you will.

Also, as a side note, once again the responses in this thread show that the DIS is continuing it's downward spiral. There are numerous, nasty, know-it-all responses in this thread that are just uncalled for. I really don't think the OP was saying that AirTran should just get the d#mn plane in the air regardless of maintenance or weather. All the OP was looking for was some decent customer service which is SORELY lacking at AirTran. If the OP doesn't want to fly AirTran then he has that right (bless you for your service by the way) and should be able to express that opinion without getting ripped for it. :sad2:

All the OP was looking for was some decent customer service which is SORELY lacking at AirTran.
Because the OP didn't like the responses he was getting from AirTran - and it's been pointed out nicely by several people that it's absolutely possible for a single flight to have both mechanical and weather delays - he instead opts to accept as official the observations of a food kiosk vendor.

I travel a lot and know a lot of other business travelers (million miler types) and 99% of them wouldn't fly AirTran on a bet.
I'm a business traveler and I'd never fly them for business either. But that's partly because someone else is paying (so I don't care if they are cheaper), and the perks on the legacies for having status are a lot nicer. For a leisure trip, if they're significantly less expensive, I'll at least give them a look (but will typically end up on Delta anyway unless the flights are a *lot* less on AirTran, based on lounge access alone, and that I can often get the rest of my family on the flight on miles.)

Business and leisure travelers have different metrics of "good", and AirTran is aiming for the leisure market, not the business market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter