Nissan Rogue Radio Issue-Any Car People?

happily single

Left foot first!
I purchased a 2018 Nissan Rogue in July, 2018. Since then I've had numerous issues with the radio. First the touch screen to control the radio, phone, etc would randomly stop working. The dealership did a computer update. That didn't work. They then replaced the entire radio. Now, randomly the touch screen will go black. The radio will still work, but the dials on the dashboard will not work. I can change the station on the steering wheel. I did take a video this weekend of the touch screen being black with the radio working.

Its going back in for them to check, but since its random, I don't think they will find the issue since it happens randomly.

Does anyone have any insight on what would be causing this?

No, other than it should still be under warranty.
Every visit has been covered, but 1. I don't think a brand new car should be having this many issues; 2. The dealership is at a loss as to what is causing these issues. I am hoping someone has had a similar experience and can let me know what it was that caused the issue

Sometimes dealers aren't very good at determining what the problem is and simply follow a 'fault tree' provided by the manufacturer. Check in the back of your owner's manual to see if there is some kind of escalation process for warranty issues. I had an intermittent electrical display problem several years ago on a vehicle (not a Nissan) and only when the zone office got involved were they able to determine it was a faulty sensor somewhere else in the vehicle that was shorting out and causing my issue. Electrical issues usually set some kind of fault code to use for diagnostic purposes. Good dealers know how to interpret these and find the underlying problem. Bad dealers will simply reset the codes and tell you they couldn't find anything wrong.

Sometimes dealers aren't very good at determining what the problem is and simply follow a 'fault tree' provided by the manufacturer. Check in the back of your owner's manual to see if there is some kind of escalation process for warranty issues. I had an intermittent electrical display problem several years ago on a vehicle (not a Nissan) and only when the zone office got involved were they able to determine it was a faulty sensor somewhere else in the vehicle that was shorting out and causing my issue. Electrical issues usually set some kind of fault code to use for diagnostic purposes. Good dealers know how to interpret these and find the underlying problem. Bad dealers will simply reset the codes and tell you they couldn't find anything wrong.

Precisely why I asked about Google in the first place. Electric/electronic issues are notorious for being tricky to pin down in many cases.

If you cannot get satisfaction, this is a good case where social media can be your friend. Car companies have staff devoted to monitoring SM for rumblings and will reach out quickly to avoid a # movement gaining momentum.

Every visit has been covered, but 1. I don't think a brand new car should be having this many issues; 2. The dealership is at a loss as to what is causing these issues. I am hoping someone has had a similar experience and can let me know what it was that caused the issue
I still say take it back to the dealer. I don't care that they don't know what's going on, they're responsible for fixing it. If they can't fix it, get me another one.

Nearly impossible to say. No surprise the dealer is having a hard time pinning it down. Intermittent electrical gremlins can be a nightmare to chase down, especially because they usually don't leave a trail behind to follow. Could be bad infotainment unit, could be a wiring issue. My guess, and it's just that is that it's the unit itself simply because you said the steering wheel audio controls still work.

Sadly Nissan seems to be having quality issues for the past few years in different areas. A friend of mine had a 2015 Altima and the keyless push button start would randomly stop working all the time.

I'm glad my car has just the regular key start, some things don't need to be digitized and work better the "old fashioned" way IMO.

Nissan's product line lost its' way many years ago. For the most part their vehicles are "also rans" in their classes. Build quality isn't all that bad, with the exception of the CVT issues they (which is definitely a big exception). Being owned by Renault doesn't help their quality...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter