NIGHTMARE table mates. Request table for 2?

On our last cruise we sat down first and when our tablemates approached us grandma threw a temper tantrum because she had put in a request for a private table for their 3 generation family of 5. "They're not supposed to sit with us." "We need to be alone." "I am platinum guest." Very loud and caused a scene. Try explain that to your 7 year old daughter.

There was no room for either of us to move on the first night so it was awkward to say the least. For the remaining nights my family of 3 was moved to a table with another family (who were wonderful by the way) but it was seated next to this other family every night. They were loud, rude to their servers, and grandma spend most of the meals upset with her hands in her head. That's certainly no way to vacation!

We've only cruised once, and I was both excited and nervous at the thought of being seated with another family. Turns out we had a table to our own, even without requesting it. I kinda think it would be more fun meeting others, especially if there were kids in similar ages. However I do think with how loud the dining rooms are it would definitely have been hard to hear others and carry on a conversation! It was hard enough to hear just with the four of us.

On our very first cruise, I had no idea that there was such a thing called shared seating. I was told about it and was old we would be seated with a family of four with their two kids. To my surprise, the "kids" were a married couple that had recently retired and they were taking their parents on a cruise. My wife, my DD6 (at the time)and myself were a bit taken aback. Turns out these folks were the greatest! It was their 10th cruise. We ended up having so much in common. At the end of the cruise, my daughter had a new adopted set of grandparents, Our last two nights, my daughter would sit between them and they loved it. They were sharing food and desserts with her to try. It was hugs and tears upon saying goodbye. We have two cruises this coming summer and I hope that we are just as lucky ag0ain.

***UPDATE***

Second Cruise Disney Dream on June 10-15th. Our table mates were great again! This was a family of 5 with single grandparent, mom & dad, boy and girl. The girl *9) and my daughter (8) became quick fiends. They never made it through dinner without heading out early to go to the Kids Clubs. The other dad and I got along great and we were soon doing stupid jokes together. We got some dirty looks from our wives for being to childish but we didn't care because his mother in law was encouraging us to misbehave. We even became Facebook friends and they asked if we wanted to join them on the next cruise they scheduled.

I've never had to be paired with other guest. My party size has always allowed us to have our own table. I would not hesitate to be paired with people I don't know. I have read some good stories of great friendships coming out of tablemates. I am sorry, but DCL cost too much money to have to put up with what some of you have posted here, for any length of time, and certainly not an entire week. Unfortunately some people are just nasty, and life is too short for that. Never hesitate to take care of your investment and family experience. You want to leave the ship with good memories and no regrets.

I kinda think it would be more fun meeting others, especially if there were kids in similar ages.

In most of my DCL cruises, (and I'm Platinum), I have requested a large table for us. This way it is usually more than one other party and it has always been quite convivial. :cutie: And having done long cruises, like the Hawaii cruises, one DOES get to know their table mates pretty well. We had a blast!

If I ever did get placed with someone(s) that were a problem, I would not hesitate to ask the Head Server to please change our table and why.

If something bothers you during the cruise, mention it on the survey at the end of your cruise. That makes it easy for DCL to associate it with your table/room assignment. Just say the other family at the table made us uncomfortable. If they see this from multiple people they will probably talk to their staff to see if there is a problem and may flag the people for a private table.

I know that the staff knows before hand about some "problem" people. We accidentally ended up dealing with "problem" people and the Disney staff were very nice and apologetic in helping us.

I know Disney notes when people complain excessively or torments Disney staff.

Last edited:
In most of my DCL cruises, (and I'm Platinum), I have requested a large table for us. This way it is usually more than one other party and it has always been quite convivial. :cutie: And having done long cruises, like the Hawaii cruises, one DOES get to know their table mates pretty well. We had a blast!

If I ever did get placed with someone(s) that were a problem, I would not hesitate to ask the Head Server to please change our table and why.

I like the large table idea - being with multiple families also gives you peer pressure if others are not so fun to be around. I will remember this if I ever cruise with a smaller group.

We always request to be seated by ourselves. Only once on a short 3n we were seated with another 3 folks on an 8 top. Never had any issues, except on our last 3n sailing.

Even though it was just the two of us (no kids) and had made the request in advance, we didn't get it. In any case, we always verify our request on embarkation. We were switched with no issues. BUT, our servers were not switched, and our table was on the opposite side of the dining halls. Basically, they've rarely showed up, we always had to wait around for refills and never asked how service was.

Typically, it is easier to get a table for yourself if you are in 2nd seating.

We really enjoyed the family that was seated with us on our last cruise. I was hoping for kids my twins age (6) that they could be friends with, but they gave us a family with a toddler, which ended up being fine because they were so nice and the toddler decided I was his second mommy for the cruise. We went to the shows together and he insisted on sitting in my lap the whole show and holding my hand on the way there. Was pretty darn cute. And the parents were super nice as well. It was the first disney cruise for both of our families, so maybe that is partly why they paired us.

We’ve had tables to ourselves and have been seated with other similar aged couples. So far all has gone well. Only once did we shut down another couple when they tried to talk US politics. The third couple and my husband and myself all pretty much said at the same time....oh no, that subject is off limits....the couple said ok, and all went well afterwards. If we had bad tablemates, I would’ve moved the first night. Cruises are not cheap and dining is a huge part!

I’ve sailed Disney 17 times and only sat with tablemates once. Once was enough. It was just DH & me. We were sat with 2 other couples, both at least 15-20 years older than us. One of the couples were mostly okay but that 3rd one. OMG! It was just bad. She was loud, obnoxious, ordering everyone around & didn’t let anyone get a word in edgewise. We mostly felt bad for her more meek-mannered other half. That’s when we decided never again. Ever.

To all:

Please, in these situations, put in a formal complaint, preferably in writing. I know no one wants to waste precious time doing the but that is the main way businesses recognize there is a serious issue. And this is a serious issue. In legal terms, it is called harassment and, in schools, it is called bullying. Note dates, times, venues and your reactions. Use specifics. 'The person said _____ to us in ____ voice/tone, embarrassing us in front of the other diners. 'This person said _____ this to the server in the ____ voice/tone, making us uncomfortable and modelling inappropriate behavior for our child/ren.' 'This person said____ to my son, upsetting him and making him decide to leave the pool area, ruining his experience.' 'All of this added up to make our dining experiences stressful and poor.' Give constructive suggestions. 'I strongly suggest this party be given their own table in the future.' Reports from customers carry way more weight than reports from staff because, unfortunately, a lot of businesses don't feel their staff needs to be treated with respect, but those reports still need to be substantive. Will business do anything at the first complaint? Not usually, but they will make a note, keep an eye on the situation and, at more evidence, will step in and 'have a chat' but they won't do anything if the customers don't make formal, precise complaints they can use to uphold their position.

On our last cruise we sat down first and when our tablemates approached us grandma threw a temper tantrum because she had put in a request for a private table for their 3 generation family of 5. "They're not supposed to sit with us." "We need to be alone." "I am platinum guest." Very loud and caused a scene. Try explain that to your 7 year old daughter.
'Honey, that is an example of how you do NOT behave in public'.

I am so sorry for your experience. We had tables mates 5 years ago that have become good friends and we have now cruised with every year since then. I am sad that a bad experience like that will make it very hard for you to sit with other people in the future. I don't blame you at all for wanting a table to yourself but I hope sometime in the future you have a great MDR experience and make some friends.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter