News Round Up 2020

If they're going to do a phased opening, this is what makes the most sense to me. Don't import germs from other parts of the country. Have locals come in for a couple of weeks first (I'd pick mid May) and then start adding in other people. Hopefully by mid June they could have it mostly open to everyone from this country.

As someone who has a reservation for June 13th, I like the way you think. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, though. I work for two doctors and they both think it might take longer to reopen, but it’s simply a waiting game now.

If they're going to do a phased opening, this is what makes the most sense to me. Don't import germs from other parts of the country. Have locals come in for a couple of weeks first (I'd pick mid May) and then start adding in other people. Hopefully by mid June they could have it mostly open to everyone from this country.
Thinking about my area Worlds of Fun may be in MO but many Kansans from my area go there. We're all in the same metro. Same for when Schlitterbahn was around. It was located in Kansas City, KS but Missourians from my metro could go there as well.

So I understand the 'locals' aspect and don't disagree with that approach initially just am thinking 'locals' by definition vary. For WDW it would mean FL residents, for DLR it would mean primarily CA (especially southern) residents. But for other amusement and theme parks that definition may vary.

Heiress Abigail Disney slams company for furloughing workers but protecting shareholder payouts and executive bonuses

]https://www.businessinsider.com/hei...ny-for-furloughing-workers-coronavirus-2020-4

i saw that and have seen other people going off on this ... everything I see ties back to an article in the Financial Times and I see the verbiage as "bonuses that could potentially pay out ...." so from what I could tell nothing has concretely happened yet, just that Disney hasn't said either way what will happen with bonuses (which I am sure are int he prospectuses and stuff, and have certain requirements to them, etc.)

If they do wind up paying out big time bonuses and do so now (not even at least delay them) then I think it is a really bad look - but doesn't appear that that has happened yet

Thinking about my area Worlds of Fun may be in MO but many Kansans from my area go there. We're all in the same metro. Same for when Schlitterbahn was around. It was located in Kansas City, KS but Missourians from my metro could go there as well.

So I understand the 'locals' aspect and don't disagree with that approach initially just am thinking 'locals' by definition vary. For WDW it would mean FL residents, for DLR it would mean primarily CA (especially southern) residents. But for other amusement and theme parks that definition may vary.

For most other parks, they rely almost solely on the locals business, which makes it much less of an issue for them.

For most other parks, they rely almost solely on the locals business, which makes it much less of an issue for them.
Right and I don't disagree with that but what I was getting at is I'm sure they will be looking at how WDW and DLR and USO and USH choose their approaches.

It would be easy to say if using my area "only Missiourians" verifiable by say a DL or utility bill can enter but that would cut out us Kansans who are part of the same "germ fest" if you will. We're local for sure but we're also residents of another state. I was also considering other parks that may be close to another state's border where enough residents from that other state go there. I'm not saying that's what these more local parks would do but I am keeping that as a consideration if they look towards the big big parks and what they do.

The people working on the Star Wars: Book of Lists forgot that there are eleven movies, not nine... :)

Star Wars: Book of Lists “takes a fascinating look at the galaxy far, far away through trivia culled from both on-screen and off, spanning all nine movies.”

There's technically 12, if you count that travesty of a Clone Wars cartoon movie, which was released in theaters.

There's technically 12, if you count that travesty of a Clone Wars cartoon movie, which was released in theaters.

I thought about that when I posted that. It was released as a movie but other sets of episodes that have a cohesive arc with no time jumps aren’t really any different than the movie. They just weren’t released as movies. But I wouldn’t use the word travesty ;) I love Clone Wars.

I thought about that when I posted that. It was released as a movie but other sets of episodes that have a cohesive arc with no time jumps aren’t really any different than the movie. They just weren’t released as movies. But I wouldn’t use the word travesty ;) I love Clone Wars.

I also love Clone Wars, as a whole. I think the first season was...not great. And that includes the movie.

feels like these last episodes are basically a movie as well, just broken up into 4 parts, given how it started with the Lucas Film logo and Star Wars banner and stuff like the moveis. And makes sense for it to have kicked off with a movie and end with a movie

i saw that and have seen other people going off on this ... everything I see ties back to an article in the Financial Times and I see the verbiage as "bonuses that could potentially pay out ...." so from what I could tell nothing has concretely happened yet, just that Disney hasn't said either way what will happen with bonuses (which I am sure are int he prospectuses and stuff, and have certain requirements to them, etc.)

If they do wind up paying out big time bonuses and do so now (not even at least delay them) then I think it is a really bad look - but doesn't appear that that has happened yet
You're forgetting the dividend part. 1.5B to shareholders, while the taxpayer pays their employees.

We as a country have said for along time we're okay subsiding the bottom line of massive companies with various benefits, such as Walmart employees on food stamps and Medicaid. Having any real conversation about the rightness of that decision is hard to do without quickly falling into politics.

You're forgetting the dividend part. 1.5B to shareholders, while the taxpayer pays their employees.

We as a country have said for along time we're okay subsiding the bottom line of massive companies with various benefits, such as Walmart employees on food stamps and Medicaid. Having any real conversation about the rightness of that decision is hard to do without quickly falling into politics.

I have no issue with the divident - that is a promise to the shareholders that provided money to fund them. They are a dividend stock and if they didn't pay their dividend the stock would tank and that would negatively impact their ability to be able to pay their CMs in the future or have the capital to invest in things they have in the past.

If they pay massive bonuses or if they use capital for share repurchases, I would have issues with that but not the dividend which is basically part of their regular operations

I have no issue with the divident - that is a promise to the shareholders that provided money to fund them. They are a dividend stock and if they didn't pay their dividend the stock would tank and that would negatively impact their ability to be able to pay their CMs in the future or have the capital to invest in things they have in the past.

If they pay massive bonuses or if they use capital for share repurchases, I would have issues with that but not the dividend which is basically part of their regular operations
Paying employees is also regular operations, generating revenue is regular operations, etc.

Disney doesn't sell stock to pay CMs, they aren't selling it to fund operations and if they did the stock would tank. Outside of using it for aquiring other companies and paying top execs and board members, I doubt they've had an equity raise in decades.

Again, whether you agree with privatized profits and socialized loses, especially concurrently, is more political than this forum allows.

And did you notice she completely mischaracterized the $1.5B, implying it was bonus when it's actually the anticipated (but not finalized) dividend. And she gets a ton of press for made up nonsense. Just wow! She could be a poster on these boards...:P

Deleted.

Last edited:
Totally agree. And we are not Residents of FL :(. This would be far more about dealing with that which can be controlled, from a State perspective.
I still think that they can be open to everyone before July. People will continue to catch this virus. People will just need to decide for themselves if living their life with an extremely small risk of dying from the virus is worth living their lives vs. hiding away in their homes indefinitely.

I honestly think Disney should just put a disclaimer on their tickets. Something like "by purchasing this ticket I acknowledge that I may contract a virus while out in public and I do not hold Disney responsible". Norovirus is just as contagious as this virus and there is also always the chance of getting the flu. This statement would cover them. They could make it something you have to click on the website before you can complete your purchase or reserve your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter