News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
These may hold for a bit unless Lion King or Star Wars come out firing. I don’t see anything else coming close this year or even next year really.

I may be proven wrong but I don't see Lion King coming close to this - for as many people that are excited for it I know people that just aren't into the remakes/won't make seeing it a priority

If there was more positivity around Star Wars (and i think it is better now than it was a year ago, but still not at it's peak) then I think the caper to that series, which Episode IX is to be could do huge, but I think in the end it will fall short

I may be proven wrong but I don't see Lion King coming close to this - for as many people that are excited for it I know people that just aren't into the remakes/won't make seeing it a priority

If there was more positivity around Star Wars (and i think it is better now than it was a year ago, but still not at it's peak) then I think the caper to that series, which Episode IX is to be could do huge, but I think in the end it will fall short
That’s why I said I think this may hold for a while.

While yes some are that way with Lion King some are also against super hero films/Marvel. I think the remake of Lion King will do just as good if not better than the animated original and that was nothing short of a blockbuster.

I think for The Rise of Skywalker some are still bitter but things have softened and the return of the Emperor (so it seems), the title, and trailer has given a new hype. The issue Star Wars has is international appeal. China is not nearly into SW like they are Marvel.

Blog post from Floyd Norman on his thoughts about not including the crow scene in Dumbo on Disney+.

http://floydnormancom.squarespace.com/blog/2019/4/27/black-crows-and-other-pc-nonsense
WOW - that basically sums up exactly how I feel. (And probably how the vast majority of people feel regardless of their race). A VERY well written blog post!

EDIT: my favorite line - My good friend, Disney Legend, Ward Kimball animated these jazzy crows back in the forties. If you find Walt Disney’s “Dumbo,” racist, that’s your problem.

Last edited:
That’s why I said I think this may hold for a while.

While yes some are that way with Lion King some are also against super hero films/Marvel. I think the remake of Lion King will do just as good if not better than the animated original and that was nothing short of a blockbuster.

I think for The Rise of Skywalker some are still bitter but things have softened and the return of the Emperor (so it seems), the title, and trailer has given a new hype. The issue Star Wars has is international appeal. China is not nearly into SW like they are Marvel.

I think Lion King will do better than the other remakes like Dumbo and Alladin, but it can't compete on this level. It's a different playing field.

The Rise of Skywalker will put up a very big number, but will not touch these numbers. These records will stand for a few years.

Last edited:
I think Lion King will do better than the other remakes likes Dumbo and Alladin, but it can't compete on his level. It's a different playing field.

The Rise of Skywalker will put up a very big number, but will not touch these numbers. These records will stand for a few years.
I agree. People are overestimating The Lion King and that could be bad for Disney as whatever numbers it does pull in will be bound to look disappointing.

As far as The Rise of Skywalker? That will be lucky to even get near The Last Jedi's opening numbers.

Yea these numbers are jaw dropping. And well deserved-good for them.

Agree they seem to be doing a 180 on "forget the past" and just move the new SW characters forward.

It now seems to be "bring as much of the past back as possible what the heck were we thinking" type stuff.

Glue the helmet, Palpatine, Lando, Death Star remains, Luke saying no one is ever really gone, "there's more to Rey", the title.

Heck I've even heard Han and Vader.

It's become beyond obvious what they are attempting, almost hilarious.

Why do we have to compare Disney animation type movies (even the live action ones based on the animation) to Marvel? They shouldn't be up against each other.

I'm glad these movie are there for those who like them, but oh my god, if Marvel really starts to become a huge influence in the parks, that will suck, massively.
Crap, Marvel had nothing to do with Disney for years.
Even Star Wars...Galaxy's Edge may be fun to visit, but I'm starting to really hate this new direction Disney is taking in their films. Disney's last original (not sequel) animated movie was what, Moana? In 2016? Where is Pixar? Oh yeah, we're getting another Toy Story sequel.

Mary Poppins - the music scenes were exactly the same!!! Instead of a fair jumping through a sidewalk, they visit a music hall through a crack in the vase. Instead of the Uncle who laughs all the way to the ceiling, they have an aunt who's house turns upside down. Instead of chimney sweeps, lamp lighters. Instead of flying a kite, we fly with balloons.

It's like Disney gave up on what brought most of us to love them in the first place.

I sound angry, but I'm not. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter