News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we have to compare Disney animation type movies (even the live action ones based on the animation) to Marvel? They shouldn't be up against each other.

I'm glad these movie are there for those who like them, but oh my god, if Marvel really starts to become a huge influence in the parks, that will suck, massively.
Crap, Marvel had nothing to do with Disney for years.
Even Star Wars...Galaxy's Edge may be fun to visit, but I'm starting to really hate this new direction Disney is taking in their films. Disney's last original (not sequel) animated movie was what, Moana? In 2016? Where is Pixar? Oh yeah, we're getting another Toy Story sequel.

Mary Poppins - the music scenes were exactly the same!!! Instead of a fair jumping through a sidewalk, they visit a music hall through a crack in the vase. Instead of the Uncle who laughs all the way to the ceiling, they have an aunt who's house turns upside down. Instead of chimney sweeps, lamp lighters. Instead of flying a kite, we fly with balloons.

It's like Disney gave up on what brought most of us to love them in the first place.

I sound angry, but I'm not. :)
We are more comparing major blockbusters. Disney animation typically is a major blockbuster. Obviously Marvel as well.

Marvel will certainly be in the parks. DCA is getting an entire land. Epcot getting the guardians coaster.

New Pixar original in 2020. I believe we are getting an animated original in 2020 or 2021 unless something changed.

We are more comparing major blockbusters. Disney animation typically is a major blockbuster. Obviously Marvel as well.

Marvel will certainly be in the parks. DCA is getting an entire land. Epcot getting the guardians coaster.

New Pixar original in 2020. I believe we are getting an animated original in 2020 or 2021 unless something changed.

That's fine. I don't find it to be a draw for us. A themed coaster is one thing, but if Marvel really starts taking over, we would visit less and less. That's all. :)

I'm sure it's my age. I'm 45 and never equated Disney with Star Wars, Marvel, etc. The parks were more about imagination and rides like Horizons, Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, heck Eastern Airlines if you had wings. Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, none of those were based on movies, just imagination. That's what I equate with Disney World.
It's just different now, especially in these last few years and change is good, just not always to my tastes.

Oh well, we still enjoy ourselves for now.

That's fine. I don't find it to be a draw for us. A themed coaster is one thing, but if Marvel really starts taking over, we would visit less and less. That's all. :)

I'm sure it's my age. I'm 45 and never equated Disney with Star Wars, Marvel, etc. The parks were more about imagination and rides like Horizons, Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, heck Eastern Airlines if you had wings. Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, none of those were based on movies, just imagination. That's what I equate with Disney World.
It's just different now, especially in these last few years and change is good, just not always to my tastes.

I don't disagree. Disney for the vast majority of its existence was without Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar. That's of course now not today's Disney.

I also wish we could have more attractions like you mentioned but those days are long over at least under current management's belief.

but I'm starting to really hate this new direction Disney is taking in their films. Disney's last original (not sequel) animated movie was what, Moana? In 2016? Where is Pixar? Oh yeah, we're getting another Toy Story sequel.

Mary Poppins - the music scenes were exactly the same!!! Instead of a fair jumping through a sidewalk, they visit a music hall through a crack in the vase. Instead of the Uncle who laughs all the way to the ceiling, they have an aunt who's house turns upside down. Instead of chimney sweeps, lamp lighters. Instead of flying a kite, we fly with balloons.

It's like Disney gave up on what brought most of us to love them in the first place.

I do agree with this, that's why always went to WDW as well.

Just seems likes even past beloved films can't stir up enough guest interest generations later, so I think they are trying to invest/expand in more current interest.

Like Mary Poppins above, a re release in theatres of the original would tank IMO. Trying a current star and live action tech still tanked (as did Pooh).

I wouldn't doubt that result may have scrapped a M Poppins attraction going in to EPCOT. If it had crushed it, maybe a green light.

Therefore it appears they are expanding with more popular/safer current entertainment/interest out there.

I'm ok with the expansion choices currently, super excited actually. The old stuff we care about is still there.

I don't disagree. Disney for the vast majority of its existence was without Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar. That's of course now not today's Disney.

I also wish we could have more attractions like you mentioned but those days are long over at least under current management's belief.

And actually at least IMO, with the decline of the ESPN cash cow (hoping streaming saves the day), those 3 IP's probably saved Disney.

And actually at least IMO, with the decline of the ESPN cash cow (hoping streaming saves the day), those 3 IP's probably saved Disney.
Yes and no. ESPN is still doing okay and ESPN+ seems to be doing well. I think the cable cutter movement has slowed a bit.

Yeah we are not going until next weekend at the earliest because we can't get anyone to watch DS until then but it is tough to wait.

We can't go until Wednesday this week because of our toddler, and we didn't have my stepson. My stepson has an early out on Wednesday, so my DH and I are going to take half the day off work to go while the toddler is at daycare.

Maybe morewhat you are into than your age. I am 41 and loved the original EPCOT - Dreamfinder and Figment, Horizons, etc. - people mover and CoP are must dos for us, etc. But I also am super excited for all the new stuff coming including Star Wars and Marvel

Now, I don't want it to full take over the classics or anything but at least to date we really haven't lost anything major to any of these properties

Last edited:
Yes and no. ESPN is still doing okay and ESPN+ seems to be doing well. I think the cable cutter movement has slowed a bit.

Yea I wasn't sure how bad it got or not, but pretty sure those 3 IP's really helped Disney, maybe not saved.

I enjoy everything that you do about Disney, but also love Marvel and Star Wars. For reference, I'm 50.

All the stuff you reference is fantastic and I love it. However I grew up with Marvel comics. At age 50 they've been a huge part of my life. From Disneys stand point if they don't build the Marvel/Star Wars attractions someone else will.

In today's world those new attractions are probably a bigger draw than the old stuff.

I hope they continue to develop all kinds of attractions and have enough for everyone to enjoy.

I enjoy everything that you do about Disney, but also love Marvel and Star Wars. For reference, I'm 50.

All the stuff you reference is fantastic and I love it. However I grew up with Marvel comics. At age 50 they've been a huge part of my life. From Disneys stand point if they don't build the Marvel/Star Wars attractions someone else will.

In today's world those new attractions are probably a bigger draw than the old stuff.

I hope they continue to develop all kinds of attractions and have enough for everyone to enjoy.
I agree. I'm going to be 58 next month and I love the Avengers and Star Wars. I love the old stuff as well but Disney has to keep up with the times. If you aren't growing, you are dying.

Why do we have to compare Disney animation type movies (even the live action ones based on the animation) to Marvel? They shouldn't be up against each other.

I'm glad these movie are there for those who like them, but oh my god, if Marvel really starts to become a huge influence in the parks, that will suck, massively.
Crap, Marvel had nothing to do with Disney for years.
Even Star Wars...Galaxy's Edge may be fun to visit, but I'm starting to really hate this new direction Disney is taking in their films. Disney's last original (not sequel) animated movie was what, Moana? In 2016? Where is Pixar? Oh yeah, we're getting another Toy Story sequel.

I sound angry, but I'm not. :)

Well...the only Disney films the moviegoing public is consistently choosing to go to in large numbers are their Marvel films.

To quote Dickens...It was the worst of times, it was the best of times.

With Marvel, Disney is releasing some of the biggest films in box office history. At the same time, I have NEVER seen one studio release so many super-expensive box office BOMBS in such a short space of time like Disney has just in the last couple of years.

Well...the only Disney films the moviegoing public is consistently choosing to go to in large numbers are their Marvel films.

To quote Dickens...It was the worst of times, it was the best of times.

With Marvel, Disney is releasing some of the biggest films in box office history. At the same time, I have NEVER seen one studio release so many super-expensive box office BOMBS in such a short space of time like Disney has just in the last couple of years.
I think that's the nature of Disney right now. You have Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Disney Studios, Animation, and now Fox all under one roof. Something is going to suffer a bit. It seems that something is Studios however you still have some decent films. Nutcracker was a major bomb, Dumbo wasn't great but wasn't awful. Aladdin should do better, Lion King as well. I think too a lot of companies would love to have Disney's problem. They basically own the box office right now.

Some of the stuff that felt repetitive were actually inspired from the books. The vase scene was from the original stories. I was excited to see that- until they started singing for ten minutes in a very modern style that didn’t fit the time period at all. There is also a topsy turvey chapter though the movie changed it quite a bit. I dunno if the chalk scene is too as I haven’t finished reading them yet. But yeah, I found the movie to be pretty boring too.

Last edited:

Yea just noticed on that link C Marvel was 2nd after 8 weeks, and passed W Woman. Little extra coattail but still impressive.

Some of the stuff that felt repetitive were actually inspired from the books. The vase scene was from the original stories. I was excited to see that- until they started singing for ten minutes in a very modern style that didn’t fit the time period at all. There is also a topsy turvey chapter though the movie changed it quite a bit. Idunno if the chalk scene is too as I haven’t finished reading them yet. There is also a character But yeah, I found the movie to be pretty boring too.

I just rewatched MPR for the first time since it was in the theater and I still really enjoyed it and just find it fun

That said, the plot is silly - before she comes the kids are fine and even Micheal was fun until money issues came up and he had to stop painting.

The issue is solved when Dick Van Dyke tells them his tuppence has grown into a tiddy sum - which MP had nothing to do with.

But ignoring that I still enjoyed it :D

I don't even go to movies, so I have no dog in this hunt. That said, it seems silly to think that the experience of watching something on a big screen TV (which is measured in inches) is anything like watching something on a movie screen (which is measured in feet).

A direct comparison in both measurements (rounded for simplicity):
  • TV 57x35 inches vs Movie 360x960 inches
  • TV 3x5 feet vs Movie 30x80 feet

It's all about perspective. The screen is bigger because it has to be. You're much further away in a theater. There's a rule of thumb for figuring out what size screen fits a room. Measure the distance from where the screen is going to be to where you are going to be sitting to watch. Take that measurement in inches and divide by 3. That's the size screen that is 'appropriate' for the size of the room. So of course the screen is going to be bigger if you have a room that fits 100+ people. Gotta make sure the people in the back can see it.

Also take into account that some projections just don't care about their job. I'd rather watch a movie on a 55" TV that's in focus, in the dark, in silence, with a sound system that can shake my walls, on the comfort of my couch, without a phone screen in the corner of my eye, vs. a movie on an IMAX screen that isn't in focus, with tinny sound, in a cold theater, with people crunching food in my ears, coughing right behind me, and talking.

But I'm just a simple man with simple pleasures :p

EDIT:
I stopped reading when I saw "sound bar." I've got a nice home theater audio system, and it still doesn't hold a candle to a normal theater, much less one of the new "Dolby" theaters at AMC or an IMAX.

Shame you stopped reading. My Fluance AB40's Virtual 3D Surround Sound does a great job. I think it sounds better than the theaters around me. And I can adjust it how I see fit. Maybe the theaters around you are better than mine? Or ran by people who actually care *shrug*.

EDIT EDIT: Just realized what I have is technically a Soundbase, not a Soundbar. I'll go back and edit the original post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter