News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
So until Epcot decides what its new theme should be, it will be at the bottom of the four theme parks (except for the "foodies" that love the festivals and ambience there).
According to Disney Epcot is about discovery.

Disney has said they want to make Epcot more Disney, more timeless, more relevant, etc. all while staying true to the original vision. Which They really can’t.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Complain about the lack of new rides all you want, but using EPCOT for more themed festivals is still a new use of the existing space, and one that works well with the park. They may not have built any new attractions/rides, but they have certainly found ways to introduce new attractions/experiences with fair regularity. And people are coming so it must be working.
Excellent point! Thinking Disney should export this concept to the other parks. Imagine AK with booths in the different areas featuring foods from those areas. Or the MK with booths featuring Adventure/Frontier foods (besides turkey legs) or Fantasy Foods (whimsical takes on otherwise familiar things). Or maybe DHS with foods inspired by Hollywood glamor or Star Wars.

Excellent point! Thinking Disney should export this concept to the other parks. Imagine AK with booths in the different areas featuring foods from those areas. Or the MK with booths featuring Adventure/Frontier foods (besides turkey legs) or Fantasy Foods (whimsical takes on otherwise familiar things). Or maybe DHS with foods inspired by Hollywood glamor or Star Wars.
MK is crowded enough. Booths would only add more issues.

Space is the problem here. Epcot has a lot of it, MK doesn't. AK has a bit more I guess.

I love the various festivals in Epcot, but REALLY don't think that kind of thing belongs in the other parks. I think it would just create too much congestion in parks that already have too much and are expecting more when SWGE comes online.

AK sort of did this when they expanded to the night time hours - not booths the same way as EPCOT does but there are a lot of stands to get snacks and beverages and then they had a lot of entertainment out (DJs and performers, etc.) - we loved the vibe - grabbing an adult beverage and taking in the different forms of entertainment there was great!

Infinitely more popular but infinitely less capacity. ;)
True .. but is a 90 minute line for SDD eating more of the crowd than a walk-on of the Backlot Tour used to? But yes. LMA had a pretty large seating capacity and a decently long show (like Indy).

According to Disney Epcot is about discovery.

Disney has said they want to make Epcot more Disney, more timeless, more relevant, etc. all while staying true to the original vision. Which They really can’t.

I get the Discovery theme somewhat .. I just don't feel it in the Future World attractions. World Showcase .. sure . it is all about Discovery.
Epcot DOES need to be more timeless -- not sure throwing in an attraction based on a live-action movie does that. In 20 years it will feel like the Rock-n-Roller coaster as you see videos of these stars when they were young from something kids don't really know, but there parents still think is pretty darn cool.

I am just looking forward to the grand vision they have for Epcot. I just don't see it really being satisfying though until they ditch the "pavilion" concept on the west side of the park. The Imagination pavilion and the Seas could be so much more. The Land is fine. It is the best pavilion there. Walk in and there are two rides and two restaurants (and maybe a new show eventually?? or will they just leave the old Lion King show empty (like they do with so much at Epcot).

They need to do something with Innoventions as well. So I look forward to the new look (whenever that happens) . .it just means a LOT of construction for probably about a decade to get there.

I love the various festivals in Epcot, but REALLY don't think that kind of thing belongs in the other parks. I think it would just create too much congestion in parks that already have too much and are expecting more when SWGE comes online.

I agree - which is part of why I think they've chosen well to use EPCOT that way. MK is way too crowded, HS is going to have it rough once SWGE opens, and AK is so specifically themed, you'd have to be really narrow when choosing festival subjects. EPCOT can be used for a broad range of themes and the layout is designed well for big crowds that aren't constantly moving from ride to ride.

True .. but is a 90 minute line for SDD eating more of the crowd than a walk-on of the Backlot Tour used to? But yes. LMA had a pretty large seating capacity and a decently long show (like Indy).
I think show length is a major factor in this too - I'm glad you brought that up. It's part of why I was sad that the theater at MK got axed (or is that just temporarily on hold or...I can't keep track of it all anymore, lol)...

At any rate...When you look at Indiana Jones and say it holds 2,000 people...well between showing up a little early and the time to exit the theater that keeps those 2,000 people busy & entertained for an entire hour basically. When you look at a ride with a similar capacity (say Rock'n'Roller Coaster) between pre-show and ride those people are only occupied for 8-10 minutes. Now of course RnR has a long line too which keeps those people busy for an hour or more probably.

I guess it's hard to compare short rides with long lines to long shows with no lines...but I don't mind Disney having some high quality shows that take thousands of people out of the mix and when I watch allow me to get off my feet for 45 minutes or so.

True but I think some of the new attractions aren’t being considered with capacity in mind. Look at FoP. Brilliant ride but 90+ waits constantly because of the low capacity.

oh, I get that, and agree - I do wish at least some of the new rides could handle more people (though I will say Slinky Dog seems to move quite a few people through it quick - even when a long line it moves pretty good)

Just that, for example, even if the capacity of Universe of Energy is more than the capacity for the Guardians roller coaster - I am sure more people per hour will actually ride Guardians than were riding UoE so it is adding to actual throughput of guests on attractions even if not capacity of guests

I think show length is a major factor in this too - I'm glad you brought that up. It's part of why I was sad that the theater at MK got axed (or is that just temporarily on hold or...I can't keep track of it all anymore, lol)...

At any rate...When you look at Indiana Jones and say it holds 2,000 people...well between showing up a little early and the time to exit the theater that keeps those 2,000 people busy & entertained for an entire hour basically. When you look at a ride with a similar capacity (say Rock'n'Roller Coaster) between pre-show and ride those people are only occupied for 8-10 minutes. Now of course RnR has a long line too which keeps those people busy for an hour or more probably.

I guess it's hard to compare short rides with long lines to long shows with no lines...but I don't mind Disney having some high quality shows that take thousands of people out of the mix and when I watch allow me to get off my feet for 45 minutes or so.

parades can do that too - occupy people for a while between lining up a bit early and then for the entire length of the parade

So even while we aren't huge parade people, when there was a night time parade at MK that reduces wait times at a lot of the rides

parades can do that too - occupy people for a while between lining up a bit early and then for the entire length of the parade

So even while we aren't huge parade people, when there was a night time parade at MK that reduces wait times at a lot of the rides
Another reason why they should’ve built the Main Street theater. Take crowds away from other things.

Great Point! I wish AK and HS would bring back a parade and MK would put a night parade back on the map. We would always watch those parades one day we were there...and take advantage of the shorter lines the other day.

Another reason why they should’ve built the Main Street theater. Take crowds away from other things.

not to mention have created that parallel walkway to Main St to help with congestion too. I get it, paying the performers isn't the most cost effective thing but I think there were a lot of positives to having that theater (especially as it was completely additive and not replacing anything)

I think Epcot World showcase is good as is, the rat ride is a nice addition. Future world is what really needs the attention. If they had all the pavilions truly functioning it could be a much better place and a greater crowd eater. Guardians is a step in the right direction, and a roller coaster is a good addition. I think if they can add one more solid attraction in Future world they'd be in good shape. I also think a theater production like what was intended for main st in MK could fit in there and really work well with the place.

Final point they should lower admission to Epcot .If I want a one day pass for Epcot only I should get in for less then a Hundred .I mainly go to eat at the great restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter