News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Jungle Cruise set looks nothing short of exemplary. Johnson typically delivers a very charismatic film, if nothing else, but I'm wary of the direction. The director chosen is very action-focused, but has also directed The Shallows which is somewhat character-driven, still. If anything we will get some great set pieces of action for Jungle Cruise.

I hope it is a good movie in the end ... otherwise Disney might find themselves between The Rock and a hard place with regards to attraction focused movies going forward

(sorry, it's the Jungle Cruise - of course we have to include puns!!!)

@lentesta posted this on wdwmagic but I wanted to share this with everyone here.

Disney moved to seasonal pricing for one-day tickets in February 2016. Word on the street is that seasonal pricing will come to multi-day tickets by mid-October this year. (I've heard as early as mid-September.)

My guesses:
  • Each park will have its own "seasons". This will allow DHS to charge more around the debut of MMRR and SW:GE, of course, but also Epcot during festivals, etc. Any time a park has something new, more can be charged there. Other parks can charge less, to take off some of the crowds.

• You'll have to say "I'm going to this park on this date" to get the cheapest pricing.

• There will be a more expensive "go to any park any day during your trip" option.
The people I've spoken to say that the new ticket ordering process is very complicated - something like 7 to 9 steps per ticket. That may delay implementation a bit, as third-party vendors try to figure out how to integrate.

@lentesta posted this on wdwmagic but I wanted to share this with everyone here.
Oh man it sounds like buying tickets is going to get to be a giant headache. I can only imagine the glitches this will spawn in MDE and at the gates. Wonder how many people would just take the upcharge for any day of your trip tickets? Which I imagine is what Disney is banking on.

I totally get the idea of charging more for more popular parks (would have been nice if they had that in place during the construction on DHS so it would be cheaper than the other parks).

But the part that concerns me is "The people I've spoken to say that the new ticket ordering process is very complicated - something like 7 to 9 steps per ticket." .... already see people complaining about how complicated a visit to WDW is - this is not going to help!

I could also see this creating more levels for annual passes as if they are going to charge more for EPCOT during F&WF - which is mostly an issue on the weekends when locals go

Oh man it sounds like buying tickets is going to get to be a giant headache. I can only imagine the glitches this will spawn in MDE and at the gates. Wonder how many people would just take the upcharge for any day of your trip tickets? Which I imagine is what Disney is banking on.

I imagine that's probably what will happen, which also makes me wonder if they'll increase the price of park hopping as well. Sidenote, I'm going with some friends in late May/early June of next year and told them go ahead and buy their tickets now. It certainly doesn't seem worth the headache to wait until just before the usual price increase each year.

I totally get the idea of charging more for more popular parks (would have been nice if they had that in place during the construction on DHS so it would be cheaper than the other parks).

But the part that concerns me is "The people I've spoken to say that the new ticket ordering process is very complicated - something like 7 to 9 steps per ticket." .... already see people complaining about how complicated a visit to WDW is - this is not going to help!

I could also see this creating more levels for annual passes as if they are going to charge more for EPCOT during F&WF - which is mostly an issue on the weekends when locals go

Given Disney's IT struggles, and the struggle to keep its cast members on the same page regarding just about anything told to consumers, I think the odds of this being a tooth and hair pulling disaster is over 90%. They can't even keep up long standing services like FP and dining reservations consistently, they have yet to build any reasonable way to make sure people pay for parking, and if you call the reservation line and ask for anything more complicated than a basic ticket package, you will get a different answer from every cast member you speak with.

I find it amazing that Disney still has a reputation for customer service when so much of what they do, outside of face to face interaction, is a mess. Making something like buying tickets more complicated? Yeah... that's not going to go smoothly.

Given Disney's IT struggles, and the struggle to keep its cast members on the same page regarding just about anything told to consumers, I think the odds of this being a tooth and hair pulling disaster is over 90%. They can't even keep up long standing services like FP and dining reservations consistently, they have yet to build any reasonable way to make sure people pay for parking, and if you call the reservation line and ask for anything more complicated than a basic ticket package, you will get a different answer from every cast member you speak with.

I find it amazing that Disney still has a reputation for customer service when so much of what they do, outside of face to face interaction, is a mess. Making something like buying tickets more complicated? Yeah... that's not going to go smoothly.

Good point about CMs needing to be on the same page too as, especially when it first roles out, I can totally picture families showing up at a park thinking they have their tickets ready to go, only to be told their tickets at that level can't get them into DHS that day, only Animal Kingdom, or something like that and just how much confusion it could create

Ridiculous about the "seasonal" pricing. I get it, but, why? Does Disney love just making the lives of everyone within their company difficult for the sake of making a quick buck?

Also, with Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land, and the first ever Mickey-based attraction, how much is Disney going to charge to get into Hollywood Studios? I could honestly see them charging more than Magic Kingdom, but that could be almost "unethical" by Disney's own standards.

Honestly, I just find this ridiculous. They are trying to squeeze every inch of space and capacity into their existing parks instead of increasing capacity and building new parks because they're "not needed." I believe they won't make as much of a profit, but new parks and lands are absolutely needed to spread out the crowds and to keep people happy and wanting to come back. Now on top of that, you are making even purchasing tickets a giant pain for the consumer.

MM+ has done wonders with being able to cram as many people into the parks as possible without it being TOO miserable, but at some point there needs to be somewhere else for everyone to go. Even if it's not AS profitable. The parks were profitable in the 80s and 90s with much lower crowds, and without upsell hard ticket events and dessert parties. And ticket and hotel prices have risen faster than the cost of inflation. Yes, a new park will cannibalize the existing ones, and it needs to.

The only other options are 1) continue to price out the middle class. 2) deliver a worse product to the consumer. 3) increase hours drastically to spread out crowds.

If they don't want to build new parks, then I think 3 is their best option. Stagger park opening throughout the day so if people want an better experience, they can rope drop at 6 am, or stay up until 3 am for late park nights. You wouldn't even HAVE to increase overall park hours (though I think that should be done as well), you could just stagger them. And while I don't necessarily want this...you could move to two tickets per day at some or all parks. Allowing guests the option of which one the want to do each day, with the option to pay for both. Of course this would have to come with a giant reduction in ticket prices. It also seems overly complicated

Last edited:
Honestly, I just find this ridiculous. They are trying to squeeze every inch of space and capacity into their existing parks instead of increasing capacity and building new parks because they're "not needed." I believe they won't make as much of a profit, but new parks and lands are absolutely needed to spread out the crowds and to keep people happy and wanting to come back. Now on top of that, you are making even purchasing tickets a giant pain for the consumer.

MM+ has done wonders with being able to cram as many people into the parks as possible without it being TOO miserable, but at some point there needs to be somewhere else for everyone to go. Even if it's not AS profitable. The parks were profitable in the 80s and 90s with much lower crowds, and without upsell hard ticket events and dessert parties. And ticket and hotel prices have risen faster than the cost of inflation. Yes, a new park will cannibalize the existing ones, and it needs to.

The only other options are 1) continue to price out the middle class. 2) deliver a worse product to the consumer. 3) increase hours drastically to spread out crowds.

If they don't want to build new parks, then I think 3 is their best option. Stagger park opening throughout the day so if people want an better experience, they can rope drop at 6 am, or stay up until 3 am for late park nights. You wouldn't even HAVE to increase overall park hours (though I think that should be done as well), you could just stagger them. And while I don't necessarily want this...you could move to two tickets per day at some or all parks. Allowing guests the option of which one the want to do each day, with the option to pay for both. Of course this would have to come with a giant reduction in ticket prices.
Haven’t they done #3 to some extent with MNSSHP and MVMCP? Sell a party ticket for about the same as a day ticket gets you limited park time but ability to ride rides quickly.

If they don't want to build new parks, then I think 3 is their best option. Stagger park opening throughout the day so if people want an better experience, they can rope drop at 6 am, or stay up until 3 am for late park nights. You wouldn't even HAVE to increase overall park hours (though I think that should be done as well), you could just stagger them. And while I don't necessarily want this...you could move to two tickets per day at some or all parks. Allowing guests the option of which one the want to do each day, with the option to pay for both. Of course this would have to come with a giant reduction in ticket prices.

They did have hard ticketed events in the 90's and they were some of my best Disney memories as a child.

I do really think they need to bring back the longer hours. Seems ridiculous to me how early the parks shut now compared to how late they stayed open when they had lower attendance. Being in the parks until 4 or 5 am was regular, now Magic Kingdom doesn't seem to be open until midnight very often.

They don't exactly need a 5th park yet for capacity, expansions for now would be sufficient, but they need to be additive expansions not just replacing existing areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter