• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between this and all of the other construction at this resort, its a miracle guests would even want to stay here at all. Even with the heavily discounted rooms.
It's really not that bad. Unlike CBR, none of the dining or shopping is affected. Granted I never use the pools at the resorts, anyway, so this wouldn't bother me at all. We stayed last December and the tower construction was only noticeable while on the bus (we were in Ranchos).
I agree with Molphino. We stayed there in June and honestly, you couldn't hear much at all. The paths were all open, and that pool and playground area were great for a 3 year old. It was his first "big boy" water slide. Since this resort seems to be getting closer and closer to "deluxe", I wouldn't be surprised if they rework the very small "kiddie" pool.

Also, the price can't be beat and if you get a renovated room, it's real nice. We too were in the Ranchos. Would go back in a heartbeat.

I see there is construction on a Wolfgang pucks grill- is this different from the Wolfgang puck express in the marketplace side (is that up and running right now?) - going next week
Yes this is the new table service restaurant. The express location is remaining on the marketplace side.

FIRST LOOK - Disney princesses in more casual look inspired by Vanellope in Ralph Breaks the Internet

(put image in spoilers for those that don't want to see)

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/09/ra...kly&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com

not surprised, especially with how hard it seems to get FP for Slinky Dog .... and I am sure they will run something like this when Galaxy's Edge opens as well

@TheMaxRebo - More important to you and me personally - you should notice the article states:

So when would it start? Don’t plan on it starting before September 3rd, as Disney is still hosting daily morning Extra Magic Hours for resort guests through September 2nd.

The last I checked - like a week ago - the daily EMH were ending on August 25th where the park opened at 8 AM with EMH from 7 to 8 AM. They now have EMH from 8 AM to 9 AM, with park opening at 9AM, all the way through September 2nd - like the article states.

Good 'ole Disney pulling the rug out from under us. Worse for @TheMaxRebo because he's staying off site.

Confirmed - UK ride is Poppins!

yeah folks this is a joke.... ;)

It's definitely a joke - but I always wonder: How could it NOT be Mary Poppins? Are they really that stupid? Mary Poppins is still immensely popular 50+ years after release, and there is NOTHING in WDW for it. I mean Peter Pan and Pooh are already in MK, and how would Alice ever compare to Mary Poppins. It just seems like SUCH a no brainer - unless there are rights issues, but the fact they are putting out a sequel tells me there aren't issues.

Domestic Park Reservations down 2% this quarter according to the CFO on the call. Film write off due to a Disneytoon Film and "another picture".

I hope Park revenues keep diving over the next few quarters so they put out some deals to get bookings up. Fiscal year ends in September I think. They might want to push people into the parks for the next year as to bolster numbers before they announce a closer date for SWGE.

Parks revenues are NOT down; previous post was only about "domestic resort reservations" -- they appear to attribute to reduced room inventory due to room refurbishments and conversions. While they cite reservations down 2%, they cite per room spending up 8%.

Call transcript: "Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 6% to $5.2 billion and segment operating income increased 15% to $1.3 billion. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to increases across key operations. Results this year included only one week of the Easter holiday period, whereas third-quarter results last year reflected the benefit of both weeks of the holiday period. We estimate this drove an adverse impact to operating income of 47 million dollars or 4 percentage points on the year-over-year growth rate. Despite this headwind, the segment once again delivered very strong results with revenue and operating income setting new Q3 records.

Higher operating income at our domestic parks and resorts was primarily due to increased guest spending, partially offset by higher costs. Per capita spending at our domestic parks was up 5% on higher admissions, food and beverage and merchandise spending. Per room spending at our domestic hotels was up 8%.

Attendance at our domestic parks was up 1% in the quarter and reflects about a 1 percentage point adverse impact from the timing of the Easter holiday. Occupancy at our domestic hotels was down about two percentage points to 86% reflecting reduced room inventory due to room refurbishments and conversions.

So far this quarter, domestic resort reservations are pacing down 2% compared to prior year, while booked rates are pacing up 7%."

Parks revenues are NOT down; previous post was only about "domestic resort reservations" -- they appear to attribute to reduced room inventory due to room refurbishments and conversions. While they cite reservations down 2%, they cite per room spending up 8%.

Call transcript: "Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 6% to $5.2 billion and segment operating income increased 15% to $1.3 billion. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to increases across key operations. Results this year included only one week of the Easter holiday period, whereas third-quarter results last year reflected the benefit of both weeks of the holiday period. We estimate this drove an adverse impact to operating income of 47 million dollars or 4 percentage points on the year-over-year growth rate. Despite this headwind, the segment once again delivered very strong results with revenue and operating income setting new Q3 records.

Higher operating income at our domestic parks and resorts was primarily due to increased guest spending, partially offset by higher costs. Per capita spending at our domestic parks was up 5% on higher admissions, food and beverage and merchandise spending. Per room spending at our domestic hotels was up 8%.

Attendance at our domestic parks was up 1% in the quarter and reflects about a 1 percentage point adverse impact from the timing of the Easter holiday. Occupancy at our domestic hotels was down about two percentage points to 86% reflecting reduced room inventory due to room refurbishments and conversions.

So far this quarter, domestic resort reservations are pacing down 2% compared to prior year, while booked rates are pacing up 7%."

The up 5 percent though could easily translate to the increase in pricing. I wonder how that would figure if they did the same math minus the yearly price increases

Sounds like a cool and innovative new way....to move you around in front of a screen. :rolleyes1

I really don't get this. Disney is using screens for everything but only Universal gets hate. Flight of Passage is hailed as the greatest ride ever, but it's just the old quarter horse ride in front of Walmart, except you're facing a screen. Navi River Journey has screens throughout the ride. Ratatouille is a spiderman rip-off with loads of screens, but people can't contain their hype. Shanghai Pirates of the Caribbean and is hailed as the best PotC, but it's loaded with screens. Toy Story Midway Mania is literally only screens. Runaway Railroad is using screens. The 2 Star Wars rides are both using screens.

Screens aren't a bad thing, and Universal isn't the only park using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter