News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
News

John Lasseter's six month leave is almost up and nobody knows what is going to happen next...

https://www.fastcompany.com/40551146/inside-disney-and-pixar-the-debate-over-john-lasseters-return

This, however, I care very much about! I've been wondering a lot about what will happen around John Lasseter, and the precedent Disney will set both for their company and the animation industry with their decision. Of course he's integral to the company in many ways, but welcoming him back could very well do lasting damage to their "family friendly" brand in today's cultural climate.

Definitely an interesting situation. At the time my thinking was they hoped that over time things would calm down in the world and he could come back (relatively) quietly and move on.... but obviously this issue is still very prominent and I just don't see how he could come back and head the studio like that. Maybe a consultant or something but probably best for everyone involved that he just stay away

This, however, I care very much about! I've been wondering a lot about what will happen around John Lasseter, and the precedent Disney will set both for their company and the animation industry with their decision. Of course he's integral to the company in many ways, but welcoming him back could very well do lasting damage to their "family friendly" brand in today's cultural climate.
They really should have just let him go back in November. It looks like they badly misunderstood the magnitude of the issue and were just trying to ride out the #MeToo movement. Mr. Lasseter should have just left contritely, quietly formed his own consulting firm and been a silent partner with Pixar. I'm guessing that is what will ultimately happen.

Definitely an interesting situation. At the time my thinking was they hoped that over time things would calm down in the world and he could come back (relatively) quietly and move on.... but obviously this issue is still very prominent and I just don't see how he could come back and head the studio like that. Maybe a consultant or something but probably best for everyone involved that he just stay away
If the allegations against him have an ounce of truth they should have fired him by now. If there is nothing to the allegations then he should have been back by now or not even have taken the leave. The fact he willingly took the leave leads me to believe he knows he was in the wrong. Think about it, if someone makes false allegations against you wouldn’t you fight back? Why would someone take a leave if that person had really done nothing wrong? I think Disney knew allegations were at least partially true, if not totally true, to put him on leave. If someone has truly done nothing wrong they shouldn’t be placed on leave. This all came out right before the Fox deal went down, iirc. I think Disney wanted to shut all the players up so that there would be little bad press before such a high stakes deal.

That said, I really want the whole Lasseter story to be false. I really do. But I just think that forced apology he released and the leave of absence just points to an attempt at damage control for a situation that could cost them millions between lawsuits and bad press, etc.

They really should have just let him go back in November. It looks like they badly misunderstood the magnitude of the issue and were just trying to ride out the #MeToo movement. Mr. Lasseter should have just left contritely, quietly formed his own consulting firm and been a silent partner with Pixar. I'm guessing that is what will ultimately happen.

If I recall correctly it seemed like they announced this hiatus and then the article came out (they were around the same time, forget which exactly came first) - but I don't believe there was ever a formal complaint filed against him like there has been for others - so just legally I think it is hard to fire someone when nothing formally/legally filed against them. He could have left on his own but I don't know if Disney could have forced it - so I saw the hiatus as sort of a compromise to get him away from the company when the fire was the hottest ... but obviously things haven't really died down but at the same time I don't think anything new about him / these allegations have come out ... but I do think the outcome you describe can still happen now - he just decides that wouldn't be right to come back and take his prior role and instead leaves and forms some sort of consultancy

If I recall correctly it seemed like they announced this hiatus and then the article came out (they were around the same time, forget which exactly came first) - but I don't believe there was ever a formal complaint filed against him like there has been for others - so just legally I think it is hard to fire someone when nothing formally/legally filed against them. He could have left on his own but I don't know if Disney could have forced it - so I saw the hiatus as sort of a compromise to get him away from the company when the fire was the hottest ... but obviously things haven't really died down but at the same time I don't think anything new about him / these allegations have come out ... but I do think the outcome you describe can still happen now - he just decides that wouldn't be right to come back and take his prior role and instead leaves and forms some sort of consultancy
Just because nothing was formally filed doesn’t mean there wasn’t some sort of settlement between Disney and those that made the allegations. Most high profile companies will settle or attempt to settle to avoid formal trials and such. We will never know the details of how this was handled internally.

If the allegations against him have an ounce of truth they should have fired him by now. If there is nothing to the allegations then he should have been back by now or not even have taken the leave. The fact he willingly took the leave leads me to believe he knows he was in the wrong. Think about it, if someone makes false allegations against you wouldn’t you fight back? Why would someone take a leave if that person had really done nothing wrong? I think Disney knew allegations were at least partially true, if not totally true, to put him on leave. If someone has truly done nothing wrong they shouldn’t be placed on leave. This all came out right before the Fox deal went down, iirc. I think Disney wanted to shut all the players up so that there would be little bad press before such a high stakes deal.

That said, I really want the whole Lasseter story to be false. I really do. But I just think that forced apology he released and the leave of absence just points to an attempt at damage control for a situation that could cost them millions between lawsuits and bad press, etc.

right, but you are just speculating/putting 2 and 2 together ... you are probably right, but there hasn't been anything formal files against him so legally there aren't grounds to terminate him. I agree they wanted to do damage control and try to get ahead of things a bit but things having died down in the world and I don't see anyway he can come back and take the role he had before

Just because nothing was formally filed doesn’t mean there wasn’t some sort of settlement between Disney and those that made the allegations. Most high profile companies will settle or attempt to settle to avoid formal trials and such. We will never know the details of how this was handled internally.

of course not - I don't know what happened and neither do you. But things also do have to follow the correct legal protocol ... if we start firing people for what may have happened or some reports of something happening in an article - whether to be proven to be true or not - that is a potentially dangerous residence.

right, but you are just speculating/putting 2 and 2 together ... you are probably right, but there hasn't been anything formal files against him so legally there aren't grounds to terminate him. I agree they wanted to do damage control and try to get ahead of things a bit but things having died down in the world and I don't see anyway he can come back and take the role he had before
That’s just the thing, if there was nothing to the story there would have been no need for such damage control. Disney would have kept him on, defended him, and moved on.
If he really didn’t do anything they wouldn’t have forced him to write (or have someone write for him) that apology.

of course not - I don't know what happened and neither do you. But things also do have to follow the correct legal protocol ... if we start firing people for what may have happened or some reports of something happening in an article - whether to be proven to be true or not - that is a potentially dangerous residence.
I agree, but legal protocol doesn’t involve formal charges or complaints. It could involve hr complaints or internal actions. I’m not suggesting he be forced if he’s innocent. Heck, if he was innocent he should never have been put on leave. Like I said, I really had hoped he was innocent. But the writing is on the wall here.

I know this is going down a bad road but I don't think the Lasseter situation was of the magnitude of say something like Weinstein. It seemed Lasseter's biggest fault if true was weird touching and kissing. Lasseter when he left said he was going to seek help as part of his leave. I agree with you that I want the story to be false. We never had anyone reveal themselves publicly against Lasseter like many other aspects of the movement. It was all an anonymous story from the Hollywood Reporter.

That’s just the thing, if there was nothing to the story there would have been no need for such damage control. Disney would have kept him on, defended him, and moved on.
If he really didn’t do anything they wouldn’t have forced him to write (or have someone write for him) that apology.
I feel Disney didn't know how to act with this. It was probably something they didn't think would happen to their company. Disney PR never said anything and still isn't saying anything. They aren't defending anyone on either side. Lasseter himself made the statement and Disney supported his leave of absence thats about it.

I think you underestimate the fan base. For example, my parents were in New Zealand a few months back and they visited some of the filming sites. Jammed with tourists. Said you couldn't move at Hobbiton and the tourists were from all over the world. Tolkien's Middle Earth is one of the most popular literary settings of all time. It doesn't need a current movie to draw people to a theme park.

If Uni gets the rights and does this well, it will rival Star Wars and Harry Potter. It will be interesting to see if the trust finally loosens its grip.

It would be amazing if Universal could secure rights to LotR. I’ve been to New Zealand many times and, as a fan of the books and movies, have visited Hobbiton, Weta Studios and the Weta Digital server rendering farm next to the Wellington airport where Avatar, the LotR and Hobbit movies, King Kong, Narnia etc footage and effects have been created. The detail and craftsmanship of these locations are amazing.

A license for LotR coupled with a partnership with Weta to use existing digital models, their artists/craftsman to design/build the land and rides could create a world that would rival any environment we’ve seen in Disney or UNiversal so far...check out the links below to see examples of their work.

https://www.hobbitontours.com/en/
http://wetaworkshop.com/

I know this is going down a bad road but I don't think the Lasseter situation was of the magnitude of say something like Weinstein. It seemed Lasseter's biggest fault if true was weird touching and kissing. Lasseter when he left said he was going to seek help as part of his leave. I agree with you that I want the story to be false. We never had anyone reveal themselves publicly against Lasseter like many other aspects of the movement. It was all an anonymous story from the Hollywood Reporter.
I agree it didn’t sound like Weinstein but still. When you go to work do people try to touch you? Kiss you? I would like to think if someone got an unwanted hug they would let that person know it wasn’t welcome. I get he was a super hugger. I get that people make stories up for whatever sick reasons (I knew a girl in high school that did this to several guys). But this just sounded like something bigger than unwanted hugs or such. The whole situation makes me sad and angry. I will stop talking about it now because I’m just going in circles. I’m not on a witch hunt and I’m surely not calling for anyone’s head whose actions were misunderstood or innocent. I’m just incredibly let down that someone I admired so much turned out not to be who I thought he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter