News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
If CA is an At Will state, it won't matter. They can terminate him for any reason.

I agree it didn’t sound like Weinstein but still. When you go to work do people try to touch you? Kiss you? I would like to think if someone got an unwanted hug they would let that person know it wasn’t welcome. I get he was a super hugger. I get that people make stories up for whatever sick reasons (I knew a girl in high school that did this to several guys). But this just sounded like something bigger than unwanted hugs or such. The whole situation makes me sad and angry. I will stop talking about it now because I’m just going in circles. I’m not on a witch hunt and I’m surely not calling for anyone’s head whose actions were misunderstood or innocent. I’m just incredibly let down that someone I admired so much turned out not to be who I thought he was.

I totally get that and agree. Not sure if you saw Sarah Silverman talking about Louis C.K. but I sort of feel similar - she expressed how she has these mixed emotions of being disappointed and disgusted with what he did but still have positive feeling / care about him because of everything from their past. Obviously I find what he did reprehensible and wish none of it was true but also still appreciate the work he did and what he did for Pixar, etc.

I totally get that and agree. Not sure if you saw Sarah Silverman talking about Louis C.K. but I sort of feel similar - she expressed how she has these mixed emotions of being disappointed and disgusted with what he did but still have positive feeling / care about him because of everything from their past. Obviously I find what he did reprehensible and wish none of it was true but also still appreciate the work he did and what he did for Pixar, etc.
I did see that. I thought she did an amazing job verbalizing how she felt and it does sort of sum it up well.
ETA I will always appreciate Lasseter’s contributions to animation parks, etc. That part won’t change.

I viewed your comment as there were theme park rumors about LOR back in 2005. I will believe it when I see, which I don't think will happen in my lifetime.

While caution is never a bad trait, it is worth noting that this situation has a fundamental difference than the rumors of 2005. Christopher Tolkien stepped down as the director of the estate last November. He had been planning to do so up to a year prior. It is not a coincidence that Amazon's deal for TV rights to LoTR was announced right around that time. The number of rumors surrounding Universal and LoTR rights have been around long enough that it goes beyond wishful thinking, to the point that they *have* tried to acquire them in the past.

If the new estate directors (presumably Christopher's children) are open to TV deals that Christopher wouldn't have previously considered, then is it all that far fetched to think they wouldn't be against theme park rights either?

Another huge difference is Harry Potter. In 2005 there was not an entire land in Universal dedicated to a fantasy IP and Disney World didn't have anything like Pandora, which explores their ability to build a land around an external IP. While it is likely harder to understand exactly how much revenue Pandora may be adding to AK, it is fairly easy to see how much money HP has brought in for Universal. It has completely rejuvenated their theme parks division.

If I'm Universal, and I'm trying to buy LoTR rights, the first thing I'm going to do is pounce on new estate holders and present them the numbers that show just how lucrative a deal like this can be.

The combination of proven money (as proven by HP) and people willing to make deals (as proven by the Amazon TV deal) means this is a totally different situation than the previous times this rumor has come up.

Really neat to see it start to take shape. One thing I hadn't considered and I'm not sure why I hadn't before..that the poles take away parking spaces depending on where the pole is (since in some spots it wasn't an actual parking space where the pole was placed)..maybe not a whole lot but in one picture I see it took up 4 parking spaces which is up to 8 vehicles.

While caution is never a bad trait, it is worth noting that this situation has a fundamental difference than the rumors of 2005. Christopher Tolkien stepped down as the director of the estate last November. He had been planning to do so up to a year prior. It is not a coincidence that Amazon's deal for TV rights to LoTR was announced right around that time. The number of rumors surrounding Universal and LoTR rights have been around long enough that it goes beyond wishful thinking, to the point that they *have* tried to acquire them in the past.

If the new estate directors (presumably Christopher's children) are open to TV deals that Christopher wouldn't have previously considered, then is it all that far fetched to think they wouldn't be against theme park rights either?

Another huge difference is Harry Potter. In 2005 there was not an entire land in Universal dedicated to a fantasy IP and Disney World didn't have anything like Pandora, which explores their ability to build a land around an external IP. While it is likely harder to understand exactly how much revenue Pandora may be adding to AK, it is fairly easy to see how much money HP has brought in for Universal. It has completely rejuvenated their theme parks division.

If I'm Universal, and I'm trying to buy LoTR rights, the first thing I'm going to do is pounce on new estate holders and present them the numbers that show just how lucrative a deal like this can be.

The combination of proven money (as proven by HP) and people willing to make deals (as proven by the Amazon TV deal) means this is a totally different situation than the previous times this rumor has come up.

I agree. If Christopher Tolkien (keep wanting to say Walken) stepped down, then things "may" be different. I don't doubt Universal and Disney have sincerely tried to get the rights. It wasn't either of them that was holding back; it was always the estate.

There's no reason he can't fix it. I'm guessing the last episode went against more than a few things Abrams was planning. It's why I don't think the 2 episodes flow very well. Hopefully Abrams will have the ability and desire to put it right in Episode IX.

I still don’t believe she is....:-)
Same, if you watch the director documentary thingy on the bluray for Last Jedi, it felt to me like they very deliberately never actually said any words that equated to, "Her parents are nobodies". They do repeatedly say instead something to the effect of she realizes she has to find out for herself, that there won't be any answers given to her. So I'm still of the camp that we don't have a definitive answer on her lineage yet.

Same, if you watch the director documentary thingy on the bluray for Last Jedi, it felt to me like they very deliberately never actually said any words that equated to, "Her parents are nobodies". They do repeatedly say instead something to the effect of she realizes she has to find out for herself, that there won't be any answers given to her. So I'm still of the camp that we don't have a definitive answer on her lineage yet.

Yea even when Kylo said she was from junk dealer nobodies-he said Snoke told him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter