News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a bunch of stuff like that (The death certificates at the Haunted Mansion, the maps at the Jungle cruise, etc.) that work in small doses but with the advent of the internet, just too easy for too many people to find out about them

For what it's worth, when I went to Disneyland in 2015 I was able to get a Jungle Cruise map. I had to tell them a corny joke though (which I always have prepared anyways).

Welcome to 2005

I know J.R.R. Tolkien despised Walt Disney. His son Christopher Tolkien was very protective of his father's work/legacy. While he was in charge of the estate, I would think this idea was laughable. Now that his son isn't the director of the Tolkien estate anymore, it will definitely be interesting to see what happens.

Welcome to 2005

Lord of the Rings has been around for around 60-70 years. It is one of the most popular book series of all time and Return of the King frequently is referenced in one of the top movies of all time list. It seems like every time you turn on the TV one of the 6 movies is on. Finally, due to it being the poster child for fantasy, the theming possibilities are endless. This would be a tremendous IP for Universal.

Welcome to 2005
I think you underestimate the fan base. For example, my parents were in New Zealand a few months back and they visited some of the filming sites. Jammed with tourists. Said you couldn't move at Hobbiton and the tourists were from all over the world. Tolkien's Middle Earth is one of the most popular literary settings of all time. It doesn't need a current movie to draw people to a theme park.

If Uni gets the rights and does this well, it will rival Star Wars and Harry Potter. It will be interesting to see if the trust finally loosens its grip.

News

The Tomorrowland Movers (PeopleMover) have won the 2018 March Magic Tournament! This is the 2nd year in a row that the Movers have won.

Go PeopleMover, but I really wish the Voices of Liberty won this year!

I got the monorail shirt.

I still need to get the Voices of Liberty shirt...

I ordered the people mover & world showcase shirts (second was 40% off). Lord only knows when they actually will arrive.

Lord of the Rings has been around for around 60-70 years. It is one of the most popular book series of all time and Return of the King frequently is referenced in one of the top movies of all time list. It seems like every time you turn on the TV one of the 6 movies is on. Finally, due to it being the poster child for fantasy, the theming possibilities are endless. This would be a tremendous IP for Universal.

Yeah it's an absolute home run. They did an amazing job with Wizarding World, I can see them doing amazing things with the wealth of content from LotR. I'm hoping one day someone picks up Star Trek, but I know there's some weirdness over who owns what in regards to that IP.

Not a fan of LotR personally, but it is very popular. (Not sure it is at the level of Harry Potter and Star Wars.) The more interesting thing is if universal does open a third theme park. (Sorry, not falling for that "fourth park BS.) A third park does truly make universal a week long destination, which it currently isn't even with Harry Potter and a water park. As has been said, the completion is good though. The problem really becomes finding employees, which are already very thin in Florida.

Welcome to 2005
I suspect there will always be some fanbase for Lord of the Rings. It's a book that has been around for decades and attracts new readers all the time.

It's interesting to us, though, that US park IP just doesn't come close to appealing to our family as much as Disney IP does. I'm in the HATE Avatar bucket, but appreciate that Disney created an excellent ride and cool land. There just isn't enough to draw us to US, though I suspect they'd do a good job with a LOTR land. We saw US Hollywood (for Walking Dead!!), and the Potter stuff is certainly cute. No division there between that section and the rest of the park which doesn't make it as immersive as it could otherwise be, but well-executed for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter