News Round Up 2017

That's a good point. I told my husband it would be unlikely to contain elements like loops and whatnot and described it as more of a tame ride.

In their own description they say "thrill ride" but also "it will be fun for the entire family" but then they say "most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created" so it's still going to be a coaster but then they say "It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way".

Totally seems like it's all over the place lol. But I do think they probably need to be careful about balancing taking away a high thrill coaster and replacing it with not enough thrill ride. I don't think there would be a problem at all if they were adding a new attraction for those young young kids but in this case they are taking away an attraction and one that was of a high thrill in respects to the park as a whole.

To me, Universal has plenty of thrills, even taking out one of it's thrill coasters. Would be nice to have a few more rides that more people could enjoy, but on the other hand, if it's a ride that's not 90% movie screens that alone is a major plus.

I know it is OT, but is Universal out of space?

They always have to close one to create a new ride.
They do have space constraints to work with. They are fairly landlocked so expansion of the existing park is harder. There are apartments and housing development right around them for the most part. I think inside their parks they have some wiggle room here and there but not much really.

To me, Universal has plenty of thrills, even taking out one of it's thrill coasters. Would be nice to have a few more rides that more people could enjoy, but on the other hand, if it's a ride that's not 90% movie screens that alone is a major plus.
Completely agree with you on the screens part.

They do have thrills but I guess my point is isn't not just a "taking out one of it's thrill coasters" is that the coaster they are taking out is high thrill. If they took out the mummy for example..that's a thrill coaster but it's not that same thrill as dragon challenge.

But it is all about balance to me at least.

Where are all the cries of "2 years to build a ride? It only took them 2 years to build all of Islands of Adventure." :stir:
I've often thought about that type of comparison really. Starting from scratch=X amount of time and re-doing or adding=Y amount of time.

I'm wondering if at least some parts of it are related to normal construction stuff (time, space, expense, labor, etc). Weird example for sure but for my house it would have cost less and would likely take less time if we had our basement finished during the construction of our house (our basement is unfinished at this point). We were advised at the time that if we do decide to have our builder come out and finish our basement for us at a later date it will be around 10-15% more expensive than during the construction of the house.

Completely agree with you on the screens part.

They do have thrills but I guess my point is isn't not just a "taking out one of it's thrill coasters" is that the coaster they are taking out is high thrill. If they took out the mummy for example..that's a thrill coaster but it's not that same thrill as dragon challenge.

But it is all about balance to me at least.

It's pretty subjective. I'll agree that DC has a higher thrill element than Mummy. But as somewhat of a coast snob, DC is not even something I concern myself with riding when I go to US/IOA, which probably only once every 3-4 years/Disney trips. It's fine, but nothing amazing IMO. My opinion is no more valid than your's. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way, and thousands more who don't even do coasters at all. I'm excited to see what they put in it's place. I can get similar and better coaster thrills at six flags.

It's pretty subjective. I'll agree that DC has a higher thrill element than Mummy. But as somewhat of a coast snob, DC is not even something I concern myself with riding when I go to US/IOA, which probably only once every 3-4 years/Disney trips. It's fine, but nothing amazing IMO. My opinion is no more valid than your's. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way, and thousands more who don't even do coasters at all. I'm excited to see what they put in it's place. I can get similar and better coaster thrills at six flags.
Yeah but the thing is I don't really compare WDW and USO to outside stuff. I've got Worlds of Fun right near me (45min drive) and a 3ish hr drive east is Six Flags.

My husband doesn't say "well I won't go on this because I can go on something similar at WOF or Six Flags"..nah he's going to go on the rides he wants to while he is at Universal.

Similarly at Worlds of Fun there's Fury of the Nile which is like Kali River Rapids at AK which is like Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges at IOA which is just like Thunder River at Six Flags St. Louis. But if I'm at each of those places I'm not going to say "well we have this at X place so meh not going to bother with it"..nah I'm going to ride that while I'm there at that place.

I knew one day we'd agree on something, I just didn't know it was gonna be today :)

HaHa well that's good. Seriously not even close to kidding-its just awful news. I may even say any ride at Disney could go instead.

HaHa well that's good. Seriously not even close to kidding-its just awful news. I may even say any ride at Disney could go instead.

I was upset when they originally re themed it.

We were planning a trip for next year as our oldest is finally old enough to get the most out of IOA/US. This seriously puts that in jeopardy, as dumb as that sounds. There were two great coasters, now just one. Get rid of the Hippogriph!

The arch that says "Go!" makes me think it would have to be a fast start air cannon type rather than a chain lift up a hill.

It will be LSM launched twice, once at the beginning of the ride and a 2nd time where you see "Go!". LSM essentially means electromagnetic motors will be used to repel other magnets to propel the train forward.

That's similar to the technology used on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, but that old ride doesn't have the magnets attached to the trains like Slinky Dog will. On RnR, they actually use a pusher sled which propels the coaster train at launch. All of the magnets are mounted on the pusher sled. You'll notice right before the launch on RnR the train is backed up slightly, that is done to make sure the train is engaged with the sled. When the launch happens, it is only this sled under the tracks which is magnetically propelled. This sled pushes against a mount on the bottom of the train car which brings the train up to speed. When the train is up to speed the pusher sled stops and reverses course back to the beginning to get ready for the next train while the train it just pushed continues on through the course. With this type of old technology you can only have a launch at the beginning of the ride (unless you came to a complete stop somewhere else and had the train engaged onto another sled).

Slinky Dog will be like most other modern LSM launched coasters in that the magnets will be mounted to the train cars themselves. Fins in the middle of the track will be energized to directly repel these magnets which will accelerate the train. With this newer type of setup coasters can have multiple launches, either from a stand still or even booster launches while the train is already in motion. That will be what you experience on this ride. It will have an LSM launch at the beginning to get you through the first part of the ride and then a second LSM launch mid-course where you see the "Go!" sign.

They took out the "duel" part right? I think it was a bit more thrilling when they had the two trains heading right at each other

They took out the "duel" part right? I think it was a bit more thrilling when they had the two trains heading right at each other
Yes. They got tired of paying out lawsuits from having coins and other loose stuff flinging out of one train (intentionally or not) and hitting guests in the other.

I think the track still makes it pretty darn thrilling but the duel part added an extra edge to it. At least to me it's sorta like how on certain roller coasters you know you're not going to hit your head but when you go under something that seems too low there's that added aspect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter