News Round Up 2017

Yes! Looks like it'll be pretty comparable to 7DMT in length and maybe BTMRR in thrills, which I think is not a surprise. People will complain that that ride is short, but shorter coasters make for more throughput of people, so it's a tough balance.

The thing that strikes me about this is how sprawling it is. With the mountain coasters, Disney has kept them all very compact. This seems more like an amusement park coaster where it sprawls over a large area and is designed to draw the eye to it. .

I think this stick more with the theme, right? The idea is we are in Andy's back yard, and he built a coaster out of an erector set or some similar toy. To have something tightly packed around a central edifice would not really work with that theme. Having the coaster track go through and over various toys will make it work even better.

What kind of start/lift system is it? The arch that says "Go!" makes me think it would have to be a fast start air cannon type rather than a chain lift up a hill. That said, I've not heard anything before seeing the go that would make me think anything other than chain lift. Any insight?

That's a good question. That "GO" sign looks to be in the middle of the ride, NOT at the start. Looking at the below picture (taken from WDWmagic and full credit to them), I would assume the start is at the bottom right, but the first hill looks like it goes immediately into a bank twist (Center Left). The banking on the rise of that hill makes it look like there is NO chain on the lift hill, so there must be sort of propulsion. The long straightaway leading up to that hill is another indicator of this.

After that initial hill, there's a long flat stretch where the "GO" sign is, and the another hill into a banked turn. This to implies a SECOND launch point, again without a lift hill. The track also has a nifty spot on the second downhill (just right of the alien whip) where the track jogs up-and-down or side-to-side, not sure which. Then several sharp banks before the end.

Overall, it really looks like it might be a fun little coaster.

Toy-Story-Land_Full_30615.jpg

https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/new-ride-wwohp-hogsmeade/

Dragon Challenge is out and new ride is in for 2019!

I hope it's Forbidden Forest
And that brings the total to 6 rides closed for my trip between WDW and USO :sad:. Three are refurbs and three are permanent closures.

Knew it was rumored though so I wasn't blindsided but still didn't want it to close so soon. I don't ride that ride but my husband does. I think there will be upset people though in that they are turning a thrill ride with loops and whatnot into a family ride.

Universal says (part of the article at least):

• This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.
  • The new attraction will be one of the most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way.
So it will still be a coaster but something that the whole family can ride so at least to me that means more tame compared to what the Dragon Challenge is.

I texted my husband and his response was "noooo they are closing my ride"

• This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.
  • The new attraction will be one of the most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way.
So it will still be a coaster but something that the whole family can ride so at least to me that means more tame compared to what the Dragon Challenge is.

Sorry that so many rides will be closed :( I had that blind sided feeling when the Great Movie Ride was announced to close in August. I have a trip for December and thought it would remain open through then.

I'm hoping it will be a Forbidden Forest ride, that would fit with the Hogsmeade theme.

Your husband isn't alone, the social media response is not being kind to Universal. Lots of people who go to those parks love their coasters.

I'm ok with it because I like the rides that are heavily themed and Dragon Challenge was just lightly re-themed to HP.

Now I'm having trouble thinking how it will be a 'thrill ride' yet be fun for the entire family.

Yes! Looks like it'll be pretty comparable to 7DMT in length and maybe BTMRR in thrills, which I think is not a surprise. People will complain that that ride is short, but shorter coasters make for more throughput of people, so it's a tough balance.

I think this stick more with the theme, right? The idea is we are in Andy's back yard, and he built a coaster out of an erector set or some similar toy. To have something tightly packed around a central edifice would not really work with that theme. Having the coaster track go through and over various toys will make it work even better.

Absolutely. I'm not complaining, it's just not something I'm used to seeing from Disney and, as I said, I'll be interested to see the theming.

And that brings the total to 6 rides closed for my trip between WDW and USO :sad:. Three are refurbs and three are permanent closures.

Knew it was rumored though so I wasn't blindsided but still didn't want it to close so soon. I don't ride that ride but my husband does. I think there will be upset people though in that they are turning a thrill ride with loops and whatnot into a family ride.

Universal says (part of the article at least):

Kinda sad as we didn't get a chance to try it yet, my son is 52" so we haven't been on a few of those coasters yet. But I'm hopeful it'll still be fun and a lot more Harry Potter that what it seemed to be as of now.

What kind of start/lift system is it? The arch that says "Go!" makes me think it would have to be a fast start air cannon type rather than a chain lift up a hill. That said, I've not heard anything before seeing the go that would make me think anything other than chain lift. Any insight?
It has two launches. No lifts.

Sorry that so many rides will be closed :( I had that blind sided feeling when the Great Movie Ride was announced to close in August. I have a trip for December and thought it would remain open through then.
Ugh yeah. I knew GMR and Ellen's Energy Adventure were rumored to go and had a strong feeling GMR would be gone before my trip but still is sad. The closure that blindsided me the most was Splash Mountain though I've had a longer time to deal with that since it was announced a while back.

I'm hoping it will be a Forbidden Forest ride, that would fit with the Hogsmeade theme.
Me too. I think Forbidden Forest would be pretty darn cool IMO.

Your husband isn't alone, the social media response is not being kind to Universal. Lots of people who go to those parks love their coasters.
That's good to know. He really is more of a thrill coaster person too.

Now I'm having trouble thinking how it will be a 'thrill ride' yet be fun for the entire family.
I'm the same way. I read the story and was left a bit confused by how they are doing the new coaster.

Kinda sad as we didn't get a chance to try it yet, my son is 52" so we haven't been on a few of those coasters yet.
Aww I'm sorry to hear that. That's a bummer for sure.

But I'm hopeful it'll still be fun and a lot more Harry Potter that what it seemed to be as of now.
I'm excited that they are going to make it HP still and look forward to that aspect of more in-depth theming so there is that :flower1:

"Fun for the entire family" means slightly different at Universal than it does at Disney. They would probably say that about Gringotts, though my wife and 13-year old daughter both had their eyes closed for most of it. It would actually be nice if they built a Harry Potter ride the kids under 7 could enjoy besides the train and the Hippogriff.

I'm ok with it because I like the rides that are heavily themed and Dragon Challenge was just lightly re-themed to HP.

I almost got a concussion on that ride so I am pretty pumped tbh

"Fun for the entire family" means slightly different at Universal than it does at Disney. They would probably say that about Gringotts, though my wife and 13-year old daughter both had their eyes closed for most of it. It would actually be nice if they built a Harry Potter ride the kids under 7 could enjoy besides the train and the Hippogriff.

I'm with you. I still want my Harry Potter dark ride that takes you through your first year. A dark ride that goes in water then switches to a track. So you could start out in your boat floating towards Hogwarts. Think a giant room like the POTC ship attack room. Then you go onto land and ride through some of the class rooms and get to see teachers and magic, then head out to the Forbidden Forest and such.

That's a good point. I told my husband it would be unlikely to contain elements like loops and whatnot and described it as more of a tame ride.

In their own description they say "thrill ride" but also "it will be fun for the entire family" but then they say "most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created" so it's still going to be a coaster but then they say "It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way".

Totally seems like it's all over the place lol. But I do think they probably need to be careful about balancing taking away a high thrill coaster and replacing it with not enough thrill ride. I don't think there would be a problem at all if they were adding a new attraction for those young young kids but in this case they are taking away an attraction and one that was of a high thrill in respects to the park as a whole.

I know it is OT, but is Universal out of space?

They always have to close one to create a new ride.

Yes - they are pretty much out of space within the existing theme park footprint. That's why discussion of the land they bought up the road and a 3rd park keeps popping up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter