News Round Up 2017

I think it was due to grad nights being last weekend, one of the AP levels being not blacked out this weekend and something else.

It's pretty crazy right now and a lot of people who don't follow crowd levels are getting nasty surprises when they discover how busy it's been lately. This weekend there were several posts on my Facebook timeline about crowds, and a CM friend of mine got extended to a 12 hour shift today. Yikes! Makes me real nervous for my plan to go next weekend for the Guardians opening.

I'll try to be unbiased.

That's gonna be tough to filter since I'm not gonna be there for awhile...

I really don't want a "sage" kinda take...really i don't...I want honest.

But that's likely not gonna begotten here as we'll get hundreds of "omg! It's amazing!!!" Without nearly as much thought as warranted for the time it took and the budget and permenantly altering the park theme.

I've heard (not to jack)...that the attractions are short...way too short...and may underwhelm...and then it's just scenery based on...well, whatever avatar is...

An hour diversion...I shockingly heard that the other day from a Disney fan who isn't prone to criticism like I've heard "some" people might be ;)

I have always said that Pandora was an intriguing concept for Disney and a less than safe move to make. But that is why I was always drawn to it…the fact that it was an unusual move. Some say a desperate move after bungling Potter…but I don't buy into that line of thinking.

Having visited 3 times this past week I can say that what I have experienced was extraordinary. I have been to Diagon Alley and was amazed (Hogwarts and Hogsmeade not as much). You were literally stepping into a movie. They had a concrete template for what that street looked like and they nailed it. I also loved Gringotts…some do not, but I really appreciated it for being an original type of ride: coaster-based, but one where you plunge, then stop, then start, then spin, then drop, then go backwards…you get the point. What is fortunate for UNI is that it is a wildly popular franchise with lovable characters. UNI at the time was being crushed by WDW, Rowling approached them and their response was, well, predictable. But they had a well documented franchise that was perfectly captured on film and meticulously recreated for the theme park. They did an incredibly wonderful job with it.

What Rohde and Cameron did to me is more impressive. Whether Iger and Staggs blanched on Potter and the quick response was Avatar is moot for me but others may choose to dwell on that. The Imagineers and Lightstorm have collaborated to produce something that is not a carbon copy of a place on film. It is a unique vision that have have created using concepts of said film. The result from a visual and immersive standpoint is staggering. The E-Ticket ride is incredible and exhilarating…you almost forget that you are on a simulator at times…it is really that good. The boat ride is a nice compliment and something for guests to enjoy Pandora at night in case their plans do not allow for them to be in Pandora when it truly is nighttime. The Satu'li Canteen is an ingenious QS that allows for a variety of choices through the concept of mix and match. The chicken with wild rice and creamy herb sauce was delicious…and it is served in real bowls with real silverware.

For me though, the real winner is the land itself. I am a professed sucker for theming and aesthetics, something that DAK already has copious amounts of. Well, Pandora increases this several fold. There are vistas here that are inspiring works of Imagineering, yes, but there are subtle touches throughout that one can spend hours capturing behind a lens if that is your vice. I took many photos, but just to be there was incredible. And we have as yet to enjoy the nighttime spectacle when the entire land glows at night. During our one evening AP time slot (6-8 PM) there were tons of folks hanging around, hoping that someone in charge changed their mind and decided to give everyone a treat…a glimpse of what it will be like. As I stood there someone next to me on their phone was recounting their time in Pandora that day. His description of FoP was funny, "That ride was IN…CREDIBLE." His pause for effect captured it perfectly. This is something that must be experienced in person to truly appreciate the scope of what has been accomplished. I am a fan…others won't be and that is fine. We all are entitled to our opinions…as long as others don't treat their opinions as gospel. I myself do not. I cannot wait to hear what others say once they step foot inside.

I have always said that Pandora was an intriguing concept for Disney and a less than safe move to make. But that is why I was always drawn to it…the fact that it was an unusual move. Some say a desperate move after bungling Potter…but I don't buy into that line of thinking.

Having visited 3 times this past week I can say that what I have experienced was extraordinary. I have been to Diagon Alley and was amazed (Hogwarts and Hogsmeade not as much). You were literally stepping into a movie. They had a concrete template for what that street looked like and they nailed it. I also loved Gringotts…some do not, but I really appreciated it for being an original type of ride: coaster-based, but one where you plunge, then stop, then start, then spin, then drop, then go backwards…you get the point. What is fortunate for UNI is that it is a wildly popular franchise with lovable characters. UNI at the time was being crushed by WDW, Rowling approached them and their response was, well, predictable. But they had a well documented franchise that was perfectly captured on film and meticulously recreated for the theme park. They did an incredibly wonderful job with it.

What Rohde and Cameron did to me is more impressive. Whether Iger and Staggs blanched on Potter and the quick response was Avatar is moot for me but others may choose to dwell on that. The Imagineers and Lightstorm have collaborated to produce something that is not a carbon copy of a place on film. It is a unique vision that have have created using concepts of said film. The result from a visual and immersive standpoint is staggering. The E-Ticket ride is incredible and exhilarating…you almost forget that you are on a simulator at times…it is really that good. The boat ride is a nice compliment and something for guests to enjoy Pandora at night in case their plans do not allow for them to be in Pandora when it truly is nighttime. The Satu'li Canteen is an ingenious QS that allows for a variety of choices through the concept of mix and match. The chicken with wild rice and creamy herb sauce was delicious…and it is served in real bowls with real silverware.

For me though, the real winner is the land itself. I am a professed sucker for theming and aesthetics, something that DAK already has copious amounts of. Well, Pandora increases this several fold. There are vistas here that are inspiring works of Imagineering, yes, but there are subtle touches throughout that one can spend hours capturing behind a lens if that is your vice. I took many photos, but just to be there was incredible. And we have as yet to enjoy the nighttime spectacle when the entire land glows at night. During our one evening AP time slot (6-8 PM) there were tons of folks hanging around, hoping that someone in charge changed their mind and decided to give everyone a treat…a glimpse of what it will be like. As I stood there someone next to me on their phone was recounting their time in Pandora that day. His description of FoP was funny, "That ride was IN…CREDIBLE." His pause for effect captured it perfectly. This is something that must be experienced in person to truly appreciate the scope of what has been accomplished. I am a fan…others won't be and that is fine. We all are entitled to our opinions…as long as others don't treat their opinions as gospel. I myself do not. I cannot wait to hear what others say once they step foot inside.

Hmmmm...gonna take awhile to process this one...

That's gonna be tough to filter since I'm not gonna be there for awhile...

I really don't want a "sage" kinda take...really i don't...I want honest.

But that's likely not gonna begotten here as we'll get hundreds of "omg! It's amazing!!!" Without nearly as much thought as warranted for the time it took and the budget and permenantly altering the park theme.

I've heard (not to jack)...that the attractions are short...way too short...and may underwhelm...and then it's just scenery based on...well, whatever avatar is...

An hour diversion...I shockingly heard that the other day from a Disney fan who isn't prone to criticism like I've heard "some" people might be ;)
Avatar is getting very positive reviews. Most say photos dot do the land justice.

Yes the boat ride is short but everyone says the AA is incredible. Other than some issues with the restraint flight of passage has good reviews too. There are numerous reviews out there.

Well said. Can't wait to see it May 31st.

Avatar is getting very positive reviews. Most say photos dot do the land justice.

Yes the boat ride is short but everyone says the AA is incredible. Other than some issues with the restraint flight of passage has good reviews too. There are numerous reviews out there.

yeah, but if one goes into it with an open mind you might actually like it and say something positive - can't let that happen ;)

I'm sorry if this has been reported.

Let the Paint the Night rumors begin again:

WDW News Today is reporting that sources at the Disneyland Resort told them that the very popular nighttime parade, Paint the Night, is packed and ready to be sent to an unknown location. They think that the location will be Walt Disney World.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/05/rumor-paint-night-electrical-parade-packed-leave-disneyland-going/
Yeah there is another thread on it. I just don't see it moving yet. Personally I think WDW needs its own new parade not PTN.

Yeah there is another thread on it. I just don't see it moving yet. Personally I think WDW needs its own new parade not PTN.
Alright. Sorry. I went all the way back to before May 19th (when the article was published), and I didn't see this reported on here. I usually don't find myself on other threads in this forum lol.

I would agree that it needs a new parade. I know there is a lot of Pixar represented in PTN. I think that Paint the Night works better at DL more than at WDW for that reason.

k, but, here's my thing. Disclaimer: I have not stepped foot into Pandora... yet. However, the River Journey seems to focus on this one of a kind AA. In fact, it's the pinnacle of the ride. You take a slow moving ride through, albeit impressive, projection and scenery, to see ONE animatronic singing a song flailing away and then get off the ride. That, to me, is very underwhelming. Now, had they had a WHOLE RIDE of these animatronics, I might be a little more impressed. I'm not really understanding the point of this ride. FOP, even though I have not ridden, and possibly may not be able to (fingers crossed :wizard: that I've dropped enough lbs) I think is impressive and that just uses tech we already have.

I don't know, but the river ride may be one of those one and done kinda deals.

k, but, here's my thing. Disclaimer: I have not stepped foot into Pandora... yet. However, the River Journey seems to focus on this one of a kind AA. In fact, it's the pinnacle of the ride. You take a slow moving ride through, albeit impressive, projection and scenery, to see ONE animatronic singing a song flailing away and then get off the ride. That, to me, is very underwhelming. Now, had they had a WHOLE RIDE of these animatronics, I might be a little more impressed. I'm not really understanding the point of this ride. FOP, even though I have not ridden, and possibly may not be able to (fingers crossed :wizard: that I've dropped enough lbs) I think is impressive and that just uses tech we already have.

I don't know, but the river ride may be one of those one and done kinda deals.
The whole point of the ride is the scenery and the AA. It's the most advanced AA ever made and they want you to experience the bioluminescence. Many say it is re-rideable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter