Newbie seeking advice on current SSR offer

DVCKennyD

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

I am preparing to contact our guide, Megan Moriarity , tomorrow morning to purchase SSR points and still am unsure of some things. Primarily, I am still confused about the contract UY and what will be offered/still available... My wife and I have 3 little ones and will probably opt to travel during the school breaks (June,July, August). What UY would be most benificial with this in mind?? Having read some of the recent posts from others who have just purchased, I understand that Disney has offered the 06' points as well?? How does this work?? If I plan on a trip this summer, how would these points be allocated? Any advice or info. would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

Let your guide know that you will be traveling during the summer and that Banking concerns of a canceled trip is a big concern. So your looking for something in the June or before time frame.We have a June as we travel manly in the summer for our main vacation as well.

If you get your 06 points they could be used or banked for future use . This also depends on when your UY is and when your trip is.

You also do have a referral for the discount if not it's not to late you can get one if needed Pm me.

Your use year has nothing to do with when you travel or when you can book your travel. You are always able to book 11 months ahead for a ressie at your home resort and 7 months ahead for a non-home resort. The use year is only of importance if you are in the habit of changing or cancelling trips close to the date of travel. In 10 years of membership, we have NEVER had to do that, even though our use year is March, and we frequently travel in December and January. That would be bad, should we need to cancel late, but I just don't see that happening often, so I wouldn't stress too much about the use year now. Besides, your travel plans will change over the years.

IF you will be allowed '06 points to bank DOES depend on the use year. The later in the year use years will have banking available yet. You can always ask your guide to see what is available when you purchase. There is usually something to choose from unless they are getting very close to selling out.

I would say June would be a good UY for you. If you ever had a situation where you had to cancel a June/Jul/Aug trip- you would have plenty of time to use those points.
Diane is right - it really doesn't make much dif other than that- I think if you choose June (and they have June available) they will have already banked those points for you- then you will get your points times 2 on the 1st of your UY month 2007. But check with your guide.

This may be too late, but we are in the same situation; kids in school, travel in June. Our guide highly recommended buying a December UY. They currently have Dec. 06 for sale. This gives us a better opportunity to bank all of the points for next year should we need to cancel our June 07 trip. If you are planning to go this Summer, you may wish to consider this.

This may be too late, but we are in the same situation; kids in school, travel in June. Our guide highly recommended buying a December UY. They currently have Dec. 06 for sale. This gives us a better opportunity to bank all of the points for next year should we need to cancel our June 07 trip. If you are planning to go this Summer, you may wish to consider this.

I am willing to bet that your guide highly recommended Dec. UY because that is what DVC has right now. For June, July, Aug. travel, a June UY is best.

What others have said is true--you can travel any time of year no matter what your UY is. Some on these boards say that UY never makes any difference at all. I disagree--I think that UY is very important and would make sure that you get the one that is right for you. Anything Feb. - June would work well for those who strictly travel in the summer months. An August UY could spell disaster if you have to cancel a trip.

The reason UY is important is due to banking/borrowing deadlines.

Good luck and let us know when we can welcome you home!

We also have older kids High School, Jr High, the majority of our travel is done in summer or, as in the case of this year during spring break. We are also known to take off during long weekends. So I guess what I am asking is if we have a Dec UY (which we do) if I bank all my points as soon as get them and just borrow from next year why does your UY matter.

This is my first of many potentially dumb questions
ha

Rob

I am willing to bet that your guide highly recommended Dec. UY because that is what DVC has right now. For June, July, Aug. travel, a June UY is best.

I agree June UY is the best, but they are not available. What was available when I called was Aug, Sept, Oct, (Nov?) and December. For our June trips and the choices we had, Dec.UY was best. If you buy SSR from Disney right now, those are your choices. If you want a June UY, you'll have to look at resales.

But I'm new to this also so listen closely to the Board's veterans as well as asking your guide!

Welcome Chuck!

UY is not real important when making ressies, but is important for cancelling/changing ressies.

Everyone can book their home resort 11 month in advance regardless of their ues year.

Lets use an example.

You *ALWAYS* travel in October. If you had an October Use Year, your points are good starting October 1 of any given year and expire September 30th the next year. (i.e. October 1, 2007 - September 30, 2008).

Say you had to cancel an October trip, you could bank those points into the next Use Year (October 1, 2008 - September 30, 2009). 100% of your points can be booked up to March 31, 2008, 50% June 30, 2008 or 25% July 31, 2008 (During Normal MS Business Hours!)

On the other hand, if you had a December UY, your points are good starting December 1 of any year, and expire November 30 the next year. In this case, cancelling an October ressie, you can no longer bank your points, and must use them or loose them by November 30. It is too late to trade into Interval International, although you could still transfer them.

No matter what use year you have, you can book October 1st, 11 Months in advance or starting November 2nd, the year before your vacation.

Hope that helps!

Also, life brings changes, more guests, retirement, moving, job changes, school schedules, your preferred travel dates may change, your Use Year will not!

-Tony

From another thread, just adjust the months manually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter