New Orleans Port for Magic

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
About how long does that take?
I don’t see how they do that in the dark both coming and going? February it’ll be dark around 4:30 in the evening which I think is before we even sail out.
Thank you your comments are always so helpful to me. ❤️
It’s not dark at 4:30. Not sure where you live, but New Orleans’ southern latitude means that it doesn’t get dark as early as more northerly locations.

You will have full daylight as the ship sails out of sight of New Orleans. Sunset is probably closer to 5:45-6:00 that time of year, and I think it takes about 7-8 hours to get to open water.

And ships are going up and down the Mississippi 24/7. It is very well marked with lights, buoys and transponders, and the ships all have GPS, too. Navigation at night is not a problem.

And I’m glad my posts can be helpful to you from time to time. Thanks for the thanks.

BrokeMack

DIS Veteran
How did you get to the port? Uber ? Taxi? Walk? Any hotels that are close walking distance?
Thanks.
Several right across the street. Still about a 10 minute walk because you have to go around the convention center, but easy to do. We liked the Marriott Warehouse/Arts District.

Snowwhyt

I feel the Magic with every visit ❤️
It’s not dark at 4:30. Not sure where you live, but New Orleans’ southern latitude means that it doesn’t get dark as early as more northerly locations.

You will have full daylight as the ship sails out of sight of New Orleans. Sunset is probably closer to 5:45-6:00 that time of year, and I think it takes about 7-8 hours to get to open water.

And ships are going up and down the Mississippi 24/7. It is very well marked with lights, buoys and transponders, and the ships all have GPS, too. Navigation at night is not a problem.

And I’m glad my posts can be helpful to you from time to time. Thanks for the thanks.
Yup, Green Bay in mid Wisconsin. Night starts at 4:30 for us.
We have a little splurge for this trip and got a veranda this time. More room because of the scooter we bring now. Breaks my heart having to watch my dad not be able to open the veranda door though.

anricat

DIS Veteran
Looks like on the first cruise in New Orleans next year, sunset on Feb 18 is 5:52 with twilight ending at 6:15 and on April 10, for the last one, it's 7:26 with twilight ending at 7:48.

But in Green Bay, it isn't that far off on Feb 18 with a sunset of 5:26 and twilight end of 5:54. That's not even a 30 min difference.

I see that solstice sunset of 4:15 in Green Bay and do not envy you. Yuck!

tidefan

DIS Veteran
If you are any kind of history buff at all, do not miss the National D-Day museum. It is in the old factory where they made the Higgins boats (the landing craft for D-Day). It is one of the best I've been to.

Oh, and eat well. Commander's Palace, Mothers, Emeril's, Cochon, Velvet Cactus, Mulate's, Cafe Du Monde, the Central Grocery, the list goes on and on...

Book your Disney Cruise through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive a Shipboard Credit and an Exclusive Gift Basket!