• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Orleans Port for Magic

Am I the only one that thinks Cafe du Monde is incredibly overrated and touristy with greasy dried up husks pretending to be beignets? There HAVE to be better beignets in NOLA. I mean, I'm going to be honest, I thought the ones on the Wonder were better and I didn't even think they were the best I've ever had (which, for the record, were at the now closed Crescent City Coffeehouse in downtown Austin in the early 2000's).

no, not alone at all. i think the beignets at Disney's french quarter are better. and the service.....well i probably wouldn't be too happy either dealing with so many tourists day in and day out.
they are not bad by any means but not worth the wait or the hype.

If you are any kind of history buff at all, do not miss the National D-Day museum. It is in the old factory where they made the Higgins boats (the landing craft for D-Day). It is one of the best I've been to.

Oh, and eat well. Commander's Palace, Mothers, Emeril's, Cochon, Velvet Cactus, Mulate's, Cafe Du Monde, the Central Grocery, the list goes on and on...
We sailed on the March 2022 WBPC and stayed at the Higgins Hotel across the street from the museum. The Higgins was wonderful btw. I would definitely stay there again if sailing out of NOLA. Our original plan was to arrive a few days early and visit the museum but after giving it some thought about Mardi Gras, getting covid testing after flying and being around multiple other people indoors, or worse getting sick on the ship and have to quarantine while the ship passes through the PC, we decided to skip the museum. I'd still love to visit it but my first priority was staying healthy to be able to board the ship and see the PC. I know I was getting a little nuts there when I decided not to do any excursions until after the PC transit, just in case. It would be my luck to get covid during a Cozumel excursion and miss the canal.
It all worked out fine but we're doing the WBPC again in Oct. I feel like I need a do-over without all the covid stress I had last time.

Am I the only one that thinks Cafe du Monde is incredibly overrated and touristy with greasy dried up husks pretending to be beignets? There HAVE to be better beignets in NOLA. I mean, I'm going to be honest, I thought the ones on the Wonder were better and I didn't even think they were the best I've ever had (which, for the record, were at the now closed Crescent City Coffeehouse in downtown Austin in the early 2000's).
Touristy? In the Riverwalk and French Quarter location, absolutely. But everything is touristy in those areas.

I agree that the FQ location is a madhouse, focused on table turnover more than anything else. No beignet is worth that wait.

In the other locations - like Metairie and Covington, for example - they are just fine.

And if you are getting their beignets fresh out of the fryer, we think they are great. We have never been tempted to go elsewhere.

All that said, the Wonder’s beignets were actually pretty good, but nobody here eats beignets with drizzle or dipping sauces. 😉

Looks like there are some places outside the city as you travel to Orlando.

Morning Call and Cafe Du Monde at City Park just up I-10 are more suburban settings. Get to Slidell and there is a well-reviewed shop in a strip shopping center. Any place you can see your car and in a suburban area should give you greater peace of mind. And most of these places have > 4-star reviews.

View attachment 742086

This is exactly what I needed, THANK YOU! I wish we had more time to see the city, and maybe someday we will. But for this trip we are in a hurry to get to Universal that night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter