New Orleans Port for Magic

About how long does that take?
I don’t see how they do that in the dark both coming and going? February it’ll be dark around 4:30 in the evening which I think is before we even sail out.
Thank you your comments are always so helpful to me. ❤️
It’s not dark at 4:30. Not sure where you live, but New Orleans’ southern latitude means that it doesn’t get dark as early as more northerly locations.

You will have full daylight as the ship sails out of sight of New Orleans. Sunset is probably closer to 5:45-6:00 that time of year, and I think it takes about 7-8 hours to get to open water.

And ships are going up and down the Mississippi 24/7. It is very well marked with lights, buoys and transponders, and the ships all have GPS, too. Navigation at night is not a problem.

And I’m glad my posts can be helpful to you from time to time. Thanks for the thanks.

How did you get to the port? Uber ? Taxi? Walk? Any hotels that are close walking distance?
Thanks.
Several right across the street. Still about a 10 minute walk because you have to go around the convention center, but easy to do. We liked the Marriott Warehouse/Arts District.

It’s not dark at 4:30. Not sure where you live, but New Orleans’ southern latitude means that it doesn’t get dark as early as more northerly locations.

You will have full daylight as the ship sails out of sight of New Orleans. Sunset is probably closer to 5:45-6:00 that time of year, and I think it takes about 7-8 hours to get to open water.

And ships are going up and down the Mississippi 24/7. It is very well marked with lights, buoys and transponders, and the ships all have GPS, too. Navigation at night is not a problem.

And I’m glad my posts can be helpful to you from time to time. Thanks for the thanks.
Yup, Green Bay in mid Wisconsin. Night starts at 4:30 for us.
We have a little splurge for this trip and got a veranda this time. More room because of the scooter we bring now. Breaks my heart having to watch my dad not be able to open the veranda door though.

Looks like on the first cruise in New Orleans next year, sunset on Feb 18 is 5:52 with twilight ending at 6:15 and on April 10, for the last one, it's 7:26 with twilight ending at 7:48.

But in Green Bay, it isn't that far off on Feb 18 with a sunset of 5:26 and twilight end of 5:54. That's not even a 30 min difference.

I see that solstice sunset of 4:15 in Green Bay and do not envy you. Yuck!

If you are any kind of history buff at all, do not miss the National D-Day museum. It is in the old factory where they made the Higgins boats (the landing craft for D-Day). It is one of the best I've been to.

Oh, and eat well. Commander's Palace, Mothers, Emeril's, Cochon, Velvet Cactus, Mulate's, Cafe Du Monde, the Central Grocery, the list goes on and on...

I'm looking at this cruise for spring break 2023. This would be my first time out of NOLA. I know its about a 30 minute uber to the airport, but what time is normal debarkation? Looking at flights, and there is an 11:00am flight out that is cheap, but want to make sure I can make it.

Thanks

I'm looking at this cruise for spring break 2023. This would be my first time out of NOLA. I know its about a 30 minute uber to the airport, but what time is normal debarkation? Looking at flights, and there is an 11:00am flight out that is cheap, but want to make sure I can make it.

Thanks
It looks like DCL doesn't recommend flights before 11:45am. That probably means 99% of the time you'd be fine with the 11am flight, but if the ship is delayed debarking or there is a traffic issue DCL won't help. The below info from their website indicates 2022 but I doubt that would change for 2023.

Guests Arranging Independent Air Travel

For the New Orleans to New Orleans sailings in 2022, we recommend the following flight-time guidelines:
  • Latest arrival time to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport on Embarkation Day: 1:30 PM
  • Earliest departure time from Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:45 AM

It looks like DCL doesn't recommend flights before 11:45am. That probably means 99% of the time you'd be fine with the 11am flight, but if the ship is delayed debarking or there is a traffic issue DCL won't help. The below info from their website indicates 2022 but I doubt that would change for 2023.

Guests Arranging Independent Air Travel

For the New Orleans to New Orleans sailings in 2022, we recommend the following flight-time guidelines:
  • Latest arrival time to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport on Embarkation Day: 1:30 PM
  • Earliest departure time from Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:45 AM
Thanks Lanejudy! This is awesome.

I'm looking into the Magic for 3/3/23. I've never been to New Orleans but would love to see it pre cruise. We'd be flying in and would actually like to stay close to the French Qtr, is there any reason not to? I tend to get overwhelmed trying to go somewhere new so that's why 99% of our vacations are Disney World. :rotfl: :rotfl:

First time sailing out of NOLA and we are driving to Orlando to do Universal for a few nights after we get off the ship (don't ask why we didn't sail from PC, that's a long story!) That being said, we had plans to try some beignets in New Orleans and were wondering if we could make this a quick stop on our drive out.

We will have our car in the parking garage at the port and then we will have our luggage from the ship. I am afraid to leave our luggage-filled car ANYWHERE in the city. I also don't want to be lugging our suitcases around. Is there any way we could quickly stop and get beignets that has safe parking nearby?

Two places I can think of are not directly on the way out and may be a little backtracking, but better than trying to go to Cafe Du Monde in the French quarter. One is Morning Call on Canal Blvd. they have parking on the back side, may not be the safest for parking but shouldn’t take too long to get an order. Other is the Cafe Du Monde in Metairie on Veterans Blvd. would be backtracking a little, but probably a safer place and usually not too busy so can be in an out quick (or if you are getting them to go, they have a drive through).

Last edited:
Lots of good information this this thread, we did the Wonder of New Orleans last year and had a blast. Got into the city a few days early to enjoy a few things. Stayed at Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter. Was a great hotel and one of the few in the city that has an indoor pool which was key for my kids. Relatively reasonable walking distance to anywhere in town. Felt very safe walking around during the day. Would recommend sticking to the pool at night. We did one of the paid walking tours for a few hours and really enjoyed it, also did the aquarium which was fun. Took an Uber to port. There's also a Walgreens right next to the hotel for easy pickup of anything you need. Cafe du Monde was our favorite! Also highly reccomend Mother's Restaurant for great and easily accessible food for families if you want some good grub but not a fancy sit down. The photos on the wall of the celebrities are worth going alone.

We stayed at the Marriott warehouse arts district. No complaints, recently renovated, new ish furniture etc. It was a 10-15 minute walk despite being literally right across the street (you have to go the long way around the convention center). Plenty of hotels along that road so stay wherever you've got points. You enter the riverside mall on Julia Street and then head south along the walkway to the terminal. I'd do it again the next time we sail out of NO.

Mack, did you have a vehicle? What type of parking options is at the Marriott warehouse district?

First time sailing out of NOLA and we are driving to Orlando to do Universal for a few nights after we get off the ship (don't ask why we didn't sail from PC, that's a long story!) That being said, we had plans to try some beignets in New Orleans and were wondering if we could make this a quick stop on our drive out.

We will have our car in the parking garage at the port and then we will have our luggage from the ship. I am afraid to leave our luggage-filled car ANYWHERE in the city. I also don't want to be lugging our suitcases around. Is there any way we could quickly stop and get beignets that has safe parking nearby?
There used to be a Cafe Du Monde in the Riverwalk. You should be able to leave the car in the parking garage and walk there quickly.

Sorry, no vehicle, don't know about parking. We flew in on Superb Owl Sunday, Ubered to the hotel, ate there, walked to the liquor store the next morning for carry-on Proseco, then walked to the terminal.

There used to be a Cafe Du Monde in the Riverwalk. You should be able to leave the car in the parking garage and walk there quickly.
I saw this on the map when I was looking, but my worry is that we will be taking our luggage to the car after debarkation, leaving it in the parking garage, and then walking to CDM - my fear is that someone lurking will spot this and then break into our car when we leave the garage. I know they have upped security lately so maybe I am worrying for nothing but I just don't want to be ignorant!

That being said, is there a safer parking garage near the port that would be better, even if it is more expensive?

you might also keep in mind that Disney passengers are being forced to use H lot this year. more info on this thread.
disboards.com/threads/nola-terminal-parking.3910314/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter