New Droids stopped Working

SteveHites

Earning My Ears
We purchased an R2 and a BB droid unit at Star Wars Disneyland on 12/20/19. The kids played with them back at the hotel for one hour. They turned off the two controllers (not the droids) and went swimming. When they returned, the BB droid would not move or make sounds, and the R2 unit worked for one minute and then it stopped, too. When we got home I replaced ALL the batteries in the droids and the controllers, and then followed the official online instructions to pair the units with the controllers again. The LED lights that are supposed to go on for Step One would not go on, indicating the new batteries are not getting power to the LED or the units. Does anyone have ANY repair or even replacement/return suggestions? We should have taken them back to the droid store that next morning to see what could have been done to fix them, but the little kids wanted to ride the rides and we didn’t get all the way back out to Star Wars Land. Again: any help is greatly appreciated.

We purchased an R2 and a BB droid unit at Star Wars Disneyland on 12/20/19. The kids played with them back at the hotel for one hour. They turned off the two controllers (not the droids) and went swimming. When they returned, the BB droid would not move or make sounds, and the R2 unit worked for one minute and then it stopped, too. When we got home I replaced ALL the batteries in the droids and the controllers, and then followed the official online instructions to pair the units with the controllers again. The LED lights that are supposed to go on for Step One would not go on, indicating the new batteries are not getting power to the LED or the units. Does anyone have ANY repair or even replacement/return suggestions? We should have taken them back to the droid store that next morning to see what could have been done to fix them, but the little kids wanted to ride the rides and we didn’t get all the way back out to Star Wars Land. Again: any help is greatly appreciated.
Any luck finding help???? Our R2 D2 unit is having problems.... when you turn it on the light flashes, it beeps 4 times and does nothing. My 5 year old is heart broken. Saw it work when they turned it on at the droid depot and never even got to try it. 🙁

Any luck finding help???? Our R2 D2 unit is having problems.... when you turn it on the light flashes, it beeps 4 times and does nothing. My 5 year old is heart broken. Saw it work when they turned it on at the droid depot and never even got to try it. 🙁
Have either of you tried asking for suggestions in the DLR SWGE Superthread: New SWGE Superthread! Now Open to All! (6/24/2019)? Someone there might have had a similar experience and might have an answer!
@Leanne9458: Welcome to the DIS!

Unfortunately no. There has been no reply at all. We of course were very busy over the holidays, so the broken droids were quietly set aside at the grandparents house while we try to get help. Our problem is that I cannot find any “Help” or even “Return for Repairs” site for these higher tech Disney toys. It is a failing in their system, intentioned or not. There should be an ombudsman at Disney to take care of these questions. I am certain we are not the only ones with these problems right now.

Have you tried calling Disney Merchandise Guest Services? The number‭ is 877-560-6477

I have successfully returned/exchanged WDW products with them. They also service Disneyland. I believe the return policy is 30 days with a receipt.

They also have a Conceirge service to purchase items direct from the parks. We used it just a couple of months ago to purchase artwork from Art of Disney WDW, and, if needed, Disneyland.

I am sure they can help you or at least point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Not sure on the R2D2 as its switch is at the bottom but DD has the BB8 droid, it wouldn't work shortly after playing with it at the hotel. I went all the way back to Droid Depot to return it only for them to show me that the BB8's motor will go into sleep mode to conserve battery power. Not sure if you have tried it but twist the top and bottom to remove the cover and get to the motor on BB8, there is an on/off switch, toggle that as well as the remote on/off and see if that works.

Hi, my 10yo son received this BB-8 for Christmas and now it is turning itself off within a minute of play. All batteries were replaced and it made no difference.

Months later from your posts, have any of you had any luck figuring out a fix? We are so bummed!

I found a Reddit thread that may help. I don't have a visual on what the controls look like, but that page mentions some button sequences to try.
Hey, thanks for the help, but sadly this isn't the same issue we're experiencing. With ours the remote works fine with the droid, the droid is just shutting down after about a minute (makes the beep beep booo... sound and then stops). Thank you anyway! We have an email out to Disney now... we'll see what they come back with.

Any luck with the email response? Both our R2 and BB8 aren’t working. Same issue - turns in briefly then shuts off

Shut off the droid and turn it back on.
Near the switch, there's another control with a radio wave symbol near it, hold that down.
Now bring your controller near the droid and hold the forwards and accessory button. (Upper left buttons.)
If done correctly, your droid should start again.

Shut off the droid and turn it back on.
Near the switch, there's another control with a radio wave symbol near it, hold that down.
Now bring your controller near the droid and hold the forwards and accessory button. (Upper left buttons.)
If done correctly, your droid should start again.

I think the remote keeps disconnecting from the droid a d you have to constantly reset it. I downloaded the droid depot app, connected the app via Bluetooth (turn off droid remote first), and pair it. My kid played with it for an hour and worked like a charm next day. Droid remote is just a POS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter